Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing

10-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #45
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Not sure why you said this. While the i5 might be close to the i7 in performance, it doesn't excel it. So there is no power sacrifice. And if we're being honest even if there was it would be slight, and since no game right now is really pushing cpus it is a bit of a moot point.
Both the i5 and i7 860 beat the 920 in gaming performance according to online gaming benchmarks. No games need any of these processors anyway. The only benefit to the i5 is a lower power usage, price, and maybe a fps boost during extreme gaming.

Any of these cpus will last a long time anyway though. Go with the 920 setup for the better mobo if you plan to keep the mobo and upgrade the cpu in the future. I always tend to lean toward the cooler less wattage cpus.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #46
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post

-i5 750 (cheap, low power, fast, turbo boost, no triple channel, no hyperthreading) $200
-i7 860 (cheap, low power, fast, turbo boost, no triple channel, yes hyperthreading) $289
-i7 920 (cheap, high power, slow, no turbo, yes triple channel, yes hyperthreading) $279
920's got turbo. If you've got the extra money for the other more expensive parts (X58 mobo and triple channel ram) 920's platform provides more longevity. Also, overclocking the D0 to 4GHz is child's play; hardly slow, great deal for $200.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #47
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post
920's got turbo. If you've got the extra money for the other more expensive parts (X58 mobo and triple channel ram) 920's platform provides more longevity. Also, overclocking the D0 to 4GHz is child's play; hardly slow, great deal for $200.
Not slow, but slower then the i5 or other i7. Of the new core i family, the 920 is the slowest and gets the lowest framerates in any of the benchmarks. It still destroys all games though! Its simply been replaced by faster, lower wattage cpus. Its the best option if you plan on keeping your current mobo for a few years though. 920/mobo is better for the long haul, unless u plan on swapping mobos in the future.

All these cpus will last and play most games at full with the right gpu. Any modern nvidia gpu with any core i cpu is all you need. The rest is tweaking details.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #48
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

I think most of you guys that are bashing the 920 are also missing the ease of over clockability on the stock intercooler. At stock the CPU is running at 2.66 but you can crank that hoe up to 3.2~ on stock fan/cooler.

After getting a cooling kit, you're looking at 4ghz running solid. friend's got one OC'd - flawless and only a ~100 cooling kit.
Appreciate 0