Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-25-2023, 12:00 AM   #1
iCARMIX
iCARMIX
iCARMIX's Avatar
Hong Kong
66
Rep
498
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

High-end iX M Power brakes upgrade

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I know some will say that with the regenerative braking, thereís little need to go for a higher performance brake kit, but some customers I have are all about modding, swapping, upgrading etc., and that can be a genuinely interesting perspective. This is an upgrade that took a whole day, so expect to have to leave the car at the shop for a few hours.
This kit adopts the front 6 POT and rear 1 POT design, with 395mm and 370mm brake discs respectively. The discs are larger, semi-floating, with stronger heat dissipation effectively increasing your iXís performance and safety. The pistons inside the caliper are arranged by size in descending order, for a smoother braking effect.

So, who can I recommend this kit for? Because, it is true that you can get a good result by just getting a 4 POT M Performance kit. I think that, if you want to really stand out, and get to the highest performance level, this is something you can consider.

I'll let the photos continue the talking
Attached Images
          
__________________
Appreciate 12
      08-25-2023, 09:07 AM   #2
M2Cmtl
Major
843
Rep
1,111
Posts

Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

shame the wheels cover most of the brakes...
__________________
2020 M2C 24.04.2020 delivery - Sold 24.08.22
Appreciate 3
///M TOWN9214.00
The_Werm195.50
JustChris17079.00
      08-25-2023, 09:11 AM   #3
VirtualGuitars
Brigadier General
VirtualGuitars's Avatar
United_States
5803
Rep
4,414
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Iím not sure I want to know how much these will cost. Assuming theyíre a lot (plus labor), as first glance it seems like a waste of money. After all, the iX is not a sports car nor does it even pretend to handle like one. Itís not like youíre going to take one out on the track and need the extra braking power in the corners. With all of that being said, Iím very happy with the factory brakes that were supplied with my iX M60. They do look good.
Appreciate 5
Merlin_83449.00
deutsch1002509.50
Paladin14513.50
iCARMIX66.00
      08-25-2023, 09:19 AM   #4
Pictor
Major
United_States
1048
Rep
1,050
Posts

Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I have questions. I'll ask the more positive questions here...

1. How much unsprung weight do these upgrades introduce?

2. What's the difference in stopping power?

3. How do these improve on temperature dissipation? Looking for actual comparison and feedback on brake fade, etc. Not opinions such as 'cross drilled rotors dissipate heat better' but looking for data.
__________________
Past BMW's
2020 X5 | 2018 M550i | 2017 X5 | 2014 535d | 2013 X5 | 2007 530i | 2002 X5 | 2000 540i/6 | 1999 M Roadster | 1989 535i | 1984 533i | 1983 533i | 1977 530i
Appreciate 2
      08-25-2023, 09:29 AM   #5
M2siast
Lieutenant Colonel
M2siast's Avatar
Canada
2961
Rep
1,559
Posts

Drives: BMW M2
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.94]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
I have questions. I'll ask the more positive questions here...

1. How much unsprung weight do these upgrades introduce?

2. What's the difference in stopping power?

3. How do these improve on temperature dissipation? Looking for actual comparison and feedback on brake fade, etc. Not opinions such as 'cross drilled rotors dissipate heat better' but looking for data.
The answer to #2 is 0.
Bigger brakes are never about difference in stopping power, as that is always the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 09:50 AM   #6
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
MilehighM3's Avatar
867
Rep
3,423
Posts

Drives: Harrop E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Thatís a lot of weight to add to the rotational mass. Curious how this effects the range over the smaller/lighter brakes.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN9214.00
      08-25-2023, 10:02 AM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Brigadier General
VirtualGuitars's Avatar
United_States
5803
Rep
4,414
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

ďJust because you can, doesnít mean you should.Ē
Appreciate 8
///M TOWN9214.00
ricerboi509.50
Paladin14513.50
Pictor1048.00
kjx2866.00
Yorick123158.50
      08-25-2023, 10:03 AM   #8
mindmachine
Private First Class
mindmachine's Avatar
186
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: 23 BMW IX iDrive50, 23 Tesla X
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ohio, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Iím not sure I want to know how much these will cost. Assuming theyíre a lot (plus labor), as first glance it seems like a waste of money. After all, the iX is not a sports car nor does it even pretend to handle like one. Itís not like youíre going to take one out on the track and need the extra braking power in the corners. With all of that being said, Iím very happy with the factory brakes that were supplied with my iX M60. They do look good.
I totally agree a big waste of money on the IX plus more un-sprung weight and a probable detriment to range.
Appreciate 4
///M TOWN9214.00
Paladin14513.50
iCARMIX66.00
      08-25-2023, 12:35 PM   #9
forcefed
Major
forcefed's Avatar
1321
Rep
1,061
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Did everything bolt up perfectly?
__________________
2023 m3 xdrive
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 12:46 PM   #10
Paladin1
Brigadier General
Paladin1's Avatar
United_States
4514
Rep
3,997
Posts

Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
A solution in search of a problem. And not a very good solution at that, on a 3 ton electric vehicle with pretty good brakes already, the major apparent benefit appearing to be the right to say "Looky - I put custom brakes on my car!" But nice to have options for those so inclined. Because some people just like to mess with stuff :

Appreciate 2
      08-25-2023, 02:06 PM   #11
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
kjx's Avatar
United_States
2866
Rep
1,645
Posts

Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Same thing everyoneís saying.

If you cared about stopping fast, the first thing to change are those sloppy Bridgestone Alenza tires to something actually high performance. Thatís the limiting factor to stopping fast (aside from the weight of this whole car, but you canít change the carÖ so).

Next, if you actually benefit from these brakes, it means you are repeatedly braking hard (after repeated hard acceleration), or going downhill on a tall mountain really fast. For the former, the whole point of an electric car is lost. Your converting electric charge to heat and brake dust effectively (with kinetic and potential energy in between). And even in a multi-mile downhill, you arenít using charge recuperation effectively. I can see it in a non-electric car sort of, but an iX?

All in all, whatís the point? Impressing people who know nothing about cars, while also getting mocked by those who do?
__________________
2022 BMW ///M4 Comp M xDrive (Enzian, Kyalami - insta | youtube | bp featured: Delivery + 963M + 2x Enzian!) | 2021 BMW X5 45e (Carbon Black Metallic, Ivory White)
BMW CCA LIFETIME MEMBER | Past cars: 2016 BMW 435i Gran Coupe (Carbon Black Metallic, Oyster White - Euro-delivery)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 02:45 PM   #12
mindmachine
Private First Class
mindmachine's Avatar
186
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: 23 BMW IX iDrive50, 23 Tesla X
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ohio, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
[FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

I only need one guess, but you could be wrong. All you would need to do is paint the existing calipers red. The BMW OEM wheels don't show much.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 03:20 PM   #13
Tallest
Major General
Tallest's Avatar
1079
Rep
6,211
Posts

Drives: 911
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
how heavy is this vs stock and M Perf?
__________________
997.2F30.F11.E86.E90.E90.E36
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 04:29 PM   #14
ilya4min
Private First Class
213
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: Triumph XC1200
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCARMIX View Post
I know some will say that with the regenerative braking, thereís little need to go for a higher performance brake kit, but some customers I have are all about modding, swapping, upgrading etc., and that can be a genuinely interesting perspective. This is an upgrade that took a whole day, so expect to have to leave the car at the shop for a few hours.
This kit adopts the front 6 POT and rear 1 POT design, with 395mm and 370mm brake discs respectively. The discs are larger, semi-floating, with stronger heat dissipation effectively increasing your iXís performance and safety. The pistons inside the caliper are arranged by size in descending order, for a smoother braking effect.

So, who can I recommend this kit for? Because, it is true that you can get a good result by just getting a 4 POT M Performance kit. I think that, if you want to really stand out, and get to the highest performance level, this is something you can consider.

I'll let the photos continue the talking
Don't listen to all the skeptics and haters, the job you did on the brakes is wonderful, and massive red calipers, while unnecessary, look great. The pictures you took are also really good.

You mentioned that getting M perf calipers would have been an upgrade, are you referring to brakes from M60 package, or some other M brakes? We've had the discussion in a couple of threads whether the regular iX50 Shadowline, iX Sport package, and iX M60 brakes are in fact the same with different paint/stickers on calipers, or if there are any differences. Sounds like you're pretty knowledgeable about BMW brake parts, do you happen to have some data about that?

Also, please let your customer know that I will gladly accept the original disks and calipers as a gift, as my birthday is coming up. I'm sure they don't need this junk around their garage!
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2023, 06:51 PM   #15
Pawtato
Private First Class
Pawtato's Avatar
90
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: 24 iX M60
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Ontario, CA

iTrader: (0)

Functionality aside, one of my gripes with my M60 is that they donít offer red calipers like on i4s and i5s. Or better yet, offer the option of bronze titanium color painted calipers and I will gladly pay for those.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 07:46 PM   #16
Blue Angel
Captain
Blue Angel's Avatar
Canada
596
Rep
815
Posts

Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

These brakes look great. For a given brake pad compound, stopping power will only be better from VERY high speeds, or after repeated hard stops. Facts.

I upgraded the brakes on my F10 and I fully admit the mod is 90% cosmetic. They look fantastic, the stock brakes were a rusty embarrassment.
Appreciate 1
iCARMIX66.00
      08-27-2023, 06:38 PM   #17
squeaky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
118
Rep
213
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

What's embarrassing is how horrible some of these comments are. It's nice to see you upgrade your car, rather than be some clown excited about a carbon gas cap or upset that his idrive picture doesn't match his car's individual color. Lol

For the record, I upgraded to 10-piston fronts on our Cayenne S and will add AP Racing brakes to my 992 GT3. Guess I should have upgraded my "sloppy" tires, though.
Appreciate 2
iCARMIX66.00
dazzapb910.00
      08-29-2023, 10:21 AM   #18
MJBO
Major
MJBO's Avatar
Australia
1588
Rep
1,173
Posts

Drives: 2023 M3 CX Touring
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
What's embarrassing is how horrible some of these comments are. It's nice to see you upgrade your car, rather than be some clown excited about a carbon gas cap or upset that his idrive picture doesn't match his car's individual color. Lol

For the record, I upgraded to 10-piston fronts on our Cayenne S and will add AP Racing brakes to my 992 GT3. Guess I should have upgraded my "sloppy" tires, though.
From my read of the post, this wasnít the OPs car but a customers. None of the comments here seem spiteful or mean, simply discussing how the upgrade is of questionable functional value should others consider doing the same.

And I doubt a Cayenne S or GT3 are fitted with such lame tyres as standard.
Appreciate 1
iCARMIX66.00
      08-29-2023, 03:08 PM   #19
Paladin1
Brigadier General
Paladin1's Avatar
United_States
4514
Rep
3,997
Posts

Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
This is a vendor, selling a product that will certainly alter the appearance of the car - at least the part of the brake calipers that are visible - for a fee, time and money. Just like lowering the chassis, this appeals to the esthetic sense of some owners. Functionally, not so much, but we're all enthusiasts here, and personal taste is, well, personal taste, and the more aftermarket options the better for any new model's acceptance and success in my experience. Purple paint is a good look for some. Have fun, life is short, and you're here once (in most religions ).

Appreciate 1
iCARMIX66.00
      08-30-2023, 09:35 PM   #20
iCARMIX
iCARMIX
iCARMIX's Avatar
Hong Kong
66
Rep
498
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
This is a vendor, selling a product that will certainly alter the appearance of the car - at least the part of the brake calipers that are visible - for a fee, time and money. Just like lowering the chassis, this appeals to the esthetic sense of some owners. Functionally, not so much, but we're all enthusiasts here, and personal taste is, well, personal taste, and the more aftermarket options the better for any new model's acceptance and success in my experience. Purple paint is a good look for some. Have fun, life is short, and you're here once (in most religions ).


Absolutely true! And I am also a person, passionate about cars, that simply happens to own a garage in Hong Kong. I have been posting here for a while as a personal account, but now I appear as a vendor because I wanna use my shop's watermark on the good looking photos my designer takes, and also people kept asking me where I get the parts from. I wanted to be able to post my website and make it easy and straightforward. I like your attitude on life, though, it's quite healthy
__________________
Appreciate 1
Paladin14513.50
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
brake caliper, brake kit, hong kong, hong kong car mod, icarmix, m power

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST