Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

08-31-2022, 05:12 AM   #23
Louis_BE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW007CA View Post
I do not like nor am I defending Tesla here, just to be clear.
I was just sharing my experience, I bought into the Tesla hype, but could not stand it’s many obvious flaws …
So for me the Tesla hype was a costly one to experience and my BMW EV experience exceeded the hype, even on the efficiency side, which I was not expecting.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:50 AM   #24
bonsai
OG 3er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3/2018 F82 M4 Compet

Munro is a hired gun. As an auto manufacturer, whomever pays him the most for consulting will get favorable reviews.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 11:49 AM   #25
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
I just watched a Rivian undercarriage video from Munro Live, and that chassis and suspension (being a truck) look a lot simpler than i4.

The i4 undercarriage video is quite interesting, the reviewer goes through many chassis and suspension components that he speculates help with diverting force from the battery, and there are structures that likely improve NVH and stiffness of the chassis.

I am no expert in chassis and suspension and interior design, but I do appreciate extra insights from insiders that none of i4 and G2*(being same CLAR and same soft touch/trim stitches/etc,etc) review videos provide.

I do feel that the i4 ADAS video is lackluster compared to your ADAS posts.
BMW suspension geometry has always been interesting. Camber and caster on front wheels change with steering angle. Typical BMW front wheels don't just turn, they typically also lean into the turn to provide a better contact patch and slip angle.

ADAS is one of those things that's difficult to review because you only see how it really performs when conditions are non-ideal.

But you can look at the comparison of the parking and see that Tesla came to a gun fight with a pea shooter. Audi, BMW will auto park circles around Tesla.

Anyway most of the industry thinks that the Tesla Vision approach is flawed at it's core. 10 cameras; 2 on each side, 1 in the rear and 3 facing front don't provide full 360 reliable and if one fails the system is faulted. No redundancy absolutely precludes L4 that Musk keeps talking about. But hey, he's a billionaire and I work for a living so he must be smarter. Right? 😂🤣😂🤣
      09-05-2022, 09:32 PM   #26
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
BMW suspension geometry has always been interesting. Camber and caster on front wheels change with steering angle. Typical BMW front wheels don't just turn, they typically also lean into the turn to provide a better contact patch and slip angle.
I am looking forward to some K&C measurements of i4 vs. a 4-series, it would be very informative how the rides and handling differ for the 2 counterparts.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 09:44 PM   #27
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
It's too bad, because there is info here that you simply don't get anywhere else, but he's got such strong opinions that it makes it tough to swallow
I watched a few other non-i4 videos on Munro Live. If feels that they are still focused on selling teardown reports, and the channel is just a new front to advertise their products.

And to me opinions are just opinions. On the other hand, their channel does offer unique details/info that no one else talk about, so that provides value to some(like me).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 08:49 AM   #28
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

I read that Tesla now has gigapress to manufacturer 1-piece rear casting(e.g. Model Y?), and that significantly speeds up production rates.

I want to see Munro and others to provide data showing how much stronger/weaker this type of 1-piece manufacturing than BMW's rear subframe(e.g.), and how repairable is such a structure.

It appears Munro suggests this type of manufacturing processes, it would be good to see real world measurements of the concept.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 10:39 AM   #29
mlanes01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G26 e40, 2021 G05 x40i

The part that kinda got to me in the ADAS video was that he clearly didn't even read the manual, had no idea how it was supposed to work, then complained that it didn't work how he thought it should... don't get me wrong, good software should be intuitive, but you have to at least understand the bmw ecosystem. I mean i'm young, tech savvy etc, but still had to take some time to orient myself with the tesla before i just jumped in. Maybe bmw needs to have a genius session with these people before they do reviews... also laughable that he hates the ID8 dash yet loves the Model 3/Y... not that ID8 is the end all be all, but HUD, cluster behind the wheel etc is a much better setup than Tesla. I do get how the Idrive wheel can be polarizing for non BMW drivers, but it's something I really enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 10:58 AM   #30
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

This is a video of Model Y's rear casting removed, this is one big piece that likely cannot be easily patched.

Having said that, the undercarriage video of post#1 also also i4 rear to be quite complicated.

Maybe modern manufacturing is approaching a stage that cars are built to be consumables even after minor hits. That is all good assuming the prices are low enough, and/or the cars just don't get into accidents.

Appreciate 0