Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

09-06-2022, 04:57 PM   #1
gs6456
Electric!
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 i4 M50  [9.00]
Dallas to Austin

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
We just completed our Labor Day Weekend trip from Dallas to Austin. This was our first attempt at taking the M50 for any considerable distance. It was surprisingly easy.

I charged to 100% the night before and the car showed 266 miles of range.

By the time we got to the Electrify America station outside of Waco we had 56%. Three of the six stalls were down, but only two of them were occupied, so we plugged in to the 350KW charger and went into the Walmart. When we came back 30 minutes later we were at 95%.

In addition to seeing a Rivian, iX50, and various other EVs, we also had a Ford Lighting park next to us and try to use the same charger we were using. This is how we discovered that only one of the two cables on each charger can be used at a time. Major design flaw.

Almost all of us were noobs so it was funny to see all of us with our confused faces trying to figure everything out. It was actually pretty simple. Just plug in, and tap your phone on the NFC section of the charger. My biggest gripe was the lag between my inputs and the screen responding.

By the time we got to Austin we had close to 50%. We did a little driving while we there, but never charged again until the day we left. We found another Electrify America station in Roundrock on the outskirts of Austin and plugged in for another 30 minute session at a 350KW charger. We went from 29% to 89%. This station was at an outlet mall so we went in and looked around. Again, it was painless. We did end up charging for 32 minutes and discovered that the session doesn't automatically end at 30 minutes. Once the 30 minutes is up you start racking up a bill. The 2 extra minutes added up to $0.99.

We had enough range to get back to Dallas, but because the traffic was heavy and we were ready to get out of the car we stopped at the same station in Waco as on the way down. This time, we weren't so lucky. 3 of the 6 chargers were still down, and the other 3 were occupied. Having said that, we didn't have to wait long before someone left and we were charging again. We didn't take the whole 30 minutes as we didn't really need the maximum charge. We charged from 57% to 75% and headed home.

Very uneventful in all the best ways. We charged a total of 96kWh for a cost of $0.99.

Also, if you're ever in Austin, check out Valentina's. Definitely worth it.
Appreciate 4
Raille55.50
Kenny C147.50
AJFord115.50
EdM53854.50
      09-06-2022, 08:40 PM   #2
WER2XU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cars & Bikes

Will be in Austin for the GP...what is Valentina's?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 06:30 AM   #3
Raille
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 (hopefully this year)

Valentina's is kind of a Tex-Mex BBQ, they're growing from a food truck to a restaurant and it's pretty good stuff. Especially if you don't want to wait in line at Franklin's .

I'm glad you did the Dallas/Austin trek. I don't have my car yet, but was hoping it'd be made in time for me to try that out when my annual work trip to Dallas comes up. Glad to know it'll be viable and I just might get stuck in Waco for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #4
gs6456
Electric!
Rep

Garage List
2022 i4 M50  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raille View Post
Valentina's is kind of a Tex-Mex BBQ, they're growing from a food truck to a restaurant and it's pretty good stuff. Especially if you don't want to wait in line at Franklin's .

I'm glad you did the Dallas/Austin trek. I don't have my car yet, but was hoping it'd be made in time for me to try that out when my annual work trip to Dallas comes up. Glad to know it'll be viable and I just might get stuck in Waco for a bit.
I'm pretty sure we could have made it without the stop in Waco starting with 100% charge. Our main reason we stopped was so we didn't get to Austin with almost no range left and have to plug in immediately.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 05:00 PM   #5
taminatorv
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW i4 eDrive40

I drove out to Austin last year for the F1 race from California in our Audi e-tron. Most of the EA stations were broken in Texas, but I always managed to find a working station. I charged a couple of times in Round Rock when our hotel's chargers were all in use.

Central Texas BBQ is incredible!!! Brisket and those Dino Ribs....Ooooooh!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 05:53 AM   #6
voxel
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 eDrive40, Ford MachE

Valentina's is awesome. Thought it was a hidden gem.

As for EA chargers... a year ago you'd see a few broken chargers here and there (usually none) with mostly ID.4s, Taycans, e-trons, and Bolts but EA has degraded so badly in the past year you need a plan B and C.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 09:38 AM   #7
note46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe, 328d SW, i4

With EA stations, when you are parked at a specific charger, use the app to start the charging. Then step out and connect the cable to the car. Next hold up the handle until you hear the charger click. This usually shaves 20-30seconds from the initial hand shaking time.

Also if the stations read Unavailable, call EA, they are fast to pick up. Ask them to reset the stations, they can do this remotely and for me takes less than 5minutes before the stations become available.
Appreciate 2
Raille55.50
      09-08-2022, 10:47 AM   #8
voxel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by note46 View Post
With EA stations, when you are parked at a specific charger, use the app to start the charging. Then step out and connect the cable to the car. Next hold up the handle until you hear the charger click. This usually shaves 20-30seconds from the initial hand shaking time.

Also if the stations read Unavailable, call EA, they are fast to pick up. Ask them to reset the stations, they can do this remotely and for me takes less than 5minutes before the stations become available.
Unless EA stations shutdown due to overheating which is happening in Florida. A Taycan owner told me she charges in the morning and if she comes back in the afternoon the chargers are often shutdown (screen blank, etc)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 02:11 PM   #9
note46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe, 328d SW, i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Unless EA stations shutdown due to overheating which is happening in Florida. A Taycan owner told me she charges in the morning and if she comes back in the afternoon the chargers are often shutdown (screen blank, etc)
Yes blank screen is different, which is why I said if the station show unavailable.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 02:47 PM   #10
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs6456 View Post
In addition to seeing a Rivian, iX50, and various other EVs, we also had a Ford Lighting park next to us and try to use the same charger we were using. This is how we discovered that only one of the two cables on each charger can be used at a time. Major design flaw.
I see a lot of people try this... Some going out of their way to park awkwardly in a non-ev spot next to one of the chargers to get the cable to reach assuming it would work. I'm wondering if it could be fixed with a software update down the road. I have seen EVgo chargers where both ports could be used at the same time, so likely why people are making the assumptions EA would.
      09-08-2022, 04:51 PM   #11
voxel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by note46 View Post
Yes blank screen is different, which is why I said if the station show unavailable.
Can EA boot up a machine that has shut off (blank screen and unavailable)? Do they need a technician to physically reboot the charger?
Appreciate 0