Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #1
kfcanyonranch
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

best place to buy used I8 parts?

I'm rebuilding a salvage I8. It seems I can get some used parts off Ebay, however I was wondering if anyone has other leads on where to buy used I8 parts. Looking for rear subframe and pan, rear right cv axle, and left side carbon body-door opening surround and some airbags!
Thank you all in advance...this is going to be a journey!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

https://www.pacificmotors.com/ is the best place for parts that I've found online. They remove parts from salvage i8's. If they don't have a part listed for sale, reach out to them and they may be able to get one off an i8 for you.
      06-10-2020, 02:04 AM   #3
nike13
Rep

I usually only lurk on here but OP can you please run through the thought process on why you would want to rebuild a salvaged i8? Those cars are usually only kept around to just be parted out and then scrapped. I'm not sure how this is at all cost saving unless you are doing this as a hobby. Also if the carbon fiber is cracked I don't think you can ever get the rebuild title for insurance purposes. Repairs, insurance, labor, shipping etc. There are cheap i8s all over ebay. I dont get it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
kfcanyonranch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsgarageonline View Post
https://www.pacificmotors.com/ is the best place for parts that I've found online. They remove parts from salvage i8's. If they don't have a part listed for sale, reach out to them and they may be able to get one off an i8 for you.
Thank you Pat! Keep up the videos, Ive seen several and really appreciate your work!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
kfcanyonranch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike13 View Post
I usually only lurk on here but OP can you please run through the thought process on why you would want to rebuild a salvaged i8? Those cars are usually only kept around to just be parted out and then scrapped. I'm not sure how this is at all cost saving unless you are doing this as a hobby. Also if the carbon fiber is cracked I don't think you can ever get the rebuild title for insurance purposes. Repairs, insurance, labor, shipping etc. There are cheap i8s all over ebay. I dont get it.
Yes this is project car. Properly repaired (which this will be) is insurable. Remember, all the carbon piece are bonded together. They can be replaced (its a process but doable). The cost of the car, plus parts and my free labor makes it affordable for me to have a slightly used/very abused I8. A project like this is not for everyone. Fyi its a 2019 with 1800 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

I would be interested in pics and of the process.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2020, 01:37 AM   #7
nike13
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfcanyonranch View Post
Yes this is project car. Properly repaired (which this will be) is insurable. Remember, all the carbon piece are bonded together. They can be replaced (its a process but doable). The cost of the car, plus parts and my free labor makes it affordable for me to have a slightly used/very abused I8. A project like this is not for everyone. Fyi its a 2019 with 1800 miles.
If its a roadster it sounds like it could be a good deal. if its a coupe, I personally would have went with an older model + warranty since there is minimal model difference. As far as I know you are SOL for any warranty, extended warranty, or service deals. From what I can remember from some of the street rumors out of warranty it's $2k just to open the electrical hood. Battery replacement out of warranty is $5k+, yearly service $1K, etc. Good luck with the project, be sure to post before and after photos. i8 oem and non oem parts can be found at rockauto
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 04:41 PM   #8
Bmwirun3
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

kfcanyonranch

Hey I followed your rebuild of the i8 on YouTube it was very inspiring and helpful. I am looking at repairing one myself. In one of your videos you removed that carbon door sill trim piece on the driver side to send to another person that needed it in the UK.

Do you know a more specific way I can look that piece up to find it? Or does it just come as part of the whole frame?

It doesn’t appear to offer structural support so replacing shouldn’t be a big deal right? Do you know of anyone I can reach out to that has a carbon frame that they are sectioning out?
Appreciate 0