BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
kway
BMW CCA# 144245
Rep
Drives:

Someone talk me out of buying a Boxster

Ok, so I never really considered owning a Boxster, I actually never much cared for them as a matter of fact. However, an opportunity has recently presented itself for me to purchase a very nice, one owner '01 (non-S) with 37,000 miles for $18k. Never driven one, but I did drive my neighbor's new Cayman and it was amazing. While I don't think I'll ever love the looks, I can't see them from the driver's seat. It would be nice to have a soft top cruiser for the summer too. This would of course be to tide me over 'till the 1er; I'm a "let 'em work the bugs out" kinda guy, not too keen on owning the first one off the presses. And I'd still like to take a "wait and see" approach with regards to an ///M version. So, anyone have any Boxster experience? The car is in Florida, and I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger sight unseen.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
thesunfell
Rep
Drives:

just call the porche dealer and ask how much a starter costs...sickening...
then consider that stuff adding up now that it's out of warranty and it's 6 years old...37k on the clock or not...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

I think you can extend the warranty through Porsche dealer- I'd call them for details. Plus, it's a 3 season car...
But, it sounds pretty sweet.
We all have these dream car deals fall into our laps at one point or another, and there's usually a good reason why it happens.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
PACIFICONE2003
Private
Rep
Drives:

The only thing I know about the Boxster was some engine problems in the early models. I think that was fixed by 1999-2000 model year.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
kway
BMW CCA# 144245
Rep
Drives:

Oh well, never mind on this one guys, but thanks for the input. I called him up this afternoon, one of his co-workers had already put a deposit down this morning. So I'm kinda bummed out, I was getting pretty excited about it. He did say I'd have first crack at it if this deal falls through, as the buyer still needs to secure financing. I must say, the seed has been planted though. I hadn't known you could buy your way into late model Porsche ownership so cheaply. As I said, I never paid them much mind until this prospect came along. Granted, this was a fairly exceptional deal, but I might not mind even a few extra grand for a similar car. I just hope my 325i doesn't get wind of it, I'd hate to get stranded on my way to work!
Appreciate 0