05-07-2015, 07:50 AM   #89
mystopolis
Spectre
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw i8 white

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS2K View Post
Hi Guys, I'm a newby on this forum. A friend of mine indicated me that there was a thread about my car. The thread gave me the feeling that the moderaters don't feel the need to stick to the topic as it's now more of a discussion about electric, hybrid or combustion engines that will rule the world or are the solution .....

Aren't you all car lovers or petrolheads who discuss there admiration about specially BMW but also cars in general on this forum ?

Anyway, in reaction to all what's said about the dragrace that started this thread:

No, the I8 has no engine tuning
Yes, it's 2 centimeter lowered by Manhart Racing
Yes, the wheels are Manhart Racing
Yes, I won at this short track but wouldn't on the 1/4 mile to none of the components, simply the electric torc and 4 wheel drive that gives the advantage over the two wheel driven cars from a stand still.
No, the I8 is not a supercar, it simply has not enough horsepower. The car itself would be able to handle more horsepower as it handels superb on the track.
Yes, the I8 has the looks of a supercar and draws a lot of attention on the road
Yes, we love to drag against each other and see how our cars perform, we are all friends and take the opportunity to make fun, always with respect for our cars and ourselfes.

For me .... I bought the I8 because of it's futuristic approach as hybrid and styling. The mat white wrap does the shape of the car good. I enjoy driving it despite off the lack of engine noise and it's emotionless driving characteristics.

I'm not gonna try to convince anybody based on my emotions or motivation but it's a real privilege to drive this car every now and then.
If and when BMW brings out a stronger version it will sure be on my bucket list
thanks for bringing the thread back. Your car looks great I love the styling.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #90
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

Refreshing! We car lovers were just responding to haters. I think it's the supercar looks that throw people off. They keep comparing the i8 to cars with 100-200 more hp lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS2K View Post
Hi Guys, I'm a newby on this forum. A friend of mine indicated me that there was a thread about my car. The thread gave me the feeling that the moderaters don't feel the need to stick to the topic as it's now more of a discussion about electric, hybrid or combustion engines that will rule the world or are the solution .....

Aren't you all car lovers or petrolheads who discuss there admiration about specially BMW but also cars in general on this forum ?

Anyway, in reaction to all what's said about the dragrace that started this thread:

No, the I8 has no engine tuning
Yes, it's 2 centimeter lowered by Manhart Racing
Yes, the wheels are Manhart Racing
Yes, I won at this short track but wouldn't on the 1/4 mile to none of the components, simply the electric torc and 4 wheel drive that gives the advantage over the two wheel driven cars from a stand still.
No, the I8 is not a supercar, it simply has not enough horsepower. The car itself would be able to handle more horsepower as it handels superb on the track.
Yes, the I8 has the looks of a supercar and draws a lot of attention on the road
Yes, we love to drag against each other and see how our cars perform, we are all friends and take the opportunity to make fun, always with respect for our cars and ourselfes.

For me .... I bought the I8 because of it's futuristic approach as hybrid and styling. The mat white wrap does the shape of the car good. I enjoy driving it despite off the lack of engine noise and it's emotionless driving characteristics.

I'm not gonna try to convince anybody based on my emotions or motivation but it's a real privilege to drive this car every now and then.
If and when BMW brings out a stronger version it will sure be on my bucket list
      05-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #91
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpca356
Oops, I used brah because I thought that's the language you speak.

I do enjoy this beautiful car everyday and you would too if you had one.

Short drag race was what the video was about and I was just responding to your M4 vs i8 track times. It was never meant to even compete with the M4 and the fact that it is competitive in real life situations (unlike track times you posted) makes the i8 truly an outstanding car.

I'm so happy such amazing technological development didn't land in your hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCsquared View Post
No, YOU just don't get it lol. If you bought a car for a "short drag race", because "that's what matters in the streets", then you purchased the wrong vehicle, "brah".

It's sad such an amazing technological development landed in your hands

Have a good day and enjoy the beautiful car!
The i8 is very good at what it was designed for but to say that it is "competitive in real life situations" against an M4 is just ludicrous. I wouldn't consider 1/8 mile or even 1/4 mile races representations of real life situations. If anything most races in the real world take place while the vehicles are already in motion, at or around highway speeds, where the i8 really struggles. Not to discredit the car but it's beyond apples and oranges. Lots of videos like the one with the manual M4 with a useless driver seem to be floating around the Internet and when taken out of context can be very misleading, and that is really what's to blame when it comes to all these people who don't get the i8 and keep trying to draw comparisons between it and performance focused cars.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #92
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Calssy i8 driver flipping the Porsche lol.
      05-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #93
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
The i8 is very good at what it was designed for but to say that it is "competitive in real life situations" against an M4 is just ludicrous. I wouldn't consider 1/8 mile or even 1/4 mile races representations of real life situations. If anything most races in the real world take place while the vehicles are already in motion, at or around highway speeds, where the i8 really struggles. Not to discredit the car but it's beyond apples and oranges. Lots of videos like the one with the manual M4 with a useless driver seem to be floating around the Internet and when taken out of context can be very misleading, and that is really what's to blame when it comes to all these people who don't get the i8 and keep trying to draw comparisons between it and performance focused cars.
Not disagreeing with your general assessment, but where I live for some reason most "real life" situations I run into with M owners (or Porsche owners) is they want to race from red light in the middle of congested areas (yes, sigh).

In that case I can always have a lot of fun. Actually one time I had a lot of fun with a Porsche owner in my Leaf in a 0 to 40 mph drag race (unintended on my part).
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #94
mystopolis
Spectre
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw i8 white

and an even longer vid...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 01:15 PM   #95
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Looks like the i8 false started almost every time. And, unsurprisingly, won. The starts with the Porsches were pretty much even and the Porsches kicked the i8's ass.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #96
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystopolis View Post
and an even longer vid...
thanks

just makes me think when bmw release a faster i8 it will demolish all those cars it was close too in the drag race
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 04:05 AM   #97
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
This is only true on a full on continues straight line drag race. If you are talking about a track or an actual circuit where you accelerate and decelerate the engine will charge the battery.
I don't know which tracks you're driving on but after one lap at Hockenheim - which was quoted earlier on here - the battery of the i8 is empty. Meaning that after 1:15 minutes you cannot drive the i8 fast anymore, whereas with any petrol engined car you can do so until the tank is empty. Which takes 3 minutes to fill up, and then you go again. Impossible with the i8.

But then it's not designed for that anyway. I think people always make the mistake of comparing it to sports cars - it isn't really one, except for the looks. Which is fine, as looks are also an aesthetic pleasure and why shouldn't people buy it based on that, plus the image of a technology showcase.
      05-11-2015, 05:59 AM   #98
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I don't know which tracks you're driving on but after one lap at Hockenheim - which was quoted earlier on here - the battery of the i8 is empty. Meaning that after 1:15 minutes you cannot drive the i8 fast anymore, whereas with any petrol engined car you can do so until the tank is empty. Which takes 3 minutes to fill up, and then you go again. Impossible with the i8.

But then it's not designed for that anyway. I think people always make the mistake of comparing it to sports cars - it isn't really one, except for the looks. Which is fine, as looks are also an aesthetic pleasure and why shouldn't people buy it based on that, plus the image of a technology showcase.
Actually it is quite a sporty car, and no, it is not meant to compete with all sports car in all situations, but it just so happens to do so very effectively in certain conditions. Yes on some tracks it may run out of battery, but again depending on conditions it may not.

But you are also quite dead on correct: it is a technology showcase. For the same dollars there are much better pure sports cars that can be had. And there are also much more "showy" cars that can be had. But nothing out there right now in that range has the multiple personalities of the i8. And if it wasn't for the front tires I have to say it handles very competitively.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #99
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

I don't know where you get your info but your dead wrong.

I drove my i8 WOT for a lot more than 1:15 minutes and after at least 5 laps, my batteries were fuller than the beginning of the session.

The battery charges when you drive it hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post

05-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #100
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpca356 View Post
I don't know where you get your info but your dead wrong.

I drove my i8 WOT for a lot more than 1:15 minutes and after at least 5 laps, my batteries were fuller than the beginning of the session.

The battery charges when you drive it hard
Second that, i8 regenerates e-charge quite effectively when driven in sports mode and even when driving in non-track driving conditions (streets and freeways -except when it's stuck in traffic).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #101
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

[QUOTE=kip1;17865623]another bmw board where this one dude was saying Tesla handles better than a Lotus Elise☺. He also said awd makes the car handle better. QUOTE]

Priceless
Appreciate 0