BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #23
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

@Peggsy is in the UK, so looks like no laser lights in the UK, either.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #24
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
@Peggsy is in the UK, so looks like no laser lights in the UK, either.
Gotta love nanny states.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #25
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

So true. It's not like the laser lights are being outfitted to evil murderous sharks.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #26
Peggsy
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 & Jag Project 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Unfortunately the laser won't be available in the US due to government red tape. And I thought the Pure Impulse was kind of silly. But in Germany where nothing is standard it basically adds everything and a few interior trim things like embossed leather. Otherwise you're better off just specing the options individually.

I don't think anyone but first in line will see a car before the next model year, some of the largest dealerships in the US are only getting one during 2014. We'll see how all of this shakes down.
Would have thought it was EU regulated and would be surprised if Germany had it unavailable too (some on the road test vehicles have them equipped).

I am second in line and have been told late 2014 delivery and first batch but this is in the UK and at a very large dealership (Partridge) run by the ex manager of the London Park Lane dealership. If you didn't realise, the Park Lane dealership is fully owned by BMW so akin to ordering direct from BMW in Germany, also Park Lane was the first I showroom in the world and home of the concepts for quite a while. I have spoken to the staff at the Park Lane dealership and late 2014 is the earliest timeframe they are giving their clients.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #27
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggsy View Post
Would have thought it was EU regulated and would be surprised if Germany had it unavailable too (some on the road test vehicles have them equipped).

I am second in line and have been told late 2014 delivery and first batch but this is in the UK and at a very large dealership (Partridge) run by the ex manager of the London Park Lane dealership. If you didn't realise, the Park Lane dealership is fully owned by BMW so akin to ordering direct from BMW in Germany, also Park Lane was the first I showroom in the world and home of the concepts for quite a while. I have spoken to the staff at the Park Lane dealership and late 2014 is the earliest timeframe they are giving their clients.
Not doubting the veracity of your situation, just saying that it appears BMW is playing no favorites with the i8 launch, even with corporate stores. I've been told that even some of the highest volume dealers in the DC/VA/MD metro area are getting only one in the first round.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #28
Senox
Rep
Drives: Audi A7

I placed an order today! The sales rep told me production month July (!). Waiting on a confirmation tomorrow...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #29
Senox
Rep

Also the laser light would be available as from November production, he said.

He also said to me something very interesting; the 362 hp actually has a boost function (under certain conditions) that allows the electric motor to use all of its 170 hp (same as in i3) giving a total effect of 401 hp! He said this info come from Germany. I actually wrote it down on the purchase agreement and he didn't rejected. Anyone else heard about this?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #30
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senox View Post
I placed an order today! The sales rep told me production month July (!).
...He also said to me something very interesting; the 362 hp actually has a boost function (under certain conditions) that allows the electric motor to use all of its 170 hp (same as in i3) giving a total effect of 401 hp!
I think when he says July production he means that's when your car's build slot starts, i.e. delivery couple of months later, meaning ETA at your dealership in September. But to be honest, even that seems rather optimistic based on the other information other customers (inc. myself) have been receiving from our dealerships and official BMW communications.

Total 401 bhp?!? That doesn't make sense as the engine has a maximum output of 231 bhp and the electric motor has a max. output of 131 bhp, which lines up with the "Combined system output" of 362 hp which is quoted in the official Tech Specs!

P.S. I saw the car today for the first time. My BMW i dealer and another customer were invited to see the car at BMW UK's headquarters. We were allowed to get up close and personal (sit in it etc.), and I have to say that I am impressed I'll post some pics in the following thread: sitting in the i8...

Tilum
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #31
Senox
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilum View Post
I think when he says July production he means that's when your car's build slot starts, i.e. delivery couple of months later, meaning ETA at your dealership in September. But to be honest, even that seems rather optimistic based on the other information other customers (inc. myself) have been receiving from our dealerships and official BMW communications.

Total 401 bhp?!? That doesn't make sense as the engine has a maximum output of 231 bhp and the electric motor has a max. output of 131 bhp, which lines up with the "Combined system output" of 362 hp which is quoted in the official Tech Specs!

P.S. I saw the car today for the first time. My BMW i dealer and another customer were invited to see the car at BMW UK's headquarters. We were allowed to get up close and personal (sit in it etc.), and I have to say that I am impressed I'll post some pics in the following thread: sitting in the i8...

Tilum
I found it strange too. But he insisted that the electric engine is the same as in i3 and that BMW had chosen to lower the output from originally 170 hp, as in i3, to 131. However that the now added boost functionality where they temporarily let it use all of the 170 hp + 231 = 401 hp.

If it's true it could have been a late decision from BMW to calm som BMW enthusiasm scream for a M version even before the i8 even hit the market.

It sounds very strange (and fun!) just because we haven't heard about it before. The only reason why I think it can be some truth in it is because I heard the i8 expert also talked about a boost function when I was invited to see and sit in the car.

A mysterious car indeed
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:07 PM   #32
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senox View Post
I found it strange too. But he insisted that the electric engine is the same as in i3 and that BMW had chosen to lower the output from originally 170 hp, as in i3, to 131. However that the now added boost functionality where they temporarily let it use all of the 170 hp + 231 = 401 hp.

If it's true it could have been a late decision from BMW to calm som BMW enthusiasm scream for a M version even before the i8 even hit the market.
Probably more of a reliability factor. BMW M has already said they aren't touching the i8. M and i have different core philosophies. That doesn't mean M won't use their carbon tech.
Appreciate 0