BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #1
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

APEX AP-0 Super Sport EV that weighs 2,645lbs

The brand new AP-0 is the follow-up. As the naming scheme suggests, it takes the top spot in the lineup ahead of the AP-1 by having battery-electric power, a single electric motor turning the rear axles with 649-hp and 427 pound-feet of torque, a 320-mile range on the WLTP cycle, and a 0-60 time of 2.3 seconds. Top speed is 190 mph.

Just as remarkable, and even more unusual for an EV, the whole package weighs 2,645 pounds. Compared to a McLaren 720S, the AP-0 is 4.5 inches shorter but 3.4 inches wider, and while the Apex gives up 61 hp and 131 lb-ft to the Englishman, the AP-0 weighs almost 500 pounds less than the 720S. Compared to performance EVs, the Apex weighs about 1,380 pounds less than a Tesla Model 3 Performance, 1,700 pounds less than a Rimac Concept 2, and almost 2,500 pounds less than a Porsche Taycan Turbo S.

The Apex packs a floor-mounted, 90-kWh lithium-ion battery that consumes 1,213 pounds of its curb weight. When plugged into the right CCS charger, the pack can refill 80% of its charge in 15 minutes; on a standard Type 2 charger, filling up from empty takes eight hours.

The chassis and bodywork is entirely carbon fiber, a central carbon tub and modular spaceframes laid on a rigid carbon spine connect the front to the rear. Outside, the Le Mans-like fin houses a retractable LIDAR system up front and a cross-shaped taillight in back. Built as a road-legal racer for gearheads and sitting just 3.7 inches off the ground, there's an adjustable pushrod suspension with automatic ride-height adjustment, 14-inch carbon ceramic rotors with six-piston calipers in front and four-piston in the rear, and a pair of 19-inch center-lock wheels up front paired with 20-inchers in back.

Behind gullwing doors, the carbon, aluminum, and leather interior makes every occupant feel like a racer with a single-seater-style, reclined and feet-up seating position. Three displays for the driver sit atop the instrument panel behind a square steering wheel. To help drivers make the most of track days, Apex says the AP-0 can "gamify the way drivers can learn new racetracks and deliver the ultimate immersive racing experience" through augmented reality projection. The software-based "instructor" can be improved through over-the-air updates. To ensure the instructor knows what it's talking about, Apex said it wants to build an FIA-approved race track, followed by a racing academy, around its Hong Kong HQ.

The ambitions only begin there. When off the track, that LIDAR unit is intended to provide Level 3 autonomous capability at launch, with the company saying Level 4 potential is already built in. More handily, the AP-0 will come with automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, and lane keep assist. That's all down the way, though, the AP-0 not scheduled to enter production until the latter half of 2022, costing around $195,000 for U.S. buyers. If all goes well from here to there, Apex plans to build up to 500 units per year in Britain, what it calls its second home, on the way to introducing a wider lineup of offerings.
5.M0NSTER3353.50
clee1982796.00
      03-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Wow. And double wow especially if they meet that price point. This thing is light years ahead have any other car at that price point, again, if this all holds true. I'm curious if the cabin is a pleasant place to be in or this is a one-trick pony track car.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #3
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
I'm curious to see how they solved the battery overheating under full load after a few laps. If they found away around that t, then I'm curious to know how long the battery will last being used under full load as well.

Not just in how many laps it can do before its spent, but also and even more importantly how long this battery will last in total time.

Battery Tech has come a long way, but asking a battery to run hundreds and hundreds of times being drained like this is questionable IMHO.

Anymore literature on how they worked this out?

TIA,
HAZMAT
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

03-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

great looking car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
1:44 someone left an iPhone in the car or that phone is carbonfiber and including in the concept?
      03-22-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
At $200k this will have to go head to head with the upcoming Tesla Roadster. For the money I think I'd rather go with the Tesla because the brand is established by now and I'm assuming it'll be more reliable than an EV supercar from a brand I've never heard of. I still wish these guys all the best because the specs sound promising.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

I'll take a ICE all day anyway over this. Yes it is very sexy, but frankly I can spend half the money and get a great and very satisfying ICE weather it's a BMW or Porsche or Corvette.

I like this car very much, it interests me the way the Porsche Taycan does but for the money I'd take a hard pass.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Yay, another car for rich people
Appreciate 1
David701567.00