Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchroundel View Post
Just my two cents: I had a 2016 coupe that I traded in with 23,000 miles in June of 2019. At that time I bought a 2019 roadster. Given our higher than normal snow fall this year, I have only put about 3,000 miles on it so far.

For both of these cars I have never had any non-maintence/recall visits to the dealership. That, absolutely nothing has gone wrong with either car over the four years I have owned i8s.
Mine would be a year rounder (with snow tires) if I got one. No way I'm owning a car that can't rust (CFRP monocoque, plastic body panels, and alu other bits) with awd and garaging it in the winter, especially when all the ICE cars I own are steel and rwd

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport

Last edited by Obioban; 12-30-2019 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
IamFODI365.50
      12-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #24
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsgarageonline View Post
I daily drive my i8 and it's been very reliable. I bought it in Feb 2019 with 10,500 miles and as of now, it has 26,500 miles on it. I'll likely reach 20,000 miles of personal use after a year of ownership.

I have a 35 mile round trip commute and see 50+ MPG on those days. I frequently attend cars and coffee, rallies, etc. and typically see 35 MPG on those days due to the highway driving over distance. I bought it before the factory warranty ran out and had the following items replaced under warranty:

-Oxygen Sensor which was throwing a Check Engine Light
-Head Unit because it got stuck in a rebooting loop (center display)
-Door Struts because they should have replaced them before it sold (CPO car)
-Rocker Panel because a technician stepped on it by accident and I discovered it
-Plastic clips that hold interior door leather because they were failing
-LED light strip in driver's side door because technician broke it servicing door
-iDrive wouldn't work because technician failed to reconnect iDrive after repairing door
-Windshield developed a stress crack from center of glass at roof line, and branched towards the A Pillars (happened to a few i8's here and some others were not covered under warranty)

After the factory warranty expired, I had to take it in under CPO warranty for service:

-Oil leaking from Turbo Housing - replaced gasket
-Low Coolant Level displayed on center console while coolant tank showed no issue - replaced coolant tank, sensor and wiring

Current issues that I probably will not have repaired:

-Plastic "bellows" that surround the piston rods in the struts are deteriorating and exposing piston rods to the elements ($4,000+ repair at dealer due to labor)

Besides that, I have done the following work myself to the car:

Oil changes every 5,000-6,000 miles
Spark Plug change at 25,000 miles
Replace stock tires with Continental DWS06 (+30mm wider -5% profile, all around)
Installation of Aftermarket Paddle Shifters
Installation of OEM front splitters and rear spoiler
Installation of Aftermarket Side Skirts by Edo Motorsport
Modified the mid-engine covers by cutting holes, installing glass, installing carbon fiber and re-upholstering
Preventive Maintenance replacement of the rear deck lid spring and plunger (pivot)

I always keep a T-20 torx driver in the car in order to get to the fuse panel as well as swap out the rear deck lid spring and pivot if it cracks (known issue). I keep extra fuses and a replacement spring and pivot in the glove box.

There are other things that are concerning about the car. On cars built for the US, making sure that you don't bump the emergency trunk release inside the trunk, or it may put some pressure on the mechanism that pops the trunk, leaving your trunk locked. Also, the fuel pressure sensors have failed, resulting in the fuel door staying locked. You'd have to get into the trunk to pull an emergency release to unlock the fuel door if this happens, but if you pull too hard, you'll break it.

I decided to create a YouTube channel to share How To information as well as Vlogs. I'll be updating it with information often. It may help you better decide if the i8 is right for you. I plan on doing videos discussing tire options, bleeding the brakes, and a few other things I've learned about the car after many months of ownership.

https://www.youtube.com/patsgarageonline
Doom and gloom, you’re not really selling it to the poor bloke!!

I’ve had my i8 for just over a year now and have put 20k on it, yes you need to think about where you park because the doors need room but on the plus side they look the dogs bo%%ocks and I am often asked about the car when I park up or am filling with petrol.

Most people have an issue with the fuel release but it is a known issue that is easily fixed, mine was still in warranty so the garage did it free for me and I’ve not had a problem since.

I had an idea that the leather on the seats was wearing (not badly but not as taut as I would have liked) so once again, I took it in and the seat squab was recovered foc.

Door struts were replaced as a service item at the 30k service, there didn’t seem to be anything wrong with them but they got changed anyway and to be honest, they don’t squeak now which they used to a little. It never troubled me.

I did have a glitch on the instrument display once but the garage just did a reset for me and all was well. Never had a problem since and tbh, I had a glitch on my old TT and that was a £1000 repair!

I’m beginning to sound as bad as Pat now!!

In summary, I love my car, I still enjoy driving it, I get 40+ mpg generally on all long journeys and going to work (15 miles) I can sometimes do that fuel free, sometimes not. I love the attention it gets, I love that little kids give me the thumbs up, I love that I can get my Granddaughter in the back (I have a Coupe!) and I love that in the UK I don’t need to pay any car tax since it is exempt! The only real issue for me is what to buy next... there is nothing out there that has the looks or the driving experience for the money and in my opinion you should just do it!! I don’t worry about “these tyres are better” or “I can put a max exhaust on to make it louder”, I love it just the way it is.

I lost my wife last year and she told me in her final days that I should buy what I want, for me, “you only live once” is only too real...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #25
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
I've been DDing M cars for 17 years old, and I'm "only" 37, so I feel like I'm doing okay at "you only live once".

That said, I like cars to be as close to free as possible in net.

The M cars in the fleet are all appreciating in value and parts are generally free (free if I've purchased them before, which is almost always the case 17 years in), thanks to FCP's lifetime warranty on new OE BMW Parts. At this point, I can pretty much drive them until FCP goes out of business, and only be out of pocket for gas and tires (and the time I spend working on them, but I generally enjoy doing that).

The i3 was not free, but we bought it (as a CPO) having already largely depreciated-- $19,100, vs $54,000 new. At the rate I'm driving it (120 miles/day on average), the i3 was paid for in full by saved gas money alone in less than 3 years.

This spring we're moving, and my commute will be 10-15 miles. My wife's commute will be ~50 miles, so she'll be taking over the i3.

That means I'll be back to driving a not i3.

The i8 looks to be zeroing in on depreciated (see below). For most of my use, it would be a full EV. If I hit a fun road, I could pop it in sport and have some fun. IF it was reasonable to maintain/repair out of warranty (as most of my ownership would be out of warranty), it seems like a car I could drive for 5-10 years at minimal expense and sell for not a horrific amount less than I bought it for (as in, the depreciation it's still suffering would probably not exceed the amount I'd spend in gas if I drove one of the M cars instead).

We also have a 7 month old child, so she'll be the age where she fits in the back starting in 1.5 years and then for another... 6-8 years-- which is why I'm thinking we'd sell it at that point.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 1
IamFODI365.50
      12-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #26
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

You will get better price info from watching cars.com. Low mileage CPO 2019 about 100k; 2017 85k; 2016 70k; 2015 65k; 2014 60k. Lot of 2016s on the market.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 03:18 PM   #27
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
I just test drove one in 45° ambient and it seemed to get faster over the course of the test drive. Does temp effect battery output? Or, does it have protection for the engine to not let you WOT it while cold?

Battery started out with 50% charge.

Appreciate 1
IamFODI365.50
      12-31-2019, 03:49 PM   #28
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsgarageonline View Post
I daily drive my i8 and it's been very reliable. I bought it in Feb 2019 with 10,500 miles and as of now, it has 26,500 miles on it. I'll likely reach 20,000 miles of personal use after a year of ownership.

I have a 35 mile round trip commute and see 50+ MPG on those days. I frequently attend cars and coffee, rallies, etc. and typically see 35 MPG on those days due to the highway driving over distance. I bought it before the factory warranty ran out and had the following items replaced under warranty:

-Oxygen Sensor which was throwing a Check Engine Light
-Head Unit because it got stuck in a rebooting loop (center display)
-Door Struts because they should have replaced them before it sold (CPO car)
-Rocker Panel because a technician stepped on it by accident and I discovered it
-Plastic clips that hold interior door leather because they were failing
-LED light strip in driver's side door because technician broke it servicing door
-iDrive wouldn't work because technician failed to reconnect iDrive after repairing door
-Windshield developed a stress crack from center of glass at roof line, and branched towards the A Pillars (happened to a few i8's here and some others were not covered under warranty)

After the factory warranty expired, I had to take it in under CPO warranty for service:

-Oil leaking from Turbo Housing - replaced gasket
-Low Coolant Level displayed on center console while coolant tank showed no issue - replaced coolant tank, sensor and wiring

Current issues that I probably will not have repaired:

-Plastic "bellows" that surround the piston rods in the struts are deteriorating and exposing piston rods to the elements ($4,000+ repair at dealer due to labor)

Besides that, I have done the following work myself to the car:

Oil changes every 5,000-6,000 miles
Spark Plug change at 25,000 miles
Replace stock tires with Continental DWS06 (+30mm wider -5% profile, all around)
Installation of Aftermarket Paddle Shifters
Installation of OEM front splitters and rear spoiler
Installation of Aftermarket Side Skirts by Edo Motorsport
Modified the mid-engine covers by cutting holes, installing glass, installing carbon fiber and re-upholstering
Preventive Maintenance replacement of the rear deck lid spring and plunger (pivot)

I always keep a T-20 torx driver in the car in order to get to the fuse panel as well as swap out the rear deck lid spring and pivot if it cracks (known issue). I keep extra fuses and a replacement spring and pivot in the glove box.

There are other things that are concerning about the car. On cars built for the US, making sure that you don't bump the emergency trunk release inside the trunk, or it may put some pressure on the mechanism that pops the trunk, leaving your trunk locked. Also, the fuel pressure sensors have failed, resulting in the fuel door staying locked. You'd have to get into the trunk to pull an emergency release to unlock the fuel door if this happens, but if you pull too hard, you'll break it.

I decided to create a YouTube channel to share How To information as well as Vlogs. I'll be updating it with information often. It may help you better decide if the i8 is right for you. I plan on doing videos discussing tire options, bleeding the brakes, and a few other things I've learned about the car after many months of ownership.

https://www.youtube.com/patsgarageonline
Had I not already had one- you would have talked me out of mine too!!

You definitely seem to have a dud. I've only had to go in for normal maintenance
      01-01-2020, 09:38 AM   #29
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I just test drove one in 45° ambient and it seemed to get faster over the course of the test drive. Does temp effect battery output? Or, does it have protection for the engine to not let you WOT it while cold?

Battery started out with 50% charge.
This. Full power and beast mode available after engine warmed up.

i8 power is not tire smoking drama. Just very quick.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #30
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
The i8 looks to be zeroing in on depreciated[/img]
This guy did a great job of pulling all the depreciation numbers together and he shows that the used 2014's have a greater value than the used 2015's but only because of lower mileage. That said, expect a depreciation to continue at an average of $819 per 1,000 miles driven.

01-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #31
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

OMG the linear analytics are way simplified. Most of the relations are curvilinear; for example, depreciation per mile is much lower for higher mileage. Data for new purchases are inaccurate (consider the deals by leasehacker). Got his data on coupe/spyder reversed. That said, the data clearly show the value in the 2016 MY, partly driven by supply from lease returns. Take home message: great deals to be had, smart buy IMO is a 2016 w CPO warranty <70k. If you must have the latest and best, find a used 2019 for <100k. If you are buying new, 125k should be your max. As is often the case, the initial buyers who paid close to MSRP are taking the big hits. Those w patience can get a great exotic car at 'reasonable' cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #32
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
I feel like if you’re going to put reasonable in quotes, you should put exotic in quotes, too :P

Appreciate 2
      01-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #33
TroyNVie
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW I8; Lamborghini Gallardo

For some background, I'm only about a week into my ownership of a CPO 2016 BMW I8, but I did casually start looking and researching them as far back as 9 months ago. I also have a Lamborghini Gallardo (6-speed spyder) in the garage, which I adore, and recently sold a Maserati Gran Turismo; previously, I owned a Lotus Elise and several BMW 3-series.

My quick reaction to the I8 is that it's an amazing car if its attributes are appealing to you. It's unique and uncommon, has striking looks (some would call them "exotic" in nature), AWD, seems safe and reliable, excellent gas mileage, and the convenience and versatility that back seats offer (even if they're very small), as well as the peace of mind of a factory, certified pre-owned warranty with a wide dealer network (note - I am not handy and don't enjoy/am not capable of working on my car myself).

I bought it as a third car to fit between the my Mercedes SUV as my daily driver and my Lamborghini as my sunny day, weekend driver. However, the I8 has quickly become my daily driver and I think the Mercedes SUV will be mostly relegated to bad weather and full family events only.
Appreciate 1
Obioban1613.00
      01-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #34
hemi steve
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Gallardo

Patsgarageonline

I read your post describing the repairs you have had on your I8...wow. Good that you have a warranty to cover most of that stuff. It seems like a lot of things considering the previous owner also had a warranty so I'm guessing that your stuff was not lingering from the previous owner. Also since your car is a BMW certified car did the dealer miss that stuff or was it all during your ownership. For your list of problems, how many trips to the dealer did they involve?

I'm considering getting one and based on what I've read on this and other sites I'm really concerned about reliability/durability. I've concluded that the only way to go is with a CPO car. So that would give me a 1 year or so warranty on a '16, but what then? I understand you can buy an extended warranty for somewhere around $5k for one year. Seems pricey. On top of all of that, I've read a number of threads where the owner gets stranded on the roadside and needs to wait for a wrecker to take the car to the dealer or the car fails in the driveway and needs a wrecker to take it away. Is this part of why the cars depreciate as fast as they do?

Still thinking

Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:47 AM   #35
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

My 2 cents:

Buy one, but get it with a warranty.

I have used my 2014 for a few years now as a DD, year round. I hae taken it to the track once (Nürburgring), trolled the german autobahn (@vmax), city commute, but mostly I just drop off my kids (11/15) @ school and go to work inside the EV range. My wife allso drives it for work twice a week 50km, so hybrid. I've done about 45Kkm.

The biggest problem is that once you buy one, you cant get out because everything else is just, well a bit one-dimensional. So yes I love it.
For ref I've had m3's, 911, lambo etc before.

The car is really good as a commuter (weird ergonomics is just fun to me), its quiet when needs to be and seats 4. I love drive just in EV mode, but I'm not a treehugger so for that 4am business trip its great it can do 400km really fast. Comfort level is really high if you go far @200km/h, you can even do phone calls. I could never do that in my 911's even the 991.

I find the handling and boost nature of the car brilliant, love the low weight and punchy drivetrain in sport. It's no gt3 not even close, but it CAN go fast on a track, its just not made for it at all.

On the price topic, its fun that we had some discussion here on the forum reg the price/depreciation on i8 vs 911gt3's. The gt3's have now tanked, and the i8 is continuing its slow decline, I think they made too many for them to ever apreciate.

On the reliability, well that's not so great.
My car had a lot of issues with software upgrades (aparrently the dealers don't know how to operate their computers) so it took 3 goes to get it upgraded. Once upgraded it started to fire the petrol engine a LOT more, allso in EV mode outside the specs. The milage on the battery is terrible, and BMW dealers just hand out lots of palms up.
Ive had lots of little niggles like the other owners here, the car is definitely not like a m3 or 911 quality wise.
And then the motor blew.
My wife was driving on the motorway @ the legal limit when all the lights came on. This is not very rare on a i8 so she whent to the shoulder and turned it off and on, lights whent out. so she continued. after 1 km the lights came back so she stopped. Turns out the gasket for the oil filter blew, and engine lost all oil immediately. So It died. Being 2 months out of warranty I had to cough up the cost myself.

So get a warranty. If you can afford the repair, you can save the dosh and hope.

I still find the car worth the hassle, theres nothing like it out there, its very beautifull, special and fun. if a bit costly.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #36
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi steve View Post
Patsgarageonline

I read your post describing the repairs you have had on your I8...wow. Good that you have a warranty to cover most of that stuff. It seems like a lot of things considering the previous owner also had a warranty so I'm guessing that your stuff was not lingering from the previous owner. Also since your car is a BMW certified car did the dealer miss that stuff or was it all during your ownership. For your list of problems, how many trips to the dealer did they involve?

I'm considering getting one and based on what I've read on this and other sites I'm really concerned about reliability/durability. I've concluded that the only way to go is with a CPO car. So that would give me a 1 year or so warranty on a '16, but what then? I understand you can buy an extended warranty for somewhere around $5k for one year. Seems pricey. On top of all of that, I've read a number of threads where the owner gets stranded on the roadside and needs to wait for a wrecker to take the car to the dealer or the car fails in the driveway and needs a wrecker to take it away. Is this part of why the cars depreciate as fast as they do?

Still thinking

Steve
Thanks for the reply. My i8 was actually owned and used by my dealership's owner. I was the "first titled owner" since he didn't need to title it (he just used it as an inventory car). So, anytime the car had an issue, it was taken care of quickly before I bought it. For all my issues after purchase, I had to take the car in 5 times and got a loaner each time. My CPO was purchased by the dealer in order to incentive it's sale and my CPO runs out 11/2020. I did not want to pay thousands for the CPO wrap to add 1 or 2 years. I called CarChex and they wouldn't give me anything more than a power train warranty. Others were able to secure a CarChex warranty that covered almost everything, which is why I called them. Over time, the aftermarket warranty companies are probably paying out more than they are taking in on higher levels of coverage. So, they don't want to absorb any of that risk, and pass it on to the customer. BMW is in the same boat, which is probably why the warranty is so expensive through BMW. They really want us to accept the risk.

I believe depreciation has to do more with demand and what the used market is willing to pay for it. Most exotic owners say the i8 is slow, not a supercar and not desirable. The folks who want a supercar but can't afford one (like me) wait until the price becomes acceptable and we buy it. Now, we have to make a decision as to whether or not it's better to pay to have things fixed when they fail or get rid of the car before they fail. Same goes if I chose a Lambo Gallardo, for example. The price is in reach for me but I clearly would be responsible for every expensive repairs.

My initial plan is to dump the 2015 I own (even though it's never let me down because my issues never affected driveability) close to the end of CPO and pick up a newer one (2017 or newer with CPO) and continue to use that until I have to make up my mind again. Come end-of-life, the thought is to move onto another platform.

I, personally, adore the Lambo Aventador, so it would be wise for me to put my money towards that. I try to save up and buy cash, so I'll likely end up without a sporty car for a decade while I'm doing that. That's OK with me, tho.