THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Brake Pad Replacement Help

07-03-2017, 01:32 AM   #1
Kissle
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 218d Sport

Brake Pad Replacement Help

Recently bought Textar standard front/rear brake pads for my 218d sport (2014) as recommended by BMW.

I've never replaced brake pads before but have been looking to more jobs on the car by myself.

Hence, does anyone have any helpful instructions/video guides for the replacement of the brake pads on my car (or similar)?
      07-03-2017, 02:34 AM   #2
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

All single piston brakes are done pretty much the same way...

Here's a video on a 3 series brakes... Don't worry about the rotor replacement part.

07-04-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissle View Post
Recently bought Textar standard front/rear brake pads for my 218d sport (2014) as recommended by BMW.

I've never replaced brake pads before but have been looking to more jobs on the car by myself.

Hence, does anyone have any helpful instructions/video guides for the replacement of the brake pads on my car (or similar)?
Please make sure you get some help from someone with a little experience, brakes are not something you want to do a poor job of changing.
Appreciate 1
doccyber260.50
      07-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Several things to add to the vid:
1. Because the caliper piston will need to be compressed I always remove some of the brake fluid from the reservoir. Otherwise you can have brake fluid dripping out of the reservoir. Brake fluid is highly corrosive. It can remove paint!
2. When replacing pads I use a large flat screwdriver to compress the piston. Basically, I slide it into the opening at the top of the caliper, between the caliper and the outside surface of the rotor. I pull the screwdriver's handle out from the car, compressing the piston. This does not damage the rotor as it's much harder than any screwdriver!
3. Anti-seize compound is your friend. I put a very small dab on to the threads of the :
a. large bolts holding the caliper bracket onto the kingpin
b. rotor retention screw
c. hub plate onto which the rotor sits
d. hub ring onto which the wheel sits.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Several things to add to the vid:
1. Because the caliper piston will need to be compressed I always remove some of the brake fluid from the reservoir. Otherwise you can have brake fluid dripping out of the reservoir. Brake fluid is highly corrosive. It can remove paint!
Only time one would need to remove some fluid is if there's been fluid added to the reservoir, as the brakes wear, to keep it at the full mark.

If no fluid has been added, if brakes on both axles are done at once, the fluid should be at the full mark when finished.