Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-13-2019, 09:23 PM   #23
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Pre-"loved" cars and their issues. Sorry for your nightmare experience. A few indicators like a quote for a bumper could have raised suspicion if the car is accident free or at least how it was treated. The i8 is a little different from other cars as you can increase wear significantly by draining the battery and then letting the car sit without charging, taking it cold into sports mode and rev'ing it out, etc. If it was treated well no issues but... that's a big "if" especially for a performance PHEV where basically new owners have no idea how to treat it if they didn't spend a lot of time before researching, etc.

B.t.w., the new i8 with the larger battery, suspension changes, new iDrive system, etc. is a significantly better car than the first i8. So the test with the old one does not tell the story anyway. I wouldn't have bought an old one at the time because of the small battery/pure EV range. I hope your experience doesn't spoil that option. And; get rid of that current i8 as soon as you can.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 06:44 AM   #24
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver I8

Here in the UK, you have 30 days period where you can legally just take the car back if it doesn't live up to your expectations and get a full refund.

Do you have anything like that over there? sounds like legal action is the best way to go here.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:00 PM   #25
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Just a bit of insight here, I'm a dealership technician in the USA. It's VERY common to take a client's vehicle home for extended test drives in order to duplicate concerns. I've had a customer yell at me, claiming I was "joyriding" for two weeks in her X1. While I like the X1, it was horrible driving that stupid thing around, because my own cars are far more enjoyable.

Secondly, for large jobs (especially i cars and ActiveHybrid's) must get overall approval from BMWNA (or BMWCA in your case). This involves a complicate cliams procedure, and usually an in-person inspection by a regional TSE (technical service expert). Most dealerships have only two or three "i Certified" technicians, so if he/she is already on a large job, your car isn't getting worked on anytime soon. Again, I understand the frustration, but that's how the system works.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 1
dds007411.00
      06-20-2020, 12:33 AM   #26
FrozenB7
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpina B7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8alot View Post
Hey everyone, this is the story of how my i8 broke down after 4 days and how it's still in the shop ever since. It's long but I'd appreciate any advice or feedback.

It was a 2016 pre-owned one with just 1 previous owner, 38.5k kms, and a clean record (except an estimate for repair for the front right bumper).

I chose to get a pre-owned one and try it out for 6 months before getting a new 2019 i8 as I wanted to get a feel of the lifestyle adjustment (less space, sports car etc) and logistics. BMW Toronto sales were aware of this.

I'm located in Toronto, Ontario (Canada) and ordered an i8 from BMW Sherbrooke in Sherbrooke, Quebec. Financed through a third party. I wanted a blue one and it was one of 3 blue ones for sale in the whole country.

They had 2 pre-owned i8's, a blue and black. Blue was sitting for 2 months on the market and the black for longer (dropped by $4000) almost matching the blue on despite only have 14k mileage.

Anyways, BMW Sherbrooke dropped the price by $500 after some negotiation (very uncompromising) and said they would throw in the retrofitted key (with the control display) as I asked. While we were finalizing the paperwork, they dropped the listing price by another $400 and "didn't realize it" when we brought it up with them. They didn't pass it on to me and we didn't want to bother redoing the paperwork. They also later sent a quote for that key for full price of $750+tax. Didn't feel like dealing with it so just let it go.

I arranged for my own delivery from Sherbrooke to Toronto as the dealership wanted to charge at least $1200 plus it'll take a few days to get here. I found someone who got it for me for $700 all in delivery next morning.

By the time the third-party leasing company finished prepping and installing the gps tracker, I was able to pick it up that night (July 24th). As soon as I entered the car and turned it own, there were several warnings signs including:
  • Brake Fluid Service overdue (since January 2019)
  • Washer fluid (for the windshield) empty
Then when they were giving me a crash course on the i8, the fuel tank door was glitching. It kept saying "preparing for refuelling" for a good minute or two and would either work or not work. Recommending we manually open it (through the trunk). In addition, the tires reach their max life and need replacing. Everyone who saw it is telling me to replace them ASAP.

The car was also quite dirty and the delivery guy showed me pictures to tell me before he picked it up.

So first major issue: BMW Sherbrooke didn't prep the car for delivery.

The next morning, I passed by BMW Toronto who scheduled me in for an emergency service for the above issues for Tuesday morning (July 30th). They said it'll be ready by 5pm same day and they scheduled me a shuttle saying they can't offer me a loaner because I didn't get the car from them but from another BMW dealership. I didn't mind since it was just a same day service. BMW Toronto were surprised by the condition of the car and said they would never deliver a car in this condition.

I informed BMW Sherbrooke who acted oblivious to any of these and when I asked if they disclosed any of these issues during or after the sale to the third party, they said no and that it was sold "wholesale" as is. (Laws protect consumers against this specific claim btw).

I tried getting in a quick charge while at BMW Toronto before heading out but it was taking so long. They offered to bring it to the back to charge it quicker but was still not charging fast. Since I was late, I had to leave.

I went on a rally (Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Mt Tremblant) that morning and back (about 2000km total) Sunday (28th July). Monday 29th, I was running errands downtown and suddenly multiple warnings popped up. Among them:
  • Charging Malfunction
  • RBS Regenerative braking: Not available...
  • Drivetrain: vehicle cannot be restarted
  • Scariest one was something along the lines of "do not turn of engine. won't restart. drive to nearest service station if safe"

I pulled over on a side street then tried driving to nearest service station (bmw toronto) but couldn't go faster than 10km/h and the car started jerking and shaking (like a locomotive train). So I didn't want to get on the highway or any busy street like this. Called BMW assistance and they sent a tow. We got there as soon as they closed for the day. I thought it would be fine since we had an appointment the next morning anyway.

I asked for a loaner and they said "we don't have any" and "we can't issue one since you didn't get the car from us". No shuttle was available to take me home and he didn't even offer to put me in a taxi or even call me one. Pissed off, I called the sales team when I was back home and asked if this is normal treatment of bmw customers, let alone i8 customers because this will now be a major consideration when it comes time to get the 2019 i8. She said that's policy of the dealership but the service manager can make an exception.

The next day, I noticed that the car was still on the parking lot (from the app) and not being worked on. I passed by and they said they policy is that they have until 48-72 hours to put it in the shop. Despite already having an appointment for the "regular" stuff (fuel tank). They said it won't get in the shop until Thursday (Aug 1st). I bring up the loaner car again and they said they didn't have any. A lot of back and forth (and a pretty aggressive tone from me) reminding them that the potential sale of the 2019 i8 and x7 (I wanted an SUV in the winter) is down the drain and he decides to go speak to the service manager for a while. He comes back saying they approved me and to ask the person at the service (young guy who was super cool and nice to me). Suddenly there were 6-7 cars to choose from (supposedly they had none available right?). The best being an x3 so I took that.

The next day, I get multiple calls and texts asking for the x3 back as it has been sold. I assume the manager found out it was an x3 and didn't want me driving it. The guy said he'll have another car ready, most likely a 7series coupe. I told them I'll bring them back their car when I get my i8 back. To motivate them to hurry up and put my car in the shop. They kept saying they needed it. The next day, they call me at the end of the day to say the car is now in the shop but it's the end of the day so it won't be looked at till the next day (thursday). So after a couple hours, I drive there to return the x3 and the service manager brings me an x1 saying there's nothing else.

They requested my consent to take the i8 on an overnight drive by the service manager to make sure it's all good. I thought it would be a drive around the dealership. But later that evening, I see that my car is at an elementary school in Scarborough (a neighbouring city), then a couple hours later it's at a shopping centre in Markham (another further neighbouring city), then a few hours later it's at a residence in Ajax (another city) overnight then brought back to bmw toronto the next day in the parking. That's almost 200km of driving. I'm pissed off assuming they took it on a personal drive/use. I drive there to talk to them about it that day (Friday August 2nd). They said they encountered a major issue with the battery draining really fast and the "technician was able to drive it a certain way to get it safely to the house". I would've assumed they would bring it back to the bmw dealership as it was closer (15km away) instead of the technician's house over 100 km away. Gave them benefit of the doubt but none of my friends who drive bmws, including i8 ever heard of this and they are saying to make an issue out of it as it was clearly used for personal use.

Anyways, they declared the car undrivable and are refusing to release it. After much back and forth, they said the car is in parts in the shop in the back. They said the entire hybrid system needs replacing as well as all the parts that connect to it. They said they need special approval from BMW Canada before they can work on it because it's "one of the biggest single jobs they've seen in a car". The parts are well over $5000 and another few thousand dollars in labour (covered by warranty though). They gave me the following timeline:
  • At least 1 week to get approval from BMW Canada
  • Around 10-15 business days to get the parts as they are backlogged
  • Another at least a week for labour
  • Another overnight drive to make sure it's okay

He said it won't be until September before I get the car back. And he said "that's assuming all goes perfectly and on time" but "the likelihood of that is slim as there are so many parts being replaced".

On my way out, I see the service guy and joked if he wanted the x1 back. He was like "why do you have the x1?" I prepared a service agreement for the 4 series coupe for you before I left work so when you come by you can grab it. (Hence my theory that the manager doesn't want me driving their "nicer" cars). He told me he'll call me when a better car is returned.

Updated BMW Sherbrooke, who once again assumed no responsibility - even claimed that they may have "overlooked the overdue brake fluid service" (for 7 months lol?). He then said he's on vacation if we can speak next week (he also went on a vacation a few weeks ago). Felt like he was buying time.

I pulled a Trump-style Twitter rant in the middle of the night Saturday directed at BMW Canada, tagging in BMW Group and BMWi. PM'd them my VIN and contact details. Quickly got a response after a few hours saying I'll get a call from their team by 6pm Tuesday. Finally get the call just after 6pm.

Customer team of BMW Canada. Super nice and understanding. Informed him that both Aston Martin and Audi are offering me 2019 Vantage and R8 both priced to match a 2019 i8 after they heard my situation (which is true). Said he'll need to speak to BMW Toronto to understand exactly what's going on (tech-wise) before he can propose a solution. When I asked what are the options, he said it's case-by-case but could be compensation, ordering the parts expedited, or figuring out the loaner (he was surprised I was put in an x1 as well). He said he'll get back to me tomorrow and if not the day after tomorrow (which is tomorrow). Still haven't heard back but that's where it was left off, we'll see tomorrow.

So far, here are my main issues:
  • BMW Sherbrooke delivering the car with so many issues. not even cleaning it or filling the washer fluid
  • BMW Sherbrooke not replacing tires that have reached the end of their lives.
  • BMW Sherbrooke not disclosing any of the issues.
  • BMW Sherbrooke not passing on the $400 to me after they dropped the price of the car to less than I was paying. And not including the key.
  • The obvious one of the car breaking down after only 4 days.
  • Then being lied to about the availability of a loaner by BMW Toronto and the constant active attempt and making sure I'm not put in a better car. I'm paying for an i8 only to drive an x1 (for now, I'm sure they'll want that back too to put me in a lesser value car).

I'd appreciate any thoughts, feedback, and advice. I'm 25-26 and this is my first car so I'm not sure how to navigate this.

Update 1: August 8th: BMW Toronto Service call me to tell me that the warranty claim is still pending and hasn't been approved by BMW Canada yet. Suggested to ship the car back to BMW Sherbrooke and walk away. BMW Canada hasn't called me back and hasn't been responding to my calls all day.

Update 2: August 9th: BMW Canada calls me saying they spoke to BMW Toronto and said:
  • 1 of the technicians is on vacation and there's only one so it's moving slower
  • They won't need to do the whole job right away and just work on the wiring first to see if that will fix it (but it will take time because of the above)
  • When I told him that's not what BMW Toronto said (suggesting I just return and walk away), he was surprised and said he now needs to look into this and will cal be back end of day
  • He is going to look into why I wasn't given the 4series coupe as the service desk guy said he prepared it for me and will see if there's any better car available than the x1 (even though Toronto told him there isn't)
  • He is going to look into the whole overnight drive to see if that is normal procedure and why if there were issues within 10 km of driving, that they didn't return the car to the dealership instead of adding another 150km+ to the drive
  • He noted down BMW Sherbrooke's little to no response to this when I brought it up with them. Asked for names.
  • He said he will look into switching the cars with the other i8 but it's not something they usually do
  • He said the car needs to be fixed before they can offer/look into compensation

Update 3: August 9th end of day: BMW Canada told me the first repair of the "something electric harness bracket" needs a week including the overnight drive (joyride). So if all goes well with that, it should be ready next friday. If not, they will need to do the major repair of replacing the entire hybrid system which could take a month since the parts are backlogged but said, depending why, they may be able to expedite the part. He said no better loaner car is available supposedly according to BMW Toronto. And said they can't switch them out, it would need to be the dealer I got it from. But I clearly don't trust them with any other car. I told them I'll give them a week (i'm travelling anyway) to figure it out and if that doesn't fix it, then it's done. Either way, I'm not planning on holding onto this car after December.
Popping into the i8 forum because I'm in the process of picking up an i8 roadster to enjoy for the summer. Stumbled upon this gem. So much going on here, lots of red flags. I'll keep my advice short and sweet-

1. Don't be emotional- BMW Toronto doesn't care that you might buy an i8 and an X7 one day. They literally move 100's of cars each month. Instead, maybe try to start a good relationship with the team there. Your patience and general polish will go a long way. Salespeople and the service team are people too. Make some friends along the way.

2. If you're shopping for an i8, lose the 3rd party leasing company. i8 money is cheap right now via BMW.

Good luck!
      07-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #27
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
Just a bit of insight here, I'm a dealership technician in the USA. It's VERY common to take a client's vehicle home for extended test drives in order to duplicate concerns. I've had a customer yell at me, claiming I was "joyriding" for two weeks in her X1. While I like the X1, it was horrible driving that stupid thing around, because my own cars are far more enjoyable.

Secondly, for large jobs (especially i cars and ActiveHybrid's) must get overall approval from BMWNA (or BMWCA in your case). This involves a complicate cliams procedure, and usually an in-person inspection by a regional TSE (technical service expert). Most dealerships have only two or three "i Certified" technicians, so if he/she is already on a large job, your car isn't getting worked on anytime soon. Again, I understand the frustration, but that's how the system works.
Can agree, mine has been taken home overnight. I didn't appreciate the mileage, but the dealership is responsible if anything goes wrong, so whatever.
Appreciate 0