BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #23
Birdland
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster Doninton Grey

I am receiving my new Roadster in app 2 weeks. Looking forward to how the car will preform in the snow and sometimes very cold climate in Oslo.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #24
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdland View Post
I am receiving my new Roadster in app 2 weeks. Looking forward to how the car will preform in the snow and sometimes very cold climate in Oslo.
Will be my first winter with the Roadster as a daily driver as well. We don't get much snow but I live on a steep hill and that can be a challenge for non-AWDs. Maybe we can share some tips and experiences. Not so many people accepting the i8 as a daily driver challenge it seams. Up to now I am really happy with performance incl. shopping and driving my wife to the airport with carry on luggage
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #25
Mr Squarekins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I8

I use my i8 coupe as my daily. I'm heading into my first winter too. Having come from a long list of rwd bmws, I'm quite looking forward to the fwd
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #26
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Squarekins View Post
I use my i8 coupe as my daily. I'm heading into my first winter too. Having come from a long list of rwd bmws, I'm quite looking forward to the fwd
Well as a FWD on wet roads with the 215 winters on both axles it sucks I can tell you

But as AWD it's pretty good
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:58 AM   #27
Birdland
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster Doninton Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
Will be my first winter with the Roadster as a daily driver as well. We don't get much snow but I live on a steep hill and that can be a challenge for non-AWDs. Maybe we can share some tips and experiences. Not so many people accepting the i8 as a daily driver challenge it seams. Up to now I am really happy with performance incl. shopping and driving my wife to the airport with carry on luggage
I will share some deep snow winter photos when time comes. I am not planning on using the Roadster as a daily. The reason for buying the car now is that there are only a very limited number of new roadsters available from BMW Norway and this is the best time of the year for negotiating a good deal for this type of car.
The car will be delivered on new Nordic winter tyres and my experience is that it’s the the quality of tyre that determinate winter performance to a large extend.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #28
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

I precondition at the end of my work day, and on cold or hot days, I lose a maximum of 3 miles of range. During the temperate months, I lose 1 mile of range. Running the A/C compressor and fans does use battery.

I don't precondition at home since I park in a garage that is part of my house so it stays within 20 degrees F of my residence.
      11-18-2019, 06:44 AM   #29
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver I8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
That's not the case in my car. I have full charge when I set off after a plugged-in precondition.

It's worth noting that the range shown on the dash is just a estimate based on how you have previously driven it. It will take into account driving style, whether you had the a/c on, hills, ...etc. It is not an accurate range reading - it's more of an estimate to give you some indication.

As a rough guide, the four segments on the battery bar give me around 14-16 miles in the winter even though the range only ever shows 12 or 13. As such if I have one full bar remaining but the car is telling me that I only have 1 mile of range (which it sometimes does), I know that it really has 3-4 miles left in it.
Out of interest, when you set your departure time with precondition/climatize while plugged in, do you set the time as your actual time you leave or do you set the time a bit earlier that actual?

Mine was plugged in all last night so will have reached a full charge after say 4 hrs but when i went to the car at 6.30am (same as time that was set), i could hear the fans on but the 'changing light' on the lead was also on?

As someone else said, it seems that it uses the battery power to precondition then replaces it by charging again via the lead. So it might take longer to replenish what is taken? Are you using the standard charger or the higher fast charge?
It may be much better with the fast charger.

The other option, as i said is for me to set the departure time earier than i leave to give it more time perhaps? Would that make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 06:13 AM   #30
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss tone View Post
Out of interest, when you set your departure time with precondition/climatize while plugged in, do you set the time as your actual time you leave or do you set the time a bit earlier that actual?

Mine was plugged in all last night so will have reached a full charge after say 4 hrs but when i went to the car at 6.30am (same as time that was set), i could hear the fans on but the 'changing light' on the lead was also on?

As someone else said, it seems that it uses the battery power to precondition then replaces it by charging again via the lead. So it might take longer to replenish what is taken? Are you using the standard charger or the higher fast charge?
It may be much better with the fast charger.

The other option, as i said is for me to set the departure time earier than i leave to give it more time perhaps? Would that make a difference?
I set the time as my actual departure time. The car starts the preconditioning a few minutes earlier to reach the desired temperature at the chosen departure time. The preconditioning continues for about 15 mins past the set time in case I am running late before it shuts down.

I use a type 2 cable plugged into my 32A EV charger (although the i8 only draws a maximum of 16A).
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #31
sajmani
#LetRideBeYourLife
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

Talking Thanks for sharing experience

This was very good information as I have been looking to get an i8 myself.
Thanks everyone for sharing the experience https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/i...es/thumbup.gif
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 04:51 AM   #32
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver I8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
I set the time as my actual departure time. The car starts the preconditioning a few minutes earlier to reach the desired temperature at the chosen departure time. The preconditioning continues for about 15 mins past the set time in case I am running late before it shuts down.

I use a type 2 cable plugged into my 32A EV charger (although the i8 only draws a maximum of 16A).
It sounds like you have the higher rated fast charger then. Mine is the standard UK 3 pin plug that i think draws 8-10A in order to plug into a domestic 13A supply taking about 4hrs for a full charge.
I think yours will be coping with the precondition demand much better so you probably hardly see any range loss.

I have my departure time also set to the 'actual' give or take 5 mins.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #33
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
It sounds like you have the higher rated fast charger then. Mine is the standard UK 3 pin plug that i think draws 8-10A in order to plug into a domestic 13A supply taking about 4hrs for a full charge.
I think yours will be coping with the precondition demand much better so you probably hardly see any range loss.

The very small battery in the i8 is artificially limited (onboard) to a max charge rate of only 3.7KW! This is by design (BMW).

While Level 1 (120v) chargers generally charge at only about 1.4 KW, you will never get the full charging potential out of a Level 2 (220-240V) charger which can deliver between 7.7 KW (32A) and 9.6 KW (40A).

Even best case, you'll never even hit 50% of the possible charging rate from even the smallest (32A) level 2 (220-240V) charger...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #34
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:

A fast charger will charge the i8 at 16A reducing the charge time to just over a couple of hours. Might be worth considering... you can pick one up for ~£250.

I definitely don't suffer any range loss with preconditioning. My battery capacity is at 100% every time on departure.
Appreciate 0