BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

10-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

BMW i8 in a revving contest

I couldn't make this up if I tried. I was challenged to a revving contest with the i8 and captured it on film. I might have won this one but I really need to get a Maxhaust now, LOL.

What started out to be a cold, gloomy and small cars and coffee event lead to one of the bigger names in YouTube Automotive Entertainment showing up with 4 cars and a camera man. Then, the shenanigans began. Totally unscripted, I was happy to have my video camera with me, participating in a rev contest and getting to flip my door up behind an Aventador SVJ on the highway.

10-30-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
Tazzie
Private
Rep

Great video. The i8 certainly held its own.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2019, 03:54 AM   #3
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

How do you rev an i8? In Sport mode you are always in drive so revving will result in forward motion. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Most of the sound is being generated by the external speaker under the rear. It's not real, nor particularly loud. Sounds better inside the i8 (in Sport mode) IMO.

Maxhaust can obviously make it a LOT louder outside - more & better speaker sounds.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Still don’t know how you can “rev” without going forward? Or tbh, why one would want to...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:09 AM   #6
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionicsilveri8 View Post
How do you rev an i8? In Sport mode you are always in drive so revving will result in forward motion. Am I missing something?
Make sure the doors are closed. Press the Start button with your foot on the brake. You should be in Comfort Mode by default. Keep the car in Park. Put your foot on the gas. It will start.
      11-07-2019, 07:13 AM   #7
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionicsilveri8 View Post
why one would want to...
Two reasons:

1. In the States, they typically do emissions tests using the OBDII connector, and the car must be running so the tester's computers can read the active data and codes. Some owners and emissions testing stations don't know how to get the car running without switching it to Drive > Sport Mode, so they end up getting a waiver. But, I used an automated testing station, which is cheaper and faster than dealing with the technicians. I needed to have the engine running or it wouldn't test me.

2. Respond in the affirmative to a rev contest.
      11-07-2019, 02:30 PM   #8
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

3. Noise check on track. But as you can't see RPM, it's meaningless anyway. They always just give me a green (pass) sticker as there is no way it is too loud
Appreciate 0