BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

04-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Empathy Experiment: Understanding Why America is hated.

I tried the experiment. I can say I understand why. Share your thoughts and, please, no insensitive comments because I know this can be a sensitive topic.

Alternate Lecture: I liked this lecture version better. It's the same talk, but in this one the images actually come up on the screen.

http://www.ted.com/talks/sam_richard...n_empathy.html

Last edited by Vanity; 04-24-2011 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

tl;dw. cliffs.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
tl;dw. cliffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinel999 View Post
who hates america? i don't hate america. i love this country.
Lol. Completely missed the point on this thread, but thats okay.
      04-24-2011, 02:38 AM   #4
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CS.E63sEstate.Huracan.i8vrt

it was interesting to watch this...

Though I don't see it having too much affect on many people
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 02:40 AM   #5
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

If you don't like the country, go back home

/sensitive comment
      04-24-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
If you don't like the country, go back home
op is canadian anyway
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 02:55 AM   #7
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
op is canadian anyway
Canadians shouldnt complain, they have free healthcare and dont have to fund a major military, they have us.
      04-24-2011, 04:08 AM   #8
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post

+1
      04-24-2011, 04:47 AM   #9
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Can someone give cliff notes lol
      04-24-2011, 05:09 AM   #10
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post

It was a very good lecture and some of the stuff I've been saying to people for years but a) noone wants to listen and b) most people just believe what they hear from the media.

I keep an open mind. I don't support terrorists and can never justify their actions, but I can understand some of their anger. Some of these people are just pure evil, but a lot are actually people who feel the pain of being oppressed in their country and being in war. Imagine what that must be like to live in.

Similarly, I hate America's (and UK) foreign policy because as I keep saying it's all about protecting western interests (oil and power) and using the media to brainwash people. What these 2 countries do is try to portray themselves as world policemen and they are the judges of what is right/wrong. If you don't follow America and take action they will say "how can you stand by and watch innocents die?", however, they twist words because they are the ones killing innocents too!

I do understand though that these wars are not a Christian movement nor do they represent the views of all Americans. Instead I attach blame only to those in power. Just my thoughts.
      04-24-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
It was a very good lecture and some of the stuff I've been saying to people for years but a) noone wants to listen and b) most people just believe what they hear from the media.

I keep an open mind. I don't support terrorists and can never justify their actions, but I can understand some of their anger. Some of these people are just pure evil, but a lot are actually people who feel the pain of being oppressed in their country and being in war. Imagine what that must be like to live in.

Similarly, I hate America's (and UK) foreign policy because as I keep saying it's all about protecting western interests (oil and power) and using the media to brainwash people. What these 2 countries do is try to portray themselves as world policemen and they are the judges of what is right/wrong. If you don't follow America and take action they will say "how can you stand by and watch innocents die?", however, they twist words because they are the ones killing innocents too!

I do understand though that these wars are not a Christian movement nor do they represent the views of all Americans. Instead I attach blame only to those in power. Just my thoughts.
And that was exactly what the entire lecture tried to show. That the American Government in power looked VERY different to people of other countries and America came off much differently than they portray themselves to the public here (in the states and in Canada, and I'm sure some of Europe). But it's good some people here didn't want to listen to it and said America was #1. That's cool. But that's exactly what the video tried to make you "empathize" about and get out of your chair and feel differently about.
      04-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah but I don't think many people care. IMO most people just look at things at face value. I know I keep going on about it but the media is partly to blame. If you believe everything you hear then you would think America and Britain exist to liberate backward countries in the east from dictators and stop terrorism.

However, that's not entirely true. The west used to have close ties to Saddam, Gadafi and even Osama Bin Laden. They still have close links with countries such as Saudi Arabia. Bottom line is America and Britain will have ties with any countries that they can benefit from and will bomb any country that might have it's own voice and not share interests with the west. There's also double standards because certain countries are allowed to have nuclear weapons (even without signing the NPT) and others are not allowed to.

Also, let's not forget the global recession we are in right now. Recently here in the UK top bankers received huge bonuses despite the failing banking system and mess the country is in (inflation, VAT, fuel prices etc). Does that sound like a country who cares about freedom of people and democracy? The rich get richer and poor are getting poorer. We do have poverty even in "Great" Britain.
      04-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

wrong forum
      04-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #14
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Y'all get off our Cock!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinel999 View Post
who hates america? i don't hate america. i love this country.
Who hates America? Seriously ?

Does the date Sep 11, 2001 ring a bell with you ?

Whether you or your friends hate America is irrelevant, the fact remains that a lot of others who also share this planet may hate America. A small percentage of those are willing to do some pretty mind-boggling horrific things as an expression of that hate, as we have sadly seen.

Whether you agree with that hate is actually irrelevant, so telling people to "go back to where they came from" if they dont like it here will have no effect whatsoever on how fast a building will collapse after a plane flies into it.

Doesn't matter if you agree with their position or not, fact is, they hold this position. How could it not be in our best interest to try and understand where that hate comes from, and then, going forward, perhaps consider some small changes such that we can reduce the chance of that happening again without compromising our identity.

(unless of course you are naive enough think that the DHS, etc can actually bring the odds of another terrorist attack on American soil down to zero, thus continuing the current foreign policy poses no risks to us.)

It is not the "decadent western infidels" that these people are trying to hurt. If so, then major attacks would be happening in places like Australia and Canada, where they also practice capitalism, drink beer, have premarital sex, allow their women to own property and vote while wearing a bikini, and do all sorts of other things that extremists might have a problem with.

The difference is that Australian and Canadian forces are not the first to stick their nose in places they dont belong in the interest of liberating massive oil reserves (while turning a blind eye to equally horrible human rights atrocities such as Rwanda, where the poor folks had the misfortune to occupy land which is not oil-rich while enduring their genocide. Kinda hard to paint yourself as the worlds policeman when that happens).
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
The difference is that Australian and Canadian forces are not the first to stick their nose in places they dont belong in the interest of liberating massive oil reserves (while turning a blind eye to equally horrible human rights atrocities such as Rwanda, where the poor folks had the misfortune to occupy land which is not oil-rich while enduring their genocide. Kinda hard to paint yourself as the worlds policeman when that happens).
Powerful groups with imperialistic intent, go back thousands of years to even the ancient greeks. The problem is that the US cares about its image. No one demands an explanation when russian invades georgia for its natural gas, or uses the ukraine to assemble its airplaines. If we want to be top dog this century, we have to take a page off china and russian, and be the type of people whos imperialistic actions are not questioned. I still believe that we (US) are the lesser of all evil empires(or groups with power) currently in existence.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #17
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep

I would agree with you that we are certainly the lesser evil of all powerful groups on the planet today, by a huge degree. However, the fact that people dont fly airliners into office buildings in China or Russia is clear proof that not everyone's opinions are formed based on the same criteria.

Ultimately, I'd suggest that their opinions are more important than yours or mine if they are willing to kill thousands of innocent people to get their way while you and I are not. I'm not saying that keeping them happy is more important than keeping you or I happy, but understanding the root causes of their motivation is not something that we can afford to neglect.

Obviously, the execution of an "imperialistic" (as you call it) approach can be done without provoking such groups into taking such extreme actions, and we seem to be failing when it comes to learning how to do that. IMHO, painting the USA as the world's policeman, global enforcer of all that is just and right, is not helping as people are seeing right thru that.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #18
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I would agree with you that we are certainly the lesser evil of all powerful groups on the planet today, by a huge degree. However, the fact that people dont fly airliners into office buildings in China or Russia is clear proof that not everyone's opinions are formed based on the same criteria.

Ultimately, I'd suggest that their opinions are more important than yours or mine if they are willing to kill thousands of innocent people to get their way while you and I are not. I'm not saying that keeping them happy is more important than keeping you or I happy, but understanding the root causes of their motivation is not something that we can afford to neglect.
Bin Laden is an idiot. He is a relic. He represents a lifestyle, and idology that is dated. There is no difference between him, and the unibomber. Both are cave men, who need to accept the fact that modern industrialized mankind will win out in the end, no matter what. Him having problems with us is one thing. He's stupid because he didn't take the time to know us, before condeming us. He also might not realize that flying planes into a building will not make americans care about him, or the middle east. Its ironic that they are fixated on two other countries, while leaving his own homeland saudi arabia alone. Ask anyone on the streets of new york, and they couldn't point out iraq, afghanistan, or even osama's home country out on a map to save their lives. Two reasons come to mind. Our country is made up of immigrants. As such, we don't care about the rest of the world, which we fled because of poverty, fammine and war. Secondly we are very ignorant. We chose to fund our military, and not our education or even health care system, so that we would matter in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #19
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep

OK, I agree with some of your statements here, but I am not sure of the resulting point you are trying to make. Yes Bin Laden is an old-fashined relic, but he is not irrelevant. He is too influential to be dismissed. Are you saying that, since we will ultimately win in the end, we should just continue with the current approach, since we will never enlighten him anyhow ? Even if this incites further attacks we cannot prevent, because it wont matter in the long term ?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #20
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep

Quote:
OK, I agree with some of your statements here, but I am not sure of the resulting point you are trying to make. Yes Bin Laden is an old-fashined relic, but he is not irrelevant. He is too influential to be dismissed. Are you saying that, since we will ultimately win in the end, we should just continue with the current approach, since we will never enlighten him anyhow ? Even if this incites further attacks we cannot prevent, because it wont matter in the long term ?
Bin Laden is certianly not irrelevant, but he certainly does have extremely self centered political rhetoric/ideology. He is simply using those around him, and those he can influence, as a means to an end. So, I get his situation. He helped bring an end to the solviet interferance in afghanistan, and while doing it, saw what happens when two superpowers compete for the hearts and resources of a smaller country. His solution: End them both. Fine, I see his point, but that is where my empathy for him ends. Just hope he has enough time in his life to learn chinese, because he'll probably need the language skills. Personally, I feel that english is certainly easier to understand than russian, or chinese.
Appreciate 0