BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Water pump and thermostat replacement

10-10-2021, 07:33 PM   #1
galixia
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW xDrive25i

Water pump and thermostat replacement

Just wondering if anyone has attempted this themselves or just always get a workshop to do it? It seems common enough that they go but they are in a horrible spot. I had a look at access from the top and seems a lot would have to be pulled apart and still room would be tight. I didn't have a look through the wheel well to soo if removing the plastics there could make the job easier.

I've done several searches and can't find a video anywhere of it or a write up on how to do it for the F48 X1 any help would be appreciated please. The car is a few years out of warranty now.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 12:07 AM   #2
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by galixia View Post
Just wondering if anyone has attempted this themselves or just always get a workshop to do it? It seems common enough that they go but they are in a horrible spot. I had a look at access from the top and seems a lot would have to be pulled apart and still room would be tight. I didn't have a look through the wheel well to soo if removing the plastics there could make the job easier.

I've done several searches and can't find a video anywhere of it or a write up on how to do it for the F48 X1 any help would be appreciated please. The car is a few years out of warranty now.
Hi galixia, how are you?

I'm attaching the documents from ISTA for an X1 F48. It looks like complicated work to do.

Btw, I changed the water pump last year directly at BMW service.

Good luck!
      10-11-2021, 12:31 AM   #3
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Quote:

Hi galixia, how are you?

I'm attaching the documents from ISTA for an X1 F48. It looks like complicated work to do.

Good luck!
Where's the documents?

I'd like to see them just out of curiosity
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Makis View Post
Where's the documents?

Hi ///Makis,

I attached them to my previous post. Can you see them?

If you have ISTA, you can go to Vehicle management -> Product Structure -> 11 Engine -> 1151 Coolant pump with drive.
Attached Images

10-11-2021, 09:35 PM   #5
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Quote:
Where's the documents?

Hi ///Makis,

I attached them to my previous post. Can you see them?

If you have ISTA, you can go to Vehicle management -> Product Structure -> 11 Engine -> 1151 Coolant pump with drive.
Thanks for the reply bud,

I'm on mobile and can't see them but I can see how they look from your screenshot.

If I have to tackle this problem I'll check your post from safari.

What mileage did your pump fail at? And did you do any other routine services that you would recommend while you're at it?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 10:36 AM   #6
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply bud,

I'm on mobile and can't see them but I can see how they look from your screenshot.

If I have to tackle this problem I'll check your post from safari.

What mileage did your pump fail at? And did you do any other routine services that you would recommend while you're at it?
I had to change it at 30,000 km , unbelievable. I found a visible leakage and smell when hot. I asked BMW service about it, and it turned out to be the water pump, so they replaced it.

The same happened with the engine mounts. I had to replace the right side top and bottom at around the same Kms. I don't think that's normal.

But, I bought my X1 second-hand, so I believe it had 'hidden troubles,' you know. Thankfully, the engine block runs perfectly (so far, haha).
      10-12-2021, 04:49 PM   #7
galixia
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW xDrive25i

Thanks for the replies.

I have the workshop manual and had a look in there. Was after more clarification on how to actually get to the water pump as its in such a tight spot
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 08:40 PM   #8
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I have the workshop manual and had a look in there. Was after more clarification on how to actually get to the water pump as its in such a tight spot
Well, you know, in the ISTA manuals, they remove first the entire front bumper to get more room and then the alternator bracket to access de water pump. So I think it's the way to go if you want to do it yourself.
      04-04-2023, 05:27 PM   #9
Icycharizard
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Hi galixia, how are you?

Good luck!
HI!! I honestly love you for posting this. Does the AC compressor really need to be disconnected or can it hang by its hoses or be supported and pushed out of the way in order to remove the alternator support bracket (thermostat bracket) for a water pump/thermostat bracket replacement? If it does need the Freon drained and AC comp disconnected, can you link that guide? ��

Last edited by Icycharizard; 04-04-2023 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 11:54 AM   #10
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icycharizard View Post
HI!! I honestly love you for posting this. Does the AC compressor really need to be disconnected or can it hang by its hoses or be supported and pushed out of the way in order to remove the alternator support bracket (thermostat bracket) for a water pump/thermostat bracket replacement? If it does need the Freon drained and AC comp disconnected, can you link that guide? ��
Hi there!

Sorry, I didn't do the work myself. Looks too complicated to do it in my garage, anyway. I just uploaded some of the steps as a guideline for others.

But from other experiences, like changing the charge pipe and boost pipe, I can tell you that there are some 'shortcuts,' and you don't need to follow 100% what ISTA tells you to do. But, at the same time, following ISTA steps makes your life easier.

Let me see if I can find and upload all the steps from ISTA, so you can have a complete reference of what's needed.
      04-11-2023, 05:46 PM   #11
Icycharizard
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Hi there!

Sorry, I didn't do the work myself. Looks too complicated to do it in my garage, anyway. I just uploaded some of the steps as a guideline for others.

But from other experiences, like changing the charge pipe and boost pipe, I can tell you that there are some 'shortcuts,' and you don't need to follow 100% what ISTA tells you to do. But, at the same time, following ISTA steps makes your life easier.

Let me see if I can find and upload all the steps from ISTA, so you can have a complete reference of what's needed.
Awesome! And I did change the pump already! Now I’m just waiting on the model specific serpentine belt release tool, as the hex nut was starting to round out when putting the belt back on…. *face palm*

NO, you do not need to disconnect the AC compressor, but you do need to move it out of the way by unbolting it. It BARELY moves out of the way enough to get the water pump bolts out and in, by reallyyyy shoving it to the side. Also, the valvtronic motor doesn’t need to come out. The guy who said it does in the video has no idea what he is talking about on that point. It’s not in the way at all. I WILLL TELL YOU that this job really sucks because there’s no panel that pops out if the frame to access all the bolts to get them out. It’s kind of like they really want the engine lifted out to change this. Pretty insane. Took me 9 hours because NOTHING was going right on Saturday. Delay at every step.

I DO need to know one thing tho: is there a specific coolant bleeding procedure? This is NOT an electronic coolant pump, and all I see online is bleeding procedure for electric cooling pumps for BMWs. There’s only one plug on the pump, and that goes to the thermostats temp sensor.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 10:28 PM   #12
dudezi
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

no special procedure for coolant bleed, just turn heat to the highest, fan full speed, loose the bleeding screw, wait till there is no more air bubble in the returning coolant, add coolant as needed during the process.
Appreciate 0