E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Sound system went nuts

04-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
sandeep
BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sound system went nuts

The LOGIC 7 sound system in the car went nuts today. Here is what happened: I got inside the car this morning, put the keys in and saw that I had left the radio on from yesterday so it was on again, but there was no sound! I was like WTF? why is there no sound? Ok, so I tried to change the mode to CD or AUX...and WTF again, it does not change from radio mode, just gives a flash on the display as if it was trying to but getting reset to radio with no sound. Damn, this was so frustrating and that too in the morning. Having done my engineering in Computers I tried to find the "bug" here in the LOGIC 7 sound system. I went to the equalizer and sound settings and tried to change one of the settings there. still no sound. I then tried to change the "DONG" level, and as I went inside that "DONG" menu, I hear the radio sound is back...a relief! but WTF, I hear the dong went nuts this time. The radio plays but the dong keeps beeping and now I can not adjust its volume as well. I exited the menu.
So now atleast everything came back to normal except the dong kept playing the background, imagine that , how friustrating. So I gave it one final try....the final Microsoft windows remedy! Shutdown and restart! Only that when I shut it down, even took out the keys, the dong kept playing! I thought I should not leave the car with the dong playing as it will drain out the car's battery. So I start the car again and shut it down again and this time the DONG went away! In other words, the second shutdown/restart worked.
So finally I turned everything off (luckily with no dong sound) and came to office, I haven't gotten back to my car yet to see what happens next time I turn the car on...But God help me..

Anyone with a similar experience? And BTW, I am really pissed at BMW now , if there can be such a silly bug in the sound system, I imagine the BUGS in the software and the computer that control the car's engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Batman quick, To the dealer!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
sandeep
BMW
United_States
Rep

I hate to part with my Bimmer. Jus because I am pissed off with her doesn't mean I don't love her...

Well actually to be honest I am a lil sceptical about handing over the car to the dealership for this issue as I am sure they will tear her apart trying to find a wiring harness, instead of searching for a bug or reporting the issue to BMW NA for a software update for Logic 7. In other words, they may think it to be a hardware issue than a software issue and I dont want them playing around with the electronics of the car taking everything apart.

I will just wait a few more days and if it happens again, I know, I will not have a choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 335i

Has happened to me 2x - once, I cranked the volume thinking it was on mute - MISTAKE when L-7 came back online. The other time, I tried turning off the system and even the car - one of those worked - can't remember which.

Def recommend NOT cranking the volume if your logic 7 goes suddenly mute on you...
      04-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Montego

how about trying to disconnect the battery to get a reset??? just a thought....
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
bimmerguy2006
BMW Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Happened to me 2x also - Turning the car off for 5 min worked if I remember correctly. The rear speakers also cut out or lose signal because the sound becomes less "surround" and full. Anyone else have the latter happen?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
sandeep
BMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_lap28 View Post
how about trying to disconnect the battery to get a reset??? just a thought....
I can try that, but I am curious to know why the hell it happened in the first place? I haven't even started modding it yet. There has been nothing abnormal in the car ever since I bought it. The only thing I can think of is that since last couple of weeks (atleast a month I should rather say), it has been warning me of "low windshield wiper fluid". I have been too lazy to fill that up. And yes it DONGs when the warning comes up...could the DONG bug be related to it?..."Dong bug", waow I just invented that. Lets call it that.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
sandeep
BMW
United_States
Rep

Good news everyone, the car audio system is back to normal now. I checked the radio during lunch and everything is working fine now. I wonder what happened to it in the morning...fingers crossed for future..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Next time, try the other Microsoft remedy -- CTRL-ALT-DELETE. Except with the E9x, it's CD eject, DVD eject, and Radio on/off buttons, all at the same time. This is assuming you have iDrive, which maybe you don't. I've had to reboot my iDrive once, for a problem similar to the one you're describing. It's never happened again, and that was more than a year ago.
      04-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #10
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I experienced a similar problem today.

I was in the McDonald's drive-through so I placed my radio on mute. Upon resuming there was no sound. The only way that I could get the sound to come back on was to switch from satellite back to radio.
Appreciate 0