Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-28-2023, 01:11 AM   #1
xueju1121
Lieutenant
xueju1121's Avatar
United_States
588
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: McLean, Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
EQS 580 SUV vs iX M60 -- owner's comparison review

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Greeting gents,

My iX M60 is now officially crossing 28K miles, which means I have been driving, on average, 4,000 miles per month during my seven months of ownership. How time flies!

Two weeks ago, I finally pulled the trigger on a 2023 EQS 580 SUV, fully loaded with an MSRP of $149K.

Now I have been driving both for 14 days, and I would like to share my observations with you all.

Exterior Style:

Neither of them is pretty by ordinary standards, and both of them are designed in wind tunnels. That being said, the iX is more sporty. The EQS SUV is also longer and taller than the iX. Of course, the look is objective.

Interior Style:

The EQS “feels” more advanced, thanks to the standard Hyper Screen in 580 trim. The HVAC system in the EQS has more functions, including a HEPA filter and fragrance. Mine also comes with five zones system so I can individually control the temperature in the trunk/third row.

Quality-wise, I feel like the iX is actually built better. The EQS uses more premium materials in more places. For instance, leather-covered lower parts and suede headliner, but for some reason, the front passenger seat is squeaking. The iX is rattle free.

I am heading to the MB dealer tomorrow to see if they can fix the squeaking.

Quietness:

I have to give this to the EQS. Mine comes with the acoustic comfort package, which includes laminated glasses all around. This is one package that I wished BMW had offered. The duel pane glasses definitely suppress traffic and wind noise better.

That being said, I’m still surprised by how quiet the iX is, especially with single-pane glasses. BMW did a good job isolating the cabin.

Driving:

No doubt, the iX drives better. The EQS is more comfortable, and the airmatic suspension is brilliant. Some may like the feel. If you have driven a full-size Range Rover, you know the feeling. Very floaty.

However, the EQS has 10 degrees of rear-wheel steering, which makes a massive difference in city driving. The turning circle of the EQS is smaller than the A class. The iX only offers 2.5 degrees, which is still good since it is smaller than the enormous EQS.

Efficiency:

The iX is better. The 23 model year EQS doesn’t come with the heat pump or disconnect valve, so the winter range will be impacted more. The heat pump and the disconnecting functions will be standard for 24 model year and onward.

Overall, I’m satisfied with both. They are two very different E-SUVs, and they both meet the expectation of their target audience.

I know some of our forum members are considering and comparing the two. I wish my experience can help!

Cheers!
__________________
From X3 to X5M to X7 to X5M again to iX M60
Appreciate 25
darylp310168.00
moesess34395.00
Pictor724.50
rng67.50
Yorick123130.00
07e92106.00
deutsch1001938.00
stein_325i23995.00
volodp168.00
slampert156.00
spuntyb3831.00
jpf3401.50
grueber290.50
admranger2781.00
ricerboi364.00
Paladin13424.50
      04-28-2023, 01:32 PM   #2
Yorick123
Enlisted Member
130
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Romania

iTrader: (0)

I guess that eqs are for fammilies, because I had an issue when was trying to put all my life in the trunk of iX. It is really small for such a big car🫠

Btw, is it true, that eqs is pushing brake pedal while assisting driving functions are on?
Appreciate 2
xueju1121588.00
Minato0.00
      04-28-2023, 01:36 PM   #3
xueju1121
Lieutenant
xueju1121's Avatar
United_States
588
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: McLean, Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick123 View Post
I guess that eqs are for fammilies, because I had an issue when was trying to put all my life in the trunk of iX. It is really small for such a big car🫠

Btw, is it true, that eqs is pushing brake pedal while assisting driving functions are on?
The EQS is definitely bigger.

And yes, if your regen is set to D Auto (intelligent), the brake pedal will adjust automatically, which is bizarre. D Normal or No Regen doesn’t affect the brake pedal.

Assisting driving doesn’t affect the pedal, either.
__________________
From X3 to X5M to X7 to X5M again to iX M60
Appreciate 2
Yorick123130.00
deutsch1001938.00
      04-28-2023, 01:48 PM   #4
Yorick123
Enlisted Member
130
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Romania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueju1121 View Post
The EQS is definitely bigger.

And yes, if your regen is set to D Auto (intelligent), the brake pedal will adjust automatically, which is bizarre. D Normal or No Regen doesn’t affect the brake pedal.

Assisting driving doesn’t affect the pedal, either.
More than that, it is cool that your car has hepa filter. Must have in Europe for sure!
Appreciate 2
xueju1121588.00
volodp168.00
      04-28-2023, 02:01 PM   #5
xueju1121
Lieutenant
xueju1121's Avatar
United_States
588
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: McLean, Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick123 View Post
More than that, it is cool that your car has hepa filter. Must have in Europe for sure!
Correct.

There is a garbage disposal station on my usual commute route, and I can always smell it in the iX. I cannot smell it at all in the EQS, which is a huge plus for me. I can always turn on internal circulation in the iX, but the iDrve 8 is not making it very easy while driving.
__________________
From X3 to X5M to X7 to X5M again to iX M60
Appreciate 1
Yorick123130.00
      04-28-2023, 02:03 PM   #6
Yorick123
Enlisted Member
130
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Romania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueju1121 View Post
Correct.

There is a garbage disposal station on my usual commute route, and I can always smell it in the iX. I cannot smell it at all in the EQS, which is a huge plus for me. I can always turn on internal circulation in the iX, but the iDrve 8 is not making it very easy while driving.
You can use voice assistant. I found out that it is pretty handy.
Appreciate 2
xueju1121588.00
eddj342.50
      04-28-2023, 10:00 PM   #7
pjack1
New Member
27
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: BMW ix M60
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

how about body roll?

Hi,

I have a iX M60 and am getting a EQS SUV 580 next month, just a little bit worry about body roll during cornering. M60 already has more body roll than my '21 GLE63S (sold for iX m60). Do you think in EQS SUV 580 in sport mode, has greater or just about equal body roll? or maybe less?


Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 10:17 PM   #8
xueju1121
Lieutenant
xueju1121's Avatar
United_States
588
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: McLean, Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjack1 View Post
Hi,

I have a iX M60 and am getting a EQS SUV 580 next month, just a little bit worry about body roll during cornering. M60 already has more body roll than my '21 GLE63S (sold for iX m60). Do you think in EQS SUV 580 in sport mode, has greater or just about equal body roll? or maybe less?


Thanks in advance!
Evening.

I haven't tried spirited driving using the Sport mode yet. However, the EQS is heavier and larger, and the suspension is softer. So I imagine it would have a greater body roll than the iX.

That being said, I will try it out tomorrow and let you know.
__________________
From X3 to X5M to X7 to X5M again to iX M60
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 11:30 PM   #9
nosnoop
Major
Canada
783
Rep
1,198
Posts

Drives: 5 Series
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Regarding EQS SUV, do you use Apple Music? How do you find Dolby Atmos + Apple Music?

Can the EQS do all the smart charging functions via the Mercedes App? Do you need a smart EVSE for the car?
TIA!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 11:45 PM   #10
xueju1121
Lieutenant
xueju1121's Avatar
United_States
588
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: McLean, Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Regarding EQS SUV, do you use Apple Music? How do you find Dolby Atmos + Apple Music?

Can the EQS do all the smart charging functions via the Mercedes App? Do you need a smart EVSE for the car?
TIA!
Evening.

I use Apple CarPlay to access my music library. The EQS has built-in Apple Music, but I haven’t compared the sound quality to Apple CarPlay.

The Burmester sound system in the EQS is less powerful on paper than the B&W system in the iX, but it is equally impressive in person. It doesn’t have the “shaker” in the seats, tho.

Regarding charging, yes, the Mercedes Me Connect app will ask you to set up a “Mercedes Me” contract to do plug & charge at EA and ChargePoint stations for two years. EA also offers 30 minutes free-charge session, similar to the iX offer.

Please note that Mercedes doesn't provide any portable level-2 charger with any EQS, so you will have to either use the BMW one or buy a new level-2 charger. I have been using the one from my old 20 E-Tron to charge the EQS without any issues.

Hope this answers your question.
Attached Images
  
__________________
From X3 to X5M to X7 to X5M again to iX M60
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2023, 12:19 AM   #11
pjack1
New Member
27
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: BMW ix M60
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueju1121 View Post
Evening.

I haven't tried spirited driving using the Sport mode yet. However, the EQS is heavier and larger, and the suspension is softer. So I imagine it would have a greater body roll than the iX.

That being said, I will try it out tomorrow and let you know.

awesome! looking forward to hear from you! Does the EQS SUV also lowers its air suspention a little bit when you switch it to sport mode?

Thanks~
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 03:54 AM   #12
xueju1121
Lieutenant
xueju1121's Avatar
United_States
588
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: McLean, Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjack1 View Post
awesome! looking forward to hear from you! Does the EQS SUV also lowers its air suspention a little bit when you switch it to sport mode?

Thanks~
So, I tried the Sport Mode today. I took an on-ramp to I-95 at around 45 to 50 mph, and the tilt angle, according to MBUX, was approximately 2.5 degrees. Not bad, considering the weight of more than 6,500 lbs.

I didn’t notice the ride height difference between Comfort and Sport, but in both modes, the suspension lowers itself during highway speed.

Even in Sport Mode, the EQS is softer than the iX in Comfort. It is truly a comfortable cruiser.
__________________
From X3 to X5M to X7 to X5M again to iX M60
Appreciate 2
deutsch1001938.00
Paladin13424.50
      05-01-2023, 08:33 AM   #13
functimonious
Private
91
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: MB
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Santa Monica, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueju1121 View Post
4,000 miles per month during my seven months of ownership.
Tell me you’re a drug mule without telling me you’re a drug mule. Geez, that’s a lot of driving, glad you’re doing it in comfort. Congrats on both cars.
Appreciate 5
Jd1970.00
deutsch1001938.00
xueju1121588.00
admranger2781.00
      05-01-2023, 10:11 AM   #14
GOLFFRR
GOLFFRR's Avatar
9613
Rep
26,673
Posts

Drives: GOLFFRR cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: we sell BMWs to "ALL" US states

iTrader: (4)

4k miles a month!! wow
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:jmiller@stevethomasbmw.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 1
xueju1121588.00
      05-01-2023, 10:43 AM   #15
jettie1767
Captain
United_States
129
Rep
730
Posts

Drives: '21 BMW X6M Competition
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colts Neck, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xueju1121 View Post
Greeting gents,

My iX M60 is now officially crossing 28K miles, which means I have been driving, on average, 4,000 miles per month during my seven months of ownership. How time flies!

Two weeks ago, I finally pulled the trigger on a 2023 EQS 580 SUV, fully loaded with an MSRP of $149K.

Now I have been driving both for 14 days, and I would like to share my observations with you all.

Exterior Style:

Neither of them is pretty by ordinary standards, and both of them are designed in wind tunnels. That being said, the iX is more sporty. The EQS SUV is also longer and taller than the iX. Of course, the look is objective.

Interior Style:

The EQS “feels” more advanced, thanks to the standard Hyper Screen in 580 trim. The HVAC system in the EQS has more functions, including a HEPA filter and fragrance. Mine also comes with five zones system so I can individually control the temperature in the trunk/third row.

Quality-wise, I feel like the iX is actually built better. The EQS uses more premium materials in more places. For instance, leather-covered lower parts and suede headliner, but for some reason, the front passenger seat is squeaking. The iX is rattle free.

I am heading to the MB dealer tomorrow to see if they can fix the squeaking.

Quietness:

I have to give this to the EQS. Mine comes with the acoustic comfort package, which includes laminated glasses all around. This is one package that I wished BMW had offered. The duel pane glasses definitely suppress traffic and wind noise better.

That being said, I’m still surprised by how quiet the iX is, especially with single-pane glasses. BMW did a good job isolating the cabin.

Driving:

No doubt, the iX drives better. The EQS is more comfortable, and the airmatic suspension is brilliant. Some may like the feel. If you have driven a full-size Range Rover, you know the feeling. Very floaty.

However, the EQS has 10 degrees of rear-wheel steering, which makes a massive difference in city driving. The turning circle of the EQS is smaller than the A class. The iX only offers 2.5 degrees, which is still good since it is smaller than the enormous EQS.

Efficiency:

The iX is better. The 23 model year EQS doesn’t come with the heat pump or disconnect valve, so the winter range will be impacted more. The heat pump and the disconnecting functions will be standard for 24 model year and onward.

Overall, I’m satisfied with both. They are two very different E-SUVs, and they both meet the expectation of their target audience.

I know some of our forum members are considering and comparing the two. I wish my experience can help!

Cheers!
Thanks for this summary! I'm also looking at the iX M60 or the EQS 580 for my next car sometime later this year. Did you do any comparison between the iX 50 and the M60 before you bought the M60? I've driven the iX 50 and thought the handling was pretty lacking.
__________________
'21 BMW X6M Competition - Dravit Gray
'22 BMW 228xi Gran Coupe - Phytonic Blue
Appreciate 1
xueju1121588.00
      05-01-2023, 10:45 AM   #16
nosnoop
Major
Canada
783
Rep
1,198
Posts

Drives: 5 Series
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
4k miles a month!! wow
At this rate, the warranty would run out in 6 more months, and the battery warranty would run out in 3 more years!
Appreciate 2
GOLFFRR9613.00
xueju1121588.00
      05-01-2023, 11:59 AM   #17
xueju1121
Lieutenant
xueju1121's Avatar
United_States
588
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: McLean, Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by functimonious View Post
Tell me you’re a drug mule without telling me you’re a drug mule. Geez, that’s a lot of driving, glad you’re doing it in comfort. Congrats on both cars.
Thanks!

I have been driving approximately 180 miles daily on weekdays and about 140 miles over the weekend. I do a lot of business calls during my commute, which is why I value built quality and quietness more than anything, especially for EVs. In my old Tesla, no one can hear anything above 70 mph.
__________________
From X3 to X5M to X7 to X5M again to iX M60
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 12:00 PM   #18
xueju1121
Lieutenant
xueju1121's Avatar
United_States
588
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: McLean, Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
At this rate, the warranty would run out in 6 more months, and the battery warranty would run out in 3 more years!
Yes, it would, so I am now splitting my commute between two EVs to reduce the wear lol.
__________________
From X3 to X5M to X7 to X5M again to iX M60
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 12:05 PM   #19
xueju1121
Lieutenant
xueju1121's Avatar
United_States
588
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: McLean, Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
Thanks for this summary! I'm also looking at the iX M60 or the EQS 580 for my next car sometime later this year. Did you do any comparison between the iX 50 and the M60 before you bought the M60? I've driven the iX 50 and thought the handling was pretty lacking.
I haven't driven an iX 50 yet, so I am not qualified to say. But the 50 is fast enough for most people, especially in the US, where the speed limit is restricted and monitored by Troopers.

Handling-wise, the front and rear anti-roll bars are stiffer in the M60, so it helps the handling by sacrificing a degree of comfort.
__________________
From X3 to X5M to X7 to X5M again to iX M60
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 12:12 PM   #20
xueju1121
Lieutenant
xueju1121's Avatar
United_States
588
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: McLean, Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
4k miles a month!! wow
I know. Car manufacturers could’ve hired me for accelerated wear tests. Thinking about all the money I could’ve earned, lol.
__________________
From X3 to X5M to X7 to X5M again to iX M60
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR9613.00
      05-01-2023, 02:33 PM   #21
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
1572
Rep
1,610
Posts

Drives: Slow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SlowCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Regarding EQS SUV, do you use Apple Music? How do you find Dolby Atmos + Apple Music?

Can the EQS do all the smart charging functions via the Mercedes App? Do you need a smart EVSE for the car?
TIA!
All of the smart charge functions for things like only charging during off peak hours etc. are in the Mercedes Me app.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 02:38 PM   #22
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
1572
Rep
1,610
Posts

Drives: Slow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SlowCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjack1 View Post
awesome! looking forward to hear from you! Does the EQS SUV also lowers its air suspention a little bit when you switch it to sport mode?

Thanks~
We only have the 450+ sedan, but the body roll is actually minimal for such a plush ride in the Mercedes. It is surprisingly quick on back roads in relation to the ride quality.

One other note, Mercedes changed the rebound characteristics between the sedan and SUV. The SUV is much more. controlled than the sedan with a slower rebound tune. It is very pronounced when driving them back to back.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST