VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMOHT View Post
I am confused. What is 0032450300 now. I had all recals showing as closed on my car but today that one popped up. Is it for the cruise control? I am getting tired of those 2.5h visits to the dealership.
Yes, that one is for cruise control. You also receive an iDrive update which begs the question, why couldn’t this entire thing be done via OTA? My service advisor did tell me it’s 3 to 5 hours of programming.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15559.00
edhgen13.50
      06-19-2023, 08:15 PM   #134
SouthFLGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

I had the cruise control update completed today - does anyone know what it actually changed?
Appreciate 1
edhgen13.50
      06-19-2023, 08:49 PM   #135
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Yes, that one is for cruise control. You also receive an iDrive update which begs the question, why couldn’t this entire thing be done via OTA? My service advisor did tell me it’s 3 to 5 hours of programming.
Which is the same question I had - to all appearances this was just a version update, and not a big one at that. Maybe because it involved a Stop Sale, but those could have been resolved at the dealer level and everyone else given an OTA update. Or maybe because versions are now all over the map, from 11/2022.64 (maybe earlier) up to 3/2023.65 and all aren't capable of OTA.

All I know is that BMW has been in the OTA business for a long time for this to be such a recurrent problem now with their latest generation cars, and given the frequency of recent updates, some getting-our-Teutonic-act-together is in order before they start looking like the Katzenjammer Kids (not that they don't already).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 08:52 PM   #136
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Which is the same question I had - to all appearances this was just a version update, and not a big one at that. Maybe because it involved a Stop Sale, but those could have been resolved at the dealer level and everyone else given an OTA update. Or maybe because versions are now all over the map, from 11/2022.64 (maybe earlier) up to 3/2023.65 and all aren't capable of OTA.

All I know is that BMW has been in the OTA business for a long time for this to be such a recurrent problem now with their latest generation cars, and given the frequency of recent updates, some getting-our-Teutonic-act-together is in order before they start looking like the Katzenjammer Kids (not that they don't already).
I really want to love this vehicle, but I still haven’t received a single OTA update since I bought the vehicle in January. This and the continuous IP address issues that you and I have talked about so many times are starting to take its toll on me.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 09:03 PM   #137
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I really want to love this vehicle, but I still haven’t received a single OTA update since I bought the vehicle in January. This and the continuous IP address issues that you and I have talked about so many times are starting to take its toll on me.
I do love both of mine, for their handling, comfort and performance, but (and even though it's ahead of some competitors), the software in these things doesn't qualify as Beta in some instances. To appearances they un-learned what they had all but perfected in iD7, which was by some regarded as the pinnacle of the industry, and apparently started over again in the basement. I really do hope they progress quickly - as they did with multiple iterations of X5s I owned - and iron out what should be the least important feature of a car experience (software should be invisible - it should just work, and be unnoticed by the driver). BMW has put it front and center, a red-headed, bad-tempered stepchild with freckles and warts, and doesn't seem able to make it cuter no matter what they do.
Appreciate 3
      06-19-2023, 09:06 PM   #138
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I do love both of mine, for their handling, comfort and performance, but (and even though it's ahead of some competitors), the software in these things doesn't qualify as Beta in some instances. To appearances they un-learned what they had all but perfected in iD7, which was by some regarded as the pinnacle of the industry, and apparently started over again in the basement. I really do hope they progress quickly - as they did with multiple iterations of X5s I owned - and iron out what should be the least important feature of a car experience (software should be invisible - it should just work, and be unnoticed by the driver). BMW has put it front and center, a red-headed, bad-tempered stepchild with freckles and warts, and doesn't seem able to make it cuter no matter what they do.
They could also establish the strategy and stick to it instead of pivoting what feels like every three months. I am definitely a 100% BMW fanboy, but I will consider going to a different vehicle manufacturer if this nonsense continues. CarPlay 2.0 vehicles will be announced later this year and that’s really important to me. BMW wants no part of it so far.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15559.00
      06-19-2023, 11:39 PM   #139
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
iDrive 7! When we are in our B8 and X5....I am reminded how much iDrive 7 is much better than iDrive 8. I so agree, iDrive 7 was the pinnacle!
Appreciate 1
Paladin15559.00
      06-20-2023, 03:38 AM   #140
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
…a red-headed, bad-tempered stepchild with freckles and warts, and doesn't seem able to make it cuter...
Hey!
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15559.00
      06-20-2023, 07:43 AM   #141
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Hey!
I meant an underappreciated, auburn-haired extended-family child, just growing out of their braces and about to blossom into a swan! Which, hopefully, BMW will do....
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2023, 02:32 PM   #142
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch100 View Post
iDrive 7! When we are in our B8 and X5....I am reminded how much iDrive 7 is much better than iDrive 8. I so agree, iDrive 7 was the pinnacle!
what specifically are you missing from ID7?

I know I used to like using my 1-8 shortcuts. I had them setup like this:
1- split screen. This was not as useful as in previous versions of idrive and so I almost never used it in practice. This would be useless in ID8.
2- climate settings in order to quickly access the top vent temperature setting that we used to have on scroll wheels in previous cars. This could be useful in ID8 as well but I have not fiddled with it much.
3- Satellite radio timeshift. This would be useful.
4- empty
5- I think I had as route preview. Didn't use it much.
6- empty
7- stop navigation. This is available on the nav screen and so not really needed.
8- navigate home. I now have set this as a gesture instead and works decently most of the time.

I have put a few things in my ID8 shortcuts but I find that I just don't use them very often.

The menu navigation is a bit different from ID7 but I am able to quickly find stuff in ID8 so it mustn't be too bad of a design. Not the prettiest with the square "app" icons but still useable. Not great to go through those icons when driving though.

I would prefer hard buttons for climate control, but with that said, I personally really like how the auto climate in the iX works which makes less necessary to use the buttons. In my X5, the buttons I used the most were the seat vent/heating which I find works well in the auto climate in ID8. I didn't like that in ID7, they used one button for both which tried to guess what you want and in my case, I used ventilation even in cold weather so it guessed wrong half the year. Also, in ID8 I don't even need to press to activate them nor do I have to press to deactivate the heated seats once the seat gets warm due to how the auto climate works.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 04:47 PM   #143
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
what specifically are you missing from ID7?

I know I used to like using my 1-8 shortcuts. I had them setup like this:
1- split screen. This was not as useful as in previous versions of idrive and so I almost never used it in practice. This would be useless in ID8.
2- climate settings in order to quickly access the top vent temperature setting that we used to have on scroll wheels in previous cars. This could be useful in ID8 as well but I have not fiddled with it much.
3- Satellite radio timeshift. This would be useful.
4- empty
5- I think I had as route preview. Didn't use it much.
6- empty
7- stop navigation. This is available on the nav screen and so not really needed.
8- navigate home. I now have set this as a gesture instead and works decently most of the time.

I have put a few things in my ID8 shortcuts but I find that I just don't use them very often.

The menu navigation is a bit different from ID7 but I am able to quickly find stuff in ID8 so it mustn't be too bad of a design. Not the prettiest with the square "app" icons but still useable. Not great to go through those icons when driving though.

I would prefer hard buttons for climate control, but with that said, I personally really like how the auto climate in the iX works which makes less necessary to use the buttons. In my X5, the buttons I used the most were the seat vent/heating which I find works well in the auto climate in ID8. I didn't like that in ID7, they used one button for both which tried to guess what you want and in my case, I used ventilation even in cold weather so it guessed wrong half the year. Also, in ID8 I don't even need to press to activate them nor do I have to press to deactivate the heated seats once the seat gets warm due to how the auto climate works.
I really miss the 1-8 preset buttons. It might be because I have had them in every BMW in the last 10 years, and the i4 and iX are the first BMWs I have owned without them. The "quick shortcut 'buttons' " on the iX, are not a shortcut to me really.

I personally do not like the look of the squares on the iDrive 8 iX Home Screen. It looks kind of "VW iD4" to me, but not as bad of course at the VW.

I also find the iDrive 7 in our '22 B8 Alpina and '23 X5M to be faster. I do not find the iDrive 8 to be really that laggy, but I just feel the iDrive 7 is smoother, slightly quicker and more intuitive.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15559.00
ggalanis2463.00
      06-20-2023, 05:09 PM   #144
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here was the best part about iDrive 6 and iDrive 7: They worked (including the LTE hotspot).. 😂😂😂
Appreciate 4
Paladin15559.00
deutsch1003977.50
edhgen13.50
      06-22-2023, 06:58 PM   #145
Moridin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

3/2023.65 was pushed to my iX OTA this afternoon. Hopefully that means no dealer visit for the recall. Curious when https://bmw-recall-tool.netlify.app/ shows the recall as closing.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 07:37 PM   #146
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
OMG, I never thought I’d see the day. My first OTA update since owning the vehicle for 6 months..
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Paladin15559.00
deutsch1003977.50
      06-22-2023, 11:36 PM   #147
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
As a PSA, my SA reports hearing from other dealers of some bricked iXs as a result of this update (unknown number), so cautionary notes of parking outside, with flatbed access still apply. This has always been true, even with the mature OTA process for X5s. He anticipates a patch when the dust settles (maybe to test the OTA process), short or long date TBD, but may not be pushed to updates that didn't require dealer intervention.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003977.50
      06-22-2023, 11:41 PM   #148
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As a PSA, my SA reports hearing from other dealers of some bricked iXs as a result of this update (unknown number), so cautionary notes of parking outside, with flatbed access still apply. This has always been true, even with the mature OTA process for X5s. He anticipates a patch when the dust settles (maybe to test the OTA process), short or long date TBD, but may not be pushed to updates that didn't require dealer intervention.
I’m just happy I don’t have to go to the dealer for the cruise control recall now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Paladin15559.00
deutsch1003977.50