THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Popping noise fix (6 weeks and waiting)

06-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #1
christine1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Popping noise fix (6 weeks and waiting)

My leased 2016 m235i coupe makes a popping noise near the drivers-side front wheel/steering column when reversing to the left.

I took it to BMW for warranty service and they've been fixing it for 6+ weeks. They've sent it to the BMW collision center for repair twice. The first fix (welds) didn't work and now I'm waiting to hear back on the second fix ("replace top"?).

Has anyone else heard this noise or had a situation with like this? I feel like I deserve some compensation for the extended amount of time I've been without my car but not sure what I'm entitled to. Thanks for any advice!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #2
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3; M235i

I sometimes feel a pop when reversing to the left. It isn't consistent, though. I haven't heard it, either - I just feel something through the wheel, which makes me think it's me driving over something. Please let us know what they find.

DBinOC
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

have you contacted BNW North America or the BMW regional rep.? Have they given you a loaner car.
when was the last time you saw the car? have you documented the mileage?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
Kayevman
kayevman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

Mine is 2015, purchased new. I felt similar popping on two occasions, both happened when reversing down my driveway with worn tread on the tires. I assumed that at least one front wheel was slipping down the driveway when the steering wheel was fully turned. Sounds simple, but it has never occurred with newer tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
christine1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
have you contacted BNW North America or the BMW regional rep.? Have they given you a loaner car.
when was the last time you saw the car? have you documented the mileage?
No, I haven't spoken with anyone other than the technician at my dealership. Should I contact BMW NA at 1-800-831-1117?

The last time I saw my car was on April 28th when I dropped it off, documented mileage at 3855. They're supposedly getting it back from BMW for testing on Wed.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #6
christine1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayevman View Post
Mine is 2015, purchased new. I felt similar popping on two occasions, both happened when reversing down my driveway with worn tread on the tires. I assumed that at least one front wheel was slipping down the driveway when the steering wheel was fully turned. Sounds simple, but it has never occurred with newer tires.
Hmm, the popping for me starting happening a few months after I got it new, but it wasn't frequently enough or loud enough for me to hassle with taking it in. Now, a year later, it happens every single time I reverse to the left and is much louder, too.

I honestly thought there was something going on near the wheel area, but BMW tells me there is something wrong with the body of the car flexing under load. I'll let you know what more I find out!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #7
christine1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinOC View Post
I sometimes feel a pop when reversing to the left. It isn't consistent, though. I haven't heard it, either - I just feel something through the wheel, which makes me think it's me driving over something. Please let us know what they find.

DBinOC
They're telling me that the body of the car is flexing; maybe you have a less severe version of what I'm experiencing? Hard to say!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
Kidu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EBII, RWD, 6spd

was it cold? then its probably tire skip. There are a videos on Youtube about that and I think another discussion as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 10:12 PM   #9
DRitch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235 XDrive Convertible

My 2016 M235i Xdrive convertible developed this, too. At first, it was only evident when backing out of the driveway, and I thought it was tire slip on the slope at the end of the driveway. However, then it started happening on level pavement.

The dealer told me that it appeared to be due to an alignment issue. That seemed very strange to me, and of course it's not covered by warranty or maintenance. I paid for an alignment, and the popping noise was greatly reduced or eliminated. Since then, I've noticed something that seemed to be the same thing again, but it's been much reduced.

I'll be interested to hear what experiences others have with this.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #10
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

This is an common problem mainly due to the suspension geometry and the sticky wide tires, but the noise will be exacerbated by misaligned or broken parts. Check out this thread.
Appreciate 0