Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-08-2023, 08:37 AM   #1
Philk
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Gap between Build Date and Registration Date

Having located the Build Date sticker on my i8 Coupe (at the front of the driver's door recess), I can see there was quite a time gap between the build date in Germany and the car's first proper registration here in the UK. I'm aware that BMW asked dealers to have these cars on static display (with any demonstrator cars needing to be kept for longer) which could account for longer time gaps than usual.

Looking at your own cars, what is the gap in time between the build date sticker and the car's first owner being registered?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 12:50 PM   #2
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Not an i8, but my M8, which likely had a similar demand and price point, sat in my dealer's showroom for 14 months before I purchased it. It certainly wasn't there that long due to BMW or the dealer's desire, though... people wanting to put up $140k for a car just had a lot of other ways to spent that money smarter. It at least resulted in me getting a huge discount.
      08-13-2023, 03:23 AM   #3
i8fan
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

This is a very helpful thread. I'm looking to buy an i8 Roadster and I've viewed two cars at main dealers in the past few days. Both cars were registered a couple of months apart in 2020 and were at an almost identical price and specification. However, whilst one car's build date on the sticker inside the door aperture was just two months before its registration date, the other was twenty-two months! Whilst BMW's warranties run from the registration date, I was very conscious that, for one of the cars, every component was five years old. For some components, it would not matter. However, for others (e.g. seals, suspension bushings etc), there would be a natural degradation process. There is then the fact that the main battery was considerably older in one of the cars than the other with the added question of how the battery had been looked after during nearly two years prior to its first PDI. I'm surprised with cars such as these that the build date is not looked at more closely by sellers and buyers alike.
Appreciate 0