Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

03-11-2022, 05:05 AM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

BMW i4 M50 eDrive - POV Test Drive [eDriveDNA]

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Here we join eDriveDNA for a POV test drive of the i4 M50.

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 09:41 AM   #2
thevex67
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Dravit Gray/BK G26 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
Here we join eDriveDNA for a POV test drive of the i4 M50.

What color is that?
2003 Carbon Bk/BK E46 Coupe (SMG) (traded-in)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 09:46 AM   #3
Tim Callahan
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 quattro, E90 325iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevex67 View Post
What color is that?
Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 12:36 PM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

looks good in BG

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 02:44 PM   #5
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

BMW was always known for their beautiful bold dashboard and cockpit design. What is wrong with the designers these days. That display on the i4 looks like someone taped it with dock-tape to the dash... It is such a stupid and ridiculous design. They couldn't build the dashboard around the display as they did with the old gauges on the previous models and give that cockpit a nice sporty design?

I think BMW is going backwards and they will be losing clients with these stupid new designs including what we are seeing with the 7 series.
Appreciate 1
KoenG1417.50
      03-15-2022, 03:11 PM   #6
jeff2.0t
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i, 2019 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post

4. You complain about range. The majority of people don't drive 200 miles a day. For the 5% or less that do they need to charge at their destination or get a different car. You don't build anything for the 5% and stick the 95% with the bill for stuff they don't need.
OP need a plane
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 04:17 PM   #7
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
...I don't hate those 18's
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 08:19 PM   #8
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafelabdal View Post
Exactly. The 4 series gran coupe is not a bad looking BMW with a reasonable starting MSRP $46,000 (yes, base engine is 4 cylinder but its is MORE THAN ENOUGH for 99% of the population. It is a turbo and last time I checked, the speed limit is still between 65-75 om major US freeways/highways. So don't get me started on why you need more power when the car can do sub 6 seconds from 0-60.

The i4 production looks NOTHING like the concept version, a complete let down. The interior is completely different from concept, no panoramic full glass roof, the material is different, the lines, the seats, the surfaces, etc. The exterior remained EXACTLY the same as with the 4 series gran coupe.

Is it that hard to make some design changes to at least differentiate the i4 from the 4 series gran coupe? Given that you are paying between $10K-$20K above the 4 series gran coupe price? that's ridiculous.

Literally, the only change implemented is a silly after-thought iPad screen (which has some lag by the way) and stick it on top of the dashboard, that's its.

Zero innovation in terms of driverless autonomy or lack their of. You would think a new electric model that will go well into the mid 2020s should have at least meaningful improvement in current driver autonomy feature. But no, same as the rest of the model line up, come on.

And lets not forget, BMW does not have Tesla's charging infrastructure and won't for the foreseeable future. One would counter you can charge at home? Sure, yet that's another $1k-$2k to get the fastest charger setup and installation.

All in all, the high price tag does not offset the shortcomings mentioned above (lack of design, lack of distinction, lack of new features, abysmal electric range, lack of driverless autonomy, etc.)

If you think you are saving on gas money, you are not because you are already paying a premium upfront for the price.

Don't misunderstand my points above, I am pro clean energy and I believe that a combination of electric + other sources of energy will be the future of transportation, no argument here.

But, look for real innovations, design, and technology in electric cars in 2030. My 2 cents.
1. The base is a 4 cylinder but BMW also makes a turbo 6 with close to 400hp and all wheel drive. Do not compare an entry level GC to the EV a better comparison would be the M440i xDrive. The difference is about $10k for a fully loaded EV but subtract $7500 and any local money and a M50 comes in at about the same price.

So if you configure them the same and take into account the tax credits, it's a wash (US).

2. Driverless tech and infotainment. You clearly haven't read much on the forward and rearward radar and sensors at the corners. The 360 degree cameras that are also used for ADAS. Traffic Jam Assist allows hands free in traffic as long as you pay attention. In car camera monitors the driver alertness. Hands free reversing out of parking spaces. HUD, etc.

Also GPS aware adaptive regen.
Synchronous electric motors with no rare earth metals.

3. BMW partnered with Electrify America for free DC charging for two years. Maybe not Tesla infrastructure, but Tesla isn't free anymore. You also pay more away than you do at home. You don't need to pay for a L2 charger if you have a dryer hookup in your garage. Some of us already have L2 chargers at home, so it doesn't matter.

4. You keep talking about all the stuff that are negatives but,

Lack of design? You keep saying that. Economy of scale also dictates design. Separate design elements no shared with other models increase the price you are already complaining about. How much more are you willing to pay for a separate design?

Lack of autonomous features. See above. Better than Tesla FSD that isn't. I won't get into this debate but Tesla can never be full self driving because the cameras have no redundancy and the are.blind in fog.

Look at MobileEye, Cruise or Nvidia for a real system. (BMW uses MobileEye).

I just loaded a TM3P and costed it out $75k with FSD.

A loaded M50 is $79k, but you get leather, premium paint, HUD, laser headlights, adaptive suspension and a host of other stuff you can't get on a TM3P. If you factor in the tax credit an M50 is now cheaper than the Tesla. Go figure...