upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Beast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
If you have to ask these questions you're living in the wrong state. And I live in New York State
The main thing is , I live down the street from the Sheriffs Dept.
So I ask because I don't want to get into it with these idiots (the rookies) if they see me one day . I see them go up and down the street ALL day long since the station is so close. I wouldn't really care or bother asking if I lived farther out.
Im cool with a couple of them, but the rookies is another story. They definitely need more training.
You may get some more honest answers if you don't refer to Leo's as "idiots"
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:44 AM   #4160
E93Beast
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
You may get some more honest answers if you don't refer to Leo's as "idiots"
Yes, but the rookies here are in fact idiots. No offense to the real cops, I know there are good LEOs out there.
But the rookies are misinformed, not well trained, power tripping idiots.
What can I say, the lieutenant agreed with me with an issue I had with a rookie !
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:45 AM   #4161
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Let me add, its a corner house.
I mean, you already determined the risk outweighs the reward. Definitely don't load your firearms outside where anyone over the height of a Smurf can see it.

Between overthinking, worrying, sheriffs department and the rookies you've mentioned, why over complicate things? If you're going to the range, take your weapons out to your vehicle in cases or totes. They can't even be in your vehicle unless it's secured in the trunk - shooting range or not.

This sounds like a non-complicated situation. You carrying your weapons around your property IN California is just never gonna go well, blessings from an officer or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:45 AM   #4162
E93Beast
Banned
Rep

*sigh*
I'll go now ✌��
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:48 AM   #4163
E93Beast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I mean, you already determined the risk outweighs the reward. Definitely don't load your firearms outside where anyone over the height of a Smurf can see it.

Between overthinking, worrying, sheriffs department and the rookies you've mentioned, why over complicate things? If you're going to the range, take your weapons out to your vehicle in cases or totes. They can't even be in your vehicle unless it's secured in the trunk - shooting range or not.

This sounds like a non-complicated situation. You carrying your weapons around your property IN California is just never gonna go well, blessings from an officer or not.
True, veey true. I just like to keep at least 1 firearm by my side at all times. I do a lot of work in my garage and spend a lot of time there so....I always carry something back and forth, but on the property and for protection.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:51 AM   #4164
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Don't go. Sedan_Clan Will tell you what you need to know. It's the whole point of this thread. Give him some time though. It's his day off he might be getting busy
Appreciate 1
E93Beast632.50
      08-12-2021, 12:53 AM   #4165
E93Beast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Don't go. Sedan_Clan Will tell you what you need to know. It's the whole point of this thread.
Thanks, appreciate it.
As I said, no disrespect to LEOs, but we all know MANY of them do not belong on the streets.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:56 AM   #4166
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

True, veey true. I just like to keep at least 1 firearm by my side at all times. I do a lot of work in my garage and spend a lot of time there so....I always carry something back and forth, but on the property and for protection.
Then keep the glock or ruger on you if you feel compelled. It is CA - far less guns to worry about out there, lol. No need to have a Benelli hung over your shoulder to work in the garage. This ain't TX man.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 01:19 AM   #4167
E93Beast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Then keep the glock or ruger on you if you feel compelled. It is CA - far less guns to worry about out there, lol. No need to have a Benelli hung over your shoulder to work in the garage. This ain't TX man.
Lots of guns in CPT.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 01:24 AM   #4168
E93Beast
Banned
Rep

It's cool, I'll go ✌��
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 01:39 AM   #4169
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
So the detached garage is behind your property line?
Its all on the property, just detached. Have a brick wall all around but only 3ft high, so anyone can look and see into my yard.
You see, there's nuance to the question and the answer (…and some of the responses already covered a few of the issues that will complicate the situation). You live in the city - I'm assuming Compton, which is patrolled by my department - and walking around with guns visible in an environment where your 3' wall doesn't factor into your expectation of privacy is a recipe for law enforcement contact(s). The curtilage of your property sounds like it's clearly visible to neighbors, passerby's, etc. If you lived in the country or an area where you had an expanse of land, my response would be different.
Appreciate 2
E93Beast632.50
mahalom3163.00
      08-12-2021, 01:43 AM   #4170
shoei
Banned
Rep

Oh he's in Compton? Lmaaoooo. Yeah if you asking these type questions and have your hobby on display? That's not the neighborhood to broadcast you have firearms.

Just bump California Love or Live and Die In LA whenever you're working in the garage and nobody will come bother you.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 01:51 AM   #4171
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Oh yeah, and the last thing you need is a 417 PC charge.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      08-12-2021, 01:58 AM   #4172
GJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i

Garage List
2016 428i  [0.00]
Quote:
Over on E46Fanatics, we would regularly have these "Ask a....." threads pop up in our Off Topic section from time to time, so I thought I would start one here to see how the member base takes to it. So ask me anything related to the profession (...Why certain things are done? Do we really eat donuts every day? Etc... ).
do you have AED's in your vehicles?
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25107.50
upstatedoc7559.50
      08-12-2021, 01:59 AM   #4173
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ View Post
Quote:
Over on E46Fanatics, we would regularly have these "Ask a....." threads pop up in our Off Topic section from time to time, so I thought I would start one here to see how the member base takes to it. So ask me anything related to the profession (...Why certain things are done? Do we really eat donuts every day? Etc... ).
do you have AED's in your vehicles?
We do not. I've got a bunch of Narcan though.
Appreciate 3
GJ3.00
vreihen1615277.00
mahalom3163.00
      08-12-2021, 02:06 AM   #4174
GJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i

Garage List
2016 428i  [0.00]
I assumed for sure that would be the case. You should have AEDs for sure in vehicles to protect your own FIRST then the community. Thanks for all you do Each and EVERY Day !! I can help you all with that let me know.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      08-12-2021, 02:09 AM   #4175
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ View Post
I assumed for sure that would be the case. You should have AEDs for sure in vehicles to protect your own FIRST then the community. Thanks for all you do Each and EVERY Day !! I can help you all with that let me know.
That's a great proposition. Whether the county is up for purchasing that many AED's is another story. We haven't even outfitted all of the stations with body cameras yet. The costs associated with outfitting a department as large as ours is an expensive endeavor indeed.

P.S. Thanks for the supportive words. They are much appreciated.

Appreciate 2
GJ3.00
mahalom3163.00
      08-12-2021, 02:21 AM   #4176
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
1. If you HAVE to carry it to the garage, and you're talking about having it by your side at all times, holster it and carry concealed. Perfectly legal on your own property.

2. If you're that close to the police station with that much cop traffic whether rookies or otherwise...wtf are you worried about so much? Only the dumbest idiots start some shit in full view of the police station / areas known to be highly and frequently patrolled. And I'm pretty sure you can handle at least the dumbest idiots.

3. If you have multiples, just buy a small safe for the garage and stash one in there under your workbench...something like this.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2021, 04:18 AM   #4177
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Only the dumbest idiots start some shit in full view of the police station / areas known to be highly and frequently patrolled. And I'm pretty sure you can handle at least the dumbest idiots.
Sadly, this isn’t the case in Liberty Square, aka Pork n Beans in Miami. There is a police station a block away and there used to be patrol cars parked in every corner every night as the gang/drug violence was getting out of hand. However, there is life after death for Pork n Beans. Recently I drove by the area in broad daylight (even that is risky) and snapped some photos. They’re tearing down the projects and building new projects? But they look nicer!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-12-2021, 10:57 AM   #4178
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Fair enough that it's not a non-zero chance of something happening. But if I had drug / gang violence on my block on the daily I'd be retrofitting these to my house / fence....

https://www.armorcore.com/bullet-res...anels/level-5/
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:13 PM   #4179
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
For us, impact weapons and tasers fall into the same force threshold, so it just depends on the circumstances. The batons require close distance and we are safer keeping distance until it becomes necessary to close it. I carry the standard PR24 baton in my war bag and I wear a collapsible ASP on my duty belt.
I have always wondered how effective those collapsible ASP are. They look no more substantial than an old car antenna. Obviously they must be more but I wonder if they work as well as the plain old baton.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      08-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #4180
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Quote:
For us, impact weapons and tasers fall into the same force threshold, so it just depends on the circumstances. The batons require close distance and we are safer keeping distance until it becomes necessary to close it. I carry the standard PR24 baton in my war bag and I wear a collapsible ASP on my duty belt.
I have always wondered how effective those collapsible ASP are. They look no more substantial than an old car antenna. Obviously they must be more but I wonder if they work as well as the plain old baton.
You give up some component integrity for the portability, but they are strong……some stronger than others.
Appreciate 1
jamesinaz1646.50