Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
Random lines
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
59
Rep
414
Posts

Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

idrive keeps rebooting

Should have left well enough alone!

So went into the dealer for 4 new tires, new drivers door hydraulic (recall), state safety....and the dreaded programming update.

Day 1 - idrive reboots once.
Day 2 (today) - idrive rebooted about 5 times during a 20 minute drive

Going back to the dealer is a real PIA as they're about an hour drive from me.

Anyone have this issue?
Idrive has been bug free since I've had this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:24 AM   #2
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
100
Rep
407
Posts

Drives: i8
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman777 View Post
Should have left well enough alone!

So went into the dealer for 4 new tires, new drivers door hydraulic (recall), state safety....and the dreaded programming update.

Day 1 - idrive reboots once.
Day 2 (today) - idrive rebooted about 5 times during a 20 minute drive

Going back to the dealer is a real PIA as they're about an hour drive from me.

Anyone have this issue?
Idrive has been bug free since I've had this car.
Yep, had this (screen usually said something like "Navigation System Starting"), Dealer concluded new 12v battery needed despite no other symptoms and no other electrical systems appeared affected.

Why it would start happening after a visit to the Dealer though, I'm not sure - maybe the time it took to re-program meant the 12v was drained quite a bit, doors open, ignition on etc...?
__________________
2014 i8
2002 x5 4.6is
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 06:34 AM   #3
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
59
Rep
414
Posts

Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
Yep, had this (screen usually said something like "Navigation System Starting"), Dealer concluded new 12v battery needed despite no other symptoms and no other electrical systems appeared affected.

Why it would start happening after a visit to the Dealer though, I'm not sure - maybe the time it took to re-program meant the 12v was drained quite a bit, doors open, ignition on etc...?
Wow, I hope that's not what it is. Still hoping it just needs a reboot.

My screen keeps going back to the welcome screen - like when you first turn the car on.
The latest development is that the GPS doesn't work. When I go to navigation, it's just stuck on the screen saying 'navigation system starting'. The rest of the idrive functions work though...as long as it's not rebooting lol
I did have the GPS problem once before actually, and it was a reboot that fixed that particular problem.

Do you remember how long the service was to replace the 12V?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
100
Rep
407
Posts

Drives: i8
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman777 View Post
Wow, I hope that's not what it is. Still hoping it just needs a reboot.

My screen keeps going back to the welcome screen - like when you first turn the car on.
The latest development is that the GPS doesn't work. When I go to navigation, it's just stuck on the screen saying 'navigation system starting'. The rest of the idrive functions work though...as long as it's not rebooting lol
I did have the GPS problem once before actually, and it was a reboot that fixed that particular problem.

Do you remember how long the service was to replace the 12V?
Replacing the battery didn't take long - I believe it's as simple as a normal car (except you need two technicians to lift the bonnet/hood) and it is a bog-standard lead/acid battery.

I'm sure they will want to diagnose properly, that could take some time but I would steer them towards checking the battery first and if it looks shaky I'm sure they will want to replace it as a (hopeful) quick fix.
__________________
2014 i8
2002 x5 4.6is
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
evanevery's Avatar
965
Rep
1,656
Posts

Drives: i8 Roadster, M4, Tesla MX
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Does it reboot if you just let the car sit - or do you need to be driving it? If you can make it happen "in the driveway", you might just want to augment the batteries power with a charger to see if it mitigates the issue...

Why can't you just throw a charger on the battery to see if it helps? (Before you declare the battery needs to be replaced)...

Might it also be that the service center disconnected the battery for some service and then just didn't tighten the battery clamps all the way?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #6
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
59
Rep
414
Posts

Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Does it reboot if you just let the car sit - or do you need to be driving it? If you can make it happen "in the driveway", you might just want to augment the batteries power with a charger to see if it mitigates the issue...

Why can't you just throw a charger on the battery to see if it helps? (Before you declare the battery needs to be replaced)...

Might it also be that the service center disconnected the battery for some service and then just didn't tighten the battery clamps all the way?
With this service center anything is possible.

It happened a few times yesterday while I was just sitting with the car running in the driveway.

I don't think the battery is consumer accessible though.

Putting another post with the new developments.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
59
Rep
414
Posts

Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Today I went to the dealer. The dealer is about an hour from me, and the idrive didn't reboot the whole way.
The GPS however didn't work.
The posted speed limit display on the HUD didn't work either.
The online manual didn't work either.

There is this weird slow clicking sound I can hear...similar to a crashed hard drive spinning.

Dealer said needs a new head unit. They reset the software, and he told me it threw a code for head unit error, and said there is a technical bulletin about this issue.
Strange it started after the new programming though.
He also mentioned that they can connect with another dealer, like ethernet type of connect, to reprogram the new head unit.

Should have stayed away from this reprogram stuff....everything was just fine!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
evanevery's Avatar
965
Rep
1,656
Posts

Drives: i8 Roadster, M4, Tesla MX
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

I would be somewhat surprised if "the HD" is an actual spinning hard drive vs just some form of solid state storage...

In any case... Sounds like they are onto it...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
59
Rep
414
Posts

Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
I would be somewhat surprised if "the HD" is an actual spinning hard drive vs just some form of solid state storage...

In any case... Sounds like they are onto it...
Ya, the i8 tech told me it's flash memory.
Just went back to the car to check on that clicking sound, definitely there, even when sitting.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #10
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
59
Rep
414
Posts

Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

I thought I was imagining things, but this is definitely a different icon for the battery than before.
The stacked icons I thought was weird, never saw that...but after googling the instrument cluster, I see the actual icon, plus the stacking of the icon is new.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
59
Rep
414
Posts

Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

oh well, it's back to rebooting like crazy...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 07:02 AM   #12
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
86
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: BMW i8
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Eldersburg, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman777 View Post
oh well, it's back to rebooting like crazy...
Have you resolved this issue?

I had the rebooting issue happen 3 times around April 2019 and they replaced my head unit under warranty. It's been fine until August 2019, and rebooted literally 10 times on a drive, before it did a system reset on itself. I lost all my settings and had to reprogram them all in. I drove 200 more miles without any reboots. Might be something they programmed into these. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it does it again.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #13
needadvice
Registered
United Kingdom
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: bmw 520d
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Retford

iTrader: (0)

MMW 520d display rebooting every 2 minutes while drving

Hi everyone

I am new here.BMW 520d 2012

Updated with 2019-2 Europe west Next map( Bought from BMW connected drive portal online ).Installation successful after entering the activation code.Next morning the display keep rebooting every 2 minutes while driving but not when I park the car.

Navigation, bluetooth, multimedia and radio doesn't work.(2013 map version was there before this )

I tried updating the software,pressed radio and cd button simultaneously to reboot the head unit.Nothing resolved.

I did not have any problem before updating the new map version.Dealer is so expensive to conduct diagnostic checks.

Warranty expired.BMW customer services advised me to book in with dealer for diagnostic check ( which I have to pay )

1.Any solution ?
2.Can anyone fix this ? if yes whats the price ?
3.If they can't fix then can it be reset back to the 2013 map version ?

I would rather stick with older version rather than updating.Please advice.Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #14
needadvice
Registered
United Kingdom
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: bmw 520d
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Retford

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up Resolved

Hi Guys

I have resolved the problem now.All works fine , even better than before with some extra features added

I would highly recommend these guys if anyone from United Kingdom has rebooting issue.

BMWMAN( BMW Specialist sorted it for reasonable price )
Heanor Gate Road
Heanor
DE757RJ
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #15
Louv
Driver
Louv's Avatar
United_States
286
Rep
373
Posts

Drives: Mephisto Gray
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mainely

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman777 View Post
oh well, it's back to rebooting like crazy...
Sorry to hear that.

You could try to call the dealer and tell them: "I don't feel safe driving this vehicle. Please send a flatbed to my house to pick it up, take back to your shop, and repair it. It would be very good customer service if the flatbed had a loaner car on it when it arrived. Thank you."
__________________
cages:'18 M2, '15 i8, '15 X6M and '18 K1600GT
History: '96 Z3, '95 540i, '95 540iA, '00 M5, '04 X5, '88 M6, '89 750iL, '08 Z4MCoupe, '12 ActiveE, '62 R60/2, '76 R90S, '08 R1200GSA, '10 G450X
I own no garage queens. If it's in my driveway, it's been ridden hard and put away wet. ...and now, with a light crust of Maine road salt.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 11:36 PM   #16
lalin300
Registered
lalin300's Avatar
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 13 550i, 91 mr2, 85 monte carl
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: washington

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by needadvice View Post
Hi Guys

I have resolved the problem now.All works fine , even better than before with some extra features added

I would highly recommend these guys if anyone from United Kingdom has rebooting issue.

BMWMAN( BMW Specialist sorted it for reasonable price )
Heanor Gate Road
Heanor
DE757RJ
im having a similar issue i have a 2013 550i xdrive, i updated my gps as well from a facebook thread to a 2019 gps update, after the update i noticed it took a little longer to boot, but besides that i didnt have any problems for a month. sometime later i left out of state for 2 months, came back started my car and noticed that my battery was low and noticed that the idrive just kept rebooting. also the parking and other censors arent working either. so i charged the battery and now that its fully charged my idrive is still stuck on rebooting.
what did they do to fix yours? coding?
any help is appreciated

Last edited by lalin300; 01-02-2020 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #17
telegony
New Member
18
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW M2
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

iDrive Issue

I had the same issue on my M2. They replaced the computer under warranty and it solved the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #18
amancanada
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW x5 70
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
Yep, had this (screen usually said something like "Navigation System Starting"), Dealer concluded new 12v battery needed despite no other symptoms and no other electrical systems appeared affected.

Why it would start happening after a visit to the Dealer though, I'm not sure - maybe the time it took to re-program meant the 12v was drained quite a bit, doors open, ignition on etc...?
I had the same problem after updating the maps and I was told that I need a new idrive.
After playing around with it for almost a month I think I have found a fix without changing the Idrive. My idrive use to reboot every few minutes however haven't had a single reboot for last 8 days after the fix .
Since the maps update was crashing the system I realized that the closeup view of the maps put extra processing load on the system causing it to crash .I changed the view to 1000 km and no reboot or crash since then .
If I try to use the navigation it does cause the crash as the view changes to 50 km from 1000.
I hope this can help other fellows and save the cost of Idrive and or head unit
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST