Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-10-2022, 04:44 PM   #45
TMonk57
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

@Kenny FSU. I was researching M235 info on the forums and by accident I found this post. I think I just bought your old M235xi from Carmax in Tampa. Was it a mistake? I still have until 3/2/22 to return it to Carmax for a full refund. I noticed you said you had HPFP problems. I'd like to know more about the car...I'm a little worried about keeping it now that I've read some of the car's history on this forum. I do really like the car, it looks great, I just need it to be reliable. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by TMonk57; 02-10-2022 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 05:56 PM   #46
TMonk57
Rep

M235xi with a bike on it.

Here is a picture of the car now. After I bought it I took it on a mountain bike trip to Brooksville.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
KennyFSU1102.50
Cos270608.50
      02-11-2022, 08:44 AM   #47
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMonk57 View Post
@Kenny FSU. I was researching M235 info on the forums and by accident I found this post. I think I just bought your old M235xi from Carmax in Tampa. Was it a mistake? I still have until 3/2/22 to return it to Carmax for a full refund. I noticed you said you had HPFP problems. I'd like to know more about the car...I'm a little worried about keeping it now that I've read some of the car's history on this forum. I do really like the car, it looks great, I just need it to be reliable. Thanks for any help!
Yep that was mine, I can tell by the smoked rear reflectors. So after the car stalled out and didn't start back up, I had it towed to Midnite Tuning in Largo and they replaced the EPK (fuel pump) module. The car ran fine after that and they said because of my BM3 stage 1 tune, it was taxing the fuel system so the EPK burned out prematurely. Now that it's back to stock, you shouldn't have the same issues but nothing is certain.

It was a great car and I miss it dearly but being stranded 100 miles from home on Xmas night left a sour taste in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 10:36 AM   #48
TMonk57
Rep

Hey man thanks for being honest. I actually love the car. I have driven it about 600 miles already and it’s been fine. I am taking it to a bimmer shop next week to have them go through it front to back. I noticed the VRSF pipe. It looks really nice. So I can assume that the engine and transmission are back to the stock tune now? I also have the CarMax extended warranty which helps me sleep at night. This is my first BMW, but I’ve had Volkswagens leave me stranded before so I get what you mean about being stranded. I am selling my problem-free 2017 Infiniti QX50 for this car so I am both nervous and excited. Any other history you have on the car is appreciated. I plan to treat it like a baby and drive it as long as I can.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 12:28 PM   #49
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey man thanks for being honest. I actually love the car. I have driven it about 600 miles already and it’s been fine. I am taking it to a bimmer shop next week to have them go through it front to back. I noticed the VRSF pipe. It looks really nice. So I can assume that the engine and transmission are back to the stock tune now? I also have the CarMax extended warranty which helps me sleep at night. This is my first BMW, but I’ve had Volkswagens leave me stranded before so I get what you mean about being stranded. I am selling my problem-free 2017 Infiniti QX50 for this car so I am both nervous and excited. Any other history you have on the car is appreciated. I plan to treat it like a baby and drive it as long as I can.
Yeah, I flashed it all back to stock upon selling. I also have replaced the coolant return hose about 10k miles ago, it never broke but I wanted to change it before it did. I changed the oil every 5-8k m using OEM oil and filter. I have done a UOA (used oil analysis) on it about once a year and it has always come back with positive reviews, no wear and tear metals or other unwanted fluids detected. They even said I could wait to change it every 10k m if I wanted but I stuck to 5-8k for peace of mind. I also babied the car, never tracked it and only went to the drag strip 3 times. I also replaced all 4 brake pads with Stop Tech pads and sensors about 5k m ago.

I'm glad it went to someone who will care for it. I don't foresee any others issues with it but if you mod it for performance, be sure to upgrade the IC and hpfp.

It was my second Bimmer but first boosted and awd one, so very different characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #50
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
I told myself wouldn't mod it but survey says that was a lie.

Threw an Apexi catback on there yesterday in 30*F weather, WTF Florida?!
I had an ISF, and one thing you really need is longtubes! They sound amazing on this platform. I had a pair of sikkys just like this

02-11-2022, 04:36 PM   #51
TMonk57
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
Yeah, I flashed it all back to stock upon selling. I also have replaced the coolant return hose about 10k miles ago, it never broke but I wanted to change it before it did. I changed the oil every 5-8k m using OEM oil and filter. I have done a UOA (used oil analysis) on it about once a year and it has always come back with positive reviews, no wear and tear metals or other unwanted fluids detected. They even said I could wait to change it every 10k m if I wanted but I stuck to 5-8k for peace of mind. I also babied the car, never tracked it and only went to the drag strip 3 times. I also replaced all 4 brake pads with Stop Tech pads and sensors about 5k m ago.

I'm glad it went to someone who will care for it. I don't foresee any others issues with it but if you mod it for performance, be sure to upgrade the IC and hpfp.

It was my second Bimmer but first boosted and awd one, so very different characteristics.
Thank you so much for all that information. I really, really appreciate it! I live in South Tampa so if you see me driving around give me a wave. I'll be looking out for your Lexus. I hope you really enjoy the Lexus as much as you did the M235xi. Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
KennyFSU1102.50
      02-14-2022, 08:23 AM   #52
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x622 View Post
I had an ISF, and one thing you really need is longtubes! They sound amazing on this platform. I had a pair of sikkys just like this

Wow, that does sound awesome, thanks.

Quote:
Thank you so much for all that information. I really, really appreciate it! I live in South Tampa so if you see me driving around give me a wave. I'll be looking out for your Lexus. I hope you really enjoy the Lexus as much as you did the M235xi. Thanks again!
Sure thing and let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks and be safe.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 06:52 AM   #53
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Check your PM.
Appreciate 0