BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-23-2020, 02:48 PM   #133
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I've been wanting to buy a pistol for a while, but with all this going down, it's even more incentive. Problem is I don't have a pistol permit, nor am I sure I will have time for it to get approved... My buddy has a Polymer80 G19 he just built, I could just buy the parts and have him dremel it out, but the 80% rule is sketch to me.
sounds legit. took me six months to get my permit in NY and that was 30 years ago. i'll let you borrow one of mine but if anyone asks i'll say you stole it
Appreciate 2
      03-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #134
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
I didn't know NC required a special permit to buy a pistol. I thought it was one of the less restrictive states.
It's less restrictive than most....same rules as our state for the majority of how it's handled. Most of Western NC is armed. Big hunting state.

North Carolina gun laws are considered permissive with a “Shall Issue” policy. There are no restrictions on calibers or magazine size and limited restrictions on open carry. Concealed carry permits are only issued to residents who must be 21 or older and have completed a firearms training course.
      03-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #135
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
I didn't know NC required a special permit to buy a pistol. I thought it was one of the less restrictive states.
Yep, do the application online, pay $8, then you have to go to the Sherrifs office within 5 days of completing the online portion. Then it takes 14-30 days to get the permit, and THEN you can go buy a pistol.

Anyone here fond of the Polymer80 lowers, specifically the P940C (Glock 19)? I literally just want to be able to protect my fiance and I, in the event that something does go down due to the current situation, and I don't think I can afford to wait a month for the permit to go and buy a G48. Since the p80 isn't technically a firearm, and I wouldn't travel with it, is it a viable option?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 04:19 PM   #136
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, do the application online, pay $8, then you have to go to the Sherrifs office within 5 days of completing the online portion. Then it takes 14-30 days to get the permit, and THEN you can go buy a pistol.

Anyone here fond of the Polymer80 lowers, specifically the P940C (Glock 19)? I literally just want to be able to protect my fiance and I, in the event that something does go down due to the current situation, and I don't think I can afford to wait a month for the permit to go and buy a G48. Since the p80 isn't technically a firearm, and I wouldn't travel with it, is it a viable option?
That's interesting. I didnt know NC required a permit to purchase a gun. Last time I bought my rifle from NC, they just asked for a drivers license.

Other southern states dont require any special permit to purchase any firearms. Just a form of ID.
      03-23-2020, 04:30 PM   #137
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
... If you and others want to be a soft target then be my guest, but it'll be a cold day in hell when someone thinks they can try and victimize my loved ones or me without any resistance.

Firearm=insurance. The odds of getting into a car accident are slim, but you're still insured for that small possibility you get into an accident. Same applies to firearms.

I do agree though that people shouldn't carry unless they are trained and educated enough on firearms. But if idiots are allowed to drive cars (much greater fatality rate than guns) without proper education and training...
From the top:
Nobody wants you to sit on your hands & offer no resistance. But "resistance' can start with proper laws that minimize the danger. No need to regress back to the dark ages.

Considering that households with guns are more dangerous than those without, what kind of insurance are you after?

I agree that good folks should be able to have guns. Mandate good storage, dispose of like you do old motor oil (ie: will do no harm down the road). Add a tiny chihuahua that would wake you in plenty of time to unlock your arsenal.

We Americans get angry when Mexico sends up drugs, but our responsible states can't get angry at the lax states for not controlling their old guns?

Murf
Proper gun storage will practically eliminate the danger of having a gun at home. I agree though, and I believe many states prosecute negligent gun owners for improper storage.

At least here in Texas, if you dont properly store your firearm at home, and kids get access to it and harm themselves or someone else, you will be legally liable; so some of those laws you seek are already in existence.

There are too many guns circulating in the country to outright ban guns. And even if you tried banning all firearms, it wouldn't work. Some might comply, others wont. But criminals are already heavily armed and they'll continue to have access to guns, one way or another.

So people suggesting an outright ban on all firearms in civilian hands are too naive and ignorant.

There are many other tools that kill and harm FAR more people than guns.

Drugs: illegal. Doesn't stop anyone from taking them.

Drunk driving: illegal. Doesn't stop people from doing it.

Etc...

Yes, making something illegal means you can prosecute them, but what good is that going to do if the damage is done already?

Banning guns is as idiotic as those places that have the "gun free zone" or "no guns allowed" signs. Criminals wont give a shit and law abiding 2A citizens won't enter the place.
      03-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #138
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Maryland requires you to get a HQL permit. This requires you to attend a class which has material covering things Maryland wants handgun owners to be aware of. It amounted to a couple of Power Point slides. Not something I would say that is comprehensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 05:46 PM   #139
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Wow. Been a long time since I bought a gun. Well, not that long I guess. Few years. Here in AZ anyone with resident ID that passes the federal NICS instant background check can walk in and buy. No magazine size limitations, no other limits I am aware of excepting the national restrictions on fully automatic weapons.

If you have an AZ concealed carry permit it is even quicker with no NICS check needed. Walk in, choose, show permit, pay and leave. Pretty sure my concealed permit is expired which is kinda unimportant anyway as concealed carry is legal now with or without it.

Back when I got it classroom training in the law and a short competency test at a range was required. It wasn't hard to pass. The only part of it I approved of was the classroom training made it pretty clear if you shoot someone they BETTER be a legitimate imminent threat to you or someone else. No shooting someone leaving your house even if they have your wife's jewelry. You can not kill to protect property.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 07:08 PM   #140
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
I wasn't trying to be political or macho with the thread lol. Secondly, please feel free to move this to the off topic discussion board, I didn't know how to get to that to post in there.

Anyway, I just found it very interesting, almost disturbing, that people who look like they've never even seen a real gun with their own eyes were there to buy one now that this whole thing is going on.
Don't be surprised. I mean as we all know... Guns and Bullets will absolutely stop COVID-19!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #141
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Don't be surprised. I mean as we all know... Guns and Bullets will absolutely stop COVID-19!
Kind of like toilet paper does...
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3574.50
      03-24-2020, 12:56 AM   #142
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Kind of like toilet paper does...
I don’t need one if I’ve got the other
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3574.50
      03-24-2020, 09:46 AM   #143
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
I've been wanting to buy a pistol for a while, but with all this going down, it's even more incentive. Problem is I don't have a pistol permit, nor am I sure I will have time for it to get approved... My buddy has a Polymer80 G19 he just built, I could just buy the parts and have him dremel it out, but the 80% rule is sketch to me.
back when it was legal to do so (it is now, in a safe outside of the peoples republic of CA), I did a polymer 80 frame, its pretty easy and fun. You do end up with a functional pistol, but it wouldn't be my choice in a self defense situation, certainly better then a sharp stick.

If your friend does it for you, that is VERY VERY ILLEGAL, he should help you do it.

If you end up doing it I would suggest buying parts for the gun you want to get and completing the polymer 80 with those, so that when you do get the 'real' gun you can use your parts to upgrade it. (A nice trigger, a slide with night sights, upgraded barrel, etc)
Appreciate 1
Conissah1576.00
      03-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #144
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
I don’t need one if I’ve got the other
That goes both ways! But seriously, hoarding TP or a novice rushing out to buy their first gun in reaction to the virus is the same to me. Both people are over-reacting to the situation based on some fear that some how normal society is going to break down and we either won't be able to get TP or we will have to defend ourselves from the zombie hoard!
Appreciate 4
      03-24-2020, 10:17 AM   #145
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That goes both ways! But seriously, hoarding TP or a novice rushing out to buy their first gun in reaction to the virus is the same to me. Both people are over-reacting to the situation based on some fear that some how normal society is going to break down and we either won't be able to get TP or we will have to defend ourselves from the zombie hoard!
In general I agree. Heck, cleaning your butt isn't rocket science and we did it before the advent of TP.

As to buying a gun now I can see a few situations where it would be warranted. If you live in an area of high density low income housing and worry about a home invasion for your FOOD and wish to protect your family in that case OK.

I believe it is still far fetched cause I think as messed up as our government is they comprehend the severity of outcome if they don't make sure everyone has enough to eat. Easy enough to electronically refill those EBT cards.

Or if you think society is actually going to have a short term break ala LA riots having self defense is good. But in the end I don't see that happening and more likely there will be some accidents with new owners not handling/securing their new guns properly.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      03-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #146
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
I hear you - more humor than anything. I didn't go rush to get either. Already had some of each
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #147
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
…..
There are many other tools that kill and harm FAR more people than guns. .
Curious what items you had in mind, especially if you stay anywhere near a realistic definition of 'tool'. IIRC, motor-vehicle deaths are about equivalent to firearms, and those seem to be the biggies.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      03-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #148
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Quote:
…..
There are many other tools that kill and harm FAR more people than guns. .
Curious what items you had in mind, especially if you stay anywhere near a realistic definition of 'tool'. IIRC, motor-vehicle deaths are about equivalent to firearms, and those seem to be the biggies.
Firearm deaths include gang violence, suicides, and law enforcement so it's not an accurate statistic. Meaning, even if you eliminate guns from the equation, it won't change suicide rates, gang violence nor law enforcement uses.

Alcohol and drugs cause far more deaths than civilian (lawful) firearms ownership, yet no one is complaining about making either of those illegal. Drugs are already illegal, didn't change shit.

Alcohol isn't. I don't hear any outrage over alcohol legality when someone dies an alcohol related death. Hell, it's not even publicized in construct to gun related deaths.

What's the argument? Potential death from alcohol and cigarettes is just a risk? You mean, same as having a gun for just sport or hunting, you run the risk of injury or death?
      03-24-2020, 01:27 PM   #149
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Yeah, I figured there weren't any real numbers to back that. And I'm not following your stew of quasi-logic there otherwise, about the ciggs and alcohol. Those of you who LOVE your guns might want to sit back and rethink some of these faux arguments - you just look silly trying to argue that guns aren't dangerous - that is their expressly designed purpose. If the responsible users don't step up and formulate some realistic controls, then I fear that society is going to get sick of it and just go to a full-on ban.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      03-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #150
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
if you back out suicide the numbers change dramatically (somewhere over 60% are suicide)
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #151
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Exactly the numbers are exaggerated dramatically to fit a narrative. Take out justifiable homicide, suicide, accidental death and so on. They taking out gang violence if you arent selling drugs not much chance that will get you either.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #152
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Part of why I like PA is the ease of getting my LTCF. I got it soon after I moved here. Took about a month to get it. Renewals are now stupid simple. Head to county Sheriff office and they print your new card out right there in a few minutes!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:08 PM   #153
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I figured there weren't any real numbers to back that. And I'm not following your stew of quasi-logic there otherwise, about the ciggs and alcohol. Those of you who LOVE your guns might want to sit back and rethink some of these faux arguments - you just look silly trying to argue that guns aren't dangerous - that is their expressly designed purpose. If the responsible users don't step up and formulate some realistic controls, then I fear that society is going to get sick of it and just go to a full-on ban.
So you think congress will pass an amendment ending the 2 A? It's the only legal way an outright ban on private ownership of guns can happen. Needing a 2/3s majority is pretty tough. I think it will not happen in my lifetime.

As to guns being dangerous sure they are. So are band-saws. I heartily endorse proper training for anyone that thinks they want to own a gun. Or a band-saw.

Frankly I would love the US to adopt the same level of drivers ed they have in Germany. I'd bet the majority of licensed drivers in the US could not pass their test.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 05:05 AM   #154
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Exactly the numbers are exaggerated dramatically to fit a narrative. Take out justifiable homicide, suicide, accidental death and so on. They taking out gang violence if you arent selling drugs not much chance that will get you either.
Take out those deaths caused by bullets, and the gun death #s go way down!
Let's just take suicide. Easy means more, especially when the high opiate usage in these areas is contributing to a mindset. Hari Kari isn't as popular.
But can we feel the compassion in the above quote?
We need more guns; they will solve all problems....

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 03-25-2020 at 05:23 AM..
Appreciate 0