02-08-2022, 03:40 PM   #1
pL86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

"market sales value" pricing

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Nonsense from a BMW dealership I contacted regarding submitting an order for an iX:

"Just spoke to our New Car Management team. Moving forward on the BMW ix50 we are going to base pricing on the Market sales value once the BMW ix50 is released. If BMW ix50's are being sold for 10k more at the time your car arrives we would be following the markets price."
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #2
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Not surprising. Dealership greed never ceases to amaze. But of course, that's also the nature of the business. In some markets, dealerships would be foolish not to mark up a product in such high demand.

l feel fortunate to be working with a dealership whose policy is to never sell above msrp regardless of demand, and they put it in writing, which is why I've been a repeat customer of theirs since I bought my first bmw from them in 2004.
Al Pină1839.50
      02-08-2022, 04:28 PM   #3
pL86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

It's just dumb play in this case - it's hard to jack up the price when other nearby dealerships are sticking with MSRP. Another dealership literally a couple miles down the road offered me MSRP - when I mentioned that, the first client advisor who minutes before said they had moved to market price said his management would "honor" MSRP. Talk about making a bad impression. Needless to say, my order is going to the dealership who offered MSRP from the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 06:02 PM   #4
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

I felt bad hearing I would not get 6% off like I did when the X5 was a new refresh.

In the US I think we still get the BMW club discount correct? I am also hearing maybe a loyalty discount.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 08:37 PM   #5
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
I felt bad hearing I would not get 6% off like I did when the X5 was a new refresh.

In the US I think we still get the BMW club discount correct? I am also hearing maybe a loyalty discount.
I checked with the Rebate Manager at CCA and she's checking with BMW NA for the iX. Makes sense, but it's not on the list right now. Will report back when I hear....
Appreciate 2
TechCTU766.00
Refujeet263.50
      02-10-2022, 10:50 AM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Received information back from BMW CCA:

I received an email back from BMW NA in regards to whether or not the iX will be added to the rebate program. At this time BMW NA has decided not to add the iX to the membership reward program though they may choose to add it in the future. Have a good day.

I suppose they think sales will be good enough to not include this incentive for now, but time will tell....
Appreciate 1
TechCTU766.00
      02-10-2022, 01:44 PM   #7
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pL86 View Post
Nonsense from a BMW dealership I contacted regarding submitting an order for an iX:

"Just spoke to our New Car Management team. Moving forward on the BMW ix50 we are going to base pricing on the Market sales value once the BMW ix50 is released. If BMW ix50's are being sold for 10k more at the time your car arrives we would be following the markets price."

This is why people are avoiding dealers and buying Teslas and Rivians. Shame really. But nice we have choices. I see GM and Ford recently made some bold statements to their dealers if they are caught 'market pricing'.
      02-10-2022, 04:09 PM   #8
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

I guarantee you people now complaining about dealer markups in a time of very light demand are the very same people who said they would "never pay full sticker" and considered the minimum discount before talking to a finance guy at least 5% off MSRP.

Turnabout is fair play, sometimes....
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 05:13 PM   #9
venom21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50 Tesla MYP Prev: 530e

No markup on my order per se, but the dealer is charging $4000CAD PDI/transport fee LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 05:41 PM   #10
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom21 View Post
No markup on my order per se, but the dealer is charging $4000CAD PDI/transport fee LOL
where in Canada are you located?
I tried setting a couple of different provinces on the Bmw Canada site and Freight and PDI is supposed to be 2,095$ for the ones I checked.

I would start by politely point out that the number is incorrect. If they insist on the higher number, call BMW Canada directly and ask if a dealer is allowed to charge more than the advertised cost for freight and PDI. I don't think they are, but who knows.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 05:45 PM   #11
venom21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50 Tesla MYP Prev: 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
where in Canada are you located?
I tried setting a couple of different provinces on the Bmw Canada site and Freight and PDI is supposed to be 2,095$ for the ones I checked.

I would start by politely point out that the number is incorrect. If they insist on the higher number, call BMW Canada directly and ask if a dealer is allowed to charge more than the advertised cost for freight and PDI. I don't think they are, but who knows.
Alberta, they can absolutely charge what they want and have been doing so during the pandemic at all 4 provincial dealers since 2020. BMW won't allow them to markup on MSRP so they are gouging on fees. $3995 Freight/PDI, $595 admin fee, $595 anti-theft fee. Only dealer with a build slot basically said take it or go pound sand since all allocations are filled and the main Calgary dealership said it has a 2-year waiting list "Allegedly". There are probably build slots in GTA/B.C/Quebec available, but that would be a real logistics hassle and a dealer buddy of mine said you would have to convince them you aren't going to export the car.

Last edited by venom21; 02-10-2022 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2446.50
      02-10-2022, 06:32 PM   #12
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom21 View Post
Alberta, they can absolutely charge what they want and have been doing so during the pandemic at all 4 provincial dealers since 2020. BMW won't allow them to markup on MSRP so they are gouging on fees. $3995 Freight/PDI, $595 admin fee, $595 anti-theft fee. Only dealer with a build slot basically said take it or go pound sand since all allocations are filled and the main Calgary dealership said it has a 2-year waiting list "Allegedly". There are probably build slots in GTA/B.C/Quebec available, but that would be a real logistics hassle and a dealer buddy of mine said you would have to convince them you aren't going to export the car.
This is where your relationship with the dealer is important. Paying full MSRP gives them a lot of money already. I can accept that they have more negotiating power in a situation where supply is limited. I am ok with MSRP although I would of course prefer to pay under MSRP as before. But overcharging for fees is in my eye the same thing as charging over MSRP and if BMW Canada was not ok with them charging over MSRP, I don't see why they would accept that their dealers markup the fees, especially since they are listed on the website. Also, they should never be allowed to force you to take an anti-theft device you don't want. If they already had the car and it was already installed on it, different story, but you are ordering a new car that has not made it to them yet and does not have it yet. You should be the one deciding if you want it or not.

I feel I have a good enough relationship with my dealer to discuss these things very frankly with them. I get that they want to make money, but the reality is they do even when they offer good discounts, let alone at full MSRP. If they insist that their extra charge on the fees is ok, I would call the head office to complain and explain that I view this as the same as them charging more than MSRP which they are not ok with and will file an official complaint against the dealer and company for not honoring their online prices if they don't intervene. It may get me nothing in the end but that's still what I would do. And if all their dealers do the same, I would simply take my business elsewhere. I know that is not always an option and for some; I get that just paying the extra money is a better solution sometimes and I get that some people just want to get the car they want and not have to settle for a different brand.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:04 PM   #13
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
Not surprising. Dealership greed never ceases to amaze. But of course, that's also the nature of the business. In some markets, dealerships would be foolish not to mark up a product in such high demand.

l feel fortunate to be working with a dealership whose policy is to never sell above msrp regardless of demand, and they put it in writing, which is why I've been a repeat customer of theirs since I bought my first bmw from them in 2004.
That is my attitude. When I purchased my cars, I didn't bargain hard and extract the last dollar...to me a good bargain is a win for both sides.

But the flip side of that is I expect my dealership to exercise the same restraint now in a world where products are in short supply. I would be suprised if my dealership tried to go above MSRP (and I certainly would walk if it did).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 10:55 AM   #14
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:

That is my attitude. When I purchased my cars, I didn't bargain hard and extract the last dollar...to me a good bargain is a win for both sides.

But the flip side of that is I expect my dealership to exercise the same restraint now in a world where products are in short supply. I would be suprised if my dealership tried to go above MSRP (and I certainly would walk if it did).
My dealer in Ontario is quoting MSRP and normal shipping. No discount from MSRP, though, and no loyalty discounts. My estimated build date is May unless production increases. My dealer's first month quota was only 2 cars and I'm seventh in the queue.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 11:00 AM   #15
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Start posting names. If people stop visiting these dealers, they'll adjust their pricing strategy.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 11:29 AM   #16
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

That is a great policy. You should identify the dealer for us.
Appreciate 0