Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-02-2022, 06:09 AM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
9833
Rep
7,639
Posts

Drives: E38 735i Individual, F48 X1
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Leicestershire, UK

iTrader: (1)

BMW iX 50 v BMW X7 M50i: Drag Race [Carwow]

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Carwow tests electric vs petrol in this BMW test of the iX 50 vs the mighty X7 M50i.

__________________


Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 3
      03-02-2022, 09:09 PM   #2
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
spool twice's Avatar
United_States
965
Rep
2,530
Posts

Drives: BMW M4cs
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa Bay, FL Area

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Wow, the X7 looks dated compared to the iX!
Appreciate 2
xmanpro2364.00
perezr10119.00
      03-02-2022, 09:35 PM   #3
usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
207
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: '08 550i, '13 S6
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Wow, the X7 looks dated compared to the iX!
Give me the front of the X7 and the rear of the iX and we're golden
Appreciate 11
xmanpro2364.00
Ibiza2931.50
GuyOh658.00
Jimjamz3871.00
jmack123951.50
Swappy496.50
FCX51878.50
nvsocr751.50
      03-02-2022, 09:38 PM   #4
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
2364
Rep
1,546
Posts

Drives: 21 M8C 21 X6MC 21 M3C
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area CA

iTrader: (0)

Will iX60 be crazier than this?

Damn - I see an electric m in my future.
__________________
2021 F93 M8C; 2021 F96 X6MC; 2021 G80 M3C; 2022 P992140
RETIRED: 2019 F82 M4C, 2018 F80 M3C, 2018 F86 X6M- black fire, 2015 F13 M6, 2015 F10 M5, 2012 F10 550i M-Sport, 2012 F13 650i X-Drive, 2009 E60 535i M-Sport, 2007 E60 530i
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2022, 09:40 PM   #5
Ibiza
Colonel
Ibiza's Avatar
United_States
2932
Rep
2,482
Posts

Drives: 21 F95 ZCP/22 G83 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanpro View Post
Will iX60 be crazier than this?

Damn - I see an electric m in my future.
Looking forward to the XM vs iX M60.
__________________
2021 F95 ZCP PCD- 2022 G83 PCD
Retired:2018 F85 PCD,2018 F83 ZCP- ED/PCD, 2015 X5 50i PCD, 2015 435 vert ED, 2011 X3 PCD, 2011 335is vert ED/PCD, 2007 X3is PCD, 2007 335i vert PCD, 2004 328i vert PCD
Appreciate 2
      03-02-2022, 09:55 PM   #6
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
Bahn360Photo's Avatar
United_States
997
Rep
2,354
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SoFlo

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Bmw electric is very impressive

M model lineup will be sad, quiet and very fast
__________________

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 2
H_T111.50
perezr10119.00
      03-03-2022, 02:32 AM   #7
Jimjamz
Lieutenant Colonel
Jimjamz's Avatar
Australia
3871
Rep
1,966
Posts

Drives: F87 CS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
2018 BMW X4 M40i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
Bmw electric is very impressive

M model lineup will be sad, quiet and very fast
Engineering good. Interior design good. Exterior Design?
Appreciate 1
Swappy496.50
      03-03-2022, 06:26 AM   #8
Luminor513
Major
Luminor513's Avatar
1105
Rep
1,418
Posts

Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

I was actually impressed with the X7 in the standing 1/4 mi race, I thought the iX was going to be much faster. In the 1 mi the iX electronic limiter prohibited a real run. Overall I'm impressed that the X7 held its own, however I can see the writing on the wall. Electric is our future whether we like it or not. The iX is clearly the faster car but I think the X7 did a respectable job attempting to keep pace.
__________________
2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino
2022 Audi E-tron S Mythos Blk/Blk Valcona
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 07:05 AM   #9
LittleJoe
Major
1034
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Reading, PA

iTrader: (0)

I own an X7 50i and it's as fast as any car should ever need to be in the US. So the iX being faster means little to me. The problem is the amount of premium gasoline it takes to move the X7. Compared to an iX or any other EV, it's wasting fuel and polluting the air. When millions and millions of buyers eventually switched to an EV, there will be a measurable difference in pollution and oil companies will become dinosaurs (ironic). As the previous poster stated, "Electric is our future whether we like it or not." He's right!
Appreciate 6
02M3ForMe2820.00
AlexFL7705.00
PhilD155.50
Refujeet246.00
MechX3M40i1000.00
      03-03-2022, 08:17 AM   #10
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
Doctor///M's Avatar
United_States
1705
Rep
4,192
Posts

Drives: 2022 AUDI RS6
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I own an X7 50i and it's as fast as any car should ever need to be in the US. So the iX being faster means little to me. The problem is the amount of premium gasoline it takes to move the X7. Compared to an iX or any other EV, it's wasting fuel and polluting the air. When millions and millions of buyers eventually switched to an EV, there will be a measurable difference in pollution and oil companies will become dinosaurs (ironic). As the previous poster stated, "Electric is our future whether we like it or not." He's right!
As it stands today, natural gas and coal are the main sources for electricity generation. Not to mention the scale of surface mining required to produce the batteries and convert the transportation fleet to electric. Getting off fossil fuels is a little more complicated than that, and still has a very important role to play in the transition, wherever it may take us.
__________________
2020 F87 M2 Competition /l\ LBB /i\ Executive Package
2013 E70 X5M /l\ Space Grey /i\ Full Silverstone Leather /l\ LED Headlights /i\ Comfort Access /l\ HUD /i\ Ventilated Seats /l\ 22" BBS SV
BMW CCA Member
Appreciate 1
LSM1053.00
      03-03-2022, 08:57 AM   #11
Achievement Tracker
Private
66
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: Jeep Trackhawk
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

Oh man, I kept asking myself, why is he sitting in a Toyota Minivan? Then I realized that was the iX, that side profile is no good :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 10:05 AM   #12
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
XsltAnalyst's Avatar
581
Rep
585
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

I was very surprised on how hard iX was pulling all the way to 125. I thought the X7 would win.

Not sure why they won't put a 2 speed transmission in any of the electric models like in Audi/Porsche models. Currently you'll be lucky to get 180 miles doing 75.
If I wanted a 7 seater couch on wheels then fully loaded 6 cylinder X7 (28 MPG at 75MPH) or merc GLS (24 MPG at 75MPH) would be my choice. Even the 8 cylinder X7 will get 24 MPG at 75MPH, which easily nets 450 miles range

Last edited by XsltAnalyst; 03-03-2022 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 10:51 AM   #13
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
156
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: iX 50
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
As it stands today, natural gas and coal are the main sources for electricity generation. Not to mention the scale of surface mining required to produce the batteries and convert the transportation fleet to electric. Getting off fossil fuels is a little more complicated than that, and still has a very important role to play in the transition, wherever it may take us.
I agree on the battery materials, there's no getting around that but as EVs scale up, recycling of those materials is improving significantly.

In regards to the sources of electricity generation, it's much better to generate electricity from fossil fuels and then power EVs than it is to burn fossil fuels in an ICE. EVs are *really* efficient for the energy used and you can produce electricity really well at scale in power plants. As a rough example, a US gallon of gasoline has about 33 kWh of power ('gasoline gallon equivalent'). So an X5's full tank has ~700 kWh of 'energy' in it compared to the iX's ~100 kWh. I don't know how accurate these numbers are and there are obviously losses throughout the energy system but it's widely accepted that the efficiency of EVs is significantly better than ICEs, which are quite inefficient at turning raw resources into driving force.

It'll all work a lot better as national power generation moves more to renewable sources, of course. There's been a *huge* change here in the UK over the last few years with renewables accounting for 43% of the power in 2020, double what it was in 2014 and renewables now account for more energy generation than fossil fuels here. Obviously, the US has a way to go yet and is going about it a lot slower than the rest of the developed world but c'est la vie.
Appreciate 3
Needsdecaf1195.50
jmack123951.50
Doctor///M1705.00
      03-03-2022, 11:11 AM   #14
Needsdecaf
Everything's Bigger in Texas!
United_States
1196
Rep
3,670
Posts

Drives: Porsche Tractor
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
I agree on the battery materials, there's no getting around that but as EVs scale up, recycling of those materials is improving significantly.

In regards to the sources of electricity generation, it's much better to generate electricity from fossil fuels and then power EVs than it is to burn fossil fuels in an ICE. EVs are *really* efficient for the energy used and you can produce electricity really well at scale in power plants. As a rough example, a US gallon of gasoline has about 33 kWh of power ('gasoline gallon equivalent'). So an X5's full tank has ~700 kWh of 'energy' in it compared to the iX's ~100 kWh. I don't know how accurate these numbers are and there are obviously losses throughout the energy system but it's widely accepted that the efficiency of EVs is significantly better than ICEs, which are quite inefficient at turning raw resources into driving force.

It'll all work a lot better as national power generation moves more to renewable sources, of course. There's been a *huge* change here in the UK over the last few years with renewables accounting for 43% of the power in 2020, double what it was in 2014 and renewables now account for more energy generation than fossil fuels here. Obviously, the US has a way to go yet and is going about it a lot slower than the rest of the developed world but c'est la vie.
This.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 11:58 AM   #15
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
2364
Rep
1,546
Posts

Drives: 21 M8C 21 X6MC 21 M3C
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area CA

iTrader: (0)

Electric or something else is the future. ICE is going away for good. There's gonna be a generation of drivers (very soon if not here already) that dgaf about what an engine sounds like or any of that. Im looking forward to it.

Hopefully we'll still all have the sound of rubber on road.
__________________
2021 F93 M8C; 2021 F96 X6MC; 2021 G80 M3C; 2022 P992140
RETIRED: 2019 F82 M4C, 2018 F80 M3C, 2018 F86 X6M- black fire, 2015 F13 M6, 2015 F10 M5, 2012 F10 550i M-Sport, 2012 F13 650i X-Drive, 2009 E60 535i M-Sport, 2007 E60 530i
Appreciate 1
PhilD155.50
      03-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #16
GOLFFRR
GOLFFRR's Avatar
9405
Rep
26,509
Posts

Drives: GOLFFRR cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: we sell BMWs to "ALL" US states

iTrader: (4)

car wow is the place for BMW drag races it seems
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:jmiller@stevethomasbmw.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 1
xmanpro2364.00
      03-03-2022, 12:15 PM   #17
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
156
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: iX 50
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanpro View Post
Electric or something else is the future. ICE is going away for good. There's gonna be a generation of drivers (very soon if not here already) that dgaf about what an engine sounds like or any of that. Im looking forward to it.

Hopefully we'll still all have the sound of rubber on road.
Hah! Speak for yourself, I hope the rubber becomes inaudible too! I didn't realise *quite* how much quieter modern EVs are until I test drove the iX (first full EV I've been in). Cabin volume isn't something I ever used to care about but in the last couple of years it's become so much more important to me, after the birth of my son. When it was just the wife and I, we'd be able to have conversations in the car just fine because she'd be in the front passenger seat. Since my son was born, she'll usually be in the back seat with him and it's a *lot* harder to chat. Obviously, I'm facing away from her so it makes it harder in general but I have to raise my voice, which feels unnatural and I can't hear what she's saying unless she raises her voice too. Now admittedly, our current ICE is quite old and newer cars are better but not significantly so. The silence of the iX was a *significant* factor in my decision to go with an EV. I think as our kids get older, it'll be more and more important.

The silence and smoothness of my first drive as a passenger in the iX (he handed over to me after a few minutes) was genuinely shocking and I had an initial jolt of travel sickness because I my brain couldn't understand how we were moving.
Appreciate 1
xmanpro2364.00
      03-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #18
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
Doctor///M's Avatar
United_States
1705
Rep
4,192
Posts

Drives: 2022 AUDI RS6
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
As it stands today, natural gas and coal are the main sources for electricity generation. Not to mention the scale of surface mining required to produce the batteries and convert the transportation fleet to electric. Getting off fossil fuels is a little more complicated than that, and still has a very important role to play in the transition, wherever it may take us.
I agree on the battery materials, there's no getting around that but as EVs scale up, recycling of those materials is improving significantly.

In regards to the sources of electricity generation, it's much better to generate electricity from fossil fuels and then power EVs than it is to burn fossil fuels in an ICE. EVs are *really* efficient for the energy used and you can produce electricity really well at scale in power plants. As a rough example, a US gallon of gasoline has about 33 kWh of power ('gasoline gallon equivalent'). So an X5's full tank has ~700 kWh of 'energy' in it compared to the iX's ~100 kWh. I don't know how accurate these numbers are and there are obviously losses throughout the energy system but it's widely accepted that the efficiency of EVs is significantly better than ICEs, which are quite inefficient at turning raw resources into driving force.

It'll all work a lot better as national power generation moves more to renewable sources, of course. There's been a *huge* change here in the UK over the last few years with renewables accounting for 43% of the power in 2020, double what it was in 2014 and renewables now account for more energy generation than fossil fuels here. Obviously, the US has a way to go yet and is going about it a lot slower than the rest of the developed world but c'est la vie.
Agreed with all of the above. The UK has also seen record increases run energy costs during the same period. Recognizing the validity of all of your points, from a policy standpoint the US is not prepared to power the grid exclusively on renewables. At least not in a way that the majority of Americans can afford. Same goes for the raw materials to support infrastructure and the transportation fleet. There is a happy medium to be found that combines all the market forces at play.
__________________
2020 F87 M2 Competition /l\ LBB /i\ Executive Package
2013 E70 X5M /l\ Space Grey /i\ Full Silverstone Leather /l\ LED Headlights /i\ Comfort Access /l\ HUD /i\ Ventilated Seats /l\ 22" BBS SV
BMW CCA Member
Appreciate 1
PhilD155.50
      03-03-2022, 10:52 PM   #19
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
Bahn360Photo's Avatar
United_States
997
Rep
2,354
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SoFlo

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
Bmw electric is very impressive

M model lineup will be sad, quiet and very fast
Engineering good. Interior design good. Exterior Design?
Ehh I know

Maybe the hope is that people will get used to it.

Now offer with that color changing paint and people will overlook its roughness
__________________

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 09:13 AM   #20
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
156
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: iX 50
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
Ehh I know

Maybe the hope is that people will get used to it.

Now offer with that color changing paint and people will overlook its roughness
I know it's hard to believe but honestly, when you see an iX in person, you'll likely be surprised at how 'normal' it looks. Almost all of the reviewers have said it looks better in person and the sentiment is shared by most potential buyers that have seen one. The production shots and the 3d rendering in the configurator in particular make it look much more 'out there' than it actually is. The one I test drove was a white one, which is one of the most 'out there' colours and I was genuinely surprised at how normal the car looked. I saw a black one out driving a couple of days ago and it completely blended in with all the other cars, I only noticed because I like to try to work out which X model BMW SUVs are (a stupid 'game' that I'm terrible at).
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2022, 09:14 AM   #21
Needsdecaf
Everything's Bigger in Texas!
United_States
1196
Rep
3,670
Posts

Drives: Porsche Tractor
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX

iTrader: (0)

I was actually shocked at how the iX was pulling away as they went down the line. Normally the EV gets the jump off the line due to the instant response and strong torque, and then gets reeled in before either winning by a bit or ultimately losing.

Strong showing by the iX.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 10:51 AM   #22
CERF04ZHP
Enlisted Member
CERF04ZHP's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 / F31 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Looks like that X7 needs the N63 software update!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST