THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Long idles bad for the engine?

09-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
PowerfulF22
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i Xdrive Coupé

Long idles bad for the engine?

I somehow forgot the car running in parking lot and went shopping and eating for approximately 3.5 hours, found out the engine was running the entire time when I came back. Inside was pretty hot compares to outside.

Was this bad for the engine? Like maybe carbon buildups?

PS: It wasn't the start/stop, I simply walked out of the car with engine idling. I was distracted

Last edited by PowerfulF22; 09-24-2017 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
M2CSL7.00
      09-23-2017, 06:51 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Wouldn't worry about it.
Of course don't make a habit of doing it.
The only thing you could possibly do is change your oil if the think the engine got very hot - but that's just guessing.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulF22 View Post
Forgot the car running in parking lot and went shopping and eating for approximately 3.5 hours, found out the engine was running the entire time when I came back.

How does that even happen? As you get up and out of the seat, you don't know the engine is running? You locked the door with it running? Were you texting someone or taking a selfie???
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
How does that even happen?
I was, "jaw open" thinking the same thing.. It's not like it's a "silent" car..

I would have had to been at gunpoint to do that, and would probably would have gotten shot for instinctively reaching to lock the doors.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
Sindarin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
How does that even happen? As you get up and out of the seat, you don't know the engine is running? You locked the door with it running? Were you texting someone or taking a selfie???
Probably had MSA (engine start stop) on. Pull into parking space and MSA shuts off engine. Get out of car without hitting start/stop button not knowing this leaves ignition on. Lock car and walk away. Some minutes later MSA starts engine due to battery charge getting low, climate control request, etc.. Come back to vehicle hours later and engine is running.
On newer cars or vehicles since programmed with ISTA/P verison 60.0 or newer it has added the three horn beeps if you try to lock the vehicle with the ignition on.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
PowerfulF22
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking about some stuff I left in the trunk, I opened the trunk with the engine running, and forgot that because the parking lot was really noisy at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #7
PowerfulF22
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindarin View Post
Probably had MSA (engine start stop) on. Pull into parking space and MSA shuts off engine. Get out of car without hitting start/stop button not knowing this leaves ignition on. Lock car and walk away. Some minutes later MSA starts engine due to battery charge getting low, climate control request, etc.. Come back to vehicle hours later and engine is running.
On newer cars or vehicles since programmed with ISTA/P verison 60.0 or newer it has added the three horn beeps if you try to lock the vehicle with the ignition on.
I don't have MSA on. I was just distracted. And I didn't hear the horn at all
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #8
PowerfulF22
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post
I was, "jaw open" thinking the same thing.. It's not like it's a "silent" car..

I would have had to been at gunpoint to do that, and would probably would have gotten shot for instinctively reaching to lock the doors.
That's the weird thing. I locked the car doors with the engine on, I didn't hear the engine because the parking lot was very noisy. Why locking the car while engine is running and key outside the car is possible?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #9
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I used to idle basically all night many times in my Nissan back in college days. Car was fine with 160k miles on it, never even used synthetic oil
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #10
PowerfulF22
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Wouldn't worry about it.
Of course don't make a habit of doing it.
The only thing you could possibly do is change your oil if the think the engine got very hot - but that's just guessing.
I need to service the car anyway in about a month.
The inside of the car did get pretty hot, I mean a lot hotter then outside the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
That's the weird thing. I locked the car doors with the engine on, I didn't hear the engine because the parking lot was very noisy. Why locking the car while engine is running and key outside the car is possible?
My guess is either Granville or Ikea (Richmond)..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #12
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

My dad left his v6 challenger on at work for 10 hours once. (Very loud area, you wouldn't hear it running) It didn't seem to hurt it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #13
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
I don't have MSA on. I was just distracted. And I didn't hear the horn at all
I think just about everyone is faced with distractions on a daily basis: noise; climate (wind); finances; job; and oh yeah, females (dual carburetors, etc.).

No big deal. Next time, simply glance at the gauges before exiting the vehicle, particularly the tachometer. I'm sure the girl won't notice the extra couple of seconds of preoccupation before the preoccupation. Heh!

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 10:06 PM   #14
PowerfulF22
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I think just about everyone is faced with distractions on a daily basis: noise; climate (wind); finances; job; and oh yeah, females (dual carburetors, etc.).

No big deal. Next time, simply glance at the gauges before exiting the vehicle, particularly the tachometer. I'm sure the girl won't notice the extra couple of seconds of preoccupation before the preoccupation. Heh!
Great suggestion! Appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 12:04 AM   #15
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I've left my 3er on all night (14 hrs or so) on accident on account of not noticing the car was in start/stop mode and not off. No ill effects.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #16
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

hmm this troubles me

i can definitely imagine the car starting itself in the garage.

hope i can code auto/start entirely off ...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #17
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeffries View Post

You don't have to code it off. Just press the button above the ignition to turn it off, and unless you select Eco mode, it will stay off. Mine has been off for 3 years.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #18
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeffries View Post

You don't have to code it off. Just press the button above the ignition to turn it off, and unless you select Eco mode, it will stay off. Mine has been off for 3 years.
It?s not a problem on the newer cars. On the older ones it would turn it self on every time you started the car. Also wouldn?t shut off if you left the car and locked it. Both of these things were remedied with software updates.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
It?s not a problem on the newer cars. On the older ones it would turn it self on every time you started the car. Also wouldn?t shut off if you left the car and locked it. Both of these things were remedied with software updates.
It's works as described on my 2015MY. There's only one year of 2 Series older than that.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #20
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
I somehow forgot the car running in parking lot and went shopping and eating for approximately 3.5 hours, found out the engine was running the entire time when I came back. Inside was pretty hot compares to outside.

PS: It wasn't the start/stop, I simply walked out of the car with engine idling. I was distracted
The engine management system on a modern fuel injected engine will always use the correct air/fuel ratio so no carbon build up. You just wasted gasoline.

In the future, keep the remote in your pocket and the engine won't run after you leave.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #21
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson View Post
The engine management system on a modern fuel injected engine will always use the correct air/fuel ratio so no carbon build up. You just wasted gasoline.

In the future, keep the remote in your pocket and the engine won't run after you leave.
What do u mean it won't run without the remote, it runs just fine
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #22
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

This thread reminds me of way back when I was a kid and the new
diesel/electric railroad engines arrived to replace the steam engines.
We lived about a mile from a main switch yard and I can still recall
those diesel/electrics sitting there all night, idling. The crews simply
set the parking brakes, locked the doors and went home! I guess it
was easier on those diesels to leave them running.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0