Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

07-06-2022, 11:08 AM   #1
breadman2
Rep
Drives: iX (soon)

New USA recall?

Has anyone heard anything about a new recall in the USA? I was supposed to pick my new iX 50 up from the dealer today and they just called and said there was a new recall and they couldn't deliver it. No details yet - he just said he would email me when he knew more.

I can't find anything online so I'm curious if there is actually a new recall or they just noticed one of the older ones at the last minute (which is frustrating given they've had the car for a week since I was travelling).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 11:31 AM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I think there is (or was) a Stop Sale on just about every US inbound iX recently - reason yet unknown. I've heard issues related to reprogramming the TCU to airbag related, or both, or something else. Standing by....
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2022, 11:40 AM   #3
kid2010
Private
Rep
Drives: iX 2022

Yeah two new recalls were issued yesterday, one for Valet Parking Mode, and one for Air Bag Control Unit (different from the last one lol).

Currently there is no remedy available, so we might need to wait a bit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      07-06-2022, 03:46 PM   #4
saidy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

Does anybody have experience with how long it usually takes to "implement this Safety Recall" (Q10,Q8)?

I'm wondering what "parts and tools" are required for an update. Surely the service departments have these tools available already given this is not the first batch of iX's to arrive and that there was a previous recall for the same unit?

Naively, a software update is "plug in, hit update, wait, test" and the Internet makes shipping updates (to the service departments) pretty quick. Interested to know reality though - why is it not that simple?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 03:51 PM   #5
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saidy View Post
Does anybody have experience with how long it usually takes to "implement this Safety Recall" (Q10,Q8)?

I'm wondering what "parts and tools" are required for an update. Surely the service departments have these tools available already given this is not the first batch of iX's to arrive and that there was a previous recall for the same unit?

Naively, a software update is "plug in, hit update, wait, test" and the Internet makes shipping updates (to the service departments) pretty quick. Interested to know reality though - why is it not that simple?
its probably going to be pushed over the air, its more federal regulation that a car can't be sold until there is a fix. They are probably working on a fix as of now, but development of the software fix might not yet be completed.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 04:04 PM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by saidy View Post

The associated letter to owners says "Remedy is available," so I'm assuming the fix is the one hour at the dealer for reprogramming. The issue just appears to be a warning light in the instrument cluster that apparently doesn't illuminate when it should if there is a fault in the airbag. Sounds like a simple fix.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 04:48 PM   #7
Jackson_88Rising
Rep
Drives: iX 2022

I was trying to take delivery today as well but was cancelled because of the recall. They say there's currently no remedies, but trying to get one within 48hrs. Wonder if anyone heard anything more from dealers?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 06:59 PM   #8
mcl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3, 2022 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
The associated letter to owners says "Remedy is available," so I'm assuming the fix is the one hour at the dealer for reprogramming.
I thought that as well, but ...

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s....php?t=1932589
      07-06-2022, 07:08 PM   #9
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl View Post
This is the owners letter associated with Recall Campaign No. 22V-240, dated June 2022 (once you search your VIN on the recall site), posted from BMW.com/recall:

With FAQs:

So something is amiss from BMW or the dealer, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is mass confusion, and at least somewhere, some SA will say "Never heard of it." It's the BMW way....
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 22V-240.pdf (1,013.4 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Paladin1; 07-06-2022 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
mcl117.00
      07-06-2022, 07:15 PM   #10
saidy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Probably a communication issue with the dealership. FWIW, my dealership also thinks it's not ready.

However, good to hear that the remedy is actually ready so we won't have to wait on development etc. Thanks for sharing the letter.
Appreciate 1
mcl117.00
      07-06-2022, 07:43 PM   #11
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Somewhat resolved by contacting BMW CS. The agent informed me there are actually 3 recalls - first is a glitch in the Charging Module (presumably software as well), second and third are the known issues with the Valet Module (also airbag related I believe) and the Airbag Warning recall. My car is at BMW's Vehicle Distribution Center at Sparrows Point near Baltimore getting all three fixes (there since 27 Jun) - ETC currently unknown - and will be released when completed. He recommended getting an update next week (as a time frame), but didn't project a final date. I assume BMW is working on it with great alacrity, but just an assumption. Will keep posting my experiences....

Relatively new VDC:

Last edited by Paladin1; 07-06-2022 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
TechCTU767.50
      07-07-2022, 02:15 PM   #12
thecoloradokid
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo4s

Any one have an update on these recalls? Anyone pick up a car today?

It took BMW over 3 weeks to get my car off the ship transport to the greater Denver area, and it arrived yesterday, the day the recall was issued. The dealership has not shared an update with me for an ETA on getting the updated details to fix the recall.

It is like some greater power out there does not want me to have this car!! If it had not taken BMW over three weeks to ship the car, it would be in my garage awaiting a recall as opposed to being stuck in a service center with no new information on when it will be released for sale.

This is the first time in over 10 years I have owned a BMW, and the order and delivery process do not leave me impressed compared to what I have experienced recently with other German motorsport brands.

Last edited by thecoloradokid; 07-07-2022 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 02:23 PM   #13
venom21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50 Tesla MYP Prev: 530e

My SA has no clue, he asks BMW Canada three times a day and texts me the same response. “They are working on it, no timeline yet.” FML.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 03:18 PM   #14
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I suppose the most confusing thing is, it's not exactly a "new" car - worldwide release 11/21. And a few miles have been put on these cars since, even though the US release was 3/22. This is the first car that I have owned (assuming I ever do) that will have had three recalls after production and before I ever saw it. So far. Not an encouraging start for BMW's "flagship EV." Stuff happens, I understand. But I don't get a sense of urgency from BMW, which leads me back to a concern I have expressed before - that Corporate ("Big") BMW perhaps hadn't really cared about their new EV division, at least to the point of anticipating, or hoping for, or encouraging its success. I think the Bavarian Barons were really surprised and caught on the hop at the public interest so far, and the surprising proliferation of new EVs across brands, in spite of their token investment, and are perhaps in the embryonic stages of rethinking their traditional hide-bound philosophy - witness the breathless projection of future "i's" in the lineup. The iX was a trial cannonball, that has put them off their jäegerschnitzel and schnapps, and startled them with its infant success. Just not soon enough or sincere enough yet, but maybe....
Appreciate 1
TechCTU767.50
      07-07-2022, 03:44 PM   #15
thecoloradokid
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo4s

Paladin1, thanks for the optimism!!!! hahahahhahahahahaha

I was one of the first ones in the US to get a Porsche Taycan, so I am used to Porsche service and efficiency in wanting the Taycan to be the example to show how Porsche is prioritizing the swing to mostly EVs. I had some early issues, but Porsche always addressed them quickly, and compensated me for the inconvenience.

I do agree with you in that I am not seeing the same sense of urgency out of BMW to rectify issues. I mean, I have never experienced a recall without a solution already in place. Meanwhile, we are approaching a month since the car was dropped off in SoCal and I still have not closed the deal.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15556.00
slampert162.00
      07-07-2022, 03:55 PM   #16
Allojax
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 50i

Recall

I was supposed to take delivery today, but that was cancelled. I haven't heard any updates, other then no one seems to know anything.

Anyone know anything?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 04:23 PM   #17
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

The way I read the recall data sheets is the issue is from the module programming from the supplier and they are having difficulty reprogramming the modules. Maybe the fix was to get new modules as the reprogramming does not work. My car does not have a stop sale and maybe that's why it sat for so long in quality control. Hard to tell until we know more.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 04:48 PM   #18
Adrew777
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 iXM60

How would you know if you had a stop sale?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 05:01 PM   #19
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrew777 View Post
How would you know if you had a stop sale?
If you have not picked up your car, call your SA.

If you have your car, it's a recall and go to BMW page, owners and click on recall and put in your vin.
Appreciate 1
slampert162.00
      07-07-2022, 05:54 PM   #20
saidy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I suppose the most confusing thing is, it's not exactly a "new" car - worldwide release 11/21. And a few miles have been put on these cars since, even though the US release was 3/22. This is the first car that I have owned (assuming I ever do) that will have had three recalls after production and before I ever saw it. So far. Not an encouraging start for BMW's "flagship EV." Stuff happens, I understand. But I don't get a sense of urgency from BMW, which leads me back to a concern I have expressed before - that Corporate ("Big") BMW perhaps hadn't really cared about their new EV division, at least to the point of anticipating, or hoping for, or encouraging its success. I think the Bavarian Barons were really surprised and caught on the hop at the public interest so far, and the surprising proliferation of new EVs across brands, in spite of their token investment, and are perhaps in the embryonic stages of rethinking their traditional hide-bound philosophy - witness the breathless projection of future "i's" in the lineup. The iX was a trial cannonball, that has put them off their jäegerschnitzel and schnapps, and startled them with its infant success. Just not soon enough or sincere enough yet, but maybe....
Well said.

I wish they’d communicate better. These cars aren’t cheap. Clearly they don’t feel the need to work to win customers. I’m here for the car, but the sales experience has been unpleasant.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00
      07-07-2022, 08:25 PM   #21
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

My car arrived at the port in CA on Jun 30th, and has been sitting there since. Today I get an email from my dealer about the stop sale, guess that explains the lack of movement. I am chomping at the bit to get the car, but the gods have other ideas. Hopefully if this is simply software, they can get this resolved in the next few weeks, would hate to think how long it would take if parts are needed.
Appreciate 1
slampert162.00
      07-07-2022, 08:30 PM   #22
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
FWIW I was told today that it's software. Not entirely confident in that, however.
Appreciate 1
TechCTU767.50