Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
Random lines
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-31-2021, 11:36 AM   #1
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
391
Rep
4,813
Posts

Drives: Fast ones
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

i4 eDrive 40 review thread

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all, I’m very anxiously awaiting reviews of the eDrive 40. Long time owner of many BMWs that are mainly M cars and RWD except for a couple of X5M and X3. For that reason I am more keen on the RWD e40. Coming from M2 Competition I’m not expecting the i4 to be that dynamic but I also daily in Tesla Model 3 RWD so am expecting this to be comparable. The review below is the only one I’ve seen for the eDrive 40. Are there any others out there? Please post all the e40 reviews here!



Appreciate 2
jmg11601.00
sth519117.50
      12-31-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
Encanto
Colonel
Encanto's Avatar
United_States
1045
Rep
2,022
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

Good review... BMW specs state that the i4 has rear air suspension standard, regardless of model.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
Ken7
Private
6
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: Audi e-Tron
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Good review... BMW specs state that the i4 has rear air suspension standard, regardless of model.
But we know that's not true in the case of e40. That trim comes standard without the rear air suspension. It can be ordered with the M Sport package, but it's not standard.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 12:33 PM   #4
Encanto
Colonel
Encanto's Avatar
United_States
1045
Rep
2,022
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
But we know that's not true in the case of e40. That trim comes standard without the rear air suspension. It can be ordered with the M Sport package, but it's not standard.
You are describing the adaptive suspension option (2VF), not the rear air suspension which is standard.

From press release:
Quote:
Both i4 models also include a rear air suspension, whose automatic self-levelling feature keeps the car at a constant ride height when carrying a heavy load. The air suspension has been configured to increase ride comfort and sharpen handling abilities by greatly reducing body pitch and roll.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 02:25 PM   #5
Ken7
Private
6
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: Audi e-Tron
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

I just checked and you are 100% correct. I was always under the impression the rear air suspension was optional on the 40 and standard on the 50. But upon looking just now, I see as you said, the adaptive is the option in question. I even thought I saw a review where the reviewer mentioned air suspension as an option.

Live and learn, thanks.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2022, 09:20 AM   #6
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
391
Rep
4,813
Posts

Drives: Fast ones
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Another one that came up today. I think the eDrive 40 may suit many who wants a more engaging driving experience.

Appreciate 1
Ken76.00
      01-07-2022, 03:35 PM   #7
unfoundnemo
Major
unfoundnemo's Avatar
1098
Rep
1,259
Posts

Drives: 2020 F92 M8
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M8  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Another one that came up today. I think the eDrive 40 may suit many who wants a more engaging driving experience.
This is true for the current z4 as well (30i vs M40i), so not surprised. More power, more weight, less-engaging. A true M version should be meant to fix that of it ever comes about.
__________________
2020 F92 M8
2020 G07 X7
Gone: 2018 F80 M3 | 2017 F15 X5 | 2016 F16 X6 | 2015 F36 4 series GC
Appreciate 2
JustChris13908.00
///M TOWN5421.00
      01-07-2022, 05:14 PM   #8
3RDSECTOR
Private First Class
255
Rep
112
Posts

Drives: 330i M-Sport (G20)
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Another one that came up today. I think the eDrive 40 may suit many who wants a more engaging driving experience.
This is true for the current z4 as well (30i vs M40i), so not surprised. More power, more weight, less-engaging. A true M version should be meant to fix that of it ever comes about.
Same with the 330i M-Sport vs the M340i. That 210lbs makes a difference in engagement and feel.
Appreciate 1
A6bullet332.00
      01-08-2022, 05:13 AM   #9
petrolhead.
Enlisted Member
petrolhead.'s Avatar
24
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Continental Europe

iTrader: (0)

How can they do a review of a new EV and NOT talk about charging speed? Going on about how in a few years the infotainment might not look so fresh any more…the biggest questionmark on this car is the maximum charging speed and how long it can sustain a high charging rate even under less ideal conditions. People want to eventually reach their destination, don't they?

The closest competition to the i40 would be the KIA EV6 - which charges considerably faster being an 800V system.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 05:21 AM   #10
BryanC84
Private First Class
United Kingdom
52
Rep
113
Posts

Drives: X5 45e M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Cheshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead. View Post
The closest competition to the i40 would be the KIA EV6 - which charges considerably faster being an 800V system.
Did you just compare a KIA to a BMW?
Appreciate 3
Ken76.00
BigHunk257.00
      01-08-2022, 08:55 AM   #11
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
369
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: G80 M-xDrive
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead. View Post
How can they do a review of a new EV and NOT talk about charging speed? Going on about how in a few years the infotainment might not look so fresh any more…the biggest questionmark on this car is the maximum charging speed and how long it can sustain a high charging rate even under less ideal conditions. People want to eventually reach their destination, don't they?

The closest competition to the i40 would be the KIA EV6 - which charges considerably faster being an 800V system.
in a few years when everyone tries to pull 30amp of the grid when they come back from work, the grid will be down or everyone will be charging slowly anyway...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 09:03 AM   #12
Hansn
New Member
8
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: E28 528i 1982 - G30 530e 2018
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Norway - Vestfold Telemark

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead. View Post
How can they do a review of a new EV and NOT talk about charging speed? Going on about how in a few years the infotainment might not look so fresh any more…the biggest questionmark on this car is the maximum charging speed and how long it can sustain a high charging rate even under less ideal conditions. People want to eventually reach their destination, don't they?

The closest competition to the i40 would be the KIA EV6 - which charges considerably faster being an 800V system.
Looking at the real numbers from tests with 350kw chargers that supports 800v on 800v cars tells a different story. Im not able to explain it from my back of the head knowledge but in the real world the effect of 800v vs 400v is minimal to non existant. The charging speed falls so quick it makes close to zero difference in charging time. You get 3 minutes of high kw charging then it drops like a rock, sometimes even lower than the 400v cars..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 09:34 AM   #13
kbsilver
Lieutenant
72
Rep
578
Posts

Drives: '11 335d & '17 340GT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansn View Post
Looking at the real numbers from tests with 350kw chargers that supports 800v on 800v cars tells a different story. Im not able to explain it from my back of the head knowledge but in the real world the effect of 800v vs 400v is minimal to non existant. The charging speed falls so quick it makes close to zero difference in charging time. You get 3 minutes of high kw charging then it drops like a rock, sometimes even lower than the 400v cars..
800 volts simply cuts the current in half between the charger and the car. At the per battery cell level, there is no difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:25 AM   #14
ghaffari46
Lieutenant
482
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: bmw m3 e90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: us

iTrader: (0)

I have an i8 and Tesla 3 in the garage, 2 different animals but one enjoyable feature they have in common is the clean point of view from driver standpoint, you just see the road and your view is not covered by part of the bonnet. And that's because for an electric car you don't need to put lots of stuff in front (and i8 it's sort of mid engine). You may not pay attention to this until you drive very slopped bonnet car.
I don't see why an electric car needs such a big and regular looking bonnet.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:46 PM   #15
Clefmonster
Word
Clefmonster's Avatar
26
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: F30 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
I have an i8 and Tesla 3 in the garage, 2 different animals but one enjoyable feature they have in common is the clean point of view from driver standpoint, you just see the road and your view is not covered by part of the bonnet. And that's because for an electric car you don't need to put lots of stuff in front (and i8 it's sort of mid engine). You may not pay attention to this until you drive very slopped bonnet car.
I don't see why an electric car needs such a big and regular looking bonnet.
It doesn't. I think this is just a relic of being based on the CLAR platform
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 12:03 AM   #16
ghaffari46
Lieutenant
482
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: bmw m3 e90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: us

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clefmonster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
I have an i8 and Tesla 3 in the garage, 2 different animals but one enjoyable feature they have in common is the clean point of view from driver standpoint, you just see the road and your view is not covered by part of the bonnet. And that's because for an electric car you don't need to put lots of stuff in front (and i8 it's sort of mid engine). You may not pay attention to this until you drive very slopped bonnet car.
I don't see why an electric car needs such a big and regular looking bonnet.
It doesn't. I think this is just a relic of being based on the CLAR platform
I had a 4 series loaner last week.
Drive a Tesla 3 or i8 and a 4 series back to back. You will see what do I mean.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST