BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BMW i8 Forums > BMW i8 General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-08-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
Jason's Avatar
United_States
18520
Rep
19,273
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Carfection BMW i8 Roadster Review: The Ultimate Urban Sportscar

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Carfection BMW i8 Roadster Review: The Ultimate Urban Sportscar
66
COMMENTS

The BMW i8 was never intended to be anything other than a coupe but it looks damn good a s a roadster. Henry Catchpole takes the new BMW i8 Roadster out for a spin to let us know if taking the roof off was a good idea.



__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
Saphirschwarz
Captain
Saphirschwarz's Avatar
Belgium
455
Rep
981
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

beautiful car
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
andrewc89
Colonel
andrewc89's Avatar
United_States
4736
Rep
2,307
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 | 2015 328dx
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2017 M2  [5.00]
2015 328d xDrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
beautiful car
Way too expensive for what it is though. You could buy and AMG GT or an Audi R8 for that kind of money.
Appreciate 2
      08-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
raysspl
Colonel
raysspl's Avatar
971
Rep
2,988
Posts

Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: thesocalrealestate.com

iTrader: (0)

Have it in red already jeeeez
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
Maxxsirrah
Private First Class
Maxxsirrah's Avatar
55
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: BMW i8 Crystal White
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Leicestershire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Way too expensive for what it is though. You could buy and AMG GT or an Audi R8 for that kind of money.
yes you could. Or you could have a social conscience.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace3420.00

      08-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
spatterson007
Enlisted Member
spatterson007's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW F30 328i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Plano Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
beautiful car
Way too expensive for what it is though. You could buy and AMG GT or an Audi R8 for that kind of money.
Agreed.
Appreciate 2
andrewc894735.50

      08-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
Flying Ace
Major General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
3420
Rep
9,855
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Way too expensive for what it is though. You could buy and AMG GT or an Audi R8 for that kind of money.
What's your point? Why not cross shop this with a Range Rover Autobiography? Has it occurred to you that the i8 wasn't designed to compete with performance cars?

I just can't stand people who says "well you coulda had a 911 blah blah blah, bc it's the best combo of blah blah blah going ought ought ought ought seconds faster than this and that". Companies create models that clearly compete with other models...and then there are models that is in it's own segment by itself.

The i8 stands by itself. There is no comparison, there is no competitor. It's a road-going version of a company's vision for the future of automobiles and is the first revenue generating result of the billions they dumped into the i-car technology so that they can stay in business in the next 20-30 years and still build a M2 for you.
__________________
12 AW/Cinnamon X5 Diesel Urban Assault Vehicle
14 AW M6GC ZCP, MPE, e-wheel, vorsteiner spoiler
08 SSII E90 M3 (Sold!)

Last edited by Flying Ace; 08-08-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Appreciate 7
      08-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
Longboarder
Major General
1405
Rep
5,682
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW i8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
...or you could have leased it new at a massive subsidized cap cost reduction and zero money factor from BMW and have a payment in between a M3 and an M6.
__________________
Daily: 2016 BMW i8
Airstrip: 2015 Porsche 991 Turbo S / GIAC FBO Meth 68mm turbos
Track: 2015 Porsche 991 GT3
Utility: 2012 BMW e92 M3 DCT
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #9
M3GymNut
First Lieutenant
211
Rep
360
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 BSM
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
What's your point? Why not cross shop this with a Range Rover Autobiography? Has it occurred to you that the i8 wasn't designed to compete with performance cars?

I just can't stand people who says "well you coulda had a 911 blah blah blah, bc it's the best combo of blah blah blah going ought ought ought ought seconds faster than this and that". Companies create models that clearly compete with other models...and then there are models that is in it's own segment by itself.

The i8 stands by itself. There is no comparison, there is no competitor. It's a road-going version of a company's vision for the future of automobiles and is the first revenue generating result of the billions they dumped into the i-car technology so that they can stay in business in the next 20-30 years and still build a M2 for you.
Well said I was going to type the same thing but probably worse in presentation, well said.
Appreciate 2
iZord10.50

      08-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
JasH
Major
JasH's Avatar
United Kingdom
466
Rep
1,382
Posts

Drives: McLaren & i8 & i3
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kent, UK

iTrader: (0)

Nice film...but what an idiotic review comment....that it has "too much grip".

This is not a car you want to slip & slide in, like a Carterham.

But he was right about the rest of the comments.
Appreciate 1
Jo-Sta07250.50

      08-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #11
evanevery
Major
evanevery's Avatar
800
Rep
1,430
Posts

Drives: i8 Roadster, M4, Tesla MX
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Way too expensive for what it is though. You could buy and AMG GT or an Audi R8 for that kind of money.
Um, its not the kind of car I would cross-shop for an AMG-GT or and Audi R8.

The i8 is a unique (and very impractical) vehicle. It doesn't really cross-shop with ANYTHING else so comparisons are pretty pointless. You either want one or you don't...

That being said ("impractical"), I just finished the ED of my i8 Roadster a week ago! I put about 400 miles on the Alpenstrasse (Munich -> Eastern Half) and then another 600 or so back and forth to the Ring. Overall I'm very impressed. Its a very comfortable car and fun to drive. Very nice with the top down *OR* up. Easily capable of hitting the 255 KPH (157 mph) speed limiter on the A-Bahn! ;-)
__________________
The Jiggery-Pokery is Strong with this One

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ht=fire+orange
Appreciate 1
deemo319845.50

      08-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #12
BorisBulldog
New Member
BorisBulldog's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2016 x5 m sport
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Huntersville, NC

iTrader: (0)

Nice video, I learned I've been pronouncing "coupe" wrong my entire life.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 05:40 PM   #13
BorisBulldog
New Member
BorisBulldog's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2016 x5 m sport
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Huntersville, NC

iTrader: (0)

coupay

Nice video, I learned I've been pronouncing "coupe" wrong my entire life.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #14
deemo319
Major
deemo319's Avatar
United_States
846
Rep
1,122
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
Have it in red already jeeeez
I know right! This on a Roadster is the absolute ticket!
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #15
antzcrashing
Lieutenant Colonel
antzcrashing's Avatar
273
Rep
1,596
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Way too expensive for what it is though. You could buy and AMG GT or an Audi R8 for that kind of money.
yes you could. Or you could have a social conscience.
If u have a social conscience you buy a honda civic. I8 is awesome on its own legs, dont talk to me about social conscience with a 150k convertible
Appreciate 1
Jo-Sta07250.50

      08-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #16
Jo-Sta07
Lieutenant
Jo-Sta07's Avatar
251
Rep
518
Posts

Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Scottsdale/Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Lol agreed there. Talk about your social conscience on your $180k supercar. Just own it. You like nice things. You can afford them. Not. A. Crime..........yet
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2018, 08:20 AM   #17
jcpca356
Lieutenant
jcpca356's Avatar
145
Rep
428
Posts

Drives: i8
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

going on 4 years of ownership. I think I like it more now than when I first bought it.
__________________
2015 BMW i8, 2015 Porsche Panamera 4, 2018 Civic TYPE R, 2016 Prius 4
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #18
marcus321
Captain
119
Rep
894
Posts

Drives: 2017 Acura NSX
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (1)

Such a good looking car. Such trash performance to back up the styling. If it was 100k then it would be a truly amazing car but its way overpriced
__________________
Previous Cars:06 Mazda 3i, 04 Nissan 350z, 08 BMW 335i, 2012 Nissan GT-R, 2016 BMW M4
Current Car: 2017 Acura NSX

IG: m_r_lane
Appreciate 1
AwesomeM3664.50

      08-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #19
Maxxsirrah
Private First Class
Maxxsirrah's Avatar
55
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: BMW i8 Crystal White
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Leicestershire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
Lol agreed there. Talk about your social conscience on your $180k supercar. Just own it. You like nice things. You can afford them. Not. A. Crime..........yet
I'm talking social conscience from a pollution and environmental perspective. Yes, I could afford any of those other cars mentioned, in the real world are they any quicker, not really. In the real world are they polluting people standing next to them, consuming fuel at a rate of knots, contributing greatly to global warming? Yes.

It makes a difference to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #20
evanevery
Major
evanevery's Avatar
800
Rep
1,430
Posts

Drives: i8 Roadster, M4, Tesla MX
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
I'm talking social conscience from a pollution and environmental perspective. Yes, I could afford any of those other cars mentioned, in the real world are they any quicker, not really. In the real world are they polluting people standing next to them, consuming fuel at a rate of knots, contributing greatly to global warming? Yes.

It makes a difference to me.
You need to be honest with yourself. The i8 is NOT even close to being a stellar performer from an "environmental perspective". If you want to tell yourself that to justify your purchase - that's fine - but don't try to preach that to everyone else as you will just look foolish. (I guess that's up to you though...)

The i8 only gets about 30mpg in real world use. Lots of much cheaper hybrid, diesel and even gas cars do better than that. ...and if you are going to rely on its electric range only then there are a lot more attractive options which are also less expensive (Tesla).

...I'm not dissing the i8 (I just bought one), but lets please just skip the environmental BS.
__________________
The Jiggery-Pokery is Strong with this One

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ht=fire+orange
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #21
Maxxsirrah
Private First Class
Maxxsirrah's Avatar
55
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: BMW i8 Crystal White
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Leicestershire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
You need to be honest with yourself. The i8 is NOT even close to being a stellar performer from an "environmental perspective". If you want to tell yourself that to justify your purchase - that's fine - but don't try to preach that to everyone else as you will just look foolish. (I guess that's up to you though...)

The i8 only gets about 30mpg in real world use. Lots of much cheaper hybrid, diesel and even gas cars do better than that. ...and if you are going to rely on its electric range only then there are a lot more attractive options which are also less expensive (Tesla).

...I'm not dissing the i8 (I just bought one), but lets please just skip the environmental BS.
I'm not preaching to anyone, just saying what matters to me. Personally my average mpg is a whisker under 50 so far (in 6000 miles of driving), due to the types of journeys that I make, but yes, very much in the real world. I am able to charge the car at home and at work, which helps of course. Do I have to do so to save money? No of course not, I do it because I do genuinely care. I read on here that many people don't ever charge their i8's, thats clearly their prerogative, but seems simply wasteful to me.

I wanted a well built high quality sports car, so Tesla and cheaper hybrid cars were not even in the equation. So options really were R8, AMG GT, 911, V8 Vantage. Each of those would use at least twice the fuel that I use in the i8, some of them much much more, so in reality they were out of the equation too.

My decision to get the i8 was considered, and educated, not whimsical or foolish and I am very happy with it indeed. I would consider another hybrid sports car for the same reason at the right time, or even an electric one, but I'm unlikely to ever have another gas guzzler again.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #22
evanevery
Major
evanevery's Avatar
800
Rep
1,430
Posts

Drives: i8 Roadster, M4, Tesla MX
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus321 View Post
Such a good looking car. Such trash performance to back up the styling. If it was 100k then it would be a truly amazing car but its way overpriced
My $30 Quartz Timex keeps better time than my $10K Breitlings (or Rolex) but thats NOT why I bought them.

I bought my Breitlings because they are mechanical works of art and very fine pieces of engineering.
__________________
The Jiggery-Pokery is Strong with this One

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ht=fire+orange
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST