Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-14-2023, 08:08 PM   #1
Pawtato
Private First Class
Pawtato's Avatar
142
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 24 iX M60
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Ontario, CA

iTrader: (0)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Mammoth Mountain is now open for the 23/24 season, not even 100 days after they closed on August 6 for the 22/23 season, and I drove my '24 iX M60 up there for the opening weekend.

Name:  ea mammoth.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  96.8 KB
Charging:
I went to Santa Clarita for some errands first, and started my trip from there. I thought I'd top off at Electrify America Westfield Valencia before I left, but I couldn't get 2 charging stations to initiate session. The charging stations made some noises after I scanned my pass and hit Continue on the screen, and just stopped themselves. I still had more than enough juice so I just left for Mojave.

Mojave EA was wide open when I got there so I pulled up to a 350 kW stall, but I ran into the same issue, so I called EA support, which quickly connected to a representative that forced a charging session to start for me. She informed me to try updating or using a different payment method in the pass as that had worked for some people. I spent 34 minutes to charge from 16% to 80% SoC and continued my trip. While I waited I changed the credit card stored in my EA pass.

When I arrived in Bishop, a Rivian was just leaving 350 kW station #2. So I tried that first. It actually worked this time (and all sessions afterwards), but the charging rate only stayed at 31 kW, I waited a minute before switching to the other 350 kW station #3. #3 seemed to be sharing power with 150 kW #1, which had a car (VW?) charging. It only charged at ~130 kW despite my SoC being at 16%. So I moved over to 150 kW #4, which started at ~140 kW.

I spent 40 min at station #4 and charged to 90% SoC before heading up to Mammoth. I arrived at Mammoth Mountain Inn with 58% SoC left.
Name:  bishop to mammoth.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  100.9 KB
The battery dropped about 3% overnight while parked outside the first night, about freezing temperatures. Not much noticeable drop otherwise when parked in the garage for the following two nights.

When it was time to head back on Sunday, the car gained 1% rolling down to the Black Velvet coffee shop on Main St, and used 9% going from Mammoth to EA Bishop. The EA Bishop is by the Vons and was wide open when I got there and when I left. I started a charging session at 350 kW #3, the charging rate was again ~130 KW even though no other car was present, but I didn't really care this time.

I left on foot to grab a Turkey Sandwich (really good!) from Schat's Bakery. I wish the EA stations were closer to the bakery shop. When I came back 47minutes later, the car was at 99% SoC (started from 39%).

I charged one more time at Mojave, 23 minutes from 36% to 80%.

Most of my entire trip was done at ~75 mph on the freeway, for a small section I went up to 77 mph to follow two other cars on the road. I think charging might have added about 50 minutes on the trip to and about 20 minutes on the trip back (I was going to grab food in Bishop anyways) compared to when I drove an ICE/hybrid car., considering restrooms/fueling stops.

(Assisted) Driving:
Assisted Driving made the trip pretty relaxing. Assisted Driving Plus (hands-free) was available through the interstates and on CA-14 up till Mojave. It was not available between Mojave and CA-14/US 395 junction, and not available for my entire US 395 trip from the junction up to Mammoth, which was honestly disappointing. Well, regular Assisted Driving mode performed pretty well and predictably on 395, but I had to keep my hands on the steering wheel the entire time of course.

I think the most fun part and the highlight of the trip, was when the onboard navigation decided to take me through CA-2 Angeles Crest/Forest Hwy on my way home. At first I thought maybe there was some traffic at CA-14 to I-5 junction so it wanted to merge at the next ramp. Then I realized I was on a twisty canyon road. Oh well, good thing I was in a performance SUV.

Sports B mode turned out to be really fun, and I'd do it all again. My skis did roll around in the trunk a couple of times though, oops. The trip was done on 22" summer tires, I only saw a temperature dip below 40įF/4.5 įC briefly on the first night driving up.
Name:  ca 2 1.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  74.9 KB
Name:  ca 2 2.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  146.1 KB
Name:  g meter.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  89.6 KB
Appreciate 11
Road Trip570.50
cfm56d7b5425.00
OciWan186.00
ricerboi589.00
ando1697.50
330 CSi111.00
2srsman39.50
      11-14-2023, 09:13 PM   #2
ssingh1975
Enlisted Member
54
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: '24 BMW IX, '21 Ford Ranger
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Elk Grove, CA

iTrader: (0)

Fantastic mate.

Yeah, I haven't taken mine on long road trips yet but one coming up this weekend (from Sacramento to beautiful wine country, Napa and then San Francisco and then back). Thank god no snow or cold weather to combat so I think the range will be pretty good!
Appreciate 1
Pawtato141.50
      11-14-2023, 09:25 PM   #3
Road Trip
Lieutenant
571
Rep
505
Posts

Drives: Ď23 C8 Z06, Ď21 RAV4 Prime
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

Thanks Pawtato for your detailed, very useful charging post. Hope you got some great skiing in too.
__________________
Week #41 build; arrival ETA is December to the U.S. Pacific Northwest
Appreciate 2
Pawtato141.50
snowbimmer4642.00
      11-14-2023, 09:39 PM   #4
Pawtato
Private First Class
Pawtato's Avatar
142
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 24 iX M60
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Ontario, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingh1975 View Post
Yeah, I haven't taken mine on long road trips yet but one coming up this weekend (from Sacramento to beautiful wine country, Napa and then San Francisco and then back). Thank god no snow or cold weather to combat so I think the range will be pretty good!
Long road trips are totally doable with a bit of planning and patience. Hope you have fun!
Appreciate 3
      11-14-2023, 09:43 PM   #5
Pawtato
Private First Class
Pawtato's Avatar
142
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 24 iX M60
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Ontario, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
Thanks Pawtato for your detailed, very useful charging post. Hope you got some great skiing in too.
A bit too icy and a bit too many people but the opening weekend for me was more about the vibe and the beers with friends anyway lol
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
ando1697.50
Bankerbry297.00
      11-15-2023, 02:14 PM   #6
Jd19
Private First Class
Jd19's Avatar
United_States
139
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: 2023 X5 45e M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 X5 xDrive3.5i  [9.67]
2023 X5 45e  [8.67]
Excellent write up!

Hopefully you have winter or all season tires lined up for your next trip.
Appreciate 1
Pawtato141.50
      11-15-2023, 02:18 PM   #7
cfm56d7b
Major General
United_States
5425
Rep
9,880
Posts

Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

Great trip report!

What tires does your car have? How were the road conditions?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 02:24 PM   #8
IAmSpeed
Captain
IAmSpeed's Avatar
United_States
809
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: 2023 X4 M40i (G02)
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Going up to Tahoe next week with my summer tire!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 02:39 PM   #9
grueber
First Lieutenant
407
Rep
397
Posts

Drives: BMW iX50 2023
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: GA

iTrader: (0)

Getting an EA station to work with the EA pass in my Apple wallet mostly falls. I DC charge at the same EA station so maybe itís just that station.

I enable the charging session through the EA app. That works all the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 03:01 PM   #10
Pawtato
Private First Class
Pawtato's Avatar
142
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 24 iX M60
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Ontario, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Great trip report!

What tires does your car have? How were the road conditions?
The 22" summer Alenza tires. Roads were all clear. Mammoth saw light snow fall two days before opening, so there were small thin patches of snow/ice at one of the lodge parking lots, but didn't seem to be an issue at all.

It got pretty warm Friday noon through Sunday, like I didn't need any insulation layer while skiing, so it was perfectly fine for the summer tires.
Appreciate 2
Jd19138.50
cfm56d7b5425.00
      11-15-2023, 03:08 PM   #11
Pawtato
Private First Class
Pawtato's Avatar
142
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 24 iX M60
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Ontario, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd19 View Post
Hopefully you have winter or all season tires lined up for your next trip.
Yeah, I'm going to get some Conti DWS06+ later this month while they're still on sale. I hope the range drop won't be much noticeable.
Appreciate 1
Jd19138.50
      11-15-2023, 03:15 PM   #12
Pawtato
Private First Class
Pawtato's Avatar
142
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 24 iX M60
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Ontario, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grueber View Post
Getting an EA station to work with the EA pass in my Apple wallet mostly falls. I DC charge at the same EA station so maybe itís just that station.

I enable the charging session through the EA app. That works all the time.
Can the 30 minute pass transfer to the EA app? I tried initiating charge sessions via the BMW app but it also wouldn't start, I replaced the Apple wallet pass but that didn't work either. I think I even tried using the pass from within the BMW app directly, but nope.

The Apple wallet pass had been working for me before with the same credit card untill the issues recently, not sure why changing to a new card solved it. I did replace the Aplle wallet pass after I changed the new CC just to be cautious.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 03:19 PM   #13
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
2009
Rep
1,687
Posts

Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawtato View Post
The battery dropped about 3% overnight while parked outside the first night, about freezing temperatures. Not much noticeable drop otherwise when parked in the garage for the following two nights.
You sure about that?
You would be the first to be reporting a overnight battery drop in the iX.
I have left my car parked in an outdoor lot in colder weather than that and lost 0% after a full week.

To me, that looks like what the car may have spent to precondition the cabin if you either ran that way ahead of time or accidentally forgot an automatic one that ran for the full duration for no reason.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2023, 03:42 PM   #14
Pawtato
Private First Class
Pawtato's Avatar
142
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 24 iX M60
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Ontario, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
You sure about that?
You would be the first to be reporting a overnight battery drop in the iX.
I have left my car parked in an outdoor lot in colder weather than that and lost 0% after a full week.

To me, that looks like what the car may have spent to precondition the cabin if you either ran that way ahead of time or accidentally forgot an automatic one that ran for the full duration for no reason.
Mhm, Iím not 100% sure. I didnít pay too much attention, 3% is simply from that I arrived at the lodge with 59%, and later in the afternoon I had 56% to drive down to town with.

I did leave the car in the garage to unload stuff with 3 trips up the elevator, seat and wheel heating might have been running when I had the doors/trunk open, but not when I left the car. It was also a really short drive from check-in to the garage to the outdoor lot.

Once parked in the lot the car was fully off and no preconditioning was run. I think the temperature Thursday night/Friday morning dipped to below 20 f. Iím sure Iíll get many more trips to Mammoth with the iX, Iím interested in seeing if battery drop will occur again.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 04:10 PM   #15
cfm56d7b
Major General
United_States
5425
Rep
9,880
Posts

Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawtato View Post
The 22" summer Alenza tires. Roads were all clear. Mammoth saw light snow fall two days before opening, so there were small thin patches of snow/ice at one of the lodge parking lots, but didn't seem to be an issue at all.

It got pretty warm Friday noon through Sunday, like I didn't need any insulation layer while skiing, so it was perfectly fine for the summer tires.
My car also has summer tires. May be already too late to visit Mammoth. But there is always a GMC Yukon Denali available for rent.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 06:29 PM   #16
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
2719
Rep
7,722
Posts

Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY

iTrader: (0)

You spent a lot of timing fiddling with charging stations and waiting for it to charge versus the 5minutes you spend filling an ICE with liquified dinosaurs. I donít think weíre ready for full electric in the US. The infrastructure isnít there.
__________________
2018 PB/Black G01 X3M40i | 699M | ZDA | ZPP | ZPX | Maxton front lip | X3M vents | 15mm Spacers | Diamond G20 style grills
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer4642.00
      11-15-2023, 06:38 PM   #17
grueber
First Lieutenant
407
Rep
397
Posts

Drives: BMW iX50 2023
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawtato View Post
Can the 30 minute pass transfer to the EA app? I tried initiating charge sessions via the BMW app but it also wouldn't start, I replaced the Apple wallet pass but that didn't work either. I think I even tried using the pass from within the BMW app directly, but nope.

The Apple wallet pass had been working for me before with the same credit card untill the issues recently, not sure why changing to a new card solved it. I did replace the Aplle wallet pass after I changed the new CC just to be cautious.
Forgot some of us are accessing EA through the BMW app. I think you have to use one or the other. You could call EA to verify.

Iíve stuck with the EA app because of the card reader issues. The app has always worked when activating a stall.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 06:39 PM   #18
ricerboi
Lieutenant
United_States
589
Rep
450
Posts

Drives: F15 X5 50i, G30 M550i, iX 50i
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX 50i  [8.50]
Yikes on the derated Bishop charger. I did that trip 5x last winter, a couple times in whiteout/blizzard conditions (studless winter tires).

Going there is mostly uphill so if you start 90%+, you can get to Bishop and just try to get to 50%+ there in case you need to drive around town there or thereís traffic. If itís cold, most of that battery is going towards heating.

Downhill coming out of Mammoth like you said so youíre using 8-12% to Bishop.

Hopefully this winter is as awesome as last winter! Mammoth iX meetup!
Appreciate 1
Pawtato141.50
      11-15-2023, 06:42 PM   #19
ricerboi
Lieutenant
United_States
589
Rep
450
Posts

Drives: F15 X5 50i, G30 M550i, iX 50i
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX 50i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
You spent a lot of timing fiddling with charging stations and waiting for it to charge versus the 5minutes you spend filling an ICE with liquified dinosaurs. I donít think weíre ready for full electric in the US. The infrastructure isnít there.
And youíre right. With the cost of gas in CA at $5-6+/gallon and the temporarily free charging with EA, electric is worth the pain if youíre looking to save $150-200 worth of gas on this Mammoth trip in exchange for 30-45 min of charging each way. Time is money obviously, but to each their own.

As much as I hate Tesla cars, their supercharging network is superb. Infrastructure is there if all EVs are able to start using Teslaís SC network.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2023, 07:26 PM   #20
sor
Brigadier General
sor's Avatar
2959
Rep
3,000
Posts

Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Especially if you can time charging breaks with meal stops.

That mountain looks like my nightmares. We rarely see it quite that bad in Utah and on those days I just go home. PCMR is probably the worst in that regard, I just donít go there
Appreciate 1
Pawtato141.50
      11-15-2023, 07:50 PM   #21
Pawtato
Private First Class
Pawtato's Avatar
142
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 24 iX M60
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Ontario, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Especially if you can time charging breaks with meal stops.

That mountain looks like my nightmares. We rarely see it quite that bad in Utah and on those days I just go home. PCMR is probably the worst in that regard, I just donít go there
Mammoth is rarely like this too. I guess the crazy past season plus Veterans Day weekend worked together to make this happen. I just pretended to be skiing trees, trees that move around lol

Just like most other resorts, once you make it to the upper mountain PCMR isnít that bad. But I feel like Utah is getting more and more crowded due to the presence of the Ikon pass. A trip to SLC in my iX is bound to happen before my lease is up, and Iím both excited and nervous about it. Supercharging stations canít open up to us too soon.
Appreciate 1
ricerboi589.00
      11-15-2023, 07:53 PM   #22
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
2719
Rep
7,722
Posts

Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerboi View Post
And youíre right. With the cost of gas in CA at $5-6+/gallon and the temporarily free charging with EA, electric is worth the pain if youíre looking to save $150-200 worth of gas on this Mammoth trip in exchange for 30-45 min of charging each way. Time is money obviously, but to each their own.

As much as I hate Tesla cars, their supercharging network is superb. Infrastructure is there if all EVs are able to start using Teslaís SC network.
People always like to ignore the upcharge they paid the dealer initially on sticker price versus an ICE to get that ďsavingsĒ 🙄. Complaining about $5/gal gas while probably sipping an overpriced Starbucks latte 😂
Iíll still stick to ICE because after a long ski day the last thing I want to do is fight for a charger on the way home and wait another 45min for it to charge.
__________________
2018 PB/Black G01 X3M40i | 699M | ZDA | ZPP | ZPX | Maxton front lip | X3M vents | 15mm Spacers | Diamond G20 style grills
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST