Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

06-28-2020, 04:46 AM   #1
RA67052
Rep
Drives: 320d F30 2014 ED Bus Edition

Post Getting a new i3s, should I worry about running out juice?

Greetings,
I'm a UK company car driver (and BMW lover) who has opted for a BMW i3s as I'll pay next to nothing in tax for the next four years and the first tax year is zero

Being an EV virgin and ploughing through the web, I'm looking to get a feel for what is the chance of running out of juice? For example, how possible is it that I plan to go to a charge point, find out when I get there it's out of order and do not have enough juice to get me to the next one?

Should I always hedge my bets and do a couple of small charges enough to get me to my destination if it's over 100 miles?

I've been considering for emergencies buying a small gen set that could maybe get me out of hole if I needed it, has anyone done this?

Last edited by RA67052; 06-28-2020 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: amended the heading
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
gearhead26
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Coupe

I am on my 4th EV. The 2019 i3 has navigation with POI that displays charging stations. You can find whether these charging stations are active using the ChargePoint App (live status) or PlugShare App(community feedback).

I am not sure if you are considering the Rex (2.1 gallon gas-powered engine), but this can also be an option if you have range anxiety.

FWIW, I routinely do a 170 one-way drive on my Rex in CA. I stop about halfway to recharge using DC quick charge (~15 mins) and I can make it there completely without needing the gas engine. Quick Charge / Level 3 makes a big difference - my local stations can draw about 50kW so I just need about 15 mins to charge about 20% of the battery. The i3 does not taper battery charging like some other EVs, meaning it will draw the full 50kW until about 80% - some other EVs like the Chevy Bolt will taper battery charge and cut the charge rate before 80% to preserve battery longevity.

Happy to answer more questions if you have any other.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
frenzy757
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MB M2cs, 2022 X5e, 2008 T4R

Rex here

FWIW, I have the Rex and coded it (in the USA) where I can turn it on at 75%...that basically turns the car into a Hybrid of sorts where the battery remains pretty consistently at 75% or whenever you turn it on and uses the REx. It lasts around 50-80 miles depending on driving habits...so you have to go to a gas station that often, but honestly, I didn't mind...as it is a good excuse to take a break and it takes no time to fill it up.

I only did this when I knew I was driving a lot that day (well over 250 miles) and didn't want to deal with public chargers.

For daily and normal use, ive rarely ever even used the Rex, as it is mostly a commuter car. So depending on what you need it for, I might just skip the Rex if you have a second car for longer road trips, but if it is your only car, the Rex can make it last a long time. I am happy with it.

Past: a91 ref blue Zupra, 86 Starion, 350z, Supra TT Auto, Supra TT 6 spd, IM/IM E46 M3, BMW 1m Coupe x2, S2000, 987.2 CS, ND2 MX5, LSB e46 M3 x2, 993 911
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 07:21 AM   #4
RA67052
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead26 View Post
I am on my 4th EV. The 2019 i3 has navigation with POI that displays charging stations. You can find whether these charging stations are active using the ChargePoint App (live status) or PlugShare App(community feedback).

I am not sure if you are considering the Rex (2.1 gallon gas-powered engine), but this can also be an option if you have range anxiety.

FWIW, I routinely do a 170 one-way drive on my Rex in CA. I stop about halfway to recharge using DC quick charge (~15 mins) and I can make it there completely without needing the gas engine. Quick Charge / Level 3 makes a big difference - my local stations can draw about 50kW so I just need about 15 mins to charge about 20% of the battery. The i3 does not taper battery charging like some other EVs, meaning it will draw the full 50kW until about 80% - some other EVs like the Chevy Bolt will taper battery charge and cut the charge rate before 80% to preserve battery longevity.

Happy to answer more questions if you have any other.
Thanks for your reply this was really helpful, sadly in Europe they have withdrawn the Rex from production.

Quick question, I know the aircon can impact the battery level and charging mobiles, is it possible to have the car on charge and heat it at the same time?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
note46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe, 328d SW, i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA67052 View Post
Thanks for your reply this was really helpful, sadly in Europe they have withdrawn the Rex from production.

Quick question, I know the aircon can impact the battery level and charging mobiles, is it possible to have the car on charge and heat it at the same time?

Cheers
Yup

In my experience heating the car makes a bigger impact on soc than using AC. But my non-rex i3 doesn't have the heat pump. Heat pump will reduce the impact on soc when using the heater.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
RA67052
Rep

Cheers,
Thankfully I paid for the heatpump upgrade
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 07:29 PM   #7
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘18 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Greetings,
I'm a UK company car driver (and BMW lover) who has opted for a BMW i3s as I'll pay next to nothing in tax for the next four years and the first tax year is zero

Being an EV virgin and ploughing through the web, I'm looking to get a feel for what is the chance of running out of juice? For example, how possible is it that I plan to go to a charge point, find out when I get there it's out of order and do not have enough juice to get me to the next one?

Should I always hedge my bets and do a couple of small charges enough to get me to my destination if it's over 100 miles?

I've been considering for emergencies buying a small gen set that could maybe get me out of hole if I needed it, has anyone done this?
tl/dr: If you have a 100 mile one way trip, you better have a lot of reliable options.

Realistic - plan for the worst. Plan for a cold@$$ winter and a charger being in-use or not operable.

I’ve got a BEV and have traveled 80-100 miles one-way (cold winter) no problem. Charged while I worked, came home no problem. A few times I had to wait. Others I had to find a different charge location.

If you aren’t staying for a couple hours, L2 charging may not be enough. L3 is a must. I’ve had my 2019 i3S over a year and one thing I’ve realized is 75% of my long trips (where I can’t do a there-and-back without charging) involve planning —and time— around charging.

One thing I never read before I got the car is that you have to learn your locations. You can check apps and websites and think “oh hey they got a lot of options”... only to find out the reality that half are broke or unreliable.

**edit - enjoy the car because it’s amazing
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 12:54 AM   #8
gearhead26
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Coupe

To echo 35mphgolf, when you do long distance drives on an EV, it is very much like island hopping as you try to find a charger.

I'm taking my i3 on a 300 mile trip to Los Angeles tomorrow and plan to use PlugShare to find level 3 DC chargers. I use the apps to get a general idea of which chargers work and find that ChargePoint/EVGO/Electrify America have live network information. Also, different companies charge different rates - some will use time based while others will charge based on energy usage.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #9
RA67052
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mphgolf View Post
tl/dr: If you have a 100 mile one way trip, you better have a lot of reliable options.

Realistic - plan for the worst. Plan for a cold@$$ winter and a charger being in-use or not operable.

I’ve got a BEV and have traveled 80-100 miles one-way (cold winter) no problem. Charged while I worked, came home no problem. A few times I had to wait. Others I had to find a different charge location.

If you aren’t staying for a couple hours, L2 charging may not be enough. L3 is a must. I’ve had my 2019 i3S over a year and one thing I’ve realized is 75% of my long trips (where I can’t do a there-and-back without charging) involve planning —and time— around charging.

One thing I never read before I got the car is that you have to learn your locations. You can check apps and websites and think “oh hey they got a lot of options”... only to find out the reality that half are broke or unreliable.

**edit - enjoy the car because it’s amazing
Cheers, that's a great idea, plan for the worst and enjoy the car , really looking forward to driving it, I was amazed when test-driving it. Get it tomorrow and cannot wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
RA67052
Rep

Thanks guys, I've downloaded multiple apps and subscribed to multiple service providers. For long distance I'll plan for the worse and not take any chances. Generally I'll be ok, it's only when I'm going to breach the 100 miles I'll need to take it easy (easy for a bimmer driver to say, harder in practise )
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #11
Fjoerfretter65
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89

Since early 2019 I have already driven 54000km in an i3S. With average use I get 350km on a full battery charge. Usually I go fast charging when I have the battery drained and then charge to 80%.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #12
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘18 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Thanks guys, I've downloaded multiple apps and subscribed to multiple service providers. For long distance I'll plan for the worse and not take any chances. Generally I'll be ok, it's only when I'm going to breach the 100 miles I'll need to take it easy (easy for a bimmer driver to say, harder in practise )

Awesome - and congrats on the car! Any pics?

If you can experiment and plan your day for a longer trip, I’d recommend making those longer trips just to see what it’s like and build experience (summer & winter). Once you build the experience and comfort with understanding your car and those locations, you’ll have a much better idea and be more comfortable making the decision about those longer journeys. Don’t modify how you drive to “fit” the car either: keep the AC on. Keep the heat on. Be comfortable. Accelerate rapidly and often (I do ). Drive how you normally do when you make those long trips. Hopefully you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what you find!

Appreciate 0