Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-08-2022, 12:45 PM   #1
ppagiga
Major
557
Rep
1,079
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: MARS

iTrader: (0)

iX M60 vs Rivian R1S Comparison Review. Car and Driver glows about iX

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Glowing review of m60

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...tion-compared/
Appreciate 9
werdn559.50
Paladin12503.50
xueju1121320.00
JonoNZ470.00
Jason35733.00
awhk73.50
      12-08-2022, 01:38 PM   #2
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
TheBingoBalls's Avatar
Canada
3225
Rep
4,453
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Styling aside, the iX xDrive is not so bad value considering what you’re getting as an overall product - $90,000CAD isn’t so bad if you’re a buyer in this price bracket. Just saw a EQB for close to $86,650CAD. Comparing the two, you’re getting a whole lot more with the iX than what you’re getting with a EQB at similar price.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1001415.50
Bironf6.00
      12-08-2022, 01:40 PM   #3
M3WC
Colonel
2378
Rep
2,668
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ...location...location

iTrader: (0)

Sounds like Rivian needs to do some software upgrades to R1S. Like they said R1T drives amazing. R1S could need some tweaks to address it's shorter wheelbase. Although other reviewers have fully tested R1S and had different feelings.

Rivian is the only company besides Rimac selling quad motor EV's. Leading the way in EV drivetrains. R1S also has air suspension with 9.5in to 14in of ground clearance. Active dampers and hydraulic roll stiffness.

Very little in the article about R1S quad motors and the 8 different drive modes, suspension settings...etc. What drive mode and/or suspension settings were they in during testing, they completely change the characteristics of the vehicle. They complained about the nose going skyward when launching the R1S. Tells me they were probably doing launches in normal mode with soft suspension. R1T and R1S best launches in sport mode and stiff suspension, you will get no nose lift. The R1S is setup to do everything including offroad, so there a large variable between suspension settings. Lackluster article to be honest.

Last edited by M3WC; 12-08-2022 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2022, 02:16 PM   #4
falconey
Lieutenant
343
Rep
549
Posts

Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: atlanta

iTrader: (0)

The article mentions the IX can't coast. Can someone confirm if that's true or not?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 02:45 PM   #5
Paladin1
Something Wild Is Loose
Paladin1's Avatar
2504
Rep
3,044
Posts

Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconey View Post
The article mentions the IX can't coast. Can someone confirm if that's true or not?
I would suppose not - the iX M60 has the same ability to use adaptive regen as the 50, which coasts superbly.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1001415.50
      12-08-2022, 02:59 PM   #6
xueju1121
First Lieutenant
xueju1121's Avatar
United_States
320
Rep
329
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: McLean, Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I would suppose not - the iX M60 has the same ability to use adaptive regen as the 50, which coasts superbly.
True, I just wish there was a setting for free coast without any regen. It's more efficient on the highway.

I am looking at you, OTA update.
__________________
From X3 to X5M to X7 to X5M again to iX M60
Appreciate 1
Paladin12503.50
      12-08-2022, 03:34 PM   #7
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
ScullyD's Avatar
United_States
3998
Rep
2,072
Posts

Drives: BMW iX, M4 CSL
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconey View Post
The article mentions the IX can't coast. Can someone confirm if that's true or not?
Yeah coasts fine if you put it in D, with adaptive regen. If you put it in B, then it doesn't coast. Unless the iX M60 is different?!?

This review is correct, the chassis dynamics on the iX are just incredible. Has the same magic as some of the recent M CS cars, just a masterclass. I test drove a Model Y the other day, its pathetic by comparison.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 03:50 PM   #8
falconey
Lieutenant
343
Rep
549
Posts

Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I would suppose not - the iX M60 has the same ability to use adaptive regen as the 50, which coasts superbly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Yeah coasts fine if you put it in D, with adaptive regen. If you put it in B, then it doesn't coast. Unless the iX M60 is different?!?

This review is correct, the chassis dynamics on the iX are just incredible. Has the same magic as some of the recent M CS cars, just a masterclass. I test drove a Model Y the other day, its pathetic by comparison.
Ok thanks. Was curious since the i4 can coast in D. Seemed to be silly to not have that as driving option.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 04:50 PM   #9
hugo_nz
Major
hugo_nz's Avatar
1697
Rep
1,304
Posts

Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconey View Post
Ok thanks. Was curious since the i4 can coast in D. Seemed to be silly to not have that as driving option.
Here's the original press pack info related to coasting:

On the open road, meanwhile, the coasting function enhances comfort and efficiency, the car “freewheeling” with no drive power whenever the driver takes their foot off the accelerator. Adaptive adjustments according to the driving situation are also carried out when the navigation system’s route guidance function is not activated, precise control of the adaptive recuperation enabling instantaneous responses to changes in the driving situation. For example, activating the turn signal indicator while coasting immediately initiates recuperation. But when approaching junctions with traffic lights, Brake Energy Regeneration is cancelled if the lights turn from red to green.
__________________
Check out my Patreon

Current: iX Xdrive40 | MSport | 22" Bicolour | Amido Interior | Mineral White Metallic
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2022, 04:56 PM   #10
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
DocWeatherington's Avatar
United_States
2231
Rep
3,577
Posts

Drives: F90 CP
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Sounds like Rivian needs to do some software upgrades to R1S. Like they said R1T drives amazing. R1S could need some tweaks to address it's shorter wheelbase. Although other reviewers have fully tested R1S and had different feelings.

Rivian is the only company besides Rimac selling quad motor EV's. Leading the way in EV drivetrains. R1S also has air suspension with 9.5in to 14in of ground clearance. Active dampers and hydraulic roll stiffness.

Very little in the article about R1S quad motors and the 8 different drive modes, suspension settings...etc. What drive mode and/or suspension settings were they in during testing, they completely change the characteristics of the vehicle. They complained about the nose going skyward when launching the R1S. Tells me they were probably doing launches in normal mode with soft suspension. R1T and R1S best launches in sport mode and stiff suspension, you will get no nose lift. The R1S is setup to do everything including offroad, so there a large variable between suspension settings. Lackluster article to be honest.

Rivian has promise however they are cashed strapped, bleeding money and well can't deliver in a market that is new, overpriced, and workforce/part stressed so it's going to be rough. I think the review is fair, i have yet to see any bad review of the IX outside of looks and dislike of the lack of buttons.

This applies to all new EV startups... Rivians value is down 75%, so IDK is the SUV a rushed job to make sales. There are plenty of bad SUVs but how many bad pickups are on the market? A bad pickup in North America wont sell

If you test some ev's alone but test it next to something in the same class often you find faults.

90% of the suv market never goes of pavement... So the offroad is moot just as if they where to do a track test.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2022, 04:57 PM   #11
Pictor
Captain
United_States
450
Rep
653
Posts

Drives: 2020 M850i & 2020 X5 40i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M850i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Lackluster article to be honest.
That's been my experience with just about every review I've read from publications that traditionally review ICE vehicles. But it's nice to see that they include information on battery voltage and charging speeds.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 05:14 PM   #12
M3WC
Colonel
2378
Rep
2,668
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ...location...location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Rivian has promise however they are cashed strapped, bleeding money and well can't deliver in a market that is new, overpriced, and workforce/part stressed so it's going to be rough.
Rivian has over 13 billion cash on hand. They are fine. Once supply chain issues are sloved, their factories are ready to go full steam. Their product is on the leading edge of EV tech. They just need to scale up production next year and start hitting targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
This applies to all new EV startups... Rivians value is down 75%, so IDK is the SUV a rushed job to make sales. There are plenty of bad SUVs but how many bad pickups are on the market? A bad pickup in North America wont sell

If you test some ev's alone but test it next to something in the same class often you find faults.
C/D and others have stellar review for R1T. It is probably one of the best EV's on the market today, in another league than a F150 Lightning. No one is producing more advanced drivetrains. As far as the R1S, I put it in a different category than the iX. It is more of a Luxury offroader. At it highest suspension setting it has more ground clearance than a Wrangler. Rivian is building adventure vehicles, not full on luxury people movers. This comparo would be like comparing a Bmw X5 vs Defender 130, they are just different vehicles.

Last edited by M3WC; 12-08-2022 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 4
cbertels1113.50
Transfer5171.50
f80tanz162.50
      12-08-2022, 05:16 PM   #13
M3WC
Colonel
2378
Rep
2,668
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ...location...location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
That's been my experience with just about every review I've read from publications that traditionally review ICE vehicles. But it's nice to see that they include information on battery voltage and charging speeds.
I agree, has nothing really to do with the outcome. Both vehicles are very nice.

It seems the traditional auto reviewers are just not well versed in EV's and different tech in each vehicle. They seem skim over some huge details.

Last edited by M3WC; 12-08-2022 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 07:39 PM   #14
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
ScullyD's Avatar
United_States
3998
Rep
2,072
Posts

Drives: BMW iX, M4 CSL
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterBanks View Post
This is an apples and oranges comparison. The BMW is an SUV for comfortable fast highway driving and the occasional trip to the ski slopes. The Rivian is an SUV for comfortable highway driving and real off roading.
People are using their Rivians around town mainly, so it’s a valid comparison. If you want to use your EV off-road, you shouldn’t be looking at the iX at all.
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2022, 07:52 PM   #15
Pictor
Captain
United_States
450
Rep
653
Posts

Drives: 2020 M850i & 2020 X5 40i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M850i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
The 4 motor Rivian has the ability to power each wheel. The iX has the ability to power one wheel on each axle. That should tell you quite a bit of the intent for each. I do wish the iX had a limited slip rear differential.

These are different cars for different purposes. The R1S would be better compared against a Suburban or Yukon if they made them in an EV.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 09:20 PM   #16
Vater
New Member
30
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: iX xdrive50
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

This is very interesting to me and directly relevant. The only reason I have an iX is due to the fallout of my journey with Rivian.

Our family decided to go full electric and we need an SUV sized car. So I did some research and fell in love with the R1S. I got in a pre-order at the introductory price.

Rivian then infamously raised the price on pre-order holders, so I promptly canceled my order and bought an iX.

When they walked back their price increase on pre-order holders, I went ahead and got back in line - and I've been waiting since.

Meanwhile, my iX was ordered, built, and delivered from Germany. And I've been enjoying it for months now.

I'm still waiting for my R1S. They say it'll come in summer 2023........

I still want an off-road capable SUV. And the third row will be useful to me. I expect the acceleration and range to be on par with the iX. So I don't know if I'm going to keep the iX and sell the R1S for an immediate profit, sell the iX and roll the dice on making the R1S my main ride, or keep both.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2022, 09:53 PM   #17
LouisianaBimmerFan
New Member
63
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: BMW iX M60 Black, BMW M5
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Shreveport, LA

iTrader: (0)

KoolAid Drinker
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 11:17 PM   #18
Transfer
Major General
Transfer's Avatar
5172
Rep
5,880
Posts

Drives: M340i, Tesla MYP
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Issaquah, WA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterBanks View Post
This is an apples and oranges comparison. The BMW is an SUV for comfortable fast highway driving and the occasional trip to the ski slopes. The Rivian is an SUV for comfortable highway driving and real off roading.
Absolutely. I've had an R1S on order for over a year. If I was given an iX I would sell it outright. I'm tired of road only "SUVs". I want the fully off-road capable vehicle that is also fantastic on road.

Also, the iX would be better as a minivan. Yeah I said it.
Appreciate 1
M3WC2378.00
      12-08-2022, 11:43 PM   #19
BigEvan1923
Second Lieutenant
207
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: G07 M50i - old E46 M3 G01 M40i
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

while it doesn't handle nearly as well, the performance stats are tremendous for the m60 - .2 seconds slower to 60 and .1 slow in the quarter mile vs. the 190K Porsche Cayenne GT. Not too shabby in the go fast department (and yes I know EVs are fast but 6K pounds and 600+ hp are working well here). Could bode well for the XM
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 11:59 PM   #20
storm3163
Stormxxxx
storm3163's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: BMW iX
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vater View Post
This is very interesting to me and directly relevant. The only reason I have an iX is due to the fallout of my journey with Rivian.

Our family decided to go full electric and we need an SUV sized car. So I did some research and fell in love with the R1S. I got in a pre-order at the introductory price.

Rivian then infamously raised the price on pre-order holders, so I promptly canceled my order and bought an iX.

When they walked back their price increase on pre-order holders, I went ahead and got back in line - and I've been waiting since.

Meanwhile, my iX was ordered, built, and delivered from Germany. And I've been enjoying it for months now.

I'm still waiting for my R1S. They say it'll come in summer 2023........

I still want an off-road capable SUV. And the third row will be useful to me. I expect the acceleration and range to be on par with the iX. So I don't know if I'm going to keep the iX and sell the R1S for an immediate profit, sell the iX and roll the dice on making the R1S my main ride, or keep both.
Wow. I did the exact same thing for the same reasons ( except i dont need the 3rd row) expecting my R1S in 2024. It all depends how my iX holds up till then and if Rivian has a fix for all their repair/software issues whether I trade it in or also sell the Rivian for profit ifnits still profitable to sell in 2024
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 12:56 AM   #21
deutsch100
Major
deutsch100's Avatar
1416
Rep
1,388
Posts

Drives: Two iX M60, B8 Alpina, i4 e40
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Calabasas, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconey View Post
The article mentions the IX can't coast. Can someone confirm if that's true or not?
iX M60 in D with Regen set to low coasts quite well B mode in the iX, like the i4 is pretty much one pedal driving, with heavy and aggressive Regen.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 01:08 AM   #22
The J-Man
Captain
575
Rep
937
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

No doubt the ix is a competent vehicle, but nobody really wants to be seen in one. Everybody wants an R1S, though. The Rivian is the more mainstream desirable product.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST