Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing

09-27-2009, 02:38 AM   #23
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
So people are passionate about a company that plays a big role in their life. If I'm not mistaken it's no different than you joining a BMW community forum. You can say computers are just computers, but then cars are just cars as well. And you can take it even further when you look at sports fanatics...which can be considered even worse. When did a sports team benefit your life in any way besides provide a few hours of entertainment? Fanboyism exists everywhere and with everything. Just because you aren't passionate about your computers, no need to hate on those who are.
i didnt read this post before my previous post and i was thinking the same, some people think if ur car gets you "from point A to point B" thats all that matters, we sit here and talk about our bimmers, so why not talk about your MAC, or favorite collegiate sports team, or favorite beer, etc...
      09-27-2009, 02:44 AM   #24
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Lots of PC experience here. But also have an MBP as a secondary laptop.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 02:53 AM   #25
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Whats worse, making a post to talk about the OS you enjoy using on a daily basis. Or making a post, making fun of the post, about the OS you enjoy using on a daily basis.

Sorry this thread fails. If it was serious then ok, but come on. This is a car forum where we sit around talking about cars all day! Like everybody else said, cars, computers, sports, its all the same.

You do what you enjoy. Whats with the hate? Making this thread is like me making a thread saying that all m3 owners are douchebags.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 04:20 AM   #26
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Iam a PC.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #27
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Whats worse, making a post to talk about the OS you enjoy using on a daily basis. Or making a post, making fun of the post, about the OS you enjoy using on a daily basis.
yea, so, i have a mac, i use it every day, but it's nothing special. it's a computer. it's not improved my life and made me some special person with super powers that has been placed in a social echelon above another person just because i have a certain computer. that's how every mac discussion starts and ends....first it's like 'yea i have one, it's great!' then it turns into 'omgxorz i have mac and it's the best thing in the world and everyone that doesn't have one is a blithering idiot!!! i kick ass and i love smelling my own farts!!!!! '.

Quote:
Sorry this thread fails.
speaking of failed threads, you seemed to go away for an extended period of time just to return and start flooding OT with mindlessly inane threads. hmm...you, sir (or ma'am, i'm particularly unsure), are a fail.

Quote:
Like everybody else said, cars, computers, sports, its all the same.
they're not. my car doesn't elevate me to a social status above anyone else. apple computers seem to have that effect on nearly everyone that touches them, with the exception of a small minority. but then again, those are also the same people that think they're better than everyone because they drive a bmw. sports fanaticism is something completely different and doesn't really have any relevance to the current topic of conversation.

Quote:
You do what you enjoy.
i do

Quote:
Whats with the hate?
what's with the smugness?

Quote:
Making this thread is like me making a thread saying that all m3 owners are douchebags.
they are
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #28
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
lol. Whats with the insults blake? I call a thread fail, and you call me a failure. Thats a little harsh.

And how is the discussions on the mac or pc any different from all the fanboy car talk around here.

And I dont see where I was being smug?!?! Please point that out. I even commented that I wished mac made a better gaming solution so I didnt have to have a separate gaming computer.

Mac owners might be arrogant but all you guys in this pc thread are nuts. Bye.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #29
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I just don't like Mac OS. No task bar (pain in the @$$ to switch windows) first comes to mind. Everything is in a tiny window rather than full screen. Mouse acceleration feels awkward, moving the mouse slowly doesn't feel right on a Mac to me. Programs (although using the same hardware as PC's now) seem to take longer to start on Mac's with similar or better hardware.

Now for what I do like about Macs: Bootcamp, you can load Windows on your Macintrash. I guess they're free from any kind of viruses.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #30
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
I just don't like Mac OS. No task bar (pain in the @$$ to switch windows) first comes to mind. Everything is in a tiny window rather than full screen. Mouse acceleration feels awkward, moving the mouse slowly doesn't feel right on a Mac to me. Programs (although using the same hardware as PC's now) seem to take longer to start on Mac's with similar or better hardware.

Now for what I do like about Macs: Bootcamp, you can load Windows on your Macintrash. I guess they're free from any kind of viruses.
You think its tough to switch between windows!?!? Have you tried expose? You just move the mouse into a corner and all the windows line up. Or you can assign one of the mouse buttons to the app switcher, which displays all the open windows for you to choose from.

Of all the stuff ive heard about macs, ive never heard that they had a bad window switcher. I have many different ways to switch on a mac, where as windows im forced to go to the task bar.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #31
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

Do you really put your apps full screen these days? Unless you are still using a 15" CRT monitor. That's one of the big problems with Windows IMO. It doesn't scale well to larger sized monitors. Larger display generally means the ability to multitask and view docs from different applications side by side.

You can control mouse settings in the prefs and if you are using a 3rd party mouse like a microsoft or logitech, they have 3rd party drivers that allow you to customize them just as you would on a PC.

There are a bunch of ways to switch windows on the mac. There's command-tab, expose, and just focusing on the document that you can see on your large display because there's no need to view (most) apps full screen.

As far as application startup speeds, there are way too many variables to compare them directly. For now I'll just say that's complete BS.

Anything new takes time to learn. It took me about 9 months before I felt as comfortable on the mac as I did in windows. And for the record, I didn't like all the differences at first either. Nobody likes change. I bet if you used a mac for 9 months (full time, not once in awhile), and actually took the time to learn how things work, you'd probably never look back. The only reason I run windows is to occasionally play a few games.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #32
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Do you really put your apps full screen these days? Unless you are still using a 15" CRT monitor. That's one of the big problems with Windows IMO. It doesn't scale well to larger sized monitors. Larger display generally means the ability to multitask and view docs from different applications side by side.
What? I use full screen on almost everything (24" / 26" monitors) and have never seen any problem with windows maximising a window in a large resolution. Perhaps if your just doing it for the first time on a new monitor with an incorrect resolution setting... maybe you might experience anything remotely similar to this. But otherwise, this has never been a problem since you can jut hold ctrl and mouse scroll to resize windows. Once you set it up once, your pretty much good to go.

As for the topic, I'm with Blake. Apple just seems to embody the "do-it-all-for-me" personality that America is hated for. And they do it without allowing you customization (perhaps not on their computers, but everything else they sell is locked down)
      09-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #33
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
If you think a MAC is better bc of malware and spyware your a fucking idiot, if u have half a brain and go to google and type "best anti-virus" and do a little search...you will never get any kind of malicious items even if you try to on purpose...people are too dumb, cheap, and lazy to. ive sold computers for awile since im only in college and i deal with retards everyday...

p.s. im running kaspersky and never can get a malicious item to pop up on malwarebytes, EVER
Don't be too smug about that . . . . I've run Kaspersky for the last 18 months, from a clean install and with autoupdate enabled, and just a month or so ago I got hit with that stupid 'wisdstr.exe' antivirus malware. I grabbed malwarebytes to fix it, and it found a couple others as well that hadn't caused any issues.

Don't get me wrong, not slamming Kaspersky as I think it's the best out there right now - but shit happens
      09-28-2009, 11:04 AM   #34
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:

You can control mouse settings in the prefs and if you are using a 3rd party mouse like a microsoft or logitech, they have 3rd party drivers that allow you to customize them just as you would on a PC.

There are a bunch of ways to switch windows on the mac. There's command-tab, expose, and just focusing on the document that you can see on your large display because there's no need to view (most) apps full screen.

As far as application startup speeds, there are way too many variables to compare them directly. For now I'll just say that's complete BS.

Anything new takes time to learn. It took me about 9 months before I felt as comfortable on the mac as I did in windows. And for the record, I didn't like all the differences at first either. Nobody likes change. I bet if you used a mac for 9 months (full time, not once in awhile), and actually took the time to learn how things work, you'd probably never look back. The only reason I run windows is to occasionally play a few games.
30" and 22" screens here and no issues with scaling in Win7. Yes this was not perfect in XP...but you don't see me calling out Macs on OS 7?

Application startup feels faster in Windows, but I think that is just the effects of OS X/Windows playing mind games.

Quote:
You should name some of them. Aside from things that specifically require Microsoft technology (activex, certain windows media files, etc), I find that there isn't much left that can't be done on any OS these days.
Sure: Work on a 3d Studio Max project, use my new Zune HD, use Paint.Net, fudge around with the dev beta release of CUDA, transfer a file to an NTFS partition (the utility most people use doesn't work on SL), burn an Xbox 360 OS development image (.dvd with proper layer breaks...no luck with Disk Utility or Roxio), access and download file from MSDN, try to help someone in AutoCAD, and finally finish a project that used Visual Studio Team Foundation (I've used XCode when I was contracted with Apple...it'd good...just not Visual Studio good).

Seeing as I work very actively with Microsoft, I need my PC. Anyways, while I am annoyed personally against any fanboys, I don't care if people love+buy Macs. It is their money and if they want to spend a bit more to feel special and get a nicer looking OS/hardware...feel free, that's why I got my MBP, Macbook Air, and Mac Mini. But if you spend an hour or two at the Genius Bar at your local Apple store, you will find out that Apple's aren't immune either. (I had my uMBP replaced within 8 days for a faulty superdrive)

EDIT: Oh and normally most of these other tasks were possible to be handled using my VMware Fusion, but since SL it tells me that with 64bit kernel it cannot start...also, I admit that some of the other unlisted issues (beyond gaming and hardware affordability) occur only because of my comfort with Windows.

Last edited by vgame64; 09-28-2009 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #35
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post
30" and 22" screens here and no issues with scaling in Win7. Yes this was not perfect in XP...but you don't see me calling out Macs on OS 7?
Not scaling issues. Scenario: You have a 30" display running at 2560x1600 resolution and are working on a word document. What happens when you hit the maximize button? That's the problem with windows I'm talking about. One the mac, hitting the maximize button maximizes the document to its full size, not full screen.

And I hate how there's a window that surrounds the documents that are part of a given application. I think that's another windows flaw that wasn't an issue in the 90's, but is an annoyance in the days of large displays and multi-tasking.

Quote:
Application startup feels faster in Windows, but I think that is just the effects of OS X/Windows playing mind games.

Sure: Work on a 3d Studio Max project, use my new Zune HD, use Paint.Net, fudge around with the dev beta release of CUDA, transfer a file to an NTFS partition (the utility most people use doesn't work on SL), burn an Xbox 360 OS development image (.dvd with proper layer breaks...no luck with Disk Utility or Roxio), access and download file from MSDN, try to help someone in AutoCAD, and finally finish a project that used Visual Studio Team Foundation (I've used XCode when I was contracted with Apple...it'd good...just not Visual Studio good).

Seeing as I work very actively with Microsoft, I need my PC. Anyways, while I am annoyed personally against any fanboys, I don't care if people love+buy Macs. It is their money and if they want to spend a bit more to feel special and get a nicer looking OS/hardware...feel free, that's why I got my MBP, Macbook Air, and Mac Mini. But if you spend an hour or two at the Genius Bar at your local Apple store, you will find out that Apple's aren't immune either. (I had my uMBP replaced within 8 days for a faulty superdrive)

EDIT: Oh and normally most of these other tasks were possible to be handled using my VMware Fusion, but since SL it tells me that with 64bit kernel it cannot start...also, I admit that some of the other unlisted issues (beyond gaming and hardware affordability) occur only because of my comfort with Windows.
You use a lot of microsoft technology, so it's not surprising. That's like saying I can't use windows because I develop iPhone software (which my company does). And yes, Windows is the way to go for 3d modeling/rendering at the moment. There are quite a few packages available on the Mac, but not quite as many as on Windows.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #36
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post

As for the topic, I'm with Blake. Apple just seems to embody the "do-it-all-for-me" personality that America is hated for. And they do it without allowing you customization (perhaps not on their computers, but everything else they sell is locked down)
Once you know Mac OS well, you'll see it the other way around (at least as far as software is concerned). Mac OS is unix-based and allows for so much more customization. Once I installed KDE right on top of OSX and I had 2 different GUI's running at the same time. Pointless, but very cool that it could be done.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #37
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taliesen View Post
Don't be too smug about that . . . . I've run Kaspersky for the last 18 months, from a clean install and with autoupdate enabled, and just a month or so ago I got hit with that stupid 'wisdstr.exe' antivirus malware. I grabbed malwarebytes to fix it, and it found a couple others as well that hadn't caused any issues.

Don't get me wrong, not slamming Kaspersky as I think it's the best out there right now - but shit happens
A nice cocktail should be best, i think.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #38
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Not scaling issues. Scenario: You have a 30" display running at 2560x1600 resolution and are working on a word document. What happens when you hit the maximize button? That's the problem with windows I'm talking about. One the mac, hitting the maximize button maximizes the document to its full size, not full screen.

And I hate how there's a window that surrounds the documents that are part of a given application. I think that's another windows flaw that wasn't an issue in the 90's, but is an annoyance in the days of large displays and multi-tasking.

You use a lot of microsoft technology, so it's not surprising. That's like saying I can't use windows because I develop iPhone software (which my company does). And yes, Windows is the way to go for 3d modeling/rendering at the moment. There are quite a few packages available on the Mac, but not quite as many as on Windows.
Yeah I see your point with the scaling, though Office 2010 Technical Beta changes the zoom to show 2 pages for me.

And yeah, I agree with you on that I use a lot of MSFT technology, and yep the iPhone dev analogy is spot on. (my first iPhone app will hopefully be ready in a few weeks ...secret as to its purpose)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #39
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Lifetime PC owner here and only bought a Macbook 2 weeks ago. In its defence, it really is incredibly easy to use and very well built. Its sole purpose will be to take notes in class and i think it will do the job well.

It probably isnt as sophisticated but i was expecting that as our kitchen computer is from apple.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0