BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #2531
F1Venom
Banned
57
Rep
963
Posts

Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

SPX almost at 2k. It doesn't look like it'll pause there though, even though we're up over 5% off the lows made two weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #2532
Patrick719
Lieutenant
Patrick719's Avatar
United_States
170
Rep
455
Posts

Drives: you crazy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to Patrick719
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Gooooooo $BAC
Damn right!! BAC is one of my largest holdings right now!
__________________
2013 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige - stage II
2009 Mercedes C300 - the wife's whip
2010 Range Rover Sport Autobiography - sold
2008 335xi Coupe - sold
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #2533
MrPrena
Captain
MrPrena's Avatar
United_States
1506
Rep
789
Posts

Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
SPX almost at 2k. It doesn't look like it'll pause there though, even though we're up over 5% off the lows made two weeks ago.
^GSPC- 2010.
If sheepies on the sideline comes in slowly and slowly into the market, it MAY go higher. Basically "all time high" coverage on media is a LURE.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
Damn right!! BAC is one of my largest holdings right now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Gooooooo $BAC
I was watching BAC since it was 4's. I miss this one. I never thought....


CONGRATS!




Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
wrong thread...that was for the M3 thread "how to break it to your wife you want an M3"....lol....
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1018277
LOL. your thread would be:
"how to break it to your wife you want a GTR AND M3"

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #2534
F1Venom
Banned
57
Rep
963
Posts

Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

DDD and VJET are taking off again.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #2535
MrPrena
Captain
MrPrena's Avatar
United_States
1506
Rep
789
Posts

Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TB

iTrader: (0)

In on Sprint at 5.53ish. At least 50cent more than what I wanted to pay for. Didn't buy too much, so we shall see.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #2536
Razzy
Lieutenant
Razzy's Avatar
Canada
123
Rep
510
Posts

Drives: N/A
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

How do you guys go through your sreening process? Any site or software?

Last edited by Razzy; 08-23-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #2537
Xtabi
Colonel
Xtabi's Avatar
United_States
1571
Rep
2,004
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio

iTrader: (0)

One week until the 30th. Please buy quickly! I need to break the M3 to my wife. Help a brotha out!
__________________
2016 F80 | MG/SO | DCT | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" Black 437M Wheels | CF Roof | CF Trim
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #2538
mact3333
Captain
mact3333's Avatar
United_States
105
Rep
876
Posts

Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Portland Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
AAPL closed at an ATH. Seems fitting. I hope you're right though, I'm getting impatient waiting for an opportunity to go bearish. I haven't been a confident bull for a few months now.
All time high hit as predicted...Targeting 2028 SPX ...within next several weeks I bet for that top...will unload all longs soon to get ready for significant int term selloff...probably when Apple announces iPhone 6.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #2539
F1Venom
Banned
57
Rep
963
Posts

Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
AAPL closed at an ATH. Seems fitting. I hope you're right though, I'm getting impatient waiting for an opportunity to go bearish. I haven't been a confident bull for a few months now.
All time high hit as predicted...Targeting 2028 SPX ...within next several weeks I bet for that top...will unload all longs soon to get ready for significant int term selloff...probably when Apple announces iPhone 6.
AAPL was absent during the past two years of really strong bull action all around, and now that it's going parabolic I wouldn't be surprised if the market does top out.
The 3D printing sector has also started rallying again.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #2540
F1Venom
Banned
57
Rep
963
Posts

Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

TWTR closed above $48 which is really bullish. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the high $60s by late September.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #2541
F1Venom
Banned
57
Rep
963
Posts

Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom
TWTR closed above $48 which is really bullish. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the high $60s by late September.
TWTR sitting at $49.5 right now. Looks great for a run higher.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #2542
Myrder
Major
Myrder's Avatar
United_States
137
Rep
1,260
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: WildWest

iTrader: (1)

I wonder how a Russian invasion of Ukraine will affect the market.
__________________
2010|335i|LMB|E92|6MT|MSport|Logic7|335is Clutch|AE Performance|BMS|Walbro|VRSF 7"| 149.7mph NFZ AZ 1/2mi
1992|Pontiac Firebird|Mild 355ci|T56|
-I will look on your treasures, gypsy. Is this understood?-
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #2543
mact3333
Captain
mact3333's Avatar
United_States
105
Rep
876
Posts

Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Portland Area

iTrader: (1)

soooooo....anyone follow me in with the sand fracking plays?...SLCA, HCLP, EMES!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #2544
F1Venom
Banned
57
Rep
963
Posts

Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333
soooooo....anyone follow me in with the sand fracking plays?...SLCA, HCLP, EMES!!!
Jesus....
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #2545
MrPrena
Captain
MrPrena's Avatar
United_States
1506
Rep
789
Posts

Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
soooooo....anyone follow me in with the sand fracking plays?...SLCA, HCLP, EMES!!!
Actually, I am follower of F1Venom, because he was more aggressive than I was on TWTR 2mo ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #2546
Xtabi
Colonel
Xtabi's Avatar
United_States
1571
Rep
2,004
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi
Did you guys buy MSFT as I advised? If not please proceed immediately. 8/30 is looming...
Thanks all! Almost back up to the 52wh.
__________________
2016 F80 | MG/SO | DCT | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" Black 437M Wheels | CF Roof | CF Trim
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 04:09 AM   #2547
jasonn
JDM Slut
jasonn's Avatar
United_States
108
Rep
4,233
Posts

Drives: 07 e90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
To build wealth I've been doing real estate but always been curious about the stock market.

Put some funds in the JP Morgan mutual fund in early August. Performed decently but the 1.2% active management fee really annoyed me.

Opened a brokerage account around 2 weeks ago just to see how I would do on my own. Obviously I did some Googling to get the quick and dirty on the stock market. I made the same gains as the mutual funds with 5x less monies. So I just cashed out of the mutual funds and waiting for the funds to enter back into my savings. I don't think I have any special skill to have exceeded the Mutual Fund so easily; it's most likely because (1) it's a crazy Bull market and everything is going up and (2) I had actual stock picks which rise in value much more quickly than the 20 or so ETFs/index funds of the Mutual Fund.

Quick questions guys, do you guys trade very frequently? Does trading a lot create a mess for your accountant at the end of the year? Is it really worth it to trade frequently with the trading fees and short term capital gain tax rates? Are you guys just betting really big to make it all worth it? How many stocks are you guys invested in right now for how much capital?

I have around 10 items right now for my $100k portfolio - 3 ETFs which make up around 40% of the portfolio and the other 7 are stocks. When my mutual funds are cashed out I'd like to add to the portfolio so it's 60% ETF, 15% stocks, and 25% free cash in brokerage account ready to go if needed when I find a stock I really like since I really don't want to be selling of stocks frequently.

Obviously I'm eager to participate fully but it seems lots of fast growers and just companies in general are overpriced and this excessive optimism makes me feel like we are tumbling towards another massive market correction. Looking at the graphs and time periods it seems that way also. I know things are different and our economy is actually strong this time but who knows. I posted some of my analysis on FB to try to start a conversation with others since I have no one to discuss about it but no bites. Hopefully can learn some insights on this thread.


GPRO
It's been up 16% in the past 5 days. But by my calculations the valuation is unjustified so I will pass. In practice this is much more difficult because I'm sure it's going to go up up up up for a period of time before a correction occurs, if any.


SBUX
Earnings up 21.82%
P/E 253.3
1.0194B cash; 2.0481B in long term debt (last year long term debt was 1.2994B so it increased this year, not a good sign)
751.2M shares outstanding = -$1.3694 for each share

"[near the end]...in a growth company, the P/E ratio usually gets bigger, and it may reach absurd and illogical dimensions."

There's already a Starbucks at every block. How much further can Starbucks grow? I'm sure it's a solid company but it cannot possibly keep up with it's P/E ratio.

The counter argument is international growth and also addition more food items to the stores--they recently acquired some food company to help with this implementation.


CMG
The media darling. Pioneer of the "fast-casual" concept. Strong sales. Low debt. What's not to like? The P/E of 59.82. Just like Starbucks, I see Chipotles on every corner already. What's the expansion plan from here on out?

It's clear I already missed the Chipotle party train. Institutional Ownership - 94%. 'nuff said.

Although the P/E ratio is out of this world, at least it is still orbiting Earth. If I can dig up some kind of expansion plan for further aggressive growth I
might take a sip of that Chipotle koolaid.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 08:55 PM   #2548
MrPrena
Captain
MrPrena's Avatar
United_States
1506
Rep
789
Posts

Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TB

iTrader: (0)

I think you did okay for transferring your fund to discount brokerage. You will be way ahead, because brokerage account will charge $6-12 per trade. Other junk accounts will charge 1-2.5ish%.

Yes, you are correct on bull market. Right now it is easy money due to heavy increase in MS (QE activities). If we see discount rate goes up, I think dividend stock w/ low beta will be ones to watch.
Even McDonald Cheeseburger went up average of 50% from dollar menu. I think real estate and securities investment(s) should do better than McDonald Cheeseburger increase.

1. I trade as often as once a week? I trade as short as once a year. I usually keep 3-4 stock per holding. I do this for a living (and some other types of investments), and I just cannot miss. In terms of trade, I did about 90% gain ratio. It is not because I am good, but because of this long bull market. I do good during the bear market too, but I do not do as good when dP/dt is near zero.

2. If you know what you are doing, it is worth trading frequently. Even on a short technical trade, I think of it as buying a business. I study harder than buying a small sandwich shop. It is least little more transparent than owning a small business. It is also liquid relative to small business. Only downside from owning private equities or private small buisiness is , there is little to no income. (mainly cap gain, or short term gain).

3. If I am sure, I bet more $. I invested 100% of my available fund on few stocks I was 99.9999% sure. It was DDS, S, AMD in the past. It did all well.
However, I had to get a part time job and increase my etail to get my cash flow going.
It paid off great, but we were living like a bum. Imagine holding decent amount of $ on portfolio, and living like a bum for years. It was hard, but the capital gain was well worth it for me at least.
My advice is not to go too deep. Why bet the farm or ranch even if you are 99% sure.

Cap gain tax isn't too bad, but short term investment income tax sucks.

4. I usually do my own taxes, and it is easier electronically. It can download all the data from your brokerage house, and you can do the rest. If I do it manually, it will take 3 pages of Schedule D-1.

5. Currently, I only hold 3 stocks. I am going to buy some options for other stock I am looking at right now. If you diversify too much, it is actually worse for portfolio (if you search U of MI diversification studies, and I agree). Although I do this full time, but I just can't do full detail analysis on 20 stocks.

6. The capital isn't as important as change in % rate gain relative to change in time. I would rather have $2000 on my account and have an exponentially faster rate of growth than have $20,000,000 and a slow ass rate of gain.
However, having 20mil will be easier by diversifying into different vehicles of investments (such as some fixed incomes, securities, commercial real estate, etc) and less speculative/risk than having 2000 with anticipating huge gain to make money.

7. SBUX, GPRO, and CMG is stocks i do not have, and won't buy near future.
CMG has a good business line. I was eating CMG for lunch since 1997 (since it came to Denver first). I like CMG, because they are fast. That is it.
They are faster than any other quality fast foods. By looking at the PE, you are already paying for 5yr future growth on CMG.

SBUX..... I do like SBUX coffee, but I just don't like the rate of growth on same store sales.

GPRO- I think I WILL BE WRONG on this due to this being a cult stock with huge followers, but they only sell camera and its' accessories.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonn View Post
To build wealth I've been doing real estate but always been curious about the stock market.

Put some funds in the JP Morgan mutual fund in early August. Performed decently but the 1.2% active management fee really annoyed me.

Opened a brokerage account around 2 weeks ago just to see how I would do on my own. Obviously I did some Googling to get the quick and dirty on the stock market. I made the same gains as the mutual funds with 5x less monies. So I just cashed out of the mutual funds and waiting for the funds to enter back into my savings. I don't think I have any special skill to have exceeded the Mutual Fund so easily; it's most likely because (1) it's a crazy Bull market and everything is going up and (2) I had actual stock picks which rise in value much more quickly than the 20 or so ETFs/index funds of the Mutual Fund.

Quick questions guys, do you guys trade very frequently? Does trading a lot create a mess for your accountant at the end of the year? Is it really worth it to trade frequently with the trading fees and short term capital gain tax rates? Are you guys just betting really big to make it all worth it? How many stocks are you guys invested in right now for how much capital?

I have around 10 items right now for my $100k portfolio - 3 ETFs which make up around 40% of the portfolio and the other 7 are stocks. When my mutual funds are cashed out I'd like to add to the portfolio so it's 60% ETF, 15% stocks, and 25% free cash in brokerage account ready to go if needed when I find a stock I really like since I really don't want to be selling of stocks frequently.

Obviously I'm eager to participate fully but it seems lots of fast growers and just companies in general are overpriced and this excessive optimism makes me feel like we are tumbling towards another massive market correction. Looking at the graphs and time periods it seems that way also. I know things are different and our economy is actually strong this time but who knows. I posted some of my analysis on FB to try to start a conversation with others since I have no one to discuss about it but no bites. Hopefully can learn some insights on this thread.


GPRO
It's been up 16% in the past 5 days. But by my calculations the valuation is unjustified so I will pass. In practice this is much more difficult because I'm sure it's going to go up up up up for a period of time before a correction occurs, if any.


SBUX
Earnings up 21.82%
P/E 253.3
1.0194B cash; 2.0481B in long term debt (last year long term debt was 1.2994B so it increased this year, not a good sign)
751.2M shares outstanding = -$1.3694 for each share

"[near the end]...in a growth company, the P/E ratio usually gets bigger, and it may reach absurd and illogical dimensions."

There's already a Starbucks at every block. How much further can Starbucks grow? I'm sure it's a solid company but it cannot possibly keep up with it's P/E ratio.

The counter argument is international growth and also addition more food items to the stores--they recently acquired some food company to help with this implementation.


CMG
The media darling. Pioneer of the "fast-casual" concept. Strong sales. Low debt. What's not to like? The P/E of 59.82. Just like Starbucks, I see Chipotles on every corner already. What's the expansion plan from here on out?

It's clear I already missed the Chipotle party train. Institutional Ownership - 94%. 'nuff said.

Although the P/E ratio is out of this world, at least it is still orbiting Earth. If I can dig up some kind of expansion plan for further aggressive growth I
might take a sip of that Chipotle koolaid.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 09:41 PM   #2549
Ben2k9
Second Lieutenant
21
Rep
257
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonn View Post

I don't think I have any special skill to have exceeded the Mutual Fund so easily; it's most likely because (1) it's a crazy Bull market and everything is going up and (2) I had actual stock picks which rise in value much more quickly than the 20 or so ETFs/index funds of the Mutual Fund.

Quick questions guys, do you guys trade very frequently? Does trading a lot create a mess for your accountant at the end of the year? Is it really worth it to trade frequently with the trading fees and short term capital gain tax rates? Are you guys just betting really big to make it all worth it? How many stocks are you guys invested in right now for how much capital?
You are essentially buying high beta stocks (stocks with more octane than the overall market). This works until it doesn't, and when it doesn't these stocks pull back HARD

here's the formula for long term investment success: own a basket of high quality companies. At least 20. This is roughly the minimum for diversification. Don't trade them unless you have a thoroughly researched method for doing so.

You can save yourself the trouble of picking those companies by buying an ETF or fund. If it sounds like back to square 1, it is. Trading stocks successfully isn't easy. Use limited capital during your learning process to avoid costly mistakes. Learning process takes many years of consistent study and experience. MANY YEARS. There are no shortcuts. good luck!

Last edited by Ben2k9; 08-31-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 01:00 AM   #2550
jasonn
JDM Slut
jasonn's Avatar
United_States
108
Rep
4,233
Posts

Drives: 07 e90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
I think you did okay for transferring your fund to discount brokerage. You will be way ahead, because brokerage account will charge $6-12 per trade. Other junk accounts will charge 1-2.5ish%.

Yes, you are correct on bull market. Right now it is easy money due to heavy increase in MS (QE activities). If we see discount rate goes up, I think dividend stock w/ low beta will be ones to watch.
Even McDonald Cheeseburger went up average of 50% from dollar menu. I think real estate and securities investment(s) should do better than McDonald Cheeseburger increase.

1. I trade as often as once a week? I trade as short as once a year. I usually keep 3-4 stock per holding. I do this for a living (and some other types of investments), and I just cannot miss. In terms of trade, I did about 90% gain ratio. It is not because I am good, but because of this long bull market. I do good during the bear market too, but I do not do as good when dP/dt is near zero.

2. If you know what you are doing, it is worth trading frequently. Even on a short technical trade, I think of it as buying a business. I study harder than buying a small sandwich shop. It is least little more transparent than owning a small business. It is also liquid relative to small business. Only downside from owning private equities or private small buisiness is , there is little to no income. (mainly cap gain, or short term gain).

3. If I am sure, I bet more $. I invested 100% of my available fund on few stocks I was 99.9999% sure. It was DDS, S, AMD in the past. It did all well.
However, I had to get a part time job and increase my etail to get my cash flow going.
It paid off great, but we were living like a bum. Imagine holding decent amount of $ on portfolio, and living like a bum for years. It was hard, but the capital gain was well worth it for me at least.
My advice is not to go too deep. Why bet the farm or ranch even if you are 99% sure.

Cap gain tax isn't too bad, but short term investment income tax sucks.

4. I usually do my own taxes, and it is easier electronically. It can download all the data from your brokerage house, and you can do the rest. If I do it manually, it will take 3 pages of Schedule D-1.

5. Currently, I only hold 3 stocks. I am going to buy some options for other stock I am looking at right now. If you diversify too much, it is actually worse for portfolio (if you search U of MI diversification studies, and I agree). Although I do this full time, but I just can't do full detail analysis on 20 stocks.

6. The capital isn't as important as change in % rate gain relative to change in time. I would rather have $2000 on my account and have an exponentially faster rate of growth than have $20,000,000 and a slow ass rate of gain.
However, having 20mil will be easier by diversifying into different vehicles of investments (such as some fixed incomes, securities, commercial real estate, etc) and less speculative/risk than having 2000 with anticipating huge gain to make money.

7. SBUX, GPRO, and CMG is stocks i do not have, and won't buy near future.
CMG has a good business line. I was eating CMG for lunch since 1997 (since it came to Denver first). I like CMG, because they are fast. That is it.
They are faster than any other quality fast foods. By looking at the PE, you are already paying for 5yr future growth on CMG.

SBUX..... I do like SBUX coffee, but I just don't like the rate of growth on same store sales.

GPRO- I think I WILL BE WRONG on this due to this being a cult stock with huge followers, but they only sell camera and its' accessories.
Thanks MrPrena for outlining your thoughts. Haha, I wasn't sure if you were serious about the 50% gain / McDonalds cheeseburger example until I read further and you mentioned getting a 90% gain. Wow, to be able to shrug off a 50% increase and make it look like a poor result is really something. For me, I'd be extremely pleased with a 10% gain in the stock market. Real estate wise, on my various holdings, I'm looking at between 8-25% annual return on my down payment after debt servicing, without considering the rise in property value. You are certainly in a completely different league. My best performer is half of what you consider to be a poor performance.

If I am distilling your post correctly, it is better to bet big on a few stocks that you are very confident in; once you know what you are doing of course and have thoroughly researched the companies.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben2k9 View Post
You are essentially buying high beta stocks (stocks with more octane than the overall market). This works until it doesn't, and when it doesn't these stocks pull back HARD

here's the formula for long term investment success: own a basket of high quality companies. At least 20. This is roughly the minimum for diversification. Don't trade them unless you have a thoroughly researched method for doing so.

You can save yourself the trouble of picking those companies by buying an ETF or fund. If it sounds like back to square 1, it is. Trading stocks successfully isn't easy. Use limited capital during your learning process to avoid costly mistakes. Learning process takes many years of consistent study and experience. MANY YEARS. There are no shortcuts. good luck!

Thank you Ben2k9 for your forewarnings. I have taken them to heart. I don't mind putting all of my designated stock funds in an ETF. I might reserve 5-10% to have some fun. Just wondering, how long do you think this bull market will last?

I am not sure how you ascertained that I was purchasing high beta stocks, but I will have to take another look at those companies. I was careful to purchase companies with, among other factors, low debt, low institutional ownership, increase in earnings each year for 5 years, and a low-ish P/E. Today is the first I have heard of the term "beta", which both you and MrPrena had mentioned, so I appreciate the introduction to a term representing a stock's volatility, a variable, I'm sure among many, that I had not considered previously.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 01:50 AM   #2551
MrPrena
Captain
MrPrena's Avatar
United_States
1506
Rep
789
Posts

Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TB

iTrader: (0)

Sorry for misunderstanding.
I meant 90% as 9/10 trade has been all gains since 2006.
Don't give me too much credit for it during 2007-2009. I had to bag hold few stocks till it was on positive side.

edit to add:
Yeah, Beta is basically a "multiples" of risk volatility.
Depends on which school (Econ or Finance), they will approach you with capm systemetic risk, or basically a scaler multiple of risk respect to change in indices.
For an good example would be if "beta" is 2, and the stock is in S&P500. If S&P500 went up 5% in 1month, you should "expect" the stock to go up 10%. If it went up lower than 2% , it didn't do good.
If S&P500 went up 5% and if your stock went up 8%, you actually did not beat the market.
Here are basic models which some "finance for dummies" classes teaches.
http://quant.stackexchange.com/quest...-line-straight
http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/h...lculation.html
http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/h...lculation.html
http://www.finquiz.com/blog/2013/04/...h-derivatives/
http://www.columbia.edu/~ks20/FE-Not...Notes-CAPM.pdf




Quote:
In terms of trade, I did about 90% gain ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonn View Post
Thanks MrPrena for outlining your thoughts. Haha, I wasn't sure if you were serious about the 50% gain / McDonalds cheeseburger example until I read further and you mentioned getting a 90% gain. Wow, to be able to shrug off a 50% increase and make it look like a poor result is really something. For me, I'd be extremely pleased with a 10% gain in the stock market. Real estate wise, on my various holdings, I'm looking at between 8-25% annual return on my down payment after debt servicing, without considering the rise in property value. You are certainly in a completely different league. My best performer is half of what you consider to be a poor performance.

If I am distilling your post correctly, it is better to bet big on a few stocks that you are very confident in; once you know what you are doing of course and have thoroughly researched the companies.
__________________
Beware of Jeff Oliver the fraud at Highland Expedition Outfitters (aka HEO or HEOutfitters) located in Cosby TN.

Last edited by MrPrena; 09-01-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #2552
jasonn
JDM Slut
jasonn's Avatar
United_States
108
Rep
4,233
Posts

Drives: 07 e90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
Sorry for misunderstanding.
I meant 90% as 9/10 trade has been all gains since 2006.
Don't give me too much credit for it during 2007-2009. I had to bag hold few stocks till it was on positive side.

edit to add:
Yeah, Beta is basically a "multiples" of risk volatility.
Depends on which school (Econ or Finance), they will approach you with capm systemetic risk, or basically a scaler multiple of risk respect to change in indices.
For an good example would be if "beta" is 2, and the stock is in S&P500. If S&P500 went up 5% in 1month, you should "expect" the stock to go up 10%. If it went up lower than 2% , it didn't do good.
If S&P500 went up 5% and if your stock went up 8%, you actually did not beat the market.
Here are basic models which some "finance for dummies" classes teaches.
http://quant.stackexchange.com/quest...-line-straight
http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/h...lculation.html
http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/h...lculation.html
http://www.finquiz.com/blog/2013/04/...h-derivatives/
http://www.columbia.edu/~ks20/FE-Not...Notes-CAPM.pdf
Thanks again MrPrena; I checked out all of those finance for dummies links and it's gibberish to me currently hahaha.

For your example, the stock increase of 8% technically still did better than the S&P 5%; it's just that for the risk you took, it should have done better right?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST