BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-28-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
Corey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '92 240SX

Very fast Saturn

Probably not what you were expecting

Someone was actually driving this thing in an autocross this past sunday. He said it had the power to weight ratio but in losing all that weight the suspension geometry was pretty much destroyed. I didn't see anyone make it through the course without spinning it several times

"You're going to have your heart broken, and you're gonna repair it with zipties."
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

who cares about the junkyard mobile, check out those two STi's on the side!

Last edited by SpecC; 03-28-2007 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Corey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
who cares about the junkyard mobile, check out those two STi's on the side! :thumbsup
There were like 10 STIs there and a few Evos.. they were a little faster than my 240

"You're going to have your heart broken, and you're gonna repair it with zipties."
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
SpecC
Rep

yeah i've seen a lot of STis and Evos at the autocross events. they seem pretty popular for those things. they're fast too! another thing about autox is that it brings a lot of miatas here and those miatas are lightning quick on the autox. some even beating the field of STis and Evos by ~3 seconds which seems pretty impressive to me
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
Corey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
yeah i've seen a lot of STis and Evos at the autocross events. they seem pretty popular for those things. they're fast too! another thing about autox is that it brings a lot of miatas here and those miatas are lightning quick on the autox. some even beating the field of STis and Evos by ~3 seconds which seems pretty impressive to me
Yeah Miatas are very capable cars, especially with a good driver. One of the instructors there was running one on snow tires and still putting down better times than most of the field. Then again the conditions were pretty bad, the whole lot was like the foreground of that picture: wet and sandy. Made for very fun but slow runs The AWD guys were having a blast though.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
mklimis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Italian and German

" 'Twas the night before Christmas and caught at the light, Was a domestic V 8 and no cops in sight, I will try, I will try, I will try with this small motor, To beat this darn Nova, even with its big blower, As the light goes green and I pull like no joke, The Nova erupts in clouds of tire smoke, Now Smasher, now Rev-ver, now Stroker, now Blitzin, These are the names of my four VTEC pistons, Racing ahead I'm the star of the action, But I know I'm in trouble when that V8 gets traction, Grabbing second, I hear the RPM sing, My mirror is blocked by my shopping cart wing, I now hear the roar, of that big monster gaining, All I can do is keep that four banger straining, In a second, the shockwave hits with a blast, And my stickers go flying now, a thing of the past, Don't bother with third, cause now it's too late, Just try to act cool, like you can relate, Looking up at the taillights as they get smaller, The driver backs off just to give me a holler, "You can't win them all," he says in a fling, "You may not win any, in that silly thing." I smiled and revved as he pulled out of sight, With my new mods tomorrow..... it will be a better night. "

"Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise."
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Yeah Miatas are very capable cars, especially with a good driver. One of the instructors there was running one on snow tires and still putting down better times than most of the field. Then again the conditions were pretty bad, the whole lot was like the foreground of that picture: wet and sandy. Made for very fun but slow runs The AWD guys were having a blast though.
+advantage for AWD! that miata must've been brilliant to watch, eh?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

lol that's kind of cool

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
who cares about the junkyard mobile, check out those two STi's on the side!
Screw that...check out that white mini-bus in the background. HAWT!

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #10
Corey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
Screw that...check out that white mini-bus in the background. HAWT!

haha that is the van with all the timing equipment and stuff in it

Yeah the Miatas are pretty impressive, crazy to see such a low power car going around the course as fast as the 300hp AWD STis. The first car out was actually a Miata. Everyone was sort of wondering how bad the water and sand was.. he was holding it together pretty well until he did a 180 on the last corner about 10 feet from the finish. Then he threw it in reverse and went through the finish backwards

I would love to take one for a run. I drove my dad's naturally aspirated MR-2 at an autocross last year, I'd imagine it would be something like that. Even with less power than my car it was in another league entirely. MR-2s are very unforgiving though.. I lost my best time by far when I spun a full 360 in the last turn. It's easy to get overconfident and push it a little too hard then get punished by snap oversteer. Damn that car can handle though. I don't think the Miata is as harsh but I've never driven one. I think there's a certain satisfaction from driving low powered cars but if I don't stop myself I could ramble forever.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 11:23 PM   #11
SpecC
Rep

yeah the twisties are where the fun is for small cars with low power!

my friend is looking to get one with pop up lights for the price and fun. then one day he was out in his Subaru Legacy (wagon) and he beat two miatas in a straight. then he decided miatas are too slow for him. a few days later, he rediscovered why he loved the miatas - for handling hahaha
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #12
Corey
Private First Class
Rep

I told Nikki to get one, because I thought she would like it obviously , but she wasn't going for it. Looks like I'll have to save my own money if I want a fun toy.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #13
SpecC
Rep

lol fail! sell your 240 and buy one!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #14
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

That the best looking saturn ever
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 08:46 AM   #15
Corey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
lol fail! sell your 240 and buy one!
I love my car too much even if it handles like a wet noodle

Appreciate 0