E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 28A0 - (Car Is Not tuned)

06-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335I COUPE SPORT

28A0 - (Car Is Not tuned)

I decided to start tracking down why this code goes away but comes back, eventually trips the engine service light. It showed it’s face sometime between the vc replacement/injectors cant remember the exact moment. I’ll be installing the replacement map on the intake today. I ordered the wrong part last week In the event this does not solve the issue what else can I troubleshoot.
I’ve read the dme could be faulty, throttle body, the fuel vent valve and in what seems to be a rare event internal damage to camshaft bearings.

This link suggests to me that a fix must be somewhere with updated software but states to replace throttle body until that update happens?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...52356-7192.pdf
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #2
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyTeeee View Post
I decided to start tracking down why this code goes away but comes back, eventually trips the engine service light. It showed it’s face sometime between the vc replacement/injectors cant remember the exact moment. I’ll be installing the replacement map on the intake today. I ordered the wrong part last week In the event this does not solve the issue what else can I troubleshoot.
I’ve read the dme could be faulty, throttle body, the fuel vent valve and in what seems to be a rare event internal damage to camshaft bearings.

This link suggests to me that a fix must be somewhere with updated software but states to replace throttle body until that update happens?
clean map, tmap, and maf sensor. Check for vacumm and boost leaks.

I have seen this code pop up within the context of 50 different issues lol. I had it popping up with a previous tune revision. I have since gotten a new revision and done all sorts of crap to the car and it has not popped up at all. No clue what was causing it or why it went away...

I would think that if the intake cam were the issue then you would also be getting adjustment fault codes along with the 28A0. A tleast, that would make sense and the few threads that mention engine damage had MULTIPLE codes not just a solo 28A0 code.

not helpful I know... You can always pull the valve cover off and pull the cam caps off 1 at a time to check for damage.... won't cost you anything outside of a few hours and a new valve cover gasket.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #3
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the input! They got a good spray while I had then out, decided to clean both map sensors. My tp one had a broken gasket which I replaced. Maf has been swapped. Crossing fingers the new map sensor fixes it bc after that parts get real pricey. Pedal voltages looked ok on protool at idle .7 v and 4.3v didnt think to log while pressed down fully I’ll do that today as well. Do you or anyone know what the manifold map vacuum/pressure should read between at idle?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So it’s not a faulty map sensor. It could be a vacuum leak I won’t rule that out but seeing as how the car is running rich (within the “ok” zone) I don’t see that as the underlying reason. I could of course be wrong. I’ll take out the tb and give it another cleaning this weekend. I may need to take a chance and replace it. Fcp has 2 the oe and oem version the VDO is 1/2 the price anyone have issues running it?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i l 328xi l X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
clean map, tmap, and maf sensor. Check for vacumm and boost leaks.

I have seen this code pop up within the context of 50 different issues lol. I had it popping up with a previous tune revision. I have since gotten a new revision and done all sorts of crap to the car and it has not popped up at all. No clue what was causing it or why it went away...

I would think that if the intake cam were the issue then you would also be getting adjustment fault codes along with the 28A0. A tleast, that would make sense and the few threads that mention engine damage had MULTIPLE codes not just a solo 28A0 code.

not helpful I know... You can always pull the valve cover off and pull the cam caps off 1 at a time to check for damage.... won't cost you anything outside of a few hours and a new valve cover gasket.
+1 Clean the sensors, ALL if able..

28A0 - Air mass system, plausibility: calculated air volumes in air intake system implausible
      06-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiFFv1 View Post
+1 Clean the sensors, ALL if able..

28A0 - Air mass system, plausibility: calculated air volumes in air intake system implausible
I’ve cleaned them all. I cleaned the tb when I did the hpfp. The maf was replaced also. The log I took on protool reads from a quick glance identical to the log with the original sensor. This leaves me to work from cheapest to expensive which in order would be tb then dme. If you include the one off fuel vent valve fix: Vent valve, tb then dme. Considering the car runs I doubt the dme is bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Again this does state a software fix is around but I have no idea how to do that nor have I seen a post noting the fix. It also says replace tb
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #8
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Does any of this mean anything to yall? I took some nifty logs on protool if anyone would like to see those
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I’ve read through an absurd amount of posts relating to this code and I came by one that said to disconnect the fuel tank valve electrical connector and let idle for 15 mins. Anyone heard of this? Idk about you but I don’t like the idea of things being disconnected while running let alone for 15 minutes lol.
Appreciate 0