Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

12-25-2021, 07:19 AM   #1
chris_1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Anyone else experiencing issues using the MyBMW App pre-heating/cooling and other remote functions?
Seems to work fine with the i3s … always failing with both i8's.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 04:05 AM   #2
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

Preheat scheduling seems to work fine on mine (in UK), but the lock/unlock always takes too long to transmit so not worth using via app.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 07:38 AM   #3
chris_1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Seems the remote function(s) sent from the App do not reach the car successfully if the car has NOT been used for a week. I'm able to awake the car by connecting the wallbox. Then remote functions work again … after a week … same issue again.
Not sure if this is 'by design'.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 03:42 PM   #4
2muchI8
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW I8, Allroad, CLK430, 190SL

I am trying to just register my car to the app; since connect drive is disable due to the 3G issue on my 2015, I can't get the security code the app sends. BMW help lines are useless on this. Anyone know a work around?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 08:35 AM   #5
MGRMLN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GT-R Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchI8 View Post
I am trying to just register my car to the app; since connect drive is disable due to the 3G issue on my 2015, I can't get the security code the app sends. BMW help lines are useless on this. Anyone know a work around?
The networks will be sunsetting support of 3G soon.
Here is the email I received from BMW:

The decision to phase out 3G network technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW.

As a result of the sunset of 3G service by wireless carrier partners, by February 2022 your vehicle will no longer be able to receive any ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services, such as BMW Assist eCall, Advanced Real‑Time Traffic Information, Remote Services and BMW Online, depending on your BMW model.

Unfortunately, for your vehicle, there is not a technology upgrade available that would allow you to continue to use ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services after the expiration of your contract, or February 2022, whichever occurs first.

For more details, please refer to the 3G Cellular Technology Discontinuation Frequently Asked Questions or contact BMW Customer Relations at 855‑236‑1025.

BMW ConnectedDrive
Appreciate 0