Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Hardware Differences and Observations Between Different iX Models / Options

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I gained access to parts lists for the iX and have done some quick checks to determine differences between models and options. Here's a list of what I've found so far:

Drive motors: 40 and 50 share the exact same motors. M60 has a different rear motor.

Air struts: all the same across all three models

Parking Pro Vs Plus hardware: Same cameras and sensors. After 03/22 a new camera control module is used (until 07/22). The control unit for the parking pro/plus is the same part though.

Driving Assistant Plus vs Pro: numerous hardware differences between them so retrofits will likely be difficult or impossible. Pro uses two radars (one long range, one short range) where plus uses a single radar.

Seat wiring: Interestingly there's only a single harness listed, with an adapter lead for seat ventilation which means plugs for missing options should be present.

Interior Camera: This is part of the roof function centre and there are a 30 different versions of this based on equipment level so retrofitting the camera would require swapping out the entire unit.

Sky lounge/Eclipse Roof: $10k retail price for the glass alone.

Self Driving: There's a version of the front windscreen that's specifically for an option called BMW FULLY AUTONOMOUS DRIVING with option code S5DYA
Bird~Dawg142.50
ScullyD5160.50
asrgt40.50
volodp196.50
q_e36.00
slampert162.00
ubchariot101.50
B530e283.50
spuntyb4054.50
The_Werm212.00
Salespunk1745.00
Frosty779.00
Dr.Deep1827.00
1230vani648.50
LittleJoe1064.00
2srsman68.00
BigHunk269.50
      05-16-2022, 08:43 PM   #2
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
I gained access to parts lists for the iX and have done some quick checks to determine differences between models and options. Here's a list of what I've found so far:

Drive motors: 40 and 50 share the exact same motors. M60 has a different rear motor.

Parking Pro Vs Plus hardware: Same cameras and sensors. After 03/22 a new camera control module is used (until 07/22). The control unit for the parking pro/plus is the same part though.

Driving Assistant Plus vs Pro: numerous hardware differences between them so retrofits will likely be difficult or impossible. Pro uses two radars (one long range, one short range) where plus uses a single radar.

Seat wiring: Interestingly there's only a single harness listed, with an adapter lead for seat ventilation which means plugs for missing options should be present.

Interior Camera: This is part of the roof function centre and there are a 30 different versions of this based on equipment level so retrofitting the camera would require swapping out the entire unit.

Self Driving: There's a version of the front windscreen that's specifically for an option called BMW FULLY AUTONOMOUS DRIVING with option code S5DYA
What is the functional difference between Driving Assistant Plus vs Pro (i think the M60 in the US comes standard with Plus?)

Also does that mean seat ventilation could be retroactively installed on call cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 08:57 PM   #3
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
What is the functional difference between Driving Assistant Plus vs Pro (i think the M60 in the US comes standard with Plus?)

Also does that mean seat ventilation could be retroactively installed on call cars?
With enough money anything is possible, but seat ventilation is particularly difficult since it has different seat foam. It's not worth the effort. Lumbar and massage are a different story though since thy share a common pad so retrofitting that should be easy enough.

Pro can store parking routines and execute them automatically. It also has longer reverse assist (I stand to be corrected though)
      05-16-2022, 09:10 PM   #4
asrgt
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Interesting when I ordered I don't recall there been an option between
Driving Assistant Plus vs Pro. Was my understanding all cars in AU and possible NZ came with Pro standard ?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 09:17 PM   #5
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrgt View Post
Interesting when I ordered I don't recall there been an option between
Driving Assistant Plus vs Pro. Was my understanding all cars in AU and possible NZ came with Pro standard ?
There is a difference between Driving Assistant Plus/Pro and Parking Assistant Plus/Pro I think.

Pretty sure Driving Assistant Pro (5AU) is standard in NZ/AU, and Parking Assistant Professional (5DW) became standard in NZ from late March 2022 production.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 09:33 PM   #6
asrgt
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ View Post
There is a difference between Driving Assistant Plus/Pro and Parking Assistant Plus/Pro I think.

Pretty sure Driving Assistant Pro (5AU) is standard in NZ/AU, and Parking Assistant Professional (5DW) became standard in NZ from late March 2022 production.
Yeah ok that was my understanding as well. My order completed production Friday last week so will be interesting to confirm any differences if any between cars in our region when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 12:00 AM   #7
wolfverine
Private
Rep
Drives: iX 40 MSprt; X6 40i; 640iGC

Tks for the info!

On the parking assist pro, mine is a late March production date but still optioned with parking assist plus. From what you've shared, seems like hardware wise is similar and could be s/w update to enable to pro from the plus.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 12:03 AM   #8
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfverine View Post
Tks for the info!

On the parking assist pro, mine is a late March production date but still optioned with parking assist plus. From what you've shared, seems like hardware wise is similar and could be s/w update to enable to pro from the plus.

Quote:

Shame you can't SW update from plus to pro based on this! Bit disappointing tbh!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 12:08 AM   #9
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

BMW do publish model update information on their BMW Press website. Here is the latest one affecting the iX: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...of-spring-2022
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 1
AshD100.50
      05-17-2022, 09:21 PM   #10
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:

Last official word I had from BMW is that 5DW is not available in NZ yet. It's only being offered after the M60 version launches. Cars ordered now still get 5AU.
      05-17-2022, 10:36 PM   #11
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Last official word I had from BMW is that 5DW is not available in NZ yet. It's only being offered after the M60 version launches. Cars ordered now still get 5AU.
I have the new price list (came out yesterday to dealers, not on the website yet) which includes the updated 40, 50 and M60 pricing on it. It also lists that 5DW as standard on the M60, but optional on the others. 5DW is definitely available on the iX 50 though, my iX 50 Order Bank order showed this as confirmed and there was no extra charge for some reason.

Last edited by JonoNZ; 05-17-2022 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 11:02 PM   #12
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Some other news: The increasing rate and uncertainty around options being deleted and lead times meant I've decided to take an M60. Fully loaded. I believe it's on the water and will be here in July. Just waiting on the vessel/voyage details. Build date was 2022-03-29. Exciting!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 12:10 AM   #13
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Some other news: The increasing rate and uncertainty around options being deleted and lead times meant I've decided to take an M60. Fully loaded. I believe it's on the water and will be here in July. Just waiting on the vessel/voyage details. Build date was 2022-03-29. Exciting!
Nice! Good luck getting the info though. For some reason BMW NZ is very reluctant to share this.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 12:39 AM   #14
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nice! Good luck getting the info though. For some reason BMW NZ is very reluctant to share this.
Probably because they get tired of customers like me tracking the thing constantly and knowing more about it's movements than they do...and the pressure of customer expectations.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 01:51 AM   #15
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40 2022

Quote:
BMW do publish model update information on their BMW Press website. Here is the latest one affecting the iX: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...of-spring-2022
Wondering if the park assistance pro is available via OTA. My current one enroute to the UK has a plus and can definitely make use of the pro feature on a daily basis
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 03:27 AM   #16
UltimateMoneyShifter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive50

@hugo_nz: My iX 50 has the kick sensor delete for the tailgate. Do you know if the necessary parts can be retrofitted relatively easily?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 03:54 AM   #17
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateMoneyShifter View Post
@hugo_nz: My iX 50 has the kick sensor delete for the tailgate. Do you know if the necessary parts can be retrofitted relatively easily?
Yeah shouldn’t be a problem. It’s a fairly common retrofit in the BMW lineup although it doesn’t show up under the list of official retrofits.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 04:32 AM   #18
Rickardg
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: iX xDrive40

Quote:
Yeah shouldn’t be a problem. It’s a fairly common retrofit in the BMW lineup although it doesn’t show up under the list of official retrofits.
Have you heard about anybody managed to do any kind of coding or programming on an iX?
My understanding is that the signing of files are done at BMW backend and not locally in your PC. That would make retrofitting and coding are more or less impossible.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 04:36 AM   #19
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickardg View Post
Have you heard about anybody managed to do any kind of coding or programming on an iX?
My understanding is that the signing of files are done at BMW backend and not locally in your PC. That would make retrofitting and coding are more or less impossible.
I have extensive experience with retrofits and coding so you can be sure that I’ll give it a go as soon as I get my iX. Ive not seen any coding threads related to the iX though.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 05:56 AM   #20
Rickardg
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: iX xDrive40

Quote:
I have extensive experience with retrofits and coding so you can be sure that I’ll give it a go as soon as I get my iX. Ive not seen any coding threads related to the iX though.
Good that you on it
Hardly any CAFs in the PSDZ. E-Sys reads SVT but its not possible to read coding data.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 06:33 PM   #21
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm not up-to-date with coding modern BMWs, but I did a bit with E-Sys back in the day with my F30 335i, I seem to recall towards the end of that things were getting pretty tricky with server-side signing of some option codes etc.

I can't wait to see what you discover with your iX.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 10:18 PM   #22
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshD View Post
Wondering if the park assistance pro is available via OTA. My current one enroute to the UK has a plus and can definitely make use of the pro feature on a daily basis
It's not available at the moment but for compatible models (March build onwards), it should become available as an OTA update later on in the year. I'm not sure when in March the change was meant to happen though. I was talking to a dealer back in early March about this and he found some internal dealer-hq correspondence from the head of BMW systems or something, that confirmed this was the plan. Models built prior to March were unlikely to be able to get the update though. It was something I was specifically looking into as it's a feature I'm interested in but I'd been looking at a model that was almost the specifications I wanted but ready for delivery back in March.

We live in London and have a small courtyard garden that we can also park in. We'll usually be parking on the street but if we ever need a charge, we'll put it in the garden and park it overnight. I really like the idea of it being able to park itself though and get itself out, so I'm keen to try that out. It'd likely need 4 manoeuvres in total - when already parked, move back to make room for gates to open, then one to drive out and the same two steps in reverse for when coming home. I'm not expecting it to work but it's the kind of thing I at least really want to try!!
Appreciate 0