BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing Another Post on Oil 1st Oil Change

04-12-2023, 02:18 PM   #1
kevinskitty
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540 xi

Another Post on Oil 1st Oil Change

I tried searching the posts and the rest of the internet and I just can get an answer that satisfies me. I did my first DIY oil change (49K miles). I have attached a pic of the underside of my 2017 540 xi and it seems to have 2 access holes that are missing covers.

It seems that the cover is different on this model year and engine and that there is no OEM part for the oil plug cover. I verified this with RealOEM.com with my VIN and the part is greyed out. There is no mention at all of the 2nd access panel existing or a cover for it (located on the left of the picture).

It seems like I should cover these holes if for nothing more than to keep road debris getting on top of the guard.

Does anyone have some wisdom on this to share?

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 10:22 PM   #2
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

I don't have wisdom to share but I can share the same ignorance. I have a 2020 M550i and am also missing both covers. Should I try to fit some covers in those spaces or are they unnecessary?
Appreciate 0