Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

08-29-2022, 05:47 PM   #1
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

BMW i4 Review Series by Sandy Munro

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I watched parts of the undercarriage review and interior review, the reviewers sound really knowledgeable. I plan to finish all of these clips.

Appreciate 2
overcoil3073.50
2srsman68.00
      08-29-2022, 11:17 PM   #2
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

@20:00 of the first impression video, the space below the hood looks messy.

This reminds me how messy the B58 cooling hoses/radiators/heat exchangers look like in F30 when compared to G20, so I guess there are merits to design from scratch vs. jamming into existing platforms.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 11:52 PM   #3
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

@13:50 of the i4 M50 vs. E90 M3 video(2nd video of post#1), the reviewer mentions that the longitudinal speed of the car is great(3.5 seconds!), but the lateral dynamics is not good due to its 5000lb, plus 48%/52%(resulting in excessive front lift and lots of understeers).

This reminds of my i4 eDrive 40 test drive, I thought the car was head light, and was a bit unsettled. Now I realize that eDrive 40 is 45%/55% front and rear!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 11:54 PM   #4
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Wow, I just noticed the "Featured on bimmerpost.com" heading, that is a first, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 07:54 AM   #5
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Wow, I just noticed the "Featured on bimmerpost.com" heading, that is a first, thanks!
I am not a fan of these videos. Anyone that claims that the dash on a Tesla Model 3 has a better build quality than an i4 dash does not have much creditability for me. Plus what is the point of having a 300 pound fat guy stuff himself into the backseat of a four door gran coupe and complain about the size of the back seat? Maybe he should not eat so much for decades and he would fit better. Or why not use an average size person to demonstrate the size of the back seat area? Regardless no one buys a BMW i4 BEV to haul around fat people in the back seat.
Appreciate 7
      08-30-2022, 09:34 AM   #6
gdotp
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D Sport E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Quote:
I am not a fan of these videos. Anyone that claims that the dash on a Tesla Model 3 has a better build quality than an i4 dash does not have much creditability for me. Plus what is the point of having a 300 pound fat guy stuff himself into the backseat of a four door gran coupe and complain about the size of the back seat? Maybe he should not eat so much for decades and he would fit better. Or why not use an average size person to demonstrate the size of the back seat area? Regardless no one buys a BMW i4 BEV to haul around fat people in the back seat.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not that impressed either. They don't really seem that well informed and the production quality is pretty poor. They always point out the same things in each video.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 10:48 AM   #7
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am not a fan of these videos. Anyone that claims that the dash on a Tesla Model 3 has a better build quality than an i4 dash does not have much creditability for me.
I don't remember catching that comment(claiming M3 dash is better built than i4) from the videos, do u recall a timestamp in the video(s) when they mentioned that? I want to understand the context of that comment.

Yeah i4's backseats are cramped, I don't have much use personally, but I do at times squeeze in 3 adults in the back.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 10:48 AM   #8
asrgt
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Knowledgeable yes however Munro videos can be summed up as if its not a tesla it will be shit canned.

The applauded battery packs that cannot be serviced and then complain when one is designed to allow for modules to be replaced claiming its pointless complexity.

They did an under carriage review on the IX and the best compliant they could make was its all very expensive !

And yes Carl who does the interior reviews will claim a model 3 and a Model S interior are high quality but will not mention the fact that half the trim does not even fit correctly but will then complain that the corners of the i4s door cards are rounded because its padded ... ok.. basically there content devolved into Tesla evangelism at its finest. There comments like id expect leather for this price point are also alarming to how ignorant there view is, leather is an option if you want it ... but lets not forget it was ok for the model S at a far higher price point to have plastic seats but not for anyone else ... just utter dribble that Munro is known for these days.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
      08-30-2022, 10:49 AM   #9
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Yikes I just notice that this is a press car, so Munro is not tearing down this i4 M50.

I am looking fwd to the tear down and find out where those 5000lbs go.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 10:56 AM   #10
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrgt View Post
And yes Carl who does the interior reviews will claim a model 3 and a Model S interior are high quality but will not mention the fact that half the trim does not even fit correctly but will then complain that the corners of the i4s door cards are rounded because its padded ... ok..
I watched that part and the reviewer did point out the BMW design has much better quality control than similar door panels in Rivian and others with no padding and no break in the middle.

I do like the rounded padded door cards on my bimmers, as I do bump into them on and off.

You are correct that Munro does lean towards Tesla, it is just that these videos have different opinions that are not seen in other reviews.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 12:57 PM   #11
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Yikes I just notice that this is a press car, so Munro is not tearing down this i4 M50.

I am looking fwd to the tear down and find out where those 5000lbs go.
1200lbs of battery.
The rest is an i4 GC you know with electric motors.
      08-30-2022, 01:01 PM   #12
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

I stopped watching Munro's videos when he became a super Tesla homer. I own one but call out sycophants where I see them...and he certainly became one. Even owned Tesla stock at one point.

It's too bad, because there is info here that you simply don't get anywhere else, but he's got such strong opinions that it makes it tough to swallow
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
      08-30-2022, 03:30 PM   #13
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I stopped watching Munro's videos when he became a super Tesla homer. I own one but call out sycophants where I see them...and he certainly became one. Even owned Tesla stock at one point.

It's too bad, because there is info here that you simply don't get anywhere else, but he's got such strong opinions that it makes it tough to swallow
These three reviews are absolutely worthless and are probably the three worst car review videos that I ever seen on YouTube. They are very amateurish and reflect poorly on Sandy Munro. His standards have hit a new low point. It is also baffling that they would displayed so prominently on this web site.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 04:14 PM   #14
BMW007CA
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Almost everything the reviewer stated in the 2nd video is spot on! Anyone who pays in excess of $70,000+ for a 4 series gran coupe converted into electric is a FOOL.

All the comments below are of people who are butthurt and expect only raving reviews about the i4.

I applaud the reviewer for presenting an honest and balanced review of this vehicle.

$70,000+ folks for a converted 4 series! I'm sure your saving so much $$ with that price tag.

Keep up the hype!

Last edited by BMW007CA; 08-30-2022 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 05:22 PM   #15
Louis_BE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW007CA View Post
Almost everything the reviewer stated in the 2nd video is spot on! Anyone who pays in excess of $70,000+ for a 4 series gran coupe converted into electric is a FOOL.

All the comments below are of people who are butthurt and expect only raving reviews about the i4.

I applaud the reviewer for presenting an honest and balanced review of this vehicle.

$70,000+ folks for a converted 4 series! I'm sure your saving so much $$ with that price tag.

Keep up the hype!

Funny remark, they showed that a converted ICE car can be as efficient as platforms build from the ground up …

But moreover, the driving pleasure shines in every review, who cares about the detailed analyzes, the only thing that matters is driving dynamics and efficiency.
I for one could not stand my Model X 2020 and sold it after 9 month’s for a Beamer, every time I get into it and drive, it puts a smile on my face (and it’s cheaper as well). Initially I was happy with the Tesla, but than the little and not so little things started to annoy me, no real 360 camera, phantom braking on AP, no cross traffic warning when reversing out of driveway, the little interieur noises, the drive shaft replacement, the mis aligned doors that damaged paint, the wind/road noise, the squeaks of the rubber joints, mirrors not folding out at minus 5 Celsius, no CarPlay …
The only thing Tesla has is the better road trip planner and the SC network, but now that SC network is open in most of Europe, that made me decide to go BMW … So do 3 other Tesla friends, one went etron, other one Porsche and another one also BMW …
Look Tesla will be fine, a rising tide will lift al boats
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 06:12 PM   #16
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Keep up the hype!

First it's not a converted anything.
The CLAR.platform was designed to handle ICE, BEV and hybrid.

Second most people slamming the $70k for an i4 probably can't afford to buy it and are just haters.

I would say that anyone that spends $55-65k on a TM3 is an idiot. Poor build quality. Poor suspension. Crappy interiors from a car that cost like premium but my Chevy Bolt is an overall better package.

It doesn't have proper switches, knobs or even gauge cluster because they cost cut so much.

Won't even get into the limited color and interior options. Remind me of Henry Ford "you can have any color as long as it's black".

Oh but wait, it's fast is a straight line. SMFH!

Tesla FSD that never will be. Keep up the hype!
      08-30-2022, 07:26 PM   #17
mtech8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 19' X5 50i

Quote:
Uhm.. what does that make a person who pays excess of $70,000+ for a Tesla MP3 that has worse build quality and less luxury?
Appreciate 1
techwhiz11856.00
      08-30-2022, 08:48 PM   #18
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtech8 View Post
Uhm.. what does that make a person who pays excess of $70,000+ for a Tesla MP3 that has worse build quality and less luxury?
"A fool and his money are soon parted."
      08-31-2022, 12:21 AM   #19
BMW007CA
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis_BE View Post
Funny remark, they showed that a converted ICE car can be as efficient as platforms build from the ground up …

But moreover, the driving pleasure shines in every review, who cares about the detailed analyzes, the only thing that matters is driving dynamics and efficiency.
I for one could not stand my Model X 2020 and sold it after 9 month’s for a Beamer, every time I get into it and drive, it puts a smile on my face (and it’s cheaper as well). Initially I was happy with the Tesla, but than the little and not so little things started to annoy me, no real 360 camera, phantom braking on AP, no cross traffic warning when reversing out of driveway, the little interieur noises, the drive shaft replacement, the mis aligned doors that damaged paint, the wind/road noise, the squeaks of the rubber joints, mirrors not folding out at minus 5 Celsius, no CarPlay …
The only thing Tesla has is the better road trip planner and the SC network, but now that SC network is open in most of Europe, that made me decide to go BMW … So do 3 other Tesla friends, one went etron, other one Porsche and another one also BMW …
Look Tesla will be fine, a rising tide will lift al boats
I do not like nor am I defending Tesla here, just to be clear.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 01:38 AM   #20
Antiseptic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
First it's not a converted anything.

Second most people slamming the $70k for an i4 probably can't afford to buy it and are just haters.

I would say that anyone that spends $55-65k on a TM3 is an idiot. Poor build quality. Poor suspension. Crappy interiors from a car that cost like premium but my Chevy Bolt is an overall better package.

It doesn't have proper switches, knobs or even gauge cluster because they cost cut so much.

Won't even get into the limited color and interior options. Remind me of Henry Ford "you can have any color as long as it's black".

Oh but wait, it's fast is a straight line. SMFH!

Tesla FSD that never will be. Keep up the hype!
Pretty well sums it up.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 02:50 AM   #21
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
I just watched a Rivian undercarriage video from Munro Live, and that chassis and suspension (being a truck) look a lot simpler than i4.

The i4 undercarriage video is quite interesting, the reviewer goes through many chassis and suspension components that he speculates help with diverting force from the battery, and there are structures that likely improve NVH and stiffness of the chassis.

I am no expert in chassis and suspension and interior design, but I do appreciate extra insights from insiders that none of i4 and G2*(being same CLAR and same soft touch/trim stitches/etc,etc) review videos provide.

I do feel that the i4 ADAS video is lackluster compared to your ADAS posts.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 04:16 AM   #22
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
These three reviews are absolutely worthless and are probably the three worst car review videos that I ever seen on YouTube. They are very amateurish and reflect poorly on Sandy Munro. His standards have hit a new low point. It is also baffling that they would displayed so prominently on this web site.
The interior reviews are the absolute worst. Did he just point to the perforated part of the Sensa-Tec seat and surmise that it was leather? Then he was wondering if the carbon fiber was actually authentic CF?? Yet he nit pics how a door panel is layered, which no one actually cares about? The guy has no credibility at this point. Then he bemoans how the rear seat panels are black. I for one prefer the black carpet, and dark seat panels on lighter interiors so you don't have to deal with shoe marks on those surfaces. A fact that he conveniently doesn't discuss.
Kind of like his ix interior analysis. (see video below) He criticizes the crystal control and "suede" dash and seat covering. Yet, BMW gives you choices. If you want to change the whole interior ambiance, get the red leather option. He complains about the trim in the headrest, but conveniently forgets to mention the headrest speakers in the spectacular B&W sound system. Nor does he mention available infra-red panel heating or the electrochromatic sunroof. Its baffling how he criticizes the ix for using a high quality heavy hatch sunshade panel instead of a cheap sunshade liner without mentioning that this is possibly one of the factors that makes the ix one of the quietest vehicles in its class. Guy obviously does not do his homework. It is obvious with his negative BMW demeanor, and Tesla cheer leading.

2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)
Appreciate 2
techwhiz11856.00
gdotp7.50