Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-23-2022, 12:33 PM   #1
mbchris
Second Lieutenant
239
Rep
250
Posts

Drives: Volvo S90
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Dallas TX

iTrader: (0)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So I had some meetings I had to attend in San Antonio on Tuesday morning. I live in North Dallas. Here's my experience. Driving 300miles on consecutive days. In summary, I wouldn't hesitate to do a 300mile trip again that was planned. But, unless I had a lot of spare time, I'm less sure than before that I would want to go cross country where timeliness is a factor. There is just too much dependency on chargers working and being available – the car itself is a gem though.

Recommendations:
- Plan your route and stops. Use the restrooms and food stops near the charging stations for best time efficiency where possible.
- Usually you can only eat fast food. Since each charging stop will just be 30 min.
- Have some padding in case chargers are full or not working (I never had an issue with having to wait).
- Drive with Adaptive Braking mode on highways. This is the only mode I can see that has zero regen (regen is inefficient since you don't recover 100% of energy back).
- Speed. I drove with DAPP set to 5mph above the speed limit.
- If unfamiliar with EA chargers, allow time for learning to use those. I think it takes about 5-10 times using them before you become an expert to deal with all scenarios.
- Average usage about 3.5 miles per kWh. Tailwinds and Headwinds I think caused variance.
- Temperatures much above or below 70F will probably cause more power usage.
- Eco Pro Mode was too uncomfortable for us climate wise.

Depart Dallas: 2.40pm Monday. SOC 78%. Temperature about 75F.
Charge stop 1: Waco. Charged from about 30-80%. 24min. 39kWh. Charge speed 150kW initial to 60kW at end.
Dinner stop: picked up Jimmy John's. Took about 10 min. My son specifically wanted Jimmy John's.
Charge stop 2: Austin. Charged from about 25-50%. About 12 min.
UT Austin: passed UTA at about 6.40pm (4 hours after leaving)
Arrive North San Antonio: 7.45pm. SOC 22%. Average speed including stops about 60mph. Average consumption about 3.7miles per kWh.

I checked into the hotel, then I went to the charger in San Antonio to get back to 80%. That took just under 30 min. If I lived in San Antonio, I may have just plugged it in at home.
Attached Images
     

Last edited by mbchris; 10-23-2022 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 4
deutsch1001175.50
Raille55.50
AndrewC198910170.00
      10-23-2022, 12:39 PM   #2
mbchris
Second Lieutenant
239
Rep
250
Posts

Drives: Volvo S90
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Dallas TX

iTrader: (0)

Next Day. Return to Dallas after morning meetings. Used about 10% driving around San Antonio.

Depart San Antonio: 12pm Monday. SOC 70%. Temperature about 70F.
Lunch Stop Austin: Drove by Franklin BBQ. Forget it. Went to Tetsuya Ramen. Took about an hour.
Charge stop 1: Austin. Charged from about 35-80%. About 22 min.
Charge stop 2: Waco. Charged from about 35-70%. 15min. 26kWh added.
Dallas Downtown: Dallas at 6pm (6 hours after leaving). Rush hour
Arrive North Dallas: 6.45pm. SOC 24%. Average speed including stops, but excluding 1 hour long lunch, about 62mph. Average consumption about 3.2miles per kWh.
Attached Images
    

Last edited by mbchris; 10-23-2022 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 4
deutsch1001175.50
Jason35110.50
      10-23-2022, 08:21 PM   #3
scarletfever
New Member
13
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: i4 (hopefully)
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

"- Drive with Adaptive Braking mode on highways. This is the only mode I can see that has zero regen (regen is inefficient since you don't recover 100% of energy back)."

I thought you could essentially 'coast' in D mode with no regenerative braking? Is that not the case?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 10:31 PM   #4
mbchris
Second Lieutenant
239
Rep
250
Posts

Drives: Volvo S90
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Dallas TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletfever View Post
I thought you could essentially 'coast' in D mode with no regenerative braking? Is that not the case?
There is small amount of regen if you have it in D with Low mode. It simulates an automatic transmission in D by having some regen.

If you want to coast in D with zero regen, you should have your foot lightly applied to the accelerator. Such that you can balance out the slight regen. Which in reality is too much effort to get exactly right. You would have to monitor the dash to see it at 0 power. You can see it apply regen in the dash when coasting.

Last edited by mbchris; 10-23-2022 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
deutsch1001175.50
      10-24-2022, 08:52 AM   #5
Raille
Private
56
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: BMW i4 (hopefully this year)
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

I'll be doing a similar drive I think next month so good to know which chargers are being reliable.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 09:02 AM   #6
mbchris
Second Lieutenant
239
Rep
250
Posts

Drives: Volvo S90
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Dallas TX

iTrader: (0)

You can check the EA app in advance to see how many chargers in each location are operable.

It's possible to actually skip either Austin or Waco and get to the next charger, even just charging up to 80%. But it's a stretch, and you might have to conserve electricity by sticking to the limit, coasting more etc than comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 09:50 AM   #7
smatanovic
Second Lieutenant
133
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: The 215

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchris View Post
There is small amount of regen if you have it in D with Low mode. It simulates an automatic transmission in D by having some regen.

If you want to coast in D with zero regen, you should have your foot lightly applied to the accelerator. Such that you can balance out the slight regen. Which in reality is too much effort to get exactly right. You would have to monitor the dash to see it at 0 power. You can see it apply regen in the dash when coasting.
When in adaptive D mode, you will coast with zero regeneration as long as there is nobody in front of you.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 10:09 AM   #8
unfoundnemo
Lieutenant Colonel
unfoundnemo's Avatar
1637
Rep
1,872
Posts

Drives: 2022 i4 M50
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchris View Post
Recommendations:
- Usually you can only eat fast food. Since each charging stop will just be 30 min.
I've taken a few similar trips so far. I would add that you should try to find and take advantage of level 2 charging when possible. Many hotels, parking lots, etc., have them (I use PlugShare to find them).

My last three trips have included:

1. A parking garage at a stadium where charging was free since you paid out the nose to park anyway.
2. A downtown garage where charging was free for 4 hours while I grabbed brunch, walked my dog, and did a little shopping.
3. A hotel with a charger that was just $0.25/hr.

All three happen to be ChargePoint, but more importantly, all three eliminated a level 3 stop (better for the battery and my digestive system).
__________________
Current: 2022 i4 M50 | 2022 G07 X7
Gone: 2020 F92 M8 | 2020 G07 X7 | 2018 F80 M3 | 2017 F15 X5 | 2016 F16 X6 | 2015 F36 4 series GC

Last edited by unfoundnemo; 10-24-2022 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 02:10 PM   #9
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
586
Rep
1,597
Posts

Drives: F30 340 MSport
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CA, USA

iTrader: (6)

Just out of curiosity, for the free 30 min EA sessions, do you activate these through the bmw app or the EA app? My i4 won't be here for awhile still, but trying to get a feel for how the EA process will go. For reference, our Audi etron, we have to activate the EA charger from the Audi app.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 02:19 PM   #10
G99M5
Major
G99M5's Avatar
1223
Rep
1,460
Posts

Drives: G21 340 + Nissan Leaf 24kWh
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Australasia

iTrader: (0)

the most beautiful EV for the money right now.

unfortunately i have 3 teens and a dog! and wife.

Last edited by G99M5; 10-24-2022 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
Jason35110.50
Cos270376.50
      10-24-2022, 02:41 PM   #11
Creativepart
New Member
5
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: BMW 528i
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Just out of curiosity, for the free 30 min EA sessions, do you activate these through the bmw app or the EA app? My i4 won't be here for awhile still, but trying to get a feel for how the EA process will go. For reference, our Audi etron, we have to activate the EA charger from the Audi app.
After you pick up your car from the dealer you will receive an email with a special "invite" code and instructions.

You download the EA app, set up an account click the Premium Offers link and add that invite code and your VIN. You will also need to enter your credit card info for charges that should apply if you go beyond the 30 min limit.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 02:56 PM   #12
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
586
Rep
1,597
Posts

Drives: F30 340 MSport
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CA, USA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Just out of curiosity, for the free 30 min EA sessions, do you activate these through the bmw app or the EA app? My i4 won't be here for awhile still, but trying to get a feel for how the EA process will go. For reference, our Audi etron, we have to activate the EA charger from the Audi app.
After you pick up your car from the dealer you will receive an email with a special "invite" code and instructions.

You download the EA app, set up an account click the Premium Offers link and add that invite code and your VIN. You will also need to enter your credit card info for charges that should apply if you go beyond the 30 min limit.
Awesome. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 03:11 PM   #13
mbchris
Second Lieutenant
239
Rep
250
Posts

Drives: Volvo S90
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Dallas TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
I've taken a few similar trips so far. I would add that you should try to find and take advantage of level 2 charging when possible. Many hotels, parking lots, etc., have them (I use PlugShare to find them).

My last three trips have included:

1. A parking garage at a stadium where charging was free since you paid out the nose to park anyway.
2. A downtown garage where charging was free for 4 hours while I grabbed brunch, walked my dog, and did a little shopping.
3. A hotel with a charger that was just $0.25/hr.

All three happen to be ChargePoint, but more importantly, all three eliminated a level 3 stop (better for the battery and my digestive system).
Agree to the above. Also shopping malls, movie theaters also are now adding Level 2 chargers. Plugshare App is my go to app to find those chargers.

With Level 2 you can also go above 80% with less long term battery degradation than with Level 3 for the times you value the longer range.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2022, 03:54 PM   #14
ppointer
Captain
United_States
385
Rep
750
Posts

Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: FLL

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2022 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 335is  [0.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
2001 M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 328it  [0.00]
2009 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchris View Post
You can check the EA app in advance to see how many chargers in each location are operable.

It's possible to actually skip either Austin or Waco and get to the next charger, even just charging up to 80%. But it's a stretch, and you might have to conserve electricity by sticking to the limit, coasting more etc than comfortable.
What a great article! I especially liked your miles per kw. That seems to match what I have learned in my research so far.

I also agree it is one of the best looking EV's right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 04:13 PM   #15
note46
Second Lieutenant
71
Rep
268
Posts

Drives: 535i, M Coupe, 328d SW, i4
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Bay

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Awesome. Thank you!
You don't even need to wait for the special invite code. the code is your reservation number - model year of the car.

eg. your reservation number = 1234567
then your invite code is 1234567-23
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2022, 04:22 PM   #16
unfoundnemo
Lieutenant Colonel
unfoundnemo's Avatar
1637
Rep
1,872
Posts

Drives: 2022 i4 M50
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by note46 View Post
You don't even need to wait for the special invite code. the code is your reservation number - model year of the car.

eg. your reservation number = 1234567
then your invite code is 1234567-23
Had mine activated just before delivery... also had the car in myBMW and a few other things lined up since my CA activated connected drive while I was in route. It's a good way to keep the "genius" away so you could get on your way.
__________________
Current: 2022 i4 M50 | 2022 G07 X7
Gone: 2020 F92 M8 | 2020 G07 X7 | 2018 F80 M3 | 2017 F15 X5 | 2016 F16 X6 | 2015 F36 4 series GC
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 04:53 PM   #17
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
586
Rep
1,597
Posts

Drives: F30 340 MSport
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CA, USA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by note46 View Post
You don't even need to wait for the special invite code. the code is your reservation number - model year of the car.

eg. your reservation number = 1234567
then your invite code is 1234567-23
Had mine activated just before delivery... also had the car in myBMW and a few other things lined up since my CA activated connected drive while I was in route. It's a good way to keep the "genius" away so you could get on your way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by note46 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Awesome. Thank you!
You don't even need to wait for the special invite code. the code is your reservation number - model year of the car.

eg. your reservation number = 1234567
then your invite code is 1234567-23
This is great info! I will for sure set it up before I get the car seeing I have a bit of a drive back home and will need to charge en route.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 04:55 PM   #18
unfoundnemo
Lieutenant Colonel
unfoundnemo's Avatar
1637
Rep
1,872
Posts

Drives: 2022 i4 M50
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G99M5 View Post
the most beautiful EV for the money right now.

unfortunately i have 3 teens and a dog! and wife.
Same here (well 10,15, and 16). It's pretty rare that all of us are in the car anymore since the older ones seem to be more isolated with their activities. When we do, we have the SUV for that... more often, it's just the two adults + the 10 y/o and dog, or one of us chauffeuring the older two around which the i4 does well.

To demonstrate better... I got my newest X7 in May... I put 7,000 miles on that car between 5/2 and 8/2 (and 2000 miles on a certain coupe I had at the time). I got my i4 on 8/2. I have since put over 5,000 miles on the i4 and only 1,500 on the X7.

Obviously everyone's situation is different, but it's working just fine for me plus the 4 ladies in my life.
__________________
Current: 2022 i4 M50 | 2022 G07 X7
Gone: 2020 F92 M8 | 2020 G07 X7 | 2018 F80 M3 | 2017 F15 X5 | 2016 F16 X6 | 2015 F36 4 series GC
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 08:08 PM   #19
mbchris
Second Lieutenant
239
Rep
250
Posts

Drives: Volvo S90
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Dallas TX

iTrader: (0)

I actually had problems with the EA account since I switched from my ordered car to one someone didn't want. The VIN/production code even for my purchased car didn't work.

But a quick call to the iConcierge fixed it. You have to load $10 into the account though, for overage charges etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 08:34 PM   #20
G99M5
Major
G99M5's Avatar
1223
Rep
1,460
Posts

Drives: G21 340 + Nissan Leaf 24kWh
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Australasia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Same here (well 10,15, and 16). It's pretty rare that all of us are in the car anymore since the older ones seem to be more isolated with their activities. When we do, we have the SUV for that... more often, it's just the two adults + the 10 y/o and dog, or one of us chauffeuring the older two around which the i4 does well.

To demonstrate better... I got my newest X7 in May... I put 7,000 miles on that car between 5/2 and 8/2 (and 2000 miles on a certain coupe I had at the time). I got my i4 on 8/2. I have since put over 5,000 miles on the i4 and only 1,500 on the X7.

Obviously everyone's situation is different, but it's working just fine for me plus the 4 ladies in my life.
that's great to hear!

right now and for the foreseeable future, 6 things are always travelling together, mainly to the holiday house
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 08:51 AM   #21
GOLFFRR
GOLFFRR's Avatar
9325
Rep
26,466
Posts

Drives: GOLFFRR cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: we sell BMWs to "ALL" US states

iTrader: (4)

so your 80% charge was 228 miles?

what was the speed of the chargers you are using? Sorry if thats written already. what KW are they? Im assuming based on the display pic 120ish KW?
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:jmiller@stevethomasbmw.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 11:01 AM   #22
JMD
MGySgt
JMD's Avatar
United_States
249
Rep
789
Posts

Drives: See Garage List! ;-)
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NORVA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 M5  [0.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [0.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [0.00]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
How do you find the efficiency of the i4 40i? Is it comparable to that of the testing of some Youtubers? Some are saying it's just as efficient as the Model 3.
__________________
JMD
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST