04-02-2020, 11:08 AM   #815
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So if I understand you, you are suggesting that charitable donations be directed by government? ....
Um, Murf, where did you get this understanding of what I said?
Surely not from me.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #816
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Um, Murf, where did you get this understanding of what I said?
Surely not from me.

Murf
"Yeah, really! The lower levels of our education system don't seem to get much.

Murf
______"

Well, you seem to think that they are going to the wrong places. You have made it pretty clear that you think your views are more relevant that those that don't agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #817
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"Yeah, really! The lower levels of our education system don't seem to get much.

Murf
______"

Well, you seem to think that they are going to the wrong places. You have made it pretty clear that you think your views are more relevant that those that don't agree with you.
Oy veh....

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #818
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oy veh....

Murf
You've been clear.

People should better themselves with courses on line and community work rather than buying guns, folks spend more on guns than charity (clearly wrong), and the money sent to charities doesn't seem to go where you thing it should.

My take away is we should all model our lives after yours, because everyone seems to be doing it wrong.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24823.00
MKSixer34171.50
      04-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #819
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You've been clear....
My take away is we should all model our lives after yours, because everyone seems to be doing it wrong.
Actually, I said emulate the Jews & Asians.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #820
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Actually, I said emulate the Jews & Asians.

Murf
Can you refresh my memory of that? I just went back a few pages and dozens of posts and didn't see that reference.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #821
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

how many murfs are on this thread?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #822
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Oy veh....

Murf
You've been clear.

People should better themselves with courses on line and community work rather than buying guns, folks spend more on guns than charity (clearly wrong), and the money sent to charities doesn't seem to go where you thing it should.

His self-righteousness is palpable.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      04-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #823
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
how many murfs are on this thread?
I 100% just read that as "How many smurfs are on this thread?".
Appreciate 4
Murf99314114.00
Dpc2u11503.00
vreihen1614901.50
MKSixer34171.50
      04-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #824
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I 100% just read that as "How many smurfs are on this thread?".
smurfette
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #825
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you refresh my memory of that? I just went back a few pages and dozens of posts and didn't see that reference.
Be glad to:
"In this modern world I think we all live in, there are two socio-economic groups that stand out to me. The Jewish people outperform the masses (some say they control the world!), stressing learning & the book. Asian folks also outperform, and are known to have extreme devotion to learning how to advance. Neither group relied on guns to advance.
My parents did it the Catholic way. They had a bunch (4 in the first batch, then two more on the side), threw them out on the street, & hoped one would rise to the top. So last century.

Murf

PS: We now have three "Murfs" cruising this forum!"

Post #801

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #826
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Be glad to:
"In this modern world I think we all live in, there are two socio-economic groups that stand out to me. The Jewish people outperform the masses (some say they control the world!), stressing learning & the book. Asian folks also outperform, and are known to have extreme devotion to learning how to advance. Neither group relied on guns to advance.
My parents did it the Catholic way. They had a bunch (4 in the first batch, then two more on the side), threw them out on the street, & hoped one would rise to the top. So last century.

Murf

PS: We now have three "Murfs" cruising this forum!"

Post #801

So 10 posts back on this thread in which you are responding to multiple members you made an obscure remark that some might consider racist (not me FTR) about the Jews and Asians that really doesn't have much to do with where the tread started or is now......ok then. Oh and it was in reply to this comment by Sedan Clan and me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
You live in a bubble. That much is apparent.

.... How would you like it if someone told you that you were wasting your money on computer courses rather than buying a gun to be a better supporter of the US constitution?

Murf
Its crystal clear now, NOT.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 03:20 PM   #827
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its crystal clear now, NOT.
Wish I could help you....

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #828
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
His self-righteousness is palpable.
Ooow, burn, burn!
Does someone need the safe room?

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 04-02-2020 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #829
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

With regards to the messages I've received about crimes during COVID.....

....Overall crime is down 40% in the 7 cities my station is designated to patrol, but we still deal with a fair amount of stolen vehicles (..no Euros, all Honda's and Ford/Chevy trucks), burglaries, and domestic violence calls. We also still find guns on gangsters and arrest for serious felonies; misdemeanors are largely field cite-outs. Thankfully the desperation hasn't caused an increase in person-on-person crimes, but I did work a murder two nights ago (...my first one of 2020) that involved a local gang known for their drive-by shootings.
Appreciate 4
upstatedoc7555.50
vreihen1614901.50
MKSixer34171.50
Maynard3804.50
      04-14-2020, 07:24 AM   #830
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

What's the police attitude towards enforcement, if any, of various "stay at home" regulations?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:42 AM   #831
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
What's the police attitude towards enforcement, if any, of various "stay at home" regulations?
It depends on where you are located. My department isn't concerned with people being out. Smaller departments like Pasadena P.D. or Long Beach P.D. (...and Honolulu P.D.) are fining people $1000; Hawaii $5000. It's just silly to institute that kind of financial strain on people who are already out of work and struggling. I would rather have people take a walk with their families or go for a run than stay indoors and start developing mental health issues. We deal with enough people with poor mental health as it is; jails are now just large mental health facilities.
Appreciate 6
      04-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #832
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Have you noticed an increase in domestic violence calls? Here on the other coast, the local media is making it sound like child/spouse/DV abuse calls are through the roof.....
      04-14-2020, 12:28 PM   #833
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

NSX Foibles

About twenty years ago, I was stopped at the light at La Cienega and Melrose in my Black 1997 NSX-T. License plate XTNSHN. I had two people in the passenger seat. When the light changed, I dumped the clutch and in a sliding and screaming, blue-smoking burn out, usurped the right of way of all of the cars coming towards me, and turned left onto Melrose. I left about 150 feet of ‘S’ tracks and there was so much smoke behind me that I didn’t notice the LA County Sheriff with full lights and siren behind me for two blocks, by which time I’d slowed down to about 70.

I pulled over immediately and stuck my wrists out of the window, with my license and registration held together so that the sheriff could go ahead and cuff me right away. He stood there staring at me for a moment, looked at the two passengers crammed into the single seat, took a breath, and started screaming at me. “I don’t even know where to start with you! You broke so many laws that I couldn’t even fit them on a ticket! And don’t try to deny anything!”

This went on for about two minutes. When he finally ran out of steam and said ‘Put your hands back in the car, you look ridiculous,’ I said. “You’re absolutely right. I have no defense for my behavior. I was just showing off for my two friends, I was a complete idiot. I admit everything and am at your mercy.”

He stared at me for what seemed like a minute, but was probably just a few seconds, and then said: “Go home. Go straight home. One of your friends will have to walk. If I ever catch you even one mile over the limit...”

And that was that. I have no idea why he decided to give me a break, but I sure am glad he did. Perhaps honesty is the best policy.

I haven’t had a sports car for years, but am thinking of getting a C8 Corvette. I figure I’ll get into less trouble now that I am a bit older. Lol!
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24823.00
MKSixer34171.50
      04-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #834
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Have you noticed an increase in domestic violence calls? Here on the other coast, the local media is making it sound like child/spouse/DV abuse calls are through the roof.....
Not at all! The media pisses me off.

What has increased are calls to residences because parents/grandparents are upset that their 16-25 year of children/grandchildren decide to go hang out with their friends rather than stay isolated at home (...essentially civil/family issues). We get COVID calls all of the time.

Domestic violence calls happen about as much as they did prior to COVID.

I have never in my professional life witnessed a suppression of crime like I'm seeing now. Generally speaking, crime spikes when you have situations that greatly affect people's lives (...political changes, public dissent, supply shortages, etc.). This COVID has people scared, so they largely stay indoors ON THEIR OWN; people quarantined long before the government began suggesting or mandating it. Even during the, "Toilet Paper and Water Wars," there weren't any fights; there were no riots. Nothing! People were respectful of each despite being panicked.

These moments are, by far, the easiest moments I've ever had on the streets.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614901.50
Murf99314114.00
      04-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #835
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
About twenty years ago, I was stopped at the light at La Cienega and Melrose in my Black 1997 NSX-T. License plate XTNSHN. I had two people in the passenger seat. When the light changed, I dumped the clutch and in a sliding and screaming, blue-smoking burn out, usurped the right of way of all of the cars coming towards me, and turned left onto Melrose. I left about 150 feet of ‘S’ tracks and there was so much smoke behind me that I didn’t notice the LA County Sheriff with full lights and siren behind me for two blocks, by which time I’d slowed down to about 70.

I pulled over immediately and stuck my wrists out of the window, with my license and registration held together so that the sheriff could go ahead and cuff me right away. He stood there staring at me for a moment, looked at the two passengers crammed into the single seat, took a breath, and started screaming at me. “I don’t even know where to start with you! You broke so many laws that I couldn’t even fit them on a ticket! And don’t try to deny anything!”

This went on for about two minutes. When he finally ran out of steam and said ‘Put your hands back in the car, you look ridiculous,’ I said. “You’re absolutely right. I have no defense for my behavior. I was just showing off for my two friends, I was a complete idiot. I admit everything and am at your mercy.”

He stared at me for what seemed like a minute, but was probably just a few seconds, and then said: “Go home. Go straight home. One of your friends will have to walk. If I ever catch you even one mile over the limit...”

And that was that. I have no idea why he decided to give me a break, but I sure am glad he did. Perhaps honesty is the best policy.

I haven’t had a sports car for years, but am thinking of getting a C8 Corvette. I figure I’ll get into less trouble now that I am a bit older. Lol!
Honesty helped, plus the fact that taking you into custody, making the two passengers walk home, plus towing your car and the ensuing paper proved more than he wanted to deal with at the time. Lol!
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
Murf99314114.00
      04-14-2020, 04:01 PM   #836
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Not at all! The media pisses me off.

What has increased are calls to residences because parents/grandparents are upset that their 16-25 year of children/grandchildren decide to go hang out with their friends rather than stay isolated at home (...essentially civil/family issues). We get COVID calls all of the time.

Domestic violence calls happen about as much as they did prior to COVID.

I have never in my professional life witnessed a suppression of crime like I'm seeing now. Generally speaking, crime spikes when you have situations that greatly affect people's lives (...political changes, public dissent, supply shortages, etc.). This COVID has people scared, so they largely stay indoors ON THEIR OWN; people quarantined long before the government began suggesting or mandating it. Even during the, "Toilet Paper and Water Wars," there weren't any fights; there were no riots. Nothing! People were respectful of each despite being panicked.

These moments are, by far, the easiest moments I've ever had on the streets.
I'm wondering how long before people lose their shit and start misbehaving. I'm glad I'm retired.
Appreciate 0