BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BMW i8 Forums > BMW i8 General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
gadgetfreaky
Private
21
Rep
74
Posts

Drives: BMW 550
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Santa Monica

iTrader: (0)

Laser Lights coming to US BMW i8 in November

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Just came back this weekend from the LA Pure impulse i8 event. Met the product manager & designers of the i8.

The Laser lights will be available starting in November for new cars. I guess for the US they had to wait for the FDA to approve it! Since lasers fall under medical devices in the US.

It will only be 2X stronger than regular headlights vs. the european ones which are 3X. It will NOT have the blue lights inside the headlamp like the European.

There WILL be a retrofit kit, but it'll be expensive. They will not be adaptive (move with the steering with the car).

They will be smart in that it turns off beams hitting oncoming cars.

Not sure it'll be worth it for me.
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
197
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Maryland, USA

iTrader: (0)

Thank you for the updates. Interesting stuff indeed.

I would have hoped that for owners who got the PI package they would offer a reasonable upgrade to laser headlights instead of the trinkets, but oh well. Did you get any idea of how many zeros would be after the cost of the laser headlight retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
kip1
Captain
142
Rep
776
Posts

Drives: X5M50d
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

It will only be 2X stronger than regular headlights vs. the european ones which are 3X. It will NOT have the blue lights inside the headlamp like the European.

There WILL be a retrofit kit, but it'll be expensive. They will not be adaptive (move with the steering with the car).
The Euro headlamps should be adaptive based on the info I got. Did they comment on that? did you mean only US,or in general?
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
1995
Rep
7,108
Posts

Drives: '13 f30, '11 f10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY

iTrader: (0)

can anyone just purchase the euro lights then and retrofit? this is good news for future vehicles!
__________________
2013 EB/CR 335i xdrive | DHP | 19" VMR V803 | MPS4S | MPerformance | M3 Grills | BMS Tips | LED Turn Signals | CTS intake | VRSF FMIC | VRSF CP
2011 JB 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square | MPerformance Spoiler | M5 Grills | Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
Pauleebe
Colonel
Pauleebe's Avatar
United_States
320
Rep
2,208
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Expensive, not adaptive, and doesn't have the aesthetic features of their European counterpart?

Pass.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
ChiTownM
Captain
ChiTownM's Avatar
United_States
138
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: M and i BMWs
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Another reason not to be an early adaptor ever again with BMW....this has been one botched market introduction, with the good stuff becoming all piecemeal. It all started with the dreaded comfort access, then the key, the other assistant systems and now this.....love the car, feeling odd towards the brand now.....
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Carac
Captain
89
Rep
682
Posts

Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
Another reason not to be an early adaptor ever again with BMW....this has been one botched market introduction, with the good stuff becoming all piecemeal. It all started with the dreaded comfort access, then the key, the other assistant systems and now this.....love the car, feeling odd towards the brand now.....
It's why I sold mine but still keeping an eye on what they are doing. It seems weird that a car in development this long with the goal of being the most advanced car they offer is still missing so many features that are standard on many entry level cars these days. And features that BMW offers on almost every other model. Here's hoping they eventually get around to offering an i8 with adaptive cruise, lane departure, blind spot detection, park assist, etc. at some point.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
x5love
Captain
United_States
53
Rep
716
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

not adaptive is a fucking joke.

my X5 I got 10 years ago was adaptive.
__________________
E92 335i|Jet Black|Black Dakota|Alu|Step/paddles|ZPP|ZSP|6FL|Navi|Heated Seats|CA
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
Doctor///M's Avatar
1470
Rep
4,060
Posts

Drives: 2013 E70 X5M
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [4.76]
...is BMW the only brand that short-changes early adopters as widespread as they do? It's crazy to think that these sorts of changes are announced less than 1 year after introducing NEW models.
__________________
2013 E70 X5M /l\ Space Grey /i\ Full Silverstone Leather /l\ LED Headlights /i\ Comfort Access /l\ HUD /i\ Ventilated Seats /l\ 22" BBS SV
BMW CCA Member
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
Pentium
Captain
Pentium's Avatar
United_States
114
Rep
744
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Why there are some differences between EU and USA in the lights? is there any legal issues about them here just like the Auto Park in the 7 Series?
__________________
The Best Is Yet To Come!
E36 - E39 - E53 - E60 - E87 - E90
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #11
jphughan
Brigadier General
jphughan's Avatar
United_States
567
Rep
4,488
Posts

Drives: '16 Cayman GT4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Cool news, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the FDA that had to approve this. Not all lasers (or even medical devices) get FDA approval. You sure it wasn't just DOT or NHTSA?
__________________
'16 Cayman GT4 (delivery pics, comparison to E92 M3 write-up)

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #12
jphughan
Brigadier General
jphughan's Avatar
United_States
567
Rep
4,488
Posts

Drives: '16 Cayman GT4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium
Why there are some differences between EU and USA in the lights? is there any legal issues about them here just like the Auto Park in the 7 Series?
I think fully adaptive no-dazzle high beams is still verboten because of some rule that high beams must have a dedicated toggle switch, but it can be coded to F30s that have either auto high beams or speed limit info since those have the appropriate camera for the no-dazzle functionality.
__________________
'16 Cayman GT4 (delivery pics, comparison to E92 M3 write-up)

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 05:18 PM   #13
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
phoenixbmwlife's Avatar
United_States
1138
Rep
3,595
Posts

Drives: M235i & G30 540i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boynton Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM
Another reason not to be an early adaptor ever again with BMW....this has been one botched market introduction, with the good stuff becoming all piecemeal. It all started with the dreaded comfort access, then the key, the other assistant systems and now this.....love the car, feeling odd towards the brand now.....
Why are you feeling odd against the brand when it's the U.S. Policy that stopping us from having the identical laser headlights that Europe has?
__________________
Lack of money is not the problem. It is merely a symptom of what's going on inside of you! - T Harv Eker

Follow me on IG https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #14
3M TAPE
Banned
3M TAPE's Avatar
No_Country
349
Rep
1,235
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: States

iTrader: (0)

No blue lights, no deal!

FDA approval for car parts? Sounds weird.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 07:08 PM   #15
chipotle_napkins
Demoted lol
chipotle_napkins's Avatar
United_States
99
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: a Porsche soon (: Sowy
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

I saw an i8 cruising along the Los Angeles highway with laser lights and the blue light inside the lamps. It blinded the shit out of me in the day time

I've seen plenty of i8s but this one was strange (headlight wise)
__________________
" When you can park it and not turn around to look at it...you haven't bought the right car "
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #16
beppeM3+123d
First Lieutenant
153
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: bmw m3 dct + 123d e81
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: italy

iTrader: (0)

Order a retrofit from europe and code it like an euro car...i think that police have serius think to do instead of inspection i8 laser light....
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #17
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
197
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Maryland, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppeM3+123d View Post
Order a retrofit from europe and code it like an euro car...i think that police have serius think to do instead of inspection i8 laser light....
I wonder if it would pass inspection on a transfer...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #18
raysspl
Brigadier General
raysspl's Avatar
984
Rep
3,011
Posts

Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

I think this will be adaptive in a different sense than what most of you are thinking...
__________________
re
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 09:36 PM   #19
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
44
Rep
1,066
Posts

Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium View Post
Why there are some differences between EU and USA in the lights? is there any legal issues about them here just like the Auto Park in the 7 Series?
The US vehicle lighting codes are ancient, and requires changes to allow variable output devices - it essentially requires a switch from high beam to low beam, and nothing in between along with a specified beam pattern, and maximum and minimum luminosity over specified areas. The laser light system in no way corresponds to one of the current allowed configurations. The document is huge, but look at section 7 http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/CFR...ol6-sec571-108 and you'll see why the Euro lights are not legal in the USA. As you might imagine, changing one of these regulations when working with he government can be tedious, and rarely goes as one might plan. Same issue with the way things happened with the i3 and the REx and the restriction with the sunroof on the CFRP chassis (code in the USA requires metal around the sunroof opening for strength...doesn't matter if the CFRP is stronger than metal...the code says metal!). The USA requires side marker lights in certain positions, Europe does not, so in most cases, they are not there. This means they must make two versions of things like fenders. It would be cheaper for all involved if we'd ever agree, but a US agency giving up its control? It would take some serious political push from the top, and has the US Congress done anything worthwhile in a long time?

At some point, for better or worse, with the negotiations that have gone on for years, a vehicle certified for sale on one of the approved countries, would be legal for sale in all of those in the group. The US has been talking this, but no results, forever.

Don't hold your breath...it could get delayed, again.

Anyone actually seen the amendment?
Appreciate 4
      06-22-2015, 10:58 PM   #20
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
48
Rep
972
Posts

Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Cool news, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the FDA that had to approve this. Not all lasers (or even medical devices) get FDA approval. You sure it wasn't just DOT or NHTSA?
They are class IV lasers; the FDA is certainly involved. Though the lasers only pump the phosphor that then emits the outgoing light, there is radiation produced, and potential for laser light to leak, and the FDA guards our safety through ensuring manufacturer compliance with Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA), Chapter V, Subchapter C - Electronic Product Radiation Control, as well as Title 21 Code of Federal Regulations (Subchapter J, Radiological Health) Parts 1010 and 1040, amongst various other federal statutes.

With growing pressures to fast track approvals, the FDA seems to have changed its operational philosophy from preemptively warranting public safety to serving as more of a post-consumer database about products recalled after harm is reported (e.g. openFDA project), as evidenced by the incredible surge of recalls in 2014 alone. (BTW I'm not debating which philosophy is better, given the pace of change.) My sense is BMW elected for a protracted review (it's still up to BMW to get it right, not the FDA) and delay to US market rather than risk a senseless (expensive) recall on US soil, and ensuing negative press.

Last edited by HermesRider; 06-22-2015 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2015, 11:33 PM   #21
jphughan
Brigadier General
jphughan's Avatar
United_States
567
Rep
4,488
Posts

Drives: '16 Cayman GT4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermesRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Cool news, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the FDA that had to approve this. Not all lasers (or even medical devices) get FDA approval. You sure it wasn't just DOT or NHTSA?
They are class IV lasers; the FDA is certainly involved. Though the lasers only pump the phosphor that then emits the outgoing light, there is radiation produced, and potential for laser light to leak, and the FDA guards our safety through ensuring manufacturer compliance with Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA), Chapter V, Subchapter C - Electronic Product Radiation Control, as well as Title 21 Code of Federal Regulations (Subchapter J, Radiological Health) Parts 1010 and 1040, amongst various other federal statutes.

With growing pressures to fast track approvals, the FDA seems to have changed its operational philosophy from preemptively warranting public safety to serving as more of a post-consumer database about products recalled after harm is reported (e.g. openFDA project), as evidenced by the incredible surge of recalls in 2014 alone. (BTW I'm not debating which philosophy is better, given the pace of change.) My sense is BMW elected for a protracted review (it's still up to BMW to get it right, not the FDA) and delay to US market rather than risk a senseless (expensive) recall on US soil, and ensuing negative press.
Wow, very cool info! I stand corrected.
__________________
'16 Cayman GT4 (delivery pics, comparison to E92 M3 write-up)

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 04:55 AM   #22
Pentium
Captain
Pentium's Avatar
United_States
114
Rep
744
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
The US vehicle lighting codes are ancient, and requires changes to allow variable output devices - it essentially requires a switch from high beam to low beam, and nothing in between along with a specified beam pattern, and maximum and minimum luminosity over specified areas. The laser light system in no way corresponds to one of the current allowed configurations. The document is huge, but look at section 7 http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/CFR...ol6-sec571-108 and you'll see why the Euro lights are not legal in the USA. As you might imagine, changing one of these regulations when working with he government can be tedious, and rarely goes as one might plan. Same issue with the way things happened with the i3 and the REx and the restriction with the sunroof on the CFRP chassis (code in the USA requires metal around the sunroof opening for strength...doesn't matter if the CFRP is stronger than metal...the code says metal!). The USA requires side marker lights in certain positions, Europe does not, so in most cases, they are not there. This means they must make two versions of things like fenders. It would be cheaper for all involved if we'd ever agree, but a US agency giving up its control? It would take some serious political push from the top, and has the US Congress done anything worthwhile in a long time?

At some point, for better or worse, with the negotiations that have gone on for years, a vehicle certified for sale on one of the approved countries, would be legal for sale in all of those in the group. The US has been talking this, but no results, forever.

Don't hold your breath...it could get delayed, again.

Anyone actually seen the amendment?
Oh my god! I never knew this problem is that deep!
you know what is the ironic thing...come and drive in LA and see the how popular the cheap after market Xenon! I get blinded by them almost everyday!
Those lighting codes are just making problems....
__________________
The Best Is Yet To Come!
E36 - E39 - E53 - E60 - E87 - E90
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST