BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-23-2020, 04:05 AM   #1
Seleban
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW i8 Roadster

Garage List
i8 Exhaust

Does a UK i8 2018/19 have an actuator valve and can it be set to be permanently open like the one in the You Tube video by Pats Garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #2
P.K.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Grey BMW i8

Garage List
There are a few reasons for the exhaust restrictor. First, it keeps the exhaust in the system to preheat the "cat". Second, it keeps the exhaust note subdued. Stand on it in sport mode with a warmed up "cat" and the world gets to hear the raging 1.5 turbo blended sound of the ICE. Hoh hum! Well not exactly - they hear that sound augmented by the exhaust speaker doing its best to sound like ... an engine? On the inside, the driver hears a bit of 3 Cyl augmented by the full symphonic sound system version of a powerful engine. Being performance minded, I have removed the 7 Lb audience speaker and replaced the super heavy original exhaust, "cat" back with a stainless light weight, high volume system, still maintaining the "cat" preheat function- the "audience" gets a real experience. Seems to be popular? I certainly wouldn't recommend one of those very pricey, beautifully built tiny muffler systems that look great but sound terrible in my opinion. I still get the interior drama effect, but with the window down a bit I get a kind of half a turbo Porcshe sound. I come from an NA Ferrari V12 so I'm a bit spoiled. A quarter of the Ferrari, half of a Porsche blender. Progress, I suppose? Your question specifically - both solutions work- pull the fuse in the position of choice or pull the joiner link at the actuator - I didn't try just disconnecting the wire. I really doubt this would create a code? If it does, reconnect it. The BMW police won't call you on this.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seleban View Post
Does a UK i8 2018/19 have an actuator valve and can it be set to be permanently open like the one in the You Tube video by Pats Garage.
Yes, it has an actuator valve, but the UK models in late year produced i8s have a particulate filter built into the muffler. Many i8 owners have reported that after setting the exhaust valve to open, they notice no change in sound. This is due to the particulate filter.
      06-09-2020, 12:03 PM   #4
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.K. View Post
I really doubt this would create a code?
Pulling the connector to the actuator will cause a check engine light.
      06-09-2020, 08:07 PM   #5
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I like the idea of 7 lbs. weight reduction - some DIY for external speaker removal would be helpful.
Appreciate 0