BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

06-12-2023, 06:15 PM   #1
RSouthern
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

frunk opened by itself?

All,

My daughter took her i3 shopping and when she returned the car warned her the front trunk was open. It hadn't been before she left and she's pretty sure she didn't bump the button on the door frame area. We've had the car for 18+ months and this hasn't happened before.

I checked when she came home and there's no obvious damage to the pain or area between the grills where you would access the latch, but I did notice what looks like an oval indent/scratch or possibly an injection molding mark in the rubber flap that protects this area from wind/dirt when closed.

My question to everyone is: are there any reports of break-ins by manipulating the frunk latch from outside to open the frunk? It this point I'm not sure if this was just a car error (e.g. failing logic board/software), user error (e.g. she bumped the button) or vandalism/break-in.

BTW, nothing was taken as she only keeps the inflator and tire patch goo in there (and some leaves that somehow got trapped. In other words, nothing of value. Also, I assume the alarm would have sounded if the frunk had actually been opened. it seems to have only been unlatched since the alarm doesn't appear to have been triggered.

thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 06:14 AM   #2
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Is your remote programmed with a frunk unlock button? If so, it could have been a pocket/purse press.....
      06-23-2023, 05:40 PM   #3
RSouthern
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I don't think so, I just checked and the frunk wouldn't open with any of the remote buttons.

Last edited by RSouthern; 06-23-2023 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 10:38 PM   #4
Johnny_Cakes
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW i3

Did she put gas in the car? Perhaps hit the button then.
Appreciate 0