Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-09-2024, 12:33 PM   #1
Road Trip
Captain
1283
Rep
880
Posts

Drives: ‘24 iX M60 & ‘23 C8 Z06
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

BMW is Creating "Ionna" a Massive U.S. EV Charging Network, With 6 Other Automakers

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
The seven OEM’s are BMW, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes-Benz and Stellantis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNews
EV charging network run by 7 major automakers reveals CEO, company name

Seth Cutler, former president and COO of EV Connect, will lead the Ionna EV charging network.

February 09, 2024 12:00 PM

UPDATED 7 MINUTES AGO
HANNAH LUTZ

Seth Cutler, former president and COO of EV Connect, a charging services management company, will lead Ionna.

An electric vehicle charging network formed by seven major automakers has hired its chief executive and started operations, the new company, called Ionna, said Friday. Seth Cutler, former president and COO of EV Connect, a charging services management company, will lead Ionna. The network, unveiled in July, is a joint venture between BMW, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes-Benz and Stellantis.

Ionna aims to become an accessible and reliable fast-charging network that enables long-distance travel across North America, the company said. It plans to install at least 30,000 chargers beginning in the U.S. this year. Canadian installations will follow.

Establishing and expanding reliable charging infrastructure has been a priority for an industry faced with flagging EV sales growth. Eighteen percent of public charging attempts failed as of December, according to J.D. Power. Some of those failures were driven by functionality issues. Other failed attempts were driven by limited availability of chargers and long wait times that turned drivers away. The joint venture is designed to broaden the charging network, and it gives automakers more influence on the customer charging experience.

EVs of any brand can use Ionna chargers. The network supports vehicles equipped with either NACS or CCS connectors.

Each charging station will be equipped with amenities, such as restrooms, food service and nearby or on-site retail stores, Ionna said. The network will integrate with participating automakers' in-vehicle systems and mobile apps for reservations, route planning and navigation, payments, energy management and more, Ionna said.
https://www.autonews.com/mobility-re...=hero-headline
Appreciate 10
deutsch1003292.50
darylp310869.00
M2siast5148.50
BPFJR12.00
M_Torx310.50
Paladin15273.00
Scrapula1573.00
co_440i78.00
      02-12-2024, 01:51 PM   #2
M2siast
Colonel
M2siast's Avatar
Canada
5149
Rep
2,739
Posts

Drives: A Family Sedan
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.94]
Was this written by AI?
I thought Ionna was the name of the network, but apparently it talks and makes promises.
Appreciate 4
      02-12-2024, 01:52 PM   #3
timesone
Private First Class
timesone's Avatar
Canada
149
Rep
162
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW X1
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

More like “I own… nah”
Appreciate 10
      02-12-2024, 02:00 PM   #4
ChanF15
New Member
ChanF15's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timesone View Post
More like “I own… nah”

More like “I own yah…” lol
Appreciate 6
      02-12-2024, 02:09 PM   #5
JJacksonIII
Lieutenant
684
Rep
582
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Was this written by AI?
I thought Ionna was the name of the network, but apparently it talks and makes promises.
I hope that's AI. If it's not, the person that wrote that should be fired on the spot. Man, I hate the way the world is headed. And I'm not talking about electric cars.
Appreciate 6
M2siast5148.50
G30 B581515.50
Vak33129.50
LuckyBrand1076.00
Syfres6.00
      02-12-2024, 02:12 PM   #6
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Quadruple VANOS's Avatar
1080
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: America

iTrader: (0)

The EV moneypit keeps getting deeper for these automakers.
Appreciate 6
G30 B581515.50
chrisk03147.00
LuckyBrand1076.00
M_Torx310.50
Syfres6.00
      02-12-2024, 02:14 PM   #7
sahajesh
Brigadier General
sahajesh's Avatar
United Kingdom
2276
Rep
4,433
Posts

Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sheffield, UK

iTrader: (0)

Any link with Ionity in Europe?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 02:21 PM   #8
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
yousefnjr's Avatar
6080
Rep
3,377
Posts

Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Couple of these companies still struggle to understand cupholders, I hope they don’t get a say in food service
__________________
she’s home! '22 M4 Comp xDrive
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2024, 02:35 PM   #9
sittingmongoose
Captain
sittingmongoose's Avatar
United_States
609
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: 2021 x3mC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Philly/Trenton Area

iTrader: (1)

I don’t understand why? Why reinvent the wheel. Just invest in the supercharger network. It’s the only one that has been reliable thus far.
__________________
21 x3mC
Previous:
08 e90 M3, 02 e46 M3,2011 335is, 2016 AYM M3
Appreciate 5
      02-12-2024, 02:48 PM   #10
Blau
J
Blau's Avatar
United_States
317
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: BMW 128i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
I hope that's AI. If it's not, the person that wrote that should be fired on the spot. Man, I hate the way the world is headed. And I'm not talking about electric cars.
Cry more. Or... Do something great enough for ppl to follow your ideas.
Appreciate 1
jmack1231259.00
      02-12-2024, 03:09 PM   #11
JJacksonIII
Lieutenant
684
Rep
582
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blau View Post
Cry more. Or... Do something great enough for ppl to follow your ideas.
Nothing in between?
You're upset that I think the AI used to "write" that release is ass?
Appreciate 7
LVBMW483.50
M2siast5148.50
Bankerbry298.00
G30 B581515.50
alic9613.50
      02-12-2024, 03:28 PM   #12
26theone
Private
92
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 2024 BMW iX xDrive50 (7/27/23)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

"EVs of any brand can use Ionna chargers." None of which exist. From 0 to 30k chargers this year. Got it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 04:48 PM   #13
JMD
MGySgt
JMD's Avatar
United_States
611
Rep
1,230
Posts

Drives: See Garage List! ;-)
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NORVA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
They need to be on this like hot on grits,...as this needs to be an around the clock operation!

And Lord we hope it's more reliable than Electric America's charging network.
__________________
JMD
Appreciate 1
LVBMW483.50
      02-12-2024, 08:51 PM   #14
Bmwno6
Private First Class
United_States
216
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 2024 BMW iX50, 2020 BMW X5
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

web site if not seen already

https://ionna.com
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2024, 10:10 PM   #15
sor
Brigadier General
sor's Avatar
3072
Rep
3,051
Posts

Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26theone View Post
"EVs of any brand can use Ionna chargers." None of which exist. From 0 to 30k chargers this year. Got it.
Yeah it reads awkwardly but I don’t think they meant 30k this year. Just that the buildout is starting this year.

The timing is interesting because nobody is planning to use NACS until 2025. I think they will promote their own network with free charging and try to avoid any subservience to Tesla. Obviously their customers will be able to use the SC network but it won’t be the promoted option.

I mean, it’s the only option. They can’t all allow themselves to be completely dependent on one competitor.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2024, 02:58 AM   #16
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
LuisBoston's Avatar
284
Rep
1,833
Posts

Drives: '13 128i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose View Post
I don’t understand why? Why reinvent the wheel. Just invest in the supercharger network. It’s the only one that has been reliable thus far.
More competition is always better.

Especially with Elon on the other end.
__________________
2021 Polestar 2
2013 BMW 128i 6MT MGM/CR. M-sport/Premium/Cold, HK, Xenons, BMW SSK and PE. ED 7-12-2013.
SOLD: 2007 328xi 6MT BSM/Terra, 2018 F31 Sunset/Oyster
[url]http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 5
jmack1231259.00
dominoM291.00
iatacs19454.50
co_440i78.00
      02-13-2024, 11:52 AM   #17
NomoTesla
Major
1800
Rep
1,190
Posts

Drives: BMW iX50
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose View Post
I don’t understand why? Why reinvent the wheel. Just invest in the supercharger network. It’s the only one that has been reliable thus far.
Giving money to the devil is probably not a sustainable strategy. The more networks the better, otherwise we have what is called a monopoly. There need to be multiple networks so that we have competition and pricing comes down. Charging 40˘ or more per kWh is going to do little to move people to EVs when it's now cheaper to fuel one's car with gasoline for equivalent miles driven.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2024, 11:56 AM   #18
sittingmongoose
Captain
sittingmongoose's Avatar
United_States
609
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: 2021 x3mC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Philly/Trenton Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
Giving money to the devil is probably not a sustainable strategy. The more networks the better, otherwise we have what is called a monopoly. There need to be multiple networks so that we have competition and pricing comes down. Charging 40˘ or more per kWh is going to do little to move people to EVs when it's now cheaper to fuel one's car with gasoline for equivalent miles driven.
This is an infrastructure. We tried competing networks and now it’s a shit show. 1 standard is what we need. Multiple apps, multiple chargers, makes a very bad experience. You have no idea what to expect when you arrive at a charger.
Again, I want to repeat in case it is not clear. We tried competition, and it made the EV charging network unreliable unless you have a Tesla.
__________________
21 x3mC
Previous:
08 e90 M3, 02 e46 M3,2011 335is, 2016 AYM M3
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 12:01 PM   #19
darylp310
Captain
869
Rep
646
Posts

Drives: BMW iX50
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose View Post
This is an infrastructure. We tried competing networks and now it’s a shit show. 1 standard is what we need. Multiple apps, multiple chargers, makes a very bad experience. You have no idea what to expect when you arrive at a charger.
Again, I want to repeat in case it is not clear. We tried competition, and it made the EV charging network unreliable unless you have a Tesla.
We want one standard but lots of competitors like we currently have for gas stations. Please don’t confuse a “network” with a “plug type”. I think we’re all saying the same thing but using different semantics!
Appreciate 4
jmack1231259.00
co_440i78.00
      02-13-2024, 12:09 PM   #20
sittingmongoose
Captain
sittingmongoose's Avatar
United_States
609
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: 2021 x3mC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Philly/Trenton Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylp310 View Post
We want one standard but lots of competitors like we currently have for gas stations. Please don’t confuse a “network” with a “plug type”. I think we’re all saying the same thing but using different semantics!
No im referring to network. All gas pumps provide the same experience. But when you have all these different chargers, they provide wildly different experiences. Some charge fast, some charge slow, many are broken. You can’t have an infrastructure that is inconsistent. On top of that, you need a variety of different apps to handle them all. Which is a huge pain in the ass.
None of these problems exist with gas stations.

If bmw came out and said, we are going to build out the supercharger network, but use the existing chargers but they run it and such, that would be similar to the way gas works.
__________________
21 x3mC
Previous:
08 e90 M3, 02 e46 M3,2011 335is, 2016 AYM M3
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 12:21 PM   #21
NomoTesla
Major
1800
Rep
1,190
Posts

Drives: BMW iX50
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose View Post
No im referring to network. All gas pumps provide the same experience. But when you have all these different chargers, they provide wildly different experiences. Some charge fast, some charge slow, many are broken. You can’t have an infrastructure that is inconsistent. On top of that, you need a variety of different apps to handle them all. Which is a huge pain in the ass.
None of these problems exist with gas stations.

If bmw came out and said, we are going to build out the supercharger network, but use the existing chargers but they run it and such, that would be similar to the way gas works.
BMW cannot "build out the supercharger network" because it is not BMW's network to build out. It belongs to Tesla. We have lots of gas stations and consumers are able to choose where to fill up based on pricing and whatever other criteria one has. If a charging network is slow or broken, that's why we need competition so that everyone uses the good ones.

You cannot have one company (Tesla) owning the entire nation's charging infrastructure. The more networks the better, let the market decide. The shit show to this point has been the difference in connector standards, but with the entire NA market consolidating around NACS this will no longer be an issue.
Appreciate 7
sahajesh2275.50
LVBMW483.50
Scrapula1573.00
co_440i78.00
      02-13-2024, 12:43 PM   #22
sittingmongoose
Captain
sittingmongoose's Avatar
United_States
609
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: 2021 x3mC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Philly/Trenton Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
BMW cannot "build out the supercharger network" because it is not BMW's network to build out. It belongs to Tesla. We have lots of gas stations and consumers are able to choose where to fill up based on pricing and whatever other criteria one has. If a charging network is slow or broken, that's why we need competition so that everyone uses the good ones.

You cannot have one company (Tesla) owning the entire nation's charging infrastructure. The more networks the better, let the market decide. The shit show to this point has been the difference in connector standards, but with the entire NA market consolidating around NACS this will no longer be an issue.
The issue has been when you arrive at a charger that is not a supercharger, you have a 50% chance of it not working.
I understand Tesla owns the network, my point was they need to be using the same machines. The market did decide on which was best. Teslas machine were clearly superior.
__________________
21 x3mC
Previous:
08 e90 M3, 02 e46 M3,2011 335is, 2016 AYM M3
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST