E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Musicar NW?

09-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
OzCoE92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

Musicar NW?

Anyone know what's up with these guys? I've been trying to get a base stereo upgrade for my E92 from them since February, tried to contact through their website and just sent them a PM from here a few days ago with no response. I'm not a DIY guy, so I would need to have this installed which I was fine with, and they told me they were looking for a local installer and would get back to me, but never returned e-mails after that. You would think that if I'm willing to shell out nearly $3000 for a system upgrade it would get someone's attention especially since they don't have to install it themselves. Ken or anyone else at Musicar NW, please respond and let me know either way what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

I'm not sure what to make of them these days.

I'm guessing they're a victim of their own success? Since about the same time as you were, I was trying to get a hold of them for audio equipment as well.

From what I could garner at that time, they had recently moved to a new facility, and Ken had just celebrated the birth of his (first?) child. So with everything going on at the time, they seemed way too busy to respond.

Though, these many months later, it seems it's still difficult to get a hold of them, so I opted for other avenues.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

You can gather the parts yourself just as well. I'm guessing they're busier now with local customers, as they seem very difficult to deal with by phone, PM or email.

In the FS section there is a set of Morels for sale, that would be a good start. Buy as much as you can used, you will save some serious coin.
      09-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Personally, I'd recommend you hit up Technic and buy his 2/4 Stereo Harness for your base audio.

Then talk to Don (6spdcoupe) on the boards here and either
a) Get the Jehnert Flatline kit (comes with tweeters, 4" mids, and the 8" XE200 midbass that so many people on these boards seem to love)

or

b) Your own choice of various other drop in replacement component sets

And get the Helix Match PP82DSP that Don also carries.

There's enough pictures of other people's installations here, that any stereo shop should find it a no-brainer to follow those along and have those components installed and you'd be on your way.

(Reason why I recommend the Helix MatchPP82DSP is because it would take the signal from the 2/4 Harness you'd buy from Technic, and you'd wire direct to it to get a full signal as well as not needing to get a separate remote turn on. Also, for the cost of a good high end amp, it also includes the ability to clean up the signal and do a huge amount of audio tuning in its included DSP abilities)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
OzCoE92
Lieutenant
Rep

Man, that is why this forum rocks! The fast replies are super appreciated, you guys have helped me. I'm actually looking at snaimpally's HAT Legatia Carbon's that he has for sale, but I do have to contact Don as well about the Jehnerts. Does anyone here have the full Jehnert Flatline kit? If so, how does it sound? I'm new to the BMW world, and use to own a W140 CL500 Mercedes that had a serious Bose stereo, granted the BMW won't have nearly as many speakers as my Benz did. I don't miss that car at all, just the amazing stereo it had.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Oh, you wanted a lot of speakers?

Talk to Don and he'll sell you these instead!
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003931
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Those Carbons are great speakers. You could power those with the Helix unit, bridging four of the channels to two. Don't go crazy with too many speakers, simplicity is the key. The most important part is the front speakers. Pair those Carbons with some Morel MT-23's or Piccolos, and run them active. Then get a good sub and amp for the trunk. I recommend an Infinite Baffle set-up, if you don't have fold-down seats. Second best would be a corner loaded enclosure, there is one on sale in the FS section...

Finally, the underseats. I would JUMP on the individual Audio woofer for sale right now (I think in the M3 section). Only 225 with enclosures (which you don't need and can resell for around 80).
      09-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #8
emoon3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Those Carbons are great speakers. You could power those with the Helix unit, bridging four of the channels to two. Don't go crazy with too many speakers, simplicity is the key. The most important part is the front speakers. Pair those Carbons with some Morel MT-23's or Piccolos, and run them active. Then get a good sub and amp for the trunk. I recommend an Infinite Baffle set-up, if you don't have fold-down seats. Second best would be a corner loaded enclosure, there is one on sale in the FS section...

Finally, the underseats. I would JUMP on the individual Audio woofer for sale right now (I think in the M3 section). Only 225 with enclosures (which you don't need and can resell for around 80).
Unfortunately you can't bridge channels on the Helix unit (I asked them directly. It's not possible) but I'm still getting one - hopefully soon!

There have been a few Ultimo SCs for sale on DIYMA recently. There was a real Ultimo 10 there a couple days ago for $240. I was sooo tempted.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #9
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=999834

In this thread mathematics said it can be bridged...
      09-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #10
emoon3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=999834

In this thread mathematics said it can be bridged...
I know. I PMed him and we talked about it a bit. I sent an email to Audiotec Fischer to get clarification.

Quote:
Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to bridge two of the channels of the PP82DSP. I am considering purchasing one, but would like to use four of the channels to power two speakers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Hello Mr. Jacobs,

it is not possible to bridge the channels.

Best regards

Jutta Sommer

AUDIOTEC FISCHER GmbH

Hünegräben 26

D-57392 Schmallenberg
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #11
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the clarification emoon! That's a bit disappointing, in that case I'd recommend using a different DSP and external amps. Arc Audio XDi2 amps look good, I've got a 600.4 on the way to replace my HD600/4
      09-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
emoon3
Private
United_States
Rep

The weird thing is that Helix actually DOES bridge channels on the amp for their custom subwoofer connection. It bridges four channels together for 280 watts. So, technically it must be possible to bridge them, but since they say you can't I don't know if anyone is brave enough to try it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #13
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoon3 View Post
The weird thing is that Helix actually DOES bridge channels on the amp for their custom subwoofer connection. It bridges four channels together. So, technically it must be possible to bridge them, but since they say you can't I don't know if anyone is brave enough to try it.
Dual subs with dual coils or single sub with quad coil. No bridging.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #14
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Mosconi 120.4 DSP

Its only 4 channels but it has DSP and decent AB power out of the
box for quality aftermarket speakers . Looks like a good solution
for the base system if you are of the stereo is good enough persuasion .
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822366
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #15
OzCoE92
Lieutenant
Rep

A little update. I have procured the Individual underseats (thanks Kai for the headsup) and the HAT Carbon's with MT 22 tweeters and adapter rings. Now, in order to run the door speakers and tweeters active, what type/brand amps would be best suited for this? Also, with the Match amp/dsp combo, is it possible to feed the door speakers and tweeters only 55 watts, or will that sound like total garbage? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated, I'm trying to keep this as budget friendly as possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #16
Wongway
Captain
Rep

I only feed my tweeters and 4" speakers 55 watts each, and they're plenty loud and clear, with no distortion with my speakers. (though I'm using a completely different set)
That takes up 4 channels
Since the Match PP82DSP pretty much has it all, each channel is fully active. So active tweets and active 4" mids right there.

The other 4 channels you can do as you please.
(each of my remaining 4 channels for my install are wired to 2x 6.5" woofers)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #17
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCoE92 View Post
A little update. I have procured the Individual underseats (thanks Kai for the headsup) and the HAT Carbon's with MT 22 tweeters and adapter rings. Now, in order to run the door speakers and tweeters active, what type/brand amps would be best suited for this? Also, with the Match amp/dsp combo, is it possible to feed the door speakers and tweeters only 55 watts, or will that sound like total garbage? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated, I'm trying to keep this as budget friendly as possible.
You can use the Match to drive the Carbons and tweeters, and perhaps even the underseats. Probably not enough for the underseats and the Carbons, if you want it loud and clean, but definitely good enough for the beginning I would think. You can always add amps later.
      09-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #18
Bicax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCoE92 View Post
Does anyone here have the full Jehnert Flatline kit? If so, how does it sound? .
The door mids don't play well under 200hz, and the tweeters sound extremely harsh to my taste.

I'm actually going to replace them, I can't stand how harsh they sound. I've done some blind testing of a couple of other tweeters in my car and it was a night and day difference.

The underseat woofers sound good. My advice would be too skip the flatline kit, get the Jehnert woofers, and buy some proper mids/tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #19
Wongway
Captain
Rep

I don't know if it's a tuning thing or a taste thing.

My assumption of the Jehnert Flatline kit was the same tweeters and 4"mid as my Door Boards. (pictures of them look the same)

I get my 4"mids to play to 300hz though. Tweeters that I have are definitely not a metallic one either, so I don't have any harshness to these compared to the metallic types I've heard in the past.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:13 PM   #20
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
I don't know if it's a tuning thing or a taste thing.

My assumption of the Jehnert Flatline kit was the same tweeters and 4"mid as my Door Boards. (pictures of them look the same)

I get my 4"mids to play to 300hz though. Tweeters that I have are definitely not a metallic one either, so I don't have any harshness to these compared to the metallic types I've heard in the past.
They are the same, exact drivers.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #21
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicax View Post
The door mids don't play well under 200hz, and the tweeters sound extremely harsh to my taste.

I'm actually going to replace them, I can't stand how harsh they sound. I've done some blind testing of a couple of other tweeters in my car and it was a night and day difference.

The underseat woofers sound good. My advice would be too skip the flatline kit, get the Jehnert woofers, and buy some proper mids/tweeters.
There are no single 4" drivers that play well under 200, nor should they.

Do you still have the issues with the tuning ? I thought I recalled you having that tamed ? I would investigate a bit further.

No sarcasm or accusations intended here, just friendly advice. I have yet to have a complaint about them similar to this and I sell a LOT of them. Are they perfect for everyone ? Of course not. But never have I heard the word harsh associated with these tweeters.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #22
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Yeah, I get that tweeters can be a preference thing...

I think when I was younger (20 years ago?) I liked the metallic tweeters and the like of the old style MB Quartz from the 80's. I think as I've grown older, those types of tweeters grate on my ears more over time. I believe I've since gotten to prefer softer tweeters.

That said, I personally feel that the Jehnert seems a bit brighter than some silks in the past I've heard, but nowhere close to the crispy ringing livelyness I've gotten from the harder, more metallic ones I've heard in the past.

Again, I'm aware that everyone's preferences are different, though I would double check the tuning at least, first.

Also, I could be very biased since for the moment, I'm thanking my lucky stars I actually have a soundstage above my dash, as opposed to coming from my feet in the original base audio configuration. The drastic improvement I have now, might color my opinions of this speaker(s) as well.
Appreciate 0